'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36313 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
We had it the Saturday before the Superbowl in 2018 with a crowd of 18,958. I think it did okay.

Crowd size is one factor.  NMD will always be a sellout.  I wonder if they had trouble with the watch parties, or TV ratings, etc.  You may not want to hear about it but it is a uuuuuggggee fundraising day.  And that's a big bottom line.

Next time I'm in a position to ask about the decision, I will.  And I'll PM you anything I find out.  Hang in there Wolfgang.  And buy those tickets.......  :)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
My point: would anyone really have been actually upset if NMD was scheduled on 2/1? Would this post have even been made? Would people actually consider writing letters/phone calls to voice their displeasure? We'd just be excited we knew what day it was.

I wouldn't have been upset about either, but I can see why people would be upset that it was on Super Bowl weekend (just like I can see why they would be upset it's on a Sunday). There was no good option.

You made the post, so I suppose, uhh...no?

I'm sure some would. Just like some will express displeasure with this. Again, no good option.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Agree to disagree. Such a shame.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
So it was Superbowl weekend in '18 and that was the ONLY weekend home game that February?  Wow, that was a crappy schedule.  No other option.  NMD will NEVER be in January/March unless it like the 31st or the 1st.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
The good news Wolfgang is that you've doubled your post total!   ;D  Stick around.  You seem like a good guy.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »
NMD is like homecoming for out of towners, as someone else mentioned.

We usually stay over. Hit the bars postgame, get dinner with friends and hit up old hangouts. See people that we might only see once a year.

Sucks that the schedule doesnt work this year, but still wont make a lot of people happy.

So do that on Saturday.  Go out for dinner, hit the bars, whatever.  Stay in a hotel.  Get up and go to the MU game on Sunday.  It's not like it's at 8am and everyone will still be hungover.

How hard is this, people?

PS: Funny how not one fan of a Catholic school basketball team is upset because 11am Sunday means missing church.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
My point: would anyone really have been actually upset if NMD was scheduled on 2/1? Would this post have even been made? Would people actually consider writing letters/phone calls to voice their displeasure? We'd just be excited we knew what day it was.

You must be new to the internet.  The answer to your question is yes.

So now we're treating NMD like a prop to sell out games? It's supposed to be for the Alumni who have donated how much money towards the school? You're putting the Superbowl above NMD which is just wrong and I'm sure most people who actually care about NMD won't agree with.

Once again, do all of your NMD stuff the week before.  You seem so passionate about this that you could probably even organize it.  It's not real hard to reserve a bar in Milwaukee with 6 months notice, and if enough people feel the way you do, I'm sure the turnout will be fine, and might even help get a better crowd for the dePaul game.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
So do that on Saturday.  Go out for dinner, hit the bars, whatever.  Stay in a hotel.  Get up and go to the MU game on Sunday.  It's not like it's at 8am and everyone will still be hungover.

It's not the same. At all.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
The good news Wolfgang is that you've doubled your post total!   ;D  Stick around.  You seem like a good guy.
This is how upset I am. Literally, ruined all my friends & my Tuesday.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Agree to disagree. Such a shame.

I mean I ask this in all sincerity...if getting together and partying and seeing old buddies, is your main focus, what would be so bad about doing that on Saturday/Saturday night and then focusing on the game on Sunday?? Seems like a reasonable solution to me, right??

I honestly don't know how people drink during games, or even more so watch them with buddies, and especially a big group. There is ZERO chance in that scenario you can hear it decently, with all the talking etc going on, and you're paying attention to friends etc and not really focusing on the game. To each their own I know.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
So it was Superbowl weekend in '18 and that was the ONLY weekend home game that February?  Wow, that was a crappy schedule.  No other option.  NMD will NEVER be in January/March unless it like the 31st or the 1st.

What’s the reason for that? I know options are limited with students on break and few games in March. Is there a reason outside of that?

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
I mean I ask this in all sincerity...if getting together and partying and seeing old buddies, is your main focus, what would be so bad about doing that on Saturday/Saturday night and then focusing on the game on Sunday?? Seems like a reasonable solution to me, right??

I honestly don't know how people drink during games, or even more so watch them with buddies, and especially a big group. There is ZERO chance in that scenario you can hear it decently, with all the talking etc going on, and you're paying attention to friends etc and not really focusing on the game. To each their own I know.
Because the day revolves around the game, you get together before the game, then go out after the game. It's like having a Superbowl party on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:24:40 PM by WolfganghisKhan »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
There is a lot of half glass empty outlook going on here.   

Think of it this way.  If you're from out of town, you now have an excuse to extend NMD festivities/weekend into a THIRD night!  Come into town Friday and book a hotel through Sunday night. 

