[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36272 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »
Gotta say, I did not realize National Marquette Day was that big of a deal for some people.

This was my initial reaction as I started reading through this thread. I actually am heartened by such passion among our faithful. Wolfgang, who has very few comments, was so moved that he has dominated this thread. Agree or disagree with him, I think it's nice to see that energy for MU hoops.

I have never attended NMD but have gone to our local event the last many years. I even was the event organizer for a few of them, including last year. Always fun, well-attended events.

The Butler game was among the couple I was targeting as one I hope to attend this year. If I do, it will mean I won't be home for NMD with the Charlotte MU gang, but I would be excited to be part of the festivities in person.

Last season, my buddies and I had a great reunion around the Sunday home Providence game. Got in on Saturday afternoon, fested for hours and hours, got up the next day, cheered on a wonderful MU victory, and then those of us who wanted/needed to go home did. A couple of my boyz (and wives) stayed till Monday for a lower-key but still fun night.

I imagine that many of us will do the exact same thing as above this season. If so, we will have a great time. NMD will not have been "ruined" for us.

The Saturday before the Super Bowl would have been fine, as well. I wouldn't have attended but would have enjoyed the game with the Charlotte crowd, and then gotten my second wind for our annual Super Bowl party the next night. But I can understand how Super Bowl weekend wouldn't be ideal for many, too.

Agree with those who say there was no great choice this year. I hope that once the shock (for some) of it being on a Sunday wears off, Scoopers will be celebrating NMD in full force.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
Great attitude 82.  The TV thing really makes this a no brainer.  Hope you can make it up.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
Come into town Saturday.  Meet up with friends.   Close bars.   Get up, go to game.  Just like when you were in school.

Will you be supplying IV's and pedialyte to people prior to the game?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
?-( And this fits the national television dilemma or the way BEast (sic) scheduled us how?  (Or was this teal and I didn't get that?)

Teal? 

When we were priority #2 we would submit to the Big East + TV partners a half dozen or more Saturdays that were open.  Now that the Bucks don't just look to schedule NBA games but also monster trucks, cirque du soleil, concerts and the like, we are way, way, way down on the pecking order.  What we submit to the Big East + TV is a much smaller selection of Saturdays (and Sundays).

This is the new reality and one Marquette knew when they engaged Wintrust in a naming rights conversation for the "never ever to be considered" on campus arena.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
Great attitude 82.  The TV thing really makes this a no brainer.  Hope you can make it up.

It wasn't that long ago we were working with Satellite coordinates...we can't find bars that have the Fox sports package?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
Teal? 

When we were priority #2 we would submit to the Big East + TV partners a half dozen or more Saturdays that were open.  Now that the Bucks don't just look to schedule NBA games but also monster trucks, cirque du soleil, concerts and the like, we are way, way, way down on the pecking order.  What we submit to the Big East + TV is a much smaller selection of Saturdays (and Sundays).

This is the new reality and one Marquette knew when they engaged Wintrust in a naming rights conversation for the "never ever to be considered" on campus arena.

We have six weekend games. Fox drives this more then the Bucks.  They need Sunday programming after football. The BE is a featured network on Fox.

And things were worse at the BC.  The BE was one of many conferences at ESPN.  I don't miss 9PM Big Monday games.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2019, 04:02:55 PM »
We have six weekend games. Fox drives this more then the Bucks.  They need Sunday programming after football. The BE is a featured network on Fox.

And things were worse at the BC.  The BE was one of many conferences at ESPN.  I don't miss 9PM Big Monday games.

With all due respect, I don't believe that for a second.  You think we ended up on CBS Sports Net at 11am on a Sunday on a weekend with no Bucks game last season because of TV?  I think its was bc the Bucks booked Monster Trucks on Friday Night, Saturday Day and Saturday Night. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
With all due respect, I don't believe that for a second.  You think we ended up on CBS Sports Net at 11am on a Sunday on a weekend with no Bucks game last season because of TV?  I think its was bc the Bucks booked Monster Trucks on Friday Night, Saturday Day and Saturday Night.

I think you're forgetting how many games were on sports 32 only in Wisconsin before. We have more games available now and they're streamable online not blacked out because of ridiculous crappy TV rights.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
I think you're forgetting how many games were on sports 32 only in Wisconsin before. We have more games available now and they're streamable online not blacked out because of ridiculous crappy TV rights.

