[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 288425 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 28, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
Ners ... just saw this after I posted my previous comment. I appreciate you being willing to reconsider.

Yes. You and forgetful made better points causing me to reconsider.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #601 on: March 29, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
A disheartening look from an investment analyst I have come to respect after reading his work for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGFd-30FM8
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #602 on: March 31, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »
AMRN....oh my word

MU82

• All American
« Reply #603 on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:38 AM »
AMRN....oh my word

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3556531-amarin-plunges-after-court-decision-on-vascepa

Amarin plunges after court decision on Vascepa

Amarin (NASDAQ:AMRN) has lost its patent battle against generics.

Update: The court found that the generic firms' marketing applications will infringe on the asserted claims of the Amarin patent but added that the asserted claims are invalid as obvious.

Update: In a statement, the company says it will appeal the ruling and seek an injunction if the FDA approves a marketing application for a generic version of Vascepa.

I hope nobody was in too deep on this one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #604 on: March 31, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »
On the other hand, for those who have done the research and really believe in AMRN long-term (or who simply like to do some day-trading), it's a lot better value today. Good luck to all.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #605 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:26 AM »
Ners jump off a bridge yet?  If he's not a liar, he's lost like 80% of his money in two months. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #606 on: March 31, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »
Not yet.  Was a devastating ruling, and I feel terribly for recommending/advocating for AMRN.  The ruling defied all logic.  The judge was an employment and labor attorney, never having presided over a patent case. The USTPO awarded AMRN 10 patents.  There is no "obviousness" behind the mechanism of action for Vascepa.

The science behind AMRN's Vascepa is far more complex than this judge was able to discern.  It is not fish oil.  AMRN will be appealing, and filing an injunction should either of the generics try to proceed with an application to FDA.  I expect AMRN to prevail on appeal, or they will simply litigate the F out of this, thus delaying generics ability to enter market.  They are clear in Canada, and soon the European Union and India for 10+ years.

I bought 1,000 more shares today at $4.07.  AMRN at one time was 80% of my portfolio in November.  I pared that back to 40% since that time due to COVID.  But, this was a big f'in loss for me.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »
Since it is a patent trial, the appeal will go to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.  (Versus the regional appellate courts where most appeals are heard.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Federal_Circuit

The good news for Amarin is that these judges have extensive experience in patent law, and can generally "see through" some of the legal tactics that sway regular district judges.  (I have a friend to works for the medical device industry and has had to deal with a couple of these types of cases.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #608 on: March 31, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
Since it is a patent trial, the appeal will go to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.  (Versus the regional appellate courts where most appeals are heard.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Federal_Circuit

The good news for Amarin is that these judges have extensive experience in patent law, and can generally "see through" some of the legal tactics that sway regular district judges.  (I have a friend to works for the medical device industry and has had to deal with a couple of these types of cases.)

Thanks for posting. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
Not yet.  Was a devastating ruling, and I feel terribly for recommending/advocating for AMRN.  The ruling defied all logic.  The judge was an employment and labor attorney, never having presided over a patent case. The USTPO awarded AMRN 10 patents.  There is no "obviousness" behind the mechanism of action for Vascepa.

The science behind AMRN's Vascepa is far more complex than this judge was able to discern.  It is not fish oil.  AMRN will be appealing, and filing an injunction should either of the generics try to proceed with an application to FDA.  I expect AMRN to prevail on appeal, or they will simply litigate the F out of this, thus delaying generics ability to enter market.  They are clear in Canada, and soon the European Union and India for 10+ years.

I bought 1,000 more shares today at $4.07.  AMRN at one time was 80% of my portfolio in November.  I pared that back to 40% since that time due to COVID.  But, this was a big f'in loss for me.
Sorry to hear that, that is rough. Biotech can be high reward, but it is definitely high risk.  Hopefully this turns around for you.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #610 on: March 31, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that, that is rough. Biotech can be high reward, but it is definitely high risk.  Hopefully this turns around for you.

Thanks.  Classy.  Had to buy back in at $4.07 to help get dollar cost average down some.  I do feel over time this will bounce back.  Psychologically hard to buy on bad news, yet it does create an opportunity if one truly believes in their investment thesis/due diligence.

I agree biotechs are volatile, yet this was one very far down the road, with a massive TAM, which had been doubling revenues 4 years in a row.  With the broadened label approval they got in early December their TAM increased ~ 7x from what they built $450M in rev on in 2019.

Fingers crossed it turns around over next few years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #611 on: March 31, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »
I was thinking with all these debt payments ..

What if we could monkey with the calendar: March 1st has been extended past 24 hours and now will last 90 days, followed by March 2nd.

Nobody likes January, so we'll skip that for the next 3 years and be back on track.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #612 on: March 31, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
I up thinking with all these debt payments ..

What if we could monkey with the calendar: March 1st has been extended past 24 hours and now will last 90 days, followed by March 2nd.

Nobody likes January, so we'll skip that for the next 3 years and be back on track.

Can you also turn my 1 loaf of bread into 12 loaves of bread (times all the items in my refrigerator/pantry) - then I think we're all set to shut things down for your day.  Oh, and free gas, electric, water, internet and trash in that day too.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #613 on: March 31, 2020, 08:27:32 PM »
Its a good idea for long-term investors to revisit their asset allocation. While we typically say you should rebalance your portfolio at least once per year, it is during times like this, when there is extreme volatility that asset allocations get out of balance. Stay invested for the long-term, be diversified, and rebalance.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #614 on: March 31, 2020, 10:55:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that. 

