[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 35885 times)

panda

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2019, 07:35:53 AM »
Because that will already be a sell out. They don't need NMD to get a raucous, sell out crowd to celebrate Markus.

A Saturday NMD puts butts in the seats no questions asked. Senior day....Hopefully it will but it’s no guarantee. If the team stinks, it will not be a sellout.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »
I,too, actually had no idea NMD was so important. We go if it fits our group schedule, and don’t if it doesn’t, but when we pick our games we don’t say oh, we have to go to that one. I think we’d rather the game was at 1 instead of 11, but we’ll work out post-game plans no matter what.  We do always try to hit Senior Day, though.
As I don’t really care about the Super Bowl, and hate the way football rules everything, having it the same weekend wouldn’t bother me in the least.
Petitioning for a change is ridiculous, IMO.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
I feel like the people who don't care that it's a Sunday and the "I didn't know NMD was so important" crowd is a giant circle.

This means a lot to a lot of people and this puts a big damper on it for frankly poor reasons.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
A Saturday NMD puts butts in the seats no questions asked. Senior day....Hopefully it will but it’s no guarantee. If the team stinks, it will not be a sellout.

Correct, nothing is a guarantee. We should all remember that on this sad day.
Many tickets will be sold next month in mini plans. Seton Hall will be a pre-season, top 15 team. We will be saying goodbye to one of the greatest player in MU history. We can sellout 17,314 for senior day at Fiserv Forum.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
You have obviously not mastered the art of taking an early morning Monday flight and telling the boss you have a doctor's appointment and will be in 10-ish. I have done that all the way from Las Vegas.

A true Marquette fan would figure out a way to make this work instead of whining about it.

Alright, this is just downright impressive.  I don't know if I'd have even thought of this, let alone done it without anxiously worrying if something would go wrong along the way.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we sold out the Senior Day for Chartouny, Cam, and Heldt, (which we did), the Senior Day for Markus, Sacar, Ed, and Jayce would sell out no matter the quality of the team. 

Edit: Looked it up and the last time we did not sell out Senior Day was in the 2015-16 season when Senior Night was on a Tuesday night, and our lone Senior was Michael Mache.  Saturday afternoon game with Markus will be a sellout.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:52:22 AM by Its DJOver »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if we sold out the Senior Day for Chartouny, Cam, and Heldt, (which we did), the Senior Day for Markus, Sacar, Ed, and Jayce would sell out no matter the quality of the team. 

Edit: Looked it up and the last time we did not sell out Senior Day was in the 2015-16 season when Senior Night was on a Tuesday night, and our lone Senior was Michael Mache.  Saturday afternoon game with Markus will be a sellout.

I’m sure all tickets will be pre sold but if the team is underwhelming this year, it certainly won’t be a true sell out.

With NMD and lots of traveling fans, they’re locked into the game/weekend regardless of performance and guarantees tickets bought = butts in seats.

I strongly disagree with the notion that senior day is anywhere remotely close to the marketing/ticket seller that NMD is.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
I’m sure all tickets will be pre sold but if the team is underwhelming this year, it certainly won’t be a true sell out.

Very strongly disagree.  Markus' last game in the Forum will be a true sellout, regardless.

With NMD and lots of traveling fans, they’re locked into the game/weekend regardless of performance and guarantees tickets bought = butts in seats.

Don't disagree, but the scheduling difficulties have already been addressed ad nauseam.

I strongly disagree with the notion that senior day is anywhere remotely close to the marketing/ticket seller that NMD is.

They are both always pushed extremely hard by the University/Ticketing office so even if NMD is a better marketing day (which can/has been debated) "anywhere remotely close" is quite a bit of a stretch.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
I just looked at the schedule again and MU didn't really have a choice on the NMD pick.  If DePaul was a national game then problem solved.  Any chance the DePaul game gets picked up by YES or SNY or RSN like that would make it national?  And if Yes, would MU know in time to change NMD dates?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
I feel like the people who don't care that it's a Sunday and the "I didn't know NMD was so important" crowd is a giant circle.

This means a lot to a lot of people and this puts a big damper on it for frankly poor reasons.

A good night's sleep seems not to have helped.  Let. It. Go.  If this is truly your biggest disappointment in life consider yourself very blessed.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
I just looked at the schedule again and MU didn't really have a choice on the NMD pick.  If DePaul was a national game then problem solved.  Any chance the DePaul game gets picked up by YES or SNY or RSN like that would make it national?  And if Yes, would MU know in time to change NMD dates?

Conn, they're simply not going to have NMD on a game when anything less than (you pick the appropriate percentage) of households get it on TV.  Of course the diehards find a way.  They want the causal MU alum tuning in and feeling part of his alma mater at least once a year.  YES etc. doesn't cut it.  Brew hit on it yesterday when he figured that out.  The choice became totally obvious.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Conn, they're simply not going to have NMD on a game when anything less than (you pick the appropriate percentage) of households get it on TV.  Of course the diehards find a way.  They want the causal MU alum tuning in and feeling part of his alma mater at least once a year.  YES etc. doesn't cut it.  Brew hit on it yesterday when he figured that out.  The choice became totally obvious.

