collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Investing Thread  (Read 297358 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Investing Thread
« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
BA will be fine, don’t worry.  I bought at $153.  Just ride the coaster, don’t jump off

Thanks, it's was my first buy over 100 that wasn't an ETF and I thought I was getting a deal at 210. So it's been really stressful.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »
CNBC had tennis coach, and apparently amateur trader, Brad Gilbert on to preach doom and a 50% drop in indexes.  What a clownshow from the producers there.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
interesting how you come to that conclusion from my post. Not sure where i say it is "perfectly fine". I will let the experts and legal hawks tell me if it is legal or illegal. I wont let Fox News, CBS, or CNN tell me.
Even Tucker Carlson disagrees with you that it wasn't a big deal:

“Maybe there’s an honest explanation for what he did; if there is, he should share it with the rest of us immediately,” Carlson said in a Thursday night segment on Fox News. “Otherwise, he must resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/488576-tucker-carlson-calls-on-burr-to-resign-amid-reports-of-stock-selloff-due-to?fbclid=IwAR0CAjs4Ch5NkFpAbciKGeRrBKMDWkV6mDFO7HSZJsyCF-m5azT9I9adBk8#.XnSvdZT0kIY.facebook
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
Hiding the unemployment numbers is NOT going to help calm the markets:

"The Trump administration’s Labor Department sent an email to state officials this week asking them to report new unemployment claims only in “generalities” to avoid spooking financial markets, The New York Times reported.

The email on Wednesday asked state labor authorities to only “provide information using generalities to describe claims levels (very high, large increase)” until the Labor Department releases the total number of national claims next Thursday.

“States should not provide numeric values to the public,” Gay Gilbert, the administrator of the department’s Office of Employment Insurance, wrote in the email shared with the Times. The message noted that the figures are closely tracked by financial markets judging the strength of the economy.

Unemployment claims have been skyrocketing as thousands are laid off from jobs amid the spread of coronavirus. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin reportedly warned senators that unemployment during the pandemic could hit 20% without a financial rescue package."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/labor-department-trump-fudges-unemployment-claims_n_5e745dc5c5b6eab7794577ee
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »
Even Tucker Carlson disagrees with you that it wasn't a big deal:

“Maybe there’s an honest explanation for what he did; if there is, he should share it with the rest of us immediately,” Carlson said in a Thursday night segment on Fox News. “Otherwise, he must resign from the Senate and face prosecution for insider trading.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/488576-tucker-carlson-calls-on-burr-to-resign-amid-reports-of-stock-selloff-due-to?fbclid=IwAR0CAjs4Ch5NkFpAbciKGeRrBKMDWkV6mDFO7HSZJsyCF-m5azT9I9adBk8#.XnSvdZT0kIY.facebook

Hell, even his fellow NC Repub senator, dopey Thom Tillis, says Burr has some splainin' to do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2020, 11:26:40 PM »
Goldman Sachs says GDP could drop 24% next quarter. I believe the record drop is around 10%.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »
Goldman Sachs says GDP could drop 24% next quarter. I believe the record drop is around 10%.

This kind of thing is why I'm treading very carefully with the dry powder I spent a year building. I don't mind holding cash as an asset.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »
This kind of thing is why I'm treading very carefully with the dry powder I spent a year building. I don't mind holding cash as an asset.

Ditto. I had a small amount of cash ready to invest when the market just started to tank with COVID, and invested about half of it after the markets dipped. But then when it kept going further...and further...and further down, I decided to hold on to the other half for the time being.

Given that 60 is just around the corner for me, most of my money is in conservative "set it and forget it" investments that I don't worry about. So fortunately, whatever happens with that small 2% is only minimally relevant. Still, I'm not quite crazy enough to just toss it into a fire pit...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #533 on: March 22, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »

JPM (I believe this is who had it) has similar numbers for Q2 -24 but has Q3 +11 & Q4 +10. The Q3 Q4 gains would be records in the same right. I've moved from 100% bonds into 99% Cash to try and catch the wave up. My bond move in February from 95% equity saved me about 30%. Right now I think it's time to shelter in place for investments as fundamentals are all over the place and crazy AF. 
But I like to throw handfuls...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #534 on: March 22, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
JPM (I believe this is who had it) has similar numbers for Q2 -24 but has Q3 +11 & Q4 +10. The Q3 Q4 gains would be records in the same right. I've moved from 100% bonds into 99% Cash to try and catch the wave up. My bond move in February from 95% equity saved me about 30%. Right now I think it's time to shelter in place for investments as fundamentals are all over the place and crazy AF.
Congrats on your move to bonds, that was huge.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #535 on: March 23, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
Thanks, it's was my first buy over 100 that wasn't an ETF and I thought I was getting a deal at 210. So it's been really stressful.

While most of the market tanks today, BA is up $14.    Optimism.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #536 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »

Yeah, we are selling our condo (almost 30% equity after living in it for 5 years) and buying a house (putting 10% down, no PMI). We are going to end up with about an extra $30,000 in cash after the transaction, which I was planning to use to fix a couple things, put a fence up, and furnish the new place. I already have about 6 months emergency fund in cash, not counting the house proceeds.