Pathetic, absolutely f*****in pathetic on their part

Not really, businesses don’t have much choice
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:10:52 AM by Keithtisbarf »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #615 on: April 01, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
Can you also turn my 1 loaf of bread into 12 loaves of bread (times all the items in my refrigerator/pantry) - then I think we're all set to shut things down for your day.  Oh, and free gas, electric, water, internet and trash in that day too.

Yes!  There's a special admin menu on MUScoop where we can edit that stuff.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #616 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:48 PM »
Things I am seeing and hearing from people much smarter than I say **** may be hitting the fan hard in the next 2-3 weeks. They don't think we hit the bottom yet at all. Thoughts of S&P below 2000.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 01, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »
Things I am seeing and hearing from people much smarter than I say **** may be hitting the fan hard in the next 2-3 weeks. They don't think we hit the bottom yet at all. Thoughts of S&P below 2000.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Investing is always a kind of gambling. Now seems especially gambly.

Since this began, I have bought small additional stakes in a few positions I already held, but I am treading very carefully, guarding the dry powder I spent a year building as if it were solid gold. Which to me it is.

Good fortune to all.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2020, 08:33:44 PM »
Not really, businesses don’t have much choice

Just want to confirm.  You’re saying airlines had no choice in buying stock buybacks the past 10 years, all while f****ng the customer?

Ok

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 01, 2020, 11:22:48 PM »
Just want to confirm.  You’re saying airlines had no choice in buying stock buybacks the past 10 years, all while f****ng the customer?

Ok

He’s also the one that said he’d be scared to be walking around as an Asian American in the US right now. So, yea...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 02, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »

I guess the question is, how much of this had been priced in already. There is no reason the stock market should be up today.

Unemployment numbers way higher than expected. Cases and deaths through the roof.

Hot spots breaking out nationwide.

Stock market goes up. Strange and scary times.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #621 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:15 AM »
My guess is that a lot of the bad news has been priced in, markets tend to overreact to the downside and I believe the lows were made last week Monday. Of course, I can also be wrong and there could be another big sell-off. The truth is no one really knows and it's been proven many, many times that trying to time the market is not very wise as you are likely to get that wrong.

When people take their money out of the market during these crashes, they are very hesitant to put that money back in. Markets will start their climb back up before the situation at hand is under control and the data starts looking good, so while it doesn't make sense that the market is up on a day like today it didn't make sense on 3/9/2009 which is the day the markets bottomed during the financial crisis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #622 on: April 02, 2020, 11:38:46 AM »
My guess is that a lot of the bad news has been priced in, markets tend to overreact to the downside and I believe the lows were made last week Monday. Of course, I can also be wrong and there could be another big sell-off. The truth is no one really knows and it's been proven many, many times that trying to time the market is not very wise as you are likely to get that wrong.

When people take their money out of the market during these crashes, they are very hesitant to put that money back in. Markets will start their climb back up before the situation at hand is under control and the data starts looking good, so while it doesn't make sense that the market is up on a day like today it didn't make sense on 3/9/2009 which is the day the markets bottomed during the financial crisis.

The market had many, many up days, with significant gains, between Oct 2008 (when many thought it had bottomed) and 3/9/09 (when it actually did, finally, bottom). They're commonly referred to as "dead-cat bounces." Unfortunately, we won't know what these little upward blips are, or whether the market did in fact hit a bottom last week, until we can look back in hindsight months or even years from now.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #623 on: April 02, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
The market had many, many up days, with significant gains, between Oct 2008 (when many thought it had bottomed) and 3/9/09 (when it actually did, finally, bottom). They're commonly referred to as "dead-cat bounces." Unfortunately, we won't know what these little upward blips are, or whether the market did in fact hit a bottom last week, until we can look back in hindsight months or even years from now.

Your timing is dead on looking at Oct. 2008. What happened in early Nov 2008 is a lot of the historical fundamentals I am seeing mirror up to what we have now.

Last weeks gains were driven very heavily by pensions rebalancing and I don't believe it to be indicative of the actual health of the market. If you were able to ride the wave, great. But it's not over. I'm still waiting until sub 2100. I originally had 2500. I am going lower. With earnings calls starting and companies offering revised guidance there will be a lot of movement. Also, as we move into peak times and force of COVID is fully felt we'll see the actual impact. I fear we've only had big tremors so far.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #624 on: April 02, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »

Stocks go up, stocks go down.  Not picking on you personally, but people are too eager to label every green day as a "dead cat bounce".  Some are just pressure release of oversold conditions, some are better than expected "bad news", some are just major hedge funds with a bearish bias taking a day off of short positions.

People freaking out about a green market today ignore the 8% drop on over the last few days.  The futures bounced hard on overnight oversold conditions and then sold off pretty hard once the actual numbers came out.  Aka, the market front ran the bad news the last few days (buy the rumor, sell the news as we often here...though reversed to the downside), and the fact that it was worse than expected kind of erased the second portion.

People, especially in bad times, just assume everything needs to be an elevator down or the market has to surge/crater in real time.

Last weeks gains were driven very heavily by pensions rebalancing and I don't believe it to be indicative of the actual health of the market. If you were able to ride the wave, great. But it's not over. I'm still waiting until sub 2100. I originally had 2500. I am going lower. With earnings calls starting and companies offering revised guidance there will be a lot of movement. Also, as we move into peak times and force of COVID is fully felt we'll see the actual impact. I fear we've only had big tremors so far.

This is what I keep telling people.  The true drops, if they occur, will be when we get actual bad earnings and guidance, not speculations.  We already had one of the fastest drops in history, and people think another 10-20% will come immediately?  Thats just market ignorance and overreaction.

feedback