[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 35869 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
I do. 11am Sunday game greatly limits travel out of Milwaukee if you want to get back at a decent hour for work on Monday. The start time makes it a non starter for alums who need to fly out of Milwaukee following the game.
So, you are just one person. Yes, it might limit your time to leave Milwaukee. Take a vacation day. Like I said, you have 5 months to plan. We had Sunday games last season that were sold out. Heck, make a Saturday game your NMD. Not sure it really matters.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »
You can add me to the people that think this is super lame.

It’s a 6 hour drive for me the get to Milwaukee. While I could take Monday off work - sucks I would have to do that to attend a NMD. I think I’ve been to 5 of 7 NMDs since I graduated, but this may be one I’ll skip.

Sucks the schedule turned out the way it did. Definitely would have selected super bowl weekend over this one, but a shame MU couldn’t get the league to give them better options.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
So, you are just one person. Yes, it might limit your time to leave Milwaukee. Take a vacation day. Like I said, you have 5 months to plan. We had Sunday games last season that were sold out. Heck, make a Saturday game your NMD. Not sure it really matters.

It 100% definitely matters for people that don’t live within a couple hours of Milwaukee. And I’m someone who regularly travels to MU games both in Milwaukee and elsewhere.

panda

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »

Yep - I’m the only alum who flies in for a weekend game every year….. One of the great things about our university is that it draws from every corner of the country and sends grads all over the world. I know some locals forget that, but many of us look forward to NMD as an opportunity to reconnect with friends we only get an opportunity to see once a year. The “pick a different game to celebrate” is stupid as it’s simply not possible to coordinate such a large gathering of alums at one time, in one place. I, like many other out of towners will not be making the game this year because of this lack of foresight.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:39:19 PM by panda »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
Frankly, this lays out every viable take:

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/platform/amp/2019/9/10/20859717/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-national-marquette-day-butler-bulldogs

There was one correct answer. That answer was February 9 against Butler. There was no other choice that made sense.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
Yep - I’m the only alum who flies in for a weekend game every year….. One of the great things about our university is that it draws from every corner of the country and sends grads all over the world. I know some locals forget that, but many of us look forward to NMD as an opportunity to reconnect with friends we only get an opportunity to see once a year. The “pick a different game to celebrate” is stupid as it’s simply not possible to coordinate such a large gathering of alums at one time, in one place. I, like many other out of towners will not be making the game this year because of this lack of foresight.
Yep, it's stupid to group your friends together for a different Marquette game. Got it.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

panda

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
Yep, it's stupid to group your friends together for a different Marquette game. Got it.

Yep it is difficult. And the declining interest of some friends because of years of mediocrity makes it more difficult to coordinate for just any other weekend game. Personal problem I know, but you asked so that’s that answer. I’m sure that problem isn’t exclusive to my circle of friends.

panda

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
Frankly, this lays out every viable take:

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/platform/amp/2019/9/10/20859717/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-national-marquette-day-butler-bulldogs

There was one correct answer. That answer was February 9 against Butler. There was no other choice that made sense.

Seton Hall? I don’t see any reason why senior day and NMD absolutely cannot be combined. Why not have a guaranteed raucous, sell out crowd to celebrate Markus?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2019, 09:07:54 PM »

The logistics of getting people together from all over the country for a random game is next to impossible.  When it's an event like NMD, then everyone has that weekend circled. 

Plus, part of the fun is running into people that you've lost touch with over the years.  That happens on NMD.  Not so much and not in the same numbers on random game days.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »

Seton Hall? I don’t see any reason why senior day and NMD absolutely cannot be combined. Why not have a guaranteed raucous, sell out crowd to celebrate Markus?

Because that will already be a sell out. They don't need NMD to get a raucous, sell out crowd to celebrate Markus.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
You can add me to the people that think this is super lame.

It’s a 6 hour drive for me the get to Milwaukee. While I could take Monday off work - sucks I would have to do that to attend a NMD. I think I’ve been to 5 of 7 NMDs since I graduated, but this may be one I’ll skip.

Sucks the schedule turned out the way it did. Definitely would have selected super bowl weekend over this one, but a shame MU couldn’t get the league to give them better options.

If the game was Saturday... wouldn't you drive those 6 hours on Friday?  Just take off Monday instead of Friday, no?

I am not saying this is ideal, but everyone who is saying it just won't work are definitely not trying very hard.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
If NMD is THAT important to you, the vast majority of people can take Monday off work.