However, I think I might just keep the extra cash for a bit until all this passes. Furnishing can wait.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #537 on: March 23, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
While most of the market tanks today, BA is up $14.    Optimism.
Optimism of sweet, sweet bailout money.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #538 on: March 23, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »
Yeah, we are selling our condo (almost 30% equity after living in it for 5 years) and buying a house (putting 10% down, no PMI). We are going to end up with about an extra $30,000 in cash after the transaction, which I was planning to use to fix a couple things, put a fence up, and furnish the new place. I already have about 6 months emergency fund in cash, not counting the house proceeds.

However, I think I might just keep the extra cash for a bit until all this passes. Furnishing can wait.

I like your cash plans. One of the problems our economy has is that so few people have access to cash when they need it.

Quick question: How can you avoid PMI if you're only putting 10% down?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #539 on: March 23, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Markets need the Senate to strike a deal.  Bad look right now.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
Markets need the Senate to strike a deal.  Bad look right now.

This is probably too political of a comment...

But it would help if they'd all quit acting like unnatural carnal knowledgeing children

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #541 on: March 23, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
This is probably too political of a comment...

But it would help if they'd all quit acting like unnatural carnal knowledgeing children

Or stop trying to give a movie mogul --err eh --Secretary a $500bil no strings attached slush fund.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 23, 2020, 07:29:31 PM »
I like your cash plans. One of the problems our economy has is that so few people have access to cash when they need it.

Quick question: How can you avoid PMI if you're only putting 10% down?

I took a slightly higher interest rate. Went from 3.185 to 3.4

Payment is slightly less than if I had PMI (albeit for the life of the loan, unlike PMI), and the interest is obviously tax deductible
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:34:48 PM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #543 on: March 23, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »
I took a slightly higher interest rate. Went from 3.185 to 3.4

Payment is slightly less than if I had PMI (albeit for the life of the loan, unlike PMI), and the interest is obviously tax deductible

Thanks for the info. My son and his wife are in the early stages of looking for their first house and this is good to know.

I hope things work out great for you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #544 on: March 23, 2020, 09:39:15 PM »
Or stop trying to give a movie mogul --err eh --Secretary a $500bil no strings attached slush fund.

Read the fine print. That’s not the case at all. And it’s far less egregious than the insane pork Pelosi put in.

Bail out the USPS?
$250MM to the IRS?
$75MM to the JFK Performing Arts Center?
$100MM to NASA
$300MM to PBS?

Not to mention crap about making airlines carbon neutral and intense focus on election funding and preparations.

There is making sure that corporate funding and bailouts are not egregious misuses of funds, and then there is throwing a fit while using an emergency to railroad home your pet projects. And for as good as Schumer is at cozying up to Wall Street, he’s equally as terrible being the mouthpiece for this

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #545 on: March 23, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
Read the fine print. That’s not the case at all. And it’s far less egregious than the insane pork Pelosi put in.

Bail out the USPS?
$250MM to the IRS?
$100MM to NASA
$300MM to PBS?

Not to mention crap about making airlines carbon neutral and intense focus on election funding and preparations.

There is making sure that corporate funding and bailouts are not egregious misuses of funds, and then there is throwing a fit while using an emergency to railroad home your pet projects. And for as good as Schumer is at cozying up to Wall Street, he’s equally as terrible being the mouthpiece for this

You didn't start this.

And I don't agree with these additions/add-ons by this party.

I also don't agree with things like abstinence-only education by the other party.

I don't agree with any of it. Address the EMERGENCY at hand.

Children.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #546 on: March 23, 2020, 11:30:17 PM »

Bail out the USPS?
$250MM to the IRS?
$100MM to NASA
$300MM to PBS?

What a world we live in when funding the usps, nasal, pbs, and the irs is considered "pork".

Sure let's fix the problem at hand before we worry about the other stuff, but seriously????

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #547 on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:03 PM »
Sure let's fix the problem at hand before we worry about the other stuff, but seriously????

No that’s the whole point. It’s stuff wholly unrelated to and unnecessary to the the bill and situation at hand. It’s standing in front of a burning house and withholding water until the family switches to electric cars, vegetarian diets, and a more robust annual charitable donation allotment. All are valid topics to discuss and deserve consideration, but not to the impediment of the situation at hand. Maybe pork wasn’t the right word, I should have said sweeteners

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #548 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:47 AM »
No that’s the whole point. It’s stuff wholly unrelated to and unnecessary to the the bill and situation at hand. It’s standing in front of a burning house and withholding water until the family switches to electric cars, vegetarian diets, and a more robust annual charitable donation allotment. All are valid topics to discuss and deserve consideration, but not to the impediment of the situation at hand. Maybe pork wasn’t the right word, I should have said sweeteners

For sure.  Let's just pass this crap one thing at a time and not cram everything into one big turd sandwich that becomes impossible for anyone to chew.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:49 AM »
So what stocks are a good buy right now?