collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297425 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #550 on: March 24, 2020, 07:44:53 AM »
For sure.  Let's just pass this crap one thing at a time and not cram everything into one big turd sandwich that becomes impossible for anyone to chew.
Ordinarily, you'd be right Hards.  To do as Pelosi and Schumer are doing is normal politics in a normal time.  But "this is the kind of normal politics you would hope would not occur in an abnormal time like this."

Pass the bill as it relates to coronavirus relief.  Then go back and start another bill and add whatever the F they want to add and see if it flies.  But Wags's analogy to a burning house is spot on.

Oh, and IBTL.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
So what stocks are a good buy right now?

Lots would appear to be.

However, one needs reasonable, fairly reliable forward projections to do any real valuation analysis, and many - if not most - companies will have to substantially revise their projections downward for the next quarter or three.

Because of that, it's more difficult than ever to evaluate stocks. I try to work in margins of safety -- say, put my buy zone in the 13 forward P/E range for a company that I normally wouldn't buy until it had a 15 forward P/E. Just one example.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #552 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
No that’s the whole point. It’s stuff wholly unrelated to and unnecessary to the the bill and situation at hand. It’s standing in front of a burning house and withholding water until the family switches to electric cars, vegetarian diets, and a more robust annual charitable donation allotment. All are valid topics to discuss and deserve consideration, but not to the impediment of the situation at hand. Maybe pork wasn’t the right word, I should have said sweeteners

It's hard to get around the election year piece of this whole response. Everyone in Washington needs to have their soundbites they can share with voters to show how dedicated they are to the right causes. Right now, we're seeing a ton of this, and it's making a bad situation worse.

Unfortunately, that's the current state of US politics. It's all about fundraising and advertising. Sadly, I think a lot of it works...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 24, 2020, 09:17:35 AM »
Ordinarily, you'd be right Hards.  To do as Pelosi and Schumer are doing is normal politics in a normal time.  But "this is the kind of normal politics you would hope would not occur in an abnormal time like this."

Pass the bill as it relates to coronavirus relief.  Then go back and start another bill and add whatever the F they want to add and see if it flies.  But Wags's analogy to a burning house is spot on.

Oh, and IBTL.

So the Speaker of the House and the Senate minority leader are engaged in "normal politics" but the House minority leader and the Senate majority leader are not engaged in "normal politics" in your mind?

Also, contrary to the simplicity provided by some in this thread, the Congress passing legislation doesn't entirely clear up the market. We're entering an era where the federal political leadership will claim all is back to normal whereas the gubernatorial leadership will keep with public health crisis management that will continue to restrict economic activity.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #554 on: March 24, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »

Oh, and IBTL.

No, at this point in time, I'm still right.  Pass the parts of the bill one at a time, and get things moving.  Keep the pet projects from both sides out.  You can blame Pelosi and Shumer, but that only shows me your colors, and that you are not trying to argue in good faith.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #555 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »

Oh, and IBTL.

It's all just posturing. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 24, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. My son and his wife are in the early stages of looking for their first house and this is good to know.

I hope things work out great for you.

Thanks for the kind words. I have a lender I'd recommend if they are in Illinois.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #557 on: March 24, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
Regrettably (and predictably), both sides are playing politics. The bill should not contain anything that isn't directly related to directly helping PEOPLE through the immediate crisis.

Any provision to help PBS or NASA (like the Democrats want) should be taken out and dealt with later. And likewise, any provision that provides help to corporations or gives broad discretion to Mnuchin (like the Republicans want) should also be taken out and dealt with later. Things on both sides of the aisle have some merit and are at least worth discussing, but are NOT as urgent as getting help to individual PEOPLE.

Both sides look really bad, and meanwhile, the people suffer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 24, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
Regrettably (and predictably), both sides are playing politics. The bill should not contain anything that isn't directly related to directly helping PEOPLE through the immediate crisis.

Any provision to help PBS or NASA (like the Democrats want) should be taken out and dealt with later. And likewise, any provision that provides help to corporations or gives broad discretion to Mnuchin (like the Republicans want) should also be taken out and dealt with later. Things on both sides of the aisle have some merit and are at least worth discussing, but are NOT as urgent as getting help to individual PEOPLE.

+1

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #559 on: March 24, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »
No, at this point in time, I'm still right.  Pass the parts of the bill one at a time, and get things moving.  Keep the pet projects from both sides out.  You can blame Pelosi and Shumer, but that only shows me your colors, and that you are not trying to argue in good faith.
Then I misunderstood your point because I agree with you.  Keep the pet projects from both sides out. 

