[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36306 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
As a born and bred Wisconsinite, I don't understand this statement.  Can you translate?

;D  They'll get 'em open on the west coast for a private party.  Happens all the time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
Any one remember the 10AM January 1 game versus West Virginia?  That was hell warmed over. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Any one remember the 10AM January 1 game versus West Virginia?  That was hell warmed over.

Sure do.  We were staying the night before in the Hilton.  West Virginia, The Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals were all in the hotel!  I think our kids were pre-college so I believe we all dined at 5 o'clock Steakhouse for NYE.  Was there only one early New Year's game? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
Sure do.  We were staying the night before in the Hilton.  West Virginia, The Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals were all in the hotel!  I think our kids were pre-college so I believe we all dined at 5 o'clock Steakhouse for NYE.  Was there only one early New Year's game?

They played Nova on NYD in 2009 at the BC.  I want to say that was an early start, too, but am not 100% certain
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
I love that day!! I was in the BC at 9am.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
Does it really matter what "Day" it is

just do your party on a different one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »
#BrunchAndBuckets

Get hammered with friends Saturday, chase your blues away with a Bloody Mary and basketball game Sunday morning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »
Yeah, the streets were empty driving to the game.   ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »

I seem to remember a Nova NYD game and I think that was more palatable as it started at 11?  For the WV game we went to brunch at Bar Louie and the manager was so hung over that he didn’t make it in.  But he had the codes to the computer system, and no one else did.  That screwed up the ordering and payments. The sidewalks were, let’s just say, newly decorated. I remember not going out the night before.

And that was infinitely worse than this will be. It’s not ideal for viewing parties in Denver or the West Coast.

One idea for people who want Saturday (and I agree with your sentiment), is to do a pop up NMD for the DePaul game. If you go with a big group normally, this can be a lot of fun. We do this with break games. One problem I have with NMD games is that it is a chore trying to track people down and visit.

Also, if from Chicago, the Ammie Marquette Express is fun (and usually packed with alums) for weekend games. Drink on the train both ways.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »
Because the day revolves around the game, you get together before the game, then go out after the game. It's like having a Superbowl party on Saturday.

Ding ding ding ding

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
You guys might be right.  Nova in '09 fits.  I think I remember chick and I heading down to the bar.  The kids woulda been in HS and probably played video games for awhile upstairs.  I don't recall if we all watched NYC on TV but I bet we did.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »
#BrunchAndBuckets

Get hammered with friends Saturday, chase your blues away with a Bloody Mary and basketball game Sunday morning.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
It would be kind of cool if they did a NMD mass at 8 AM that day.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2019, 02:24:56 PM »
Villanova on NYD was in 2009. It was after the Outback Bowl on ESPN at 1:30PM.
-Bill Walton

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
Lovell played the ultimate chip in getting his on campus arena built...

He moved NMD to a Sunday.   

We can't change the Billionaires making us priority #472 but we can build an on campus arena where we're #1 and NMD is always Saturday afternoon.

Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:51:31 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
Come into town Saturday.  Meet up with friends.   Close bars.   Get up, go to game.  Just like when you were in school.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
Come into town Saturday.  Meet up with friends.   Close bars.   Get up, go to game.  Just like when you were in school.

I can sleep in till noon and skip class/work the next day without a care in the world?
Bring back FFP!!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2019, 02:53:35 PM »
And therein lies a problem brother.  NMD is not a 'drunk fest' in the eyes of many.  And you can drink to your hearts content all day Saturday.  So maybe you'll actually remember the game this way.

Somebody is looking for the ban hammer
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
It's fine. No one was going to get amped up for DePaul and the atmosphere will already be electric for Seton Hall on Senior Day. There were two bad choices and they picked the one that wouldn't require people to fly home during the Super Bowl. If your only concern is being able to get blitzed for the game, I'm guessing you're in a position where you will probably get blitzed for every game regardless, so what difference does it really make? This opens up some possibilities for a fun brunch and basketball theme.

Move Senior Day to the first NIT home game, duh.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
Gotta say, I did not realize National Marquette Day was that big of a deal for some people.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
I love that day!! I was in the BC at 9am.

After giving up on Bar Louie, I got there around this time too. We ordered a bloody in a Big Gulp cup (not Sobelman’s), and got a stink eye from the largest collection of badly hungover people I have seen in one section as they strolled in. About 10 minutes in, about 50% of the section had asked where we got those. I vaguely remember that the BC did a Bloody Bar at one of the stalls just for this game.

Wasn’t this the “Condensation Game”? Where the Admirals had a game the night before on NYE and they laid the MU floor that morning after storing in a warehouse.  Players were slipping and sliding all game, iirc.

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Marquette has actually had National Marquette Day on a Sunday before.  2010 against Providence.  At least that was the Sunday before MLK Day so there wasn't any school for students and a lot of alums had work off the next day.  Just over 16k showed up for that game which was below the home Big East average which was just shy of 17k. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »

Was in LA for that. It was pretty brutal but it turned into an awesome weekend. Hit the bar at 8 AM for the game, saw MU win, went to the Rose Bowl to watch TCU beat Wisconsin and then saw the Packers beat the Bears to clinch a playoff berth the next day.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
Lovell played the ultimate chip in getting his on campus arena built...

He moved NMD to a Sunday.   

We can't change the Billionaires making us priority #472 but we can build an on campus arena where we're #1 and NMD is always Saturday afternoon.

Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike,
Build it Mike!

?-( And this fits the national television dilemma or the way BEast scheduled us how?  (Or was this teal and I didn't get that?) 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
Early voting from the Underboard shows a strong lean towards “Sunday sucks”. Results in Puerto Rico and Oak Park are in. Waiting for West Coast polls to close for final tally.