[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 120804 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: K-12 Schools & COVID
« Reply #1175 on: August 25, 2022, 06:47:27 PM »
Probably because they don't have to provide universal service, including kids with troubled backgrounds and/or kids whose family's aren't engaged in the process. 

Also many private schools, if not most, don't provide much in the way of special education, which is the source of a great deal of the shortages in public schools.

You’re saying special Ed teachers get paid a huge premium? Not sure I follow Re: your explanation as to why private gets paid less than public
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: August 25, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
Pay them all more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: August 25, 2022, 06:50:16 PM »
Pay them all more.

It’s not complicated
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: August 25, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »
It’s not complicated

Doesn’t answer the question

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1179 on: August 25, 2022, 07:07:17 PM »
You’re saying special Ed teachers get paid a huge premium? Not sure I follow Re: your explanation as to why private gets paid less than public

The special education comment was mostly about why there are more vacancies in public than private education.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: August 25, 2022, 07:13:23 PM »
The special education comment was mostly about why there are more vacancies in public than private education.

That makes sense to me. Still struggling with why there’s a big gap b/w public & private, and why this doesn’t seem to be a talking point

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1181 on: August 25, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »
That makes sense to me. Still struggling with why there’s a big gap b/w public & private, and why this doesn’t seem to be a talking point

I mean, I did address this in the same post.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: August 25, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »

What's your take? Why do you think there's a pay gap?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1183 on: August 25, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
My wife turned down a job at the local private (Catholic) school, as the pay was ~15k under public school jobs.

Teachers who take positions like that .. are part missionaries.  And that's fine, if they feel they want to help spread their faith to a young generation, passing up compensation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: August 25, 2022, 09:11:10 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/why-are-private-school-teachers-paid-less-than-public-school-teachers/280829/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: August 25, 2022, 09:23:24 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: August 25, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
Quote from: Jay Bee link=topic=60634.msg1465628#msg1465628 date=16614806049p
p]
Thanks for that article that is nearly a decade old and doesn’t answer the question!

Gosh, I'm starting to think you might not be engaging in good faith here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:39:31 AM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: August 26, 2022, 06:08:40 AM »
"JUST ASKING QUESTIONS, GUYS"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: August 26, 2022, 10:16:47 AM »
My wife turned down a job at the local private (Catholic) school, as the pay was ~15k under public school jobs.

Teachers who take positions like that .. are part missionaries.  And that's fine, if they feel they want to help spread their faith to a young generation, passing up compensation.

It highly depends on the state. In TX, most private school teachers get paid more, but the pay range is wider. You might have a teacher making $18k, and another making $165k.

In open enrollment charter schools for gifted and talented students (considered private school, because even though it is open enrollment you have to "qualify" to get in) average salaries are around $88k, and there are bonuses thrown at upper level teachers for every student that takes an AP exam....someting like $300 per student.

In other areas, being at a private school might pay less, but they have complete control over their curriculum, have tiny class sizes (maybe only 10 students), all the students there come from wealthy backgrounds, and the schools will pay for ridiculous trips like to the Vatican, or the Galapagos, all expense paid in the summer for your family in order to "research" for teaching methods/materials the next year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: August 26, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
In open enrollment charter schools for gifted and talented students (considered private school, because even though it is open enrollment you have to "qualify" to get in) average salaries are around $88k, and there are bonuses thrown at upper level teachers for every student that takes an AP exam....someting like $300 per student.

I can't speak to other states or areas, but I coached for four years at a charter school for gifted kids here in Charlotte. The head of school makes low 6 figures, the teachers nowhere even close. I was surprised when I learned how poorly the teachers were paid, and yet they don't have very high turnover. They have willingly traded higher salaries to work with determined, diligent, well-behaved kids who have engaged parents.

That's their choice, of course ... but its not as if they passed on much higher salaries, as the Carolinas have notoriously paid their public and private teachers shyte and have busted the unions. Pay actually has improved some the last few years -- the legislature was shamed into lifting teacher pay over what they get in Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, etc. More middle of the pack now. Slow progress.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1190 on: October 25, 2022, 07:13:20 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/health/childrens-hospital-beds-delayed-care-long-waits/index.html

Interesting.  Pediatric beds more full now compared to at any point over the last two years largely because of RSV and other non-Covid related respiratory outbreaks. 

Where’s the call to shut down in person learning?!?!?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: October 25, 2022, 09:13:39 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/health/childrens-hospital-beds-delayed-care-long-waits/index.html

Interesting.  Pediatric beds more full now compared to at any point over the last two years largely because of RSV and other non-Covid related respiratory outbreaks. 

Could it be because COVID was new and we didn't have knowledge on effective treatment protocols? Is RSV new? Do we know how to treat it?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1192 on: October 25, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
Could it be because COVID was new and we didn't have knowledge on effective treatment protocols? Is RSV new? Do we know how to treat it?

Shutting down schools was a treatment option?  It was preventative to limit the spread which what it would be for RSV breakouts as well being they’re both respiratory viruses transmitted the same way, preventative measure to “slow the spread”.  Give our healthcare workers and hospitals a chance to breath and allow for beds to be available for kids who need emergency procedures, cancer treatments, etc.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: October 25, 2022, 11:11:00 AM »
Shutting down schools was a treatment option?  It was preventative to limit the spread which what it would be for RSV breakouts as well being they’re both respiratory viruses transmitted the same way, preventative measure to “slow the spread”.  Give our healthcare workers and hospitals a chance to breath and allow for beds to be available for kids who need emergency procedures, cancer treatments, etc.

Idiot or just an pretty boy?

I see you're on a legit crapstain heater today, so the question has been answered.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:14:20 AM by Retire0 »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1194 on: October 25, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »
Idiot or just an pretty boy?

I see you're on a legit crapstain heater today, so the question has been answered.

Fantastic response Retire, very on brand.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: October 25, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
Fantastic response Retire, very on brand.

Keep on being disingenuous. It's always been your best look.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1196 on: October 25, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »

What's the mortality rate of RSV versus the mortality rate of COVID?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1197 on: October 25, 2022, 12:02:45 PM »
Keep on being disingenuous. It's always been your best look.

Pointing out the hypocrisy by so many on this board is not disingenuous.  I am not advocating for schools to be shut down cause the current RSV outbreak but nor was I advocating to keep schools closed during Covid, I’ve been consistent. 

I’m asking why all those on this board who argued to keep schools closed cause Covid risked filling up hospitals aren’t also advocating for the same preventative measures now when there are other respiratory illnesses that are actually filling up children’s hospitals across the country leading to delayed treatments, surgeries, etc. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1198 on: October 25, 2022, 12:17:56 PM »
What's the mortality rate of RSV versus the mortality rate of COVID?

Similar, if looking at young kids very low for both. Since there is no vaccine for RSV I included a link below looking at IFR of Covid pre vaccine rollout to try and get as good of an apples to apples comparison.  First link looks at RSV vs Influenza and second link has Covid estimates.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/articlepdf/2789446/hansen_2022_oi_220034_1645202343.63645.pdf

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.10.11.22280963v1

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1199 on: October 25, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »
nm