The point is to keep this bill related to coronavirus.  With regard to issues in the bill that the right has included that have nothing to do stimulating the economy as it relates to Covid-19, they should be removed as well. So rather than the left trying to include a bunch of extraneous issues into this bill, strip out the issues in the current bill that are unrelated and only add or improve on as it relates to problems caused by Covid-19.  Save the union funding and obamaphones for another bill.  And don't give Mnuchin carte blanche either. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 24, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
Then I misunderstood your point because I agree with you.  Keep the pet projects from both sides out. 

The point is to keep this bill related to coronavirus.  With regard to issues in the bill that the right has included that have nothing to do stimulating the economy as it relates to Covid-19, they should be removed as well. So rather than the left trying to include a bunch of extraneous issues into this bill, strip out the issues in the current bill that are unrelated and only add or improve on as it relates to problems caused by Covid-19.  Save the union funding and obamaphones for another bill.  And don't give Mnuchin carte blanche either.

Dog whistles probably aren't necessary.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:20 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I have a lender I'd recommend if they are in Illinois.

My daughter is a mortgage broker in Seattle and it's a large company. I think she has already set them up with somebody in Chicago. They all probably knew all the stuff you talked about ... but I didn't!

Thanks for the offer, and keep us posted on how everything goes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #562 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »

Well said, Goooo.

You save me a lot of typing with your comments.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #563 on: March 24, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
So...no talk of the Fed buying (bond) ETFs?  Maybe I missed the discussion.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fed-is-going-to-buy-etfs-what-does-it-mean-2020-03-23

To me - clearly the reason the market is rocketing today.  But once people realize that 1.3 billion people in India being locked down for 21 days isn't good for anybody's economy, it'll drop big time again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #564 on: March 24, 2020, 12:18:57 PM »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fed-is-going-to-buy-etfs-what-does-it-mean-2020-03-23

To me - clearly the reason the market is rocketing today.  But once people realize that 1.3 billion people in India being locked down for 21 days isn't good for anybody's economy, it'll drop big time again.

Band-aids on gushing wounds.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #565 on: March 24, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #566 on: March 24, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
This is probably too political of a comment...

But it would help if they'd all quit acting like unnatural carnal knowledgeing children

Both sides.  Damn embarrassing.  What does funding for the JFK center or solar panels have to do with this emergency?  People should be leery of how the money is spent and safeguards, but also badly played to ram other options into this.  Bad look all around.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #567 on: March 24, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »

That was yesterday's big news, rocky, and the market sold off, seemingly because investors felt it smacked of desperation and because they didn't like the Fed firing all of its bullets with the pandemic still threatening to get worse.

The market is moving up today on optimism that politicians will be able to pass $2T+ in stimulus and on Individual-1 saying he wants to open 'Merica up for business again regardless of what infectious disease experts say.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
Both sides.  Damn embarrassing.  What does funding for the JFK center or solar panels have to do with this emergency?  People should be leery of how the money is spent and safeguards, but also badly played to ram other options into this.  Bad look all around.

I can't help but notice that you forgot to mention the $500 billion slush fund along side the solar panels and JFK center funding.

How convenient.  And right after you said both sides.  I am shocked.  Really.  To my core.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2020, 03:33:50 PM »
Sure have missed you chicos
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #570 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:57 PM »
I can't help but notice that you forgot to mention the $500 billion slush fund along side the solar panels and JFK center funding.

How convenient.  And right after you said both sides.  I am shocked.  Really.  To my core.

I did.

People should be leery of how the money is spent and safeguards

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #571 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
Galway, BA up 33% in two days.  Keep it rolling hopefully.

I doubled down on OXY today.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #572 on: March 26, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »
Galway, BA up 33% in two days.  Keep it rolling hopefully.

I doubled down on OXY today.

Saw that, I'm scared to get my hopes up
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #573 on: March 26, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Saw that, I'm scared to get my hopes up

BA is going to be fine.  Government won't let them fail, and they were just hammered with bad news (much of which was self-inflicted) the past year.  $100 was a steal.  $200 was still a good entry point long term.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #574 on: March 26, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »
I saw a good tweet talking about the bailout money that Boeing and the airlines are getting.

"They have iPhones and TVs. Why should they get a handout from taxpayers?"

feedback