collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 120826 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: K-12 Schools & COVID
« Reply #1200 on: October 25, 2022, 01:04:38 PM »
Pointing out the hypocrisy by so many on this board is not disingenuous.  I am not advocating for schools to be shut down cause the current RSV outbreak but nor was I advocating to keep schools closed during Covid, I’ve been consistent. 

I’m asking why all those on this board who argued to keep schools closed cause Covid risked filling up hospitals aren’t also advocating for the same preventative measures now when there are other respiratory illnesses that are actually filling up children’s hospitals across the country leading to delayed treatments, surgeries, etc. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1201 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:11 PM »
Similar, if looking at young kids very low for both. Since there is no vaccine for RSV I included a link below looking at IFR of Covid pre vaccine rollout to try and get as good of an apples to apples comparison.  First link looks at RSV vs Influenza and second link has Covid estimates.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/articlepdf/2789446/hansen_2022_oi_220034_1645202343.63645.pdf

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.10.11.22280963v1

The first article looks at the excess mortality rate for all age groups for RSV. The second looks at infection fatality rate in non-elderly people from COVID, they are not comparable. One looks at increased deaths of all people from all causes due to RSV while the second one looks at percentage of non-elderly people infected with COVID who died. In other words, you picked two different stats that sound the same but measure completely different things and measured two different populations of people to come up with a skewed result.

Let me help you, COVID is a lot more deadly regardless of age group than RSV. Over 1 million people have died from COVID in the last year in the US alone. It's estimated that 160,000 people a year die from RSV globally. RSV is deadlier specifically for children aged 5 and under.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:38:52 PM by TAMU, the Wizard of MU Basketball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: October 25, 2022, 01:40:58 PM »
The first article looks at the excess mortality rate for all age groups for RSV. The second looks at infection fatality rate in non-elderly people from COVID, they are not comparable. One looks at increased deaths of all people from all causes due to RSV while the second one looks at percentage of non-elderly people infected with COVID who died. In other words, you picked two different stats that sound the same but measure completely different things and measured two different populations of people to come up with a skewed result.

Let me help you, COVID is a lot more deadly regardless of age group than RSV. Over 1 million people have died from COVID in the last year in the US alone. It's estimated that 160,000 people a year die from RSV globally. RSV is deadlier specifically for children aged 5 and under.

Chicos never actually reads the content of the links he posts, as we all know.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1203 on: October 25, 2022, 01:47:41 PM »

Let me help you, COVID is a lot more deadly than RSV. Over 1 million people have died from COVID in the last year in the US alone. It's estimated that 160,000 people a year die from RSV globally.

Over 1 million people have died in the last year of Covid in the US alone?  CDC has the number at just over 400,000 in last 12 months.

Below link compares influenza, C19, RSV, and mis-c hospitalization rates (where the initial discussion started).  Study found mortality was rare for any of the conditions with similar hospitalization rates for kids aged 5-11.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2789353

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1204 on: October 25, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »

Also there's been less then 1,500 total deaths in almost 3 years from Covid for the 18 and under crowd per CDC again.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1205 on: October 25, 2022, 02:32:09 PM »
Over 1 million people have died in the last year of Covid in the US alone?  CDC has the number at just over 400,000 in last 12 months.

Below link compares influenza, C19, RSV, and mis-c hospitalization rates (where the initial discussion started).  Study found mortality was rare for any of the conditions with similar hospitalization rates for kids aged 5-11.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2789353

Also there's been less then 1,500 total deaths in almost 3 years from Covid for the 18 and under crowd per CDC again.

Ah you did get me. I misread a stat, it's over a million since January 2020 in the US alone. In that same time frame, an estimated 453,330 people have died globally from RSV. Still refutes your point.

You keep giving specific age ranges. I didn't ask about mortality rates for specific age ranges. I asked for mortality rates for all people. COVID blows RSV out of the water and you know that.
TAMU

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1206 on: October 25, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
Ya that’s fair and I acknowledge that/never argued overall IFR of RSV to be worse for any age much less for all ages.  Only think I said was mortality from C19 or RSV for kids was rare, then conversation went sideways from there which is required when trying to talk about anything on Scoop.

Conversation started around Childrens Hospitals being full across the country, you brought comparing all age mortality into the mix.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1207 on: October 25, 2022, 04:28:35 PM »
Ya that’s fair and I acknowledge that/never argued overall IFR of RSV to be worse for any age much less for all ages.  Only think I said was mortality from C19 or RSV for kids was rare, then conversation went sideways from there which is required when trying to talk about anything on Scoop.

Conversation started around Childrens Hospitals being full across the country, you brought comparing all age mortality into the mix.

How the f*ck do you still not know how disease spreads?  At this point, I think you must be an act. Because every time you come here, you get dunked on ruthlessly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1208 on: October 25, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »

How the f*ck do you still not know how disease spreads?  At this point, I think you must be an act. Because every time you come here, you get dunked on ruthlessly.