And only available in Wisconsin to Time Warner subscribers. I remember driving to 3 bars on a snowy night for a Providence road game back in those days before I found a place that had it on because like me, the first two had DirecTV.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Any one remember the 10AM January 1 game versus West Virginia?  That was hell warmed over. 

I think we hit O'Lydia's about 7 or 7:30. The manager came in after having gone to Potawatami at 4am and won big and bought everyone a round! Fun times!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
I've been setting these up in Connecticut the last 20 years.

Best time for good attendance - A Saturday afternoon game.
A time for bad attendance - Saturday evening or night.  Especially the one year MU decided to pick Valentine's Day for NMD on a Saturday night.   
I'm thinking Sunday at Noon may be OK. 

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »
If it was just my friends it'd be easy, it's the thousands of other people that come for that week. The city is Marquette that day. Nothing can replicate that.

If by city you mean campus and the bars surrounding Fiserv, then yes. Outside of those areas, no one cares it's NMD.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »

Fox sells those games to CBS under a licensing agreement.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
Yes, I'm aware.  Bit I bet FOX would have rather had the #2 preseason team on their own air Saturday rather than passing and giving to CBS Sports.

How is the Fiserv getting such better acts? 

One side is facilities; bigger (and indoor) loading bays, state of the art back of house, top of the line rigging etc but also by putting out much better dates.  We're not #2 (or even #3) and that matters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
Will you be supplying IV's and pedialyte to people prior to the game?
Cowboy up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
Yes, I'm aware.  Bit I bet FOX would have rather had the #2 preseason team on their own air Saturday rather than passing and giving to CBS Sports.

How is the Fiserv getting such better acts? 

One side is facilities; bigger (and indoor) loading bays, state of the art back of house, top of the line rigging etc but also by putting out much better dates.  We're not #2 (or even #3) and that matters.

As an aside, CBS will get at least 20 games, two per school.  Four games will now be on CBS.  Sounds like a sweet deal. 

On FF, I gave the rationale before.  If the Bucks are in town, the operations turnover is more cost efficient to also have MUBB playing that weekend.  All they have to do is swap out the floor.

If Monster Trucks, the set up is different so better to do three day shows. Same with concerts.  So are the fan bases.  All those events are on a tour cycle geographically, so if the Bucks pass on a date, they are shut off for a year.  (Btw, monster truck competitions are huge profit makers).  If the BC didn’t make money, the state will bail them out.  If FF doesn’t make money, the owners lose.

To end this, MU gets far more weekend dates and much better weekend times than in the past.  TV drives more of the schedule than you are admitting. And, it’s the exception when MU is not on national tv.  It’s not all on the Bucks. 

https://www.apnews.com/a460f1fab4584527b51b5f0fe007b5ed
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:46:18 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
Geez, I get busy at work for half a day and when I come back, Scoop has transformed into A freaking day care center.

I haven't seen this many crying babies since the last time I watched one of those Sally Struthers infomercials.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
Marquette has been doing a bad job with game time scheduling for a few years now. I suppose they don't have a lot of control between the Bucks and Fox. At the same time, I'm not surprised it bled over into other things. I suppose we'll just go to our local NMD instead of attending the game or any of the big Marquette fundraisers in Milwaukee this year. Vote with my money

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
Marquette has been doing a bad job with game time scheduling for a few years now. I suppose they don't have a lot of control between the Bucks and Fox. At the same time, I'm not surprised it bled over into other things. I suppose we'll just go to our local NMD instead of attending the game or any of the big Marquette fundraisers in Milwaukee this year. Vote with my money

Marquette has almost zero control over its schedule.  Your second statement is correct.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
Monster Truck was at the Bradley Center for years as well. Those weekends MU was just on the road.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

panda

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
It’ll be pretty embarrassing when we don’t even sell out our own day...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
Geez, I get busy at work for half a day and when I come back, Scoop has transformed into A freaking day care center.

I haven't seen this many crying babies since the last time I watched one of those Sally Struthers infomercials.

Bingo.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:57 PM »
It’ll be pretty embarrassing when we don’t even sell out our own day...
Who says it won't be a sell out. People have 5 months to plan.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

panda

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
I do. 11am Sunday game greatly limits travel out of Milwaukee if you want to get back at a decent hour for work on Monday. The start time makes it a non starter for alums who need to fly out of Milwaukee following the game.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:18:41 PM by panda »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »
And therein lies a problem brother.  NMD is not a 'drunk fest' in the eyes of many.  And you can drink to your hearts content all day Saturday.  So maybe you'll actually remember the game this way.

Insert boo this man gif!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.