It'll be the most epic NMD weekend ever!!!  Times a zillion!

Seriously though, life isn't always fair.  All you can do is control how you react to it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »

PS: Funny how not one fan of a Catholic school basketball team is upset because 11am Sunday means missing church.

People have their kids's activities, grandparents watching the kids, trips to Home Depot, etc.  11 am sunday game means getting back to madison by 4.  And that's just to Madison.   A lot of people drive in from further away.

You can go to church on saturday night, y'know.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
What’s the reason for that? I know options are limited with students on break and few games in March. Is there a reason outside of that?

March is a pretty easy one.  It starts to run into midterms and is too close to when the university wants STHs to travel to NYC or the NCAA.  I think the January view is that folks have just potentially traveled for the holidays and the students are just back.  January is a notorious bad travel month when people are paying their Christmas VISA.  February is actually perfect for TV eyeballs too following football playoffs.  Hoops never wants to compete with football.  Oops, back to the original topic!   :o

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »

Think of it this way.  If you're from out of town, you now have an excuse to extend NMD festivities/weekend into a THIRD night!  Come into town Friday and book a hotel through Sunday night. 

Seriously though, life isn't always fair.  All you can do is control how you react to it.

I think the 11a start is key.  MU wouldn't do this if folks couldn't get to the airport for a late afternoon/evening flight home.  Like you, I think this may work out pretty well.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »
All of us understand life isn't fair, but this is like getting Christmas canceled for a lot of people. Christmas cancelled for unknown reasons.

You guys who don't care what day the game is don't understand.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »

So you're saying we don't have a choice in how we feel but only how we react to it? I invite you to debate that on the waste of time thread.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
For me NMD is more than just drinking with buddies I love running into people I don't see anymore and catching up. Then overall Marquette atmosphere around the city is fantastic. That's why i don't think the suggestion of do it on the Depaul game with your buddies is a great suggestion.

I also think that the attitude of "it'll be more epic because all the partying on Saturday" is wrong because you won't actually know who the hell is marquette affiliated which takes away the MU centric atmosphere around the city and you'd just end up with a bunch of silent hungover people on Sunday which won't lend itself to a raucous environment.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
All of us understand life isn't fair, but this is like getting Christmas canceled for a lot of people. Christmas cancelled for unknown reasons.

You guys who don't care what day the game is don't understand.

Because NMD is the only holiday of the year?  Look, we get it, you're upset.  But multiple posters have offered multiple solutions to your problem and you don't seem to want to listen. 

In reality, it's like Christmas being moved to December 26th.  It wont be the same, but acting like it's totally ruined is a step too far. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
But that's not the case here.  Many, many people would avoid NMD on Superbowl weekend.

FFS, come on.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
Because NMD is the only holiday of the year?  Look, we get it, you're upset.  But multiple posters have offered multiple solutions to your problem and you don't seem to want to listen. 

In reality, it's like Christmas being moved to December 26th.  It wont be the same, but acting like it's totally ruined is a step too far.
NMD is the only NMD of the year, yes.

Solutions? Those are ideas, not solutions. Solutions solve the problem which is that the game is on a Sunday for god knows what reason. People are grasping at straws trying to defend Sunday. Who the hell likes anything on a Sunday?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2019, 12:41:46 PM »
So you're saying we don't have a choice in how we feel but only how we react to it? I invite you to debate that on the waste of time thread.

No, actually I implied you can't really control how you feel but you can decide to make the most of it.  I'm sure the school wasn't happy with their options either, but it is what it is. 

You can either take your ball and go home and not attend... or you can make it the most epic weekend of NMD'ing that anyone has ever NMD'd before!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
For me NMD is more than just drinking with buddies I love running into people I don't see anymore and catching up. Then overall Marquette atmosphere around the city is fantastic. That's why i don't think the suggestion of do it on the Depaul game with your buddies is a great suggestion.

I also think that the attitude of "it'll be more epic because all the partying on Saturday" is wrong because you won't actually know who the hell is marquette affiliated which takes away the MU centric atmosphere around the city and you'd just end up with a bunch of silent hungover people on Sunday which won't lend itself to a raucous environment.

I didn't mean to imply that that the DePaul weekend would be "just as good", but if your main beef with the scheduling is that it's on a Sunday morning and you won't be able to meet up with friends then it solves a lot of your problem.  Being able to find alternatives that can come close to replicating the real experience when you can't have the real thing (for whatever reason), is a large step in dealing with adversity.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
Being able to find alternatives that can come close to replicating the real experience when you can't have the real thing (for whatever reason), is a large step in dealing with adversity.
I don't need to be lectured on life on the mubb message board.