It has always been my understanding that television exposure was absolutely key for NMD.  In fact, it was pretty much the sole driving factor many years when MU didn't have nearly as much exposure as they do now.  As strongly as people who go back to campus feel about the ability to make it to the game in person, people across the country want to be able to see the game on TV.  And that's a much bigger group of fans that Marquette is trying to cater to.  As others have mentioned, I honestly didn't realize that attending NMB games in person was such a big deal -- a homecoming of sorts.  But, there's a reason that it's called "NMD" and not just "MD."  Availability to alums across the country who cannot travel to campus is a huge part of it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:01 AM »
A good night's sleep seems not to have helped.  Let. It. Go.  If this is truly your biggest disappointment in life consider yourself very blessed.
Or nah. Thousands of people want this changed, it's not just me.

O/U the average age of people saying let it go: 45.5.

Taking the over. Stunned a "millennial" comment hasn't been dropped yet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:03:42 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »
I just looked at the schedule again and MU didn't really have a choice on the NMD pick.
Agreed. 2/29

panda

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2019, 10:02:38 AM »
Very strongly disagree.  Markus' last game in the Forum will be a true sellout, regardless.

Don't disagree, but the scheduling difficulties have already been addressed ad nauseam.

They are both always pushed extremely hard by the University/Ticketing office so even if NMD is a better marketing day (which can/has been debated) "anywhere remotely close" is quite a bit of a stretch.

It’s easy to think senior day is a huge deal when us diehards are living and dying with #mubb news on twitter/constantly refreshing scoop at all hours of the day and night, but the vast majority of fans do not care about senior day. How many people show up for the ceremony before the game or stick around if it’s after? That shows how many people actually care. The likelihood of senior day being a sellout is more due to the fact that it’s a Saturday at 2pm, not because of some ceremony most people won’t go to…

panda

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
It has always been my understanding that television exposure was absolutely key for NMD.  In fact, it was pretty much the sole driving factor many years when MU didn't have nearly as much exposure as they do now.  As strongly as people who go back to campus feel about the ability to make it to the game in person, people across the country want to be able to see the game on TV.  And that's a much bigger group of fans that Marquette is trying to cater to.  As others have mentioned, I honestly didn't realize that attending NMB games in person was such a big deal -- a homecoming of sorts.  But, there's a reason that it's called "NMD" and not just "MD."  Availability to alums across the country who cannot travel to campus is a huge part of it.

95% of games are on TV now across the country. What may have mattered a long time ago is a not so important now. It’s more important for a non football school to treat their homecoming like it actually matters and not an 11am Sunday game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
All the whining about NMD has me convinced of one thing: there are a lot of Marquette fans that couldn't last 5 minutes as soccer fans. Bars like The Highbury, Nomad, and Three Lions are routinely full by 6 or 7 am. That goes for regular season and World Cup matches. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »
It’s easy to think senior day is a huge deal when us diehards are living and dying with #mubb news on twitter/constantly refreshing scoop at all hours of the day and night, but the vast majority of fans do not care about senior day. How many people show up for the ceremony before the game or stick around if it’s after? That shows how many people actually care. The likelihood of senior day being a sellout is more due to the fact that it’s a Saturday at 2pm, not because of some ceremony most people won’t go to…

If our Senior class was just Michael Mache, or Derrick, Juan and Carlino maybe, but Markus' number will be going up in the rafters sooner rather than later.  I think you vastly underestimate how many people realize that he is a very special player and will give him the respect and recognition he deserves.  It's not just diehards that recognize him as an amazing player.  College Basketball fans all over the country pretty much universally accept him as one of the best players in today's game.  To think that he won't get an amazing send off is a disservice.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
95% of games are on TV now across the country. What may have mattered a long time ago is a not so important now. It’s more important for a non football school to treat their homecoming like it actually matters and not an 11am Sunday game.

I honestly don't disagree.  I was just putting a bit of a historical perspective on it; the broadest possible broadcast has always seemed to be an almost singular focus of MU when setting NMD.  Even though I'm not coming to Milwaukee for the game (and never have), I think that the Sunday at 11:00 sucks pretty hard.  Personally, I was one who tended to think that MU made a little too big of a deal about the national TV even "a long time ago."  I often wished they would focus more on the match up.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »
First year I won't be spending the night in Milwaukee for NMD. Lame.

2/1 was the easy choice. Superbowl the evening the next day has zero bearing on NMD.

Neither the Bears nor Packers will be playing in the SuperBowl.

So dumb.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:24:37 AM by Coleman »

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2019, 10:27:57 AM »
So far we have how many people saying they wont attend because of this in here?

Would anyone have commented if it was 2/1 or senior day? Nope.

This being on a Sunday actually affects peoples plans. This isn't hard to see. Get your heads out of the sand and realize this.

panda

• All American
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
All the whining about NMD has me convinced of one thing: there are a lot of Marquette fans that couldn't last 5 minutes as soccer fans. Bars like The Highbury, Nomad, and Three Lions are routinely full by 6 or 7 am. That goes for regular season and World Cup matches. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Lol totally different but ok!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
Before I bought season tickets I almost always bought tix for Senior day, but only because it was the last home game, often against a good BE team and often an important game for their tourney resume. NOT because it was Senior day.

For all that, I'm fine with NMD where it is on next season's schedule.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
So far we have how many people saying they wont attend because of this in here?

Would anyone have commented if it was 2/1 or senior day? Nope.

This being on a Sunday actually affects peoples plans. This isn't hard to see. Get your heads out of the sand and realize this.

Just re-read the entire thread and came up with 6 (although one was Chico's so there's your silver lining).  It's just like many issues that are hotly debated, the most vocal are in the minority.  If you were reading this thread and planning on going you would probably stay silent just to avoid the headache.  I know that I regret my decision to involve myself although I'm too far down the rabbit hole to quit now. ;D