🤦‍♂️

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1209 on: October 25, 2022, 04:55:37 PM »

Do you think the differing mortality rates might have something to do with why there were calls to shut down for COVID but not for RSV?
TAMU

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1210 on: October 25, 2022, 05:34:34 PM »
Do you think the differing mortality rates might have something to do with why there were calls to shut down for COVID but not for RSV?

No I don’t.  Total number of deaths might have been higher without the lockdowns (impossible to know ) but not the IFR.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1211 on: October 25, 2022, 06:43:19 PM »
No I don’t.  Total number of deaths might have been higher without the lockdowns (impossible to know ) but not the IFR.

Well no,  idk why anyone would think IFR would go up (or down) because of a lockdown. But infections would go up no? So if the IFR stays the same but infections go up wouldn't that mean more deaths? So couldn't a reasonable person say that because COVID is significantly more lethal than RSV, it makes more sense to do a lockdown for covid than it does for RSV?
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: October 25, 2022, 06:44:44 PM »
Well no,  idk why anyone would think IFR would go up (or down) because of a lockdown. But infections would go up no? So if the IFR stays the same but infections go up wouldn't that mean more deaths? So couldn't a reasonable person say that because COVID is significantly more lethal than RSV, it makes more sense to do a lockdown for covid than it does for RSV?

TAMU…….
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1213 on: October 25, 2022, 07:38:11 PM »
TAMU…….

Maybe this time is different

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: October 25, 2022, 08:18:40 PM »
Maybe this time is different

It isn’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1215 on: October 25, 2022, 08:28:41 PM »
I avoided the COVID board like the...well...plague until recently. I take it we've been down this road before?
TAMU

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: October 25, 2022, 08:30:23 PM »
I avoided the COVID board like the...well...plague until recently. I take it we've been down this road before?

Many, many times.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1217 on: October 25, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »

You asked if I thought mortality rate would have changed.  If you would have asked the question that you’re now answering I would have answered differently.  No way to know for certain though if infections would have gone up, stayed the same, or gone down.  Impossible to know.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1218 on: October 25, 2022, 09:00:27 PM »
You asked if I thought mortality rate would have changed.  If you would have asked the question that you’re now answering I would have answered differently.  No way to know for certain though if infections would have gone up, stayed the same, or gone down.  Impossible to know.

I didn't ask if I thought mortality rate would have changed. This is what I asked:

TAMU

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1219 on: October 25, 2022, 09:03:20 PM »
I didn't ask if I thought mortality rate would have changed. This is what I asked:

Right, I know what you asked.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: October 26, 2022, 07:48:31 AM »
The pacearrow experience in a nutshell...

You asked if I thought mortality rate would have changed.

I didn't ask if I thought mortality rate would have changed.

Right, I know what you asked.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: October 26, 2022, 12:30:29 PM »

Down this road with pace. He is a troll who specializes at being disingenuous.

Might as well call this "pacing" --> Sealioning (also sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with relentless requests for evidence, often tangential or previously addressed, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity ("I'm just trying to have a debate"), and feigning ignorance of the subject matter. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1222 on: October 26, 2022, 12:49:48 PM »
Down this road with pace. He is a troll who specializes at being disingenuous.

Might as well call this "pacing" --> Sealioning (also sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with relentless requests for evidence, often tangential or previously addressed, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity ("I'm just trying to have a debate"), and feigning ignorance of the subject matter. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate"

🐷🐷

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: October 27, 2022, 06:20:10 AM »
Pointing out the hypocrisy by so many on this board is not disingenuous.  I am not advocating for schools to be shut down cause the current RSV outbreak but nor was I advocating to keep schools closed during Covid, I’ve been consistent. 

I’m asking why all those on this board who argued to keep schools closed cause Covid risked filling up hospitals aren’t also advocating for the same preventative measures now when there are other respiratory illnesses that are actually filling up children’s hospitals across the country leading to delayed treatments, surgeries, etc.

You're not pointing out hypocrisy.  You're only demonstrating your lack of understanding, as usual.  You find the newest click-bait article of the day that gets passed around twitter or facebook and run with the headline.  You're the family and friends I've left behind over the last two years because they are unsaveable.

We closed schools because Covid kills.  RSV poses an infinitesimal risk to basically everyone.  Covid has killed over a million Americans. 

Each year in the United States, RSV leads to approximately:

2.1 million outpatient (non-hospitalization) visits among children younger than 5 years old.(1)
    58,000 hospitalizations among children younger than 5 years old.(2)
    177,000 hospitalizations among adults 65 years and older.(3)
    14,000 deaths among adults 65 years and older.(3)
    100–300 deaths in children younger than 5 years old.(4)