[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36131 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
All the whining about NMD has me convinced of one thing: there are a lot of Marquette fans that couldn't last 5 minutes as soccer fans. Bars like The Highbury, Nomad, and Three Lions are routinely full by 6 or 7 am. That goes for regular season and World Cup matches. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

I'm not trying to travel to the match though. Those clubs aren't relying on all of their donors attending day-of fundraising events in Milwaukee to raise money for scholarships for the rest of the year.

The "you're not a true fan" narrative is weak (not directed specifically at you). I bet that scholarship funding suffers in years when NMD falls on a Sunday/Weekday.

panda

• All American
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
If our Senior class was just Michael Mache, or Derrick, Juan and Carlino maybe, but Markus' number will be going up in the rafters sooner rather than later.  I think you vastly underestimate how many people realize that he is a very special player and will give him the respect and recognition he deserves.  It's not just diehards that recognize him as an amazing player.  College Basketball fans all over the country pretty much universally accept him as one of the best players in today's game.  To think that he won't get an amazing send off is a disservice.

I certainly understand how special he is. I just think you vastly overestimate the amount a casual fan cares about senior day. Agree to disagree.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
So far we have how many people saying they wont attend because of this in here?

Would anyone have commented if it was 2/1 or senior day? Nope.

This being on a Sunday actually affects peoples plans. This isn't hard to see. Get your heads out of the sand and realize this.

Er... everyone trying to plan or attend a viewing party that is outside the regional FSN broadcast would have been complaining about 2/1.   And if you don't think people would have complained about it coinciding with senior day... have you been reading scoop?  There's always a group to complain about anything.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
Or nah. Thousands of people want this changed, it's not just me.

O/U the average age of people saying let it go: 45.5.

Taking the over. Stunned a "millennial" comment hasn't been dropped yet.

People over 45 don’t have to get an bombed on NMD or can handle work with a hangover
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »
I'm not trying to travel to the match though. Those clubs aren't relying on all of their donors attending day-of fundraising events in Milwaukee to raise money for scholarships for the rest of the year.

The "you're not a true fan" narrative is weak (not directed specifically at you). I bet that scholarship funding suffers in years when NMD falls on a Sunday/Weekday.

That's fair, and it was definitely meant tongue in cheek, but this feels like people are blowing this way out of proportion. The national MU clubs need the game to be televised. Locally, it needs to be on a weekend. It's not like the game is at 9 pm on a Tuesday. Fundraising events on Saturday, brunch and the game Sunday, then either fly out that night or head home Monday morning and make it to work before lunch.

I'd be curious how many of the people proclaiming this to be the end of NMD as we know it spent any time looking at flights, hotels, and the actual feasibility of travel before declaring this to be a disaster. I'm guessing it's somewhere between 0.0 & 0.1%.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
Or nah. Thousands of people want this changed, it's not just me.

O/U the average age of people saying let it go: 45.5.

Taking the over. Stunned a "millennial" comment hasn't been dropped yet.

35.125 is the average age of the 8 MU fans that I text regularly who don't see the big deal.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »
All the whining about NMD has me convinced of one thing: there are a lot of Marquette fans that couldn't last 5 minutes as soccer fans. Bars like The Highbury, Nomad, and Three Lions are routinely full by 6 or 7 am. That goes for regular season and World Cup matches. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

What you describe would be if the MU club of Singapore got up to watch NMD.

We as Americans also choose to get up to watch European soccer at ungodly hours. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
I’m sure all tickets will be pre sold but if the team is underwhelming this year, it certainly won’t be a true sell out.

With NMD and lots of traveling fans, they’re locked into the game/weekend regardless of performance and guarantees tickets bought = butts in seats.

I strongly disagree with the notion that senior day is anywhere remotely close to the marketing/ticket seller that NMD is.

It's 10 percent of the capacity of the Fiserv.  I doubt Mike Broeker is in the fetal position on his office rug over this.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »

Alright, this is just downright impressive.  I don't know if I'd have even thought of this, let alone done it without anxiously worrying if something would go wrong along the way.

Super easy if you work in The Loop and you are flying Southwest.  Get out out of the plane and hop on the Orange Line.  Time between Jetway and my office is about 45 minutes.

There also the much used "I will be working remotely in the morning" if your place allows that sort of thing.  Not technically a lie if you answer a couple of emails in the airport waiting to board.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:46 AM »
Central Arkansas on FS1
North Dakota State on FSI
Robert Morris Typing College on FS2
DePaul on FS Wisconsin

Darwin nailed it!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »
I’m sure all tickets will be pre sold but if the team is underwhelming this year, it certainly won’t be a true sell out.