Cubs opening day is on a Monday every year.  I'd rather it not be, but because it's important to me I take the day off work.

You seriously can't figure something out 5 months in advance?

If the game was Saturday... wouldn't you drive those 6 hours on Friday?  Just take off Monday instead of Friday, no?

This.  Just change your travel day.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2019, 10:21:21 PM »
Yes it is... that being said I signed it not so they'll change it but so they know they need to try a bit harder in future years

1800 people have signed it.  If we all make a $100 donation, will MU change it?  Let's Make Marquette Great Again! 

In all seriousness, MU's hands are pretty well tied. We all agree Saturday is the best day but Sunday could work.  And, let's get to the core of it: The real culprit is DePaul because no national network wants to see Jean Lenti Ponsetto's crapshow she puts on year after year despite the Chicago tv market. Can we talk again how they don't want to host MU on a weekend?  DePaul has been milking the BE blind since they were admitted. And, they can't even cheat successfully. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
As an aside, CBS will get at least 20 games, two per school.  Four games will now be on CBS.  Sounds like a sweet deal. 

On FF, I gave the rationale before.  If the Bucks are in town, the operations turnover is more cost efficient to also have MUBB playing that weekend.  All they have to do is swap out the floor.

If Monster Trucks, the set up is different so better to do three day shows. Same with concerts.  So are the fan bases.  All those events are on a tour cycle geographically, so if the Bucks pass on a date, they are shut off for a year.  (Btw, monster truck competitions are huge profit makers).  If the BC didn’t make money, the state will bail them out.  If FF doesn’t make money, the owners lose.

To end this, MU gets far more weekend dates and much better weekend times than in the past.  TV drives more of the schedule than you are admitting. And, it’s the exception when MU is not on national tv.  It’s not all on the Bucks. 

https://www.apnews.com/a460f1fab4584527b51b5f0fe007b5ed

We played at 11am on a Sunday after 3 straight monster truck shows.  Turnover has noting to do with it.

Our weekend selection is much worse in the FF.  It’s why the Lovell & Glow Center* is in design stages. 

*every women’s room will say:

“WARRIORCHICK”
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2019, 10:58:49 PM »
Bummer, likely not coming this year.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »

Yep. My 13-person group went to the Providence game -- Sunday 1/20/19. 17,524 at Fiserv. Great atmosphere, we had a fantastic time. We arrived Saturday at our convenience with no deadlines -- it was nice not having to travel on a Friday or on the day of the game. We had all kinds of fun into the wee hours, we made it easily to the next day's game, and we celebrated a big win.

MU also drew 17,309 on 1/6/19 vs X (and the kids weren't even on campus), and 17,512 on 3/3/19 vs Creighton.

So to recap, the only 3 Sunday games we have ever played at Fiserv drew an average crowd of 17,448.

I get that some are p-o'd that we're playing on a Sunday, but the notion that fans won't turn out just because it's Sunday ... evidence seems to suggest otherwise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2019, 11:32:11 PM »
We played at 11am on a Sunday after 3 straight monster truck shows.  Turnover has noting to do with it.

Our weekend selection is much worse in the FF.  It’s why the Lovell & Glow Center* is in design stages. 

*every women’s room will say:

“WARRIORCHICK”

Moving mounds of dirt, rocks, equipment, production equipment and seating configurations are a snap.  And then reassembling the basketball configuration is like cutting paper with a scissors. Thanks for the enlightenment!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »
Moving mounds of dirt, rocks, equipment, production equipment and seating configurations are a snap.  And then reassembling the basketball configuration is like cutting paper with a scissors. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Well there was an evening Monster Truck show and 12 hours after it ended there was a college basketball game. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
Well there was an evening Monster Truck show and 12 hours after it ended there was a college basketball game.

I believe you. What was the overtime paid? 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »

I am not saying this is ideal, but everyone who is saying it just won't work are definitely not trying very hard.

Leaving work mid day on a Friday and taking Monday off are two very different things. At least at my job.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2019, 04:52:24 AM »
Depaul sucks

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2019, 06:25:50 AM »
Leaving work mid day on a Friday and taking Monday off are two very different things. At least at my job.

You have obviously not mastered the art of taking an early morning Monday flight and telling the boss you have a doctor's appointment and will be in 10-ish. I have done that all the way from Las Vegas.

A true Marquette fan would figure out a way to make this work instead of whining about it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:29:10 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2019, 07:04:23 AM »
Thanks for everyone fighting the good fight. #SundaysOut