A sell out is a sell out. There is no such thing of a true sell out. Every seat is sold or it's not.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »

Alright, this is just downright impressive.  I don't know if I'd have even thought of this, let alone done it without anxiously worrying if something would go wrong along the way.

We actually do it somewhat frequently UWW.  There are some commutes where chick is essentially 'on time'.  As an example, we'll be flying home from FLL in January where she'll arrive at the office by about 9.  Where it 'stretches' for us is coming back from our home in LAS.  That's a noon arrival on a good day.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »
We actually do it somewhat frequently UWW.  There are some commutes where chick is essentially 'on time'.  As an example, we'll be flying home from FLL in January where she'll arrive at the office by about 9.  Where it 'stretches' for us is coming back from our home in LAS.  That's a noon arrival on a good day.

This is almost 2020.  Doesn't anyone work "remotely" anymore?  I know many jobs don't allow it or there are in-person required  meetings.  But, it is a flexible solution and big benefit. I just tell my boss. I will be doing that the Monday after the last Orlando game (game at Sunday PM).

More so, about 25% of our professional positions are remote 100% of the time.  Talent is easier to recruit with this policy. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
This is the dumbest Marquette controversy since Lazar Hayward wore the wrong number.

panda

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
A sell out is a sell out. There is no such thing of a true sell out. Every seat is sold or it's not.

Big difference between reported attendance and actual attendance. That’s very simple stuff.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2019, 01:14:26 PM »
Big difference between reported attendance and actual attendance. That’s very simple stuff.
Well, attendance number reports in all sports are tickets sold.  ;)
You were talking about tickets sold. So, again it's either a sell out or not. If you think there will be tons of no-shows, fine.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:23:01 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
Make National Marquette Day a weekend. Country superstar Brantley Gilbert will perform at Fiserv Forum on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020 as part of his Fire’t Up Tour with Chase Rice, Dylan Scott and Brandon Lay.
https://www.fiservforum.com/events/detail/brantley-gilbert-fire-it-up-tour?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVRkak1qazRZVE5rWkdKbCIsInQiOiJISzlrcjAwRkxVUTF1Q3NZYys5QlVGZXVNRTZoeEVQR0drZnpsZUJ1UHJJSEZXdzN0c1NtTWN1eUFlK2U2TU1FVitKR3FLS2ZneEI2aWtOS2RodExKTHhQWDNMODlkdlY0YVJaQUZIdzA5SWN0QTk3M3hmcDZjdis5ZU41Q25CdiJ9
-Bill Walton

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
Make National Marquette Day a weekend. Country superstar Brantley Gilbert will perform at Fiserv Forum on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020 as part of his Fire’t Up Tour with Chase Rice, Dylan Scott and Brandon Lay.
https://www.fiservforum.com/events/detail/brantley-gilbert-fire-it-up-tour?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVRkak1qazRZVE5rWkdKbCIsInQiOiJISzlrcjAwRkxVUTF1Q3NZYys5QlVGZXVNRTZoeEVQR0drZnpsZUJ1UHJJSEZXdzN0c1NtTWN1eUFlK2U2TU1FVitKR3FLS2ZneEI2aWtOS2RodExKTHhQWDNMODlkdlY0YVJaQUZIdzA5SWN0QTk3M3hmcDZjdis5ZU41Q25CdiJ9
Guess this concert screwed things up.....

panda

• All American
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
Well, attendance number reports in all sports are tickets sold.  ;)
You were talking about tickets sold. So, again it's either a sell out or not. If you think there will be tons of no-shows, fine.

Alright poindexter use some context clues and common sense one time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2019, 01:36:17 PM »
You have obviously not mastered the art of taking an early morning Monday flight and telling the boss you have a doctor's appointment and will be in 10-ish. I have done that all the way from Las Vegas.

A true Marquette fan would figure out a way to make this work instead of whining about it.

Lol...true Marquette fan? GMAFB. I legit have missed less than 5 games since my freshman year in 2008 so don’t give me that bullcrap.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »
Lol...true Marquette fan? GMAFB. I legit have missed less than 5 games since my freshman year in 2008 so don’t give me that bullcrap.

What's your excuse for those 5 games?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
This is the dumbest Marquette controversy since Lazar Hayward wore the wrong number.

Clearly you don't remember when that same thing happened again when Wojo started coaching.

Unless it was dumber because of Crean?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »

-Bill Walton

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
What's your excuse for those 5 games?

A few were not televised anywhere on earth, and the others I was on a plane. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »

Wojo likes Country?