[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler  (Read 36229 times)

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day - SUNDAY 2/9 vs Butler
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »
The point is not to compare a blanket Saturday versus Sunday. It's the Saturday of Super Bowl Weekend, when I'm sure many people would prefer not to travel and when, for better or worse, our entire culture revolves around one signature event, and a game against DePaul, which always elicits a collective "ugh" from the Marquette community, versus a Sunday that won't have the same travel issues, won't have a signature event that basically makes the day a de facto national holiday, and is against a presumably better opponent.

Is it the best case scenario? No. That would be if the Providence game on February 22nd were at home, or if we started a home-and-home with Notre Dame on February 15, but neither of those are the world we live in. You take the best option from what we have. I just don't see any scenario, barring one 5-10 years in the future if they become relevant again, that DePaul on Super Bowl weekend would be the best choice for NMD.

This is probably the only way to guarantee high attendance and a raucous atmosphere for an 11 am Sunday game. That's a good thing, not a bad one.
1. It doesn't matter who the game is against on NMD. Sorry this is a lame excuse.
2. The game is at Superbowl is at 530PM Sunday. You can be wherever you need to be. Plus, who the hell even travels for Superbowl Weekend unless you're going to the Superbowl?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »
it's not really about the drunk fest.... it's like homecoming for Marquette alums. There will be fewer out of town travelers coming to the game without a doubt.

I think Marquette is disagreeing.  Part of this might be the signature TV event of the weekend.  Part of this might be the watch parties around the country that might do better if there isn't a second competing party the next day.

And Hound, there is absolutely overlap for folks that travel using my 'neighborhood Superbowl party' example.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
I think Marquette is disagreeing.  Part of this might be the signature TV event of the weekend.  Part of this might be the watch parties around the country that might do better if there isn't a second competing party the next day.

And Hound, there is absolutely overlap for folks that travel using my 'neighborhood Superbowl party' example.
Fine, people can't make it due to the Superbowl (even though I don't believe this).

What's more likely, people miss due to the Superbowl or the fact that NMD is on a Sunday. I lean the latter.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »
1. It doesn't matter who the game is against on NMD. Sorry this is a lame excuse.
2. The game is at Superbowl is at 530PM Sunday. You can be wherever you need to be. Plus, who the hell even travels for Superbowl Weekend unless you're going to the Superbowl?

I actually travel for the Superbowl fairly frequently. Say every 1 out of 3 years.  I do agree that opponent doesn't matter for NMD.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 11:31:38 AM »
I, for one, don't much care about NMD, all I care about is them winning the game. Period.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I, for one, don't much care about NMD, all I care about is them winning the game. Period.
Thanks for this much needed, very relevant information.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
Fine, people can't make it due to the Superbowl (even though I don't believe this).

What's more likely, people miss due to the Superbowl or the fact that NMD is on a Sunday. I lean the latter.

Fair enough.  But the fact that it's a LEAN means that it's reasonable to believe the university sees it differently and that their view has a valid argument.  Anyways, have a great day.  Hope to see you at NMD!

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »
Fair enough.  But the fact that it's a LEAN means that it's reasonable to believe the university sees it differently and that their view has a valid argument.  Anyways, have a great day.  Hope to see you at NMD!
"Leaning" towards not renewing my tickets actually, so we'll see.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
I refuse to believe the majority of the people that care about Marquette/mubb wouldn't go due to the Superbowl on Sunday.

So instead of a small chance that it gets ruined due to local teams making the Superbowl, we're just going to 100% ruin it by scheduling it at 11am Sunday.

But what about the neighborhood watch parties???

This is a joke
Bring back FFP!!!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
The point is not to compare a blanket Saturday versus Sunday. It's the Saturday of Super Bowl Weekend, when I'm sure many people would prefer not to travel and when, for better or worse, our entire culture revolves around one signature event, and a game against DePaul, which always elicits a collective "ugh" from the Marquette community, versus a Sunday that won't have the same travel issues, won't have a signature event that basically makes the day a de facto national holiday, and is against a presumably better opponent.

Is it the best case scenario? No. That would be if the Providence game on February 22nd were at home, or if we started a home-and-home with Notre Dame on February 15, but neither of those are the world we live in. You take the best option from what we have. I just don't see any scenario, barring one 5-10 years in the future if they become relevant again, that DePaul on Super Bowl weekend would be the best choice for NMD.

This is probably the only way to guarantee high attendance and a raucous atmosphere for an 11 am Sunday game. That's a good thing, not a bad one.

That's a really good point.  Saturday is now totally open to full day festivities (like the fireworks at night that many people have a lot of trouble getting to in time on Friday) AND guarantees a sellout on Sunday in front of a national TV audience.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
NMD is like homecoming for out of towners, as someone else mentioned.

We usually stay over. Hit the bars postgame, get dinner with friends and hit up old hangouts. See people that we might only see once a year.

Sucks that the schedule doesnt work this year, but still wont make a lot of people happy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
"Leaning" towards not renewing my tickets actually, so we'll see.

Well, seeing as the deposit was due months ago and the first two payments were due at the end of July and August, I'm guessing that's a ship that has already sailed.

1. Seeing as the past 6 NMD opponents have all been NCAA teams, 3x Villanova, 2x Xavier, and Providence, I'd say Marquette does.

2. Uhh...exactly. No one wants to travel unless they're going to the game. Thanks for reinforcing that point.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
Well, seeing as the deposit was due months ago and the first two payments were due at the end of July and August, I'm guessing that's a ship that has already sailed.

1. Seeing as the past 6 NMD opponents have all been NCAA teams, 3x Villanova, 2x Xavier, and Providence, I'd say Marquette does.

2. Uhh...exactly. No one wants to travel unless they're going to the game. Thanks for reinforcing that point.
1. Then why am I still getting an email ever couple weeks asking if I'm interested?
2. Big bad nationally ranked powerhouses Xavier and Providence.
3. The crossover between people going to the Superbowl and NMD is minimal and not enough to make an actual consideration.

If you're that worried about the goddamn Superbowl, put this on Senior day then like we did in 12/13
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:48:27 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Wolfgang, we get that you're upset.  But let's think about your Senior Day idea.  That's already guaranteed to be 100% sold out, especially with M2N graduating.  So again, I think many of us are simply asking you to be open minded.  We get that you don't like the decision.  But MU had relatively poor alternatives this year.

Brew, you're a MU hoops history buff.  Has NMD ever been on Superbowl Saturday before?  If so, I wonder if they have stats that suggest 'never again'.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Wolfgang, we get that you're upset.  But let's think about your Senior Day idea.  That's already guaranteed to be 100% sold out.  So again, I think many of us are simply asking you to be open minded.  We get that you don't like the decision.  But MU had relatively poor alternatives this year.

Brew, you're a MU hoops history buff.  Has NMD ever been on Superbowl Saturday before?  If so, I wonder if they have stats that suggest 'never again'.
I see your guys' side, I just vehemently disagree with it.

National Marquette Day is supposed to be about the Marquette community getting together. It being on a Saturday is the best day for the Marquette community to get together. That's indisputable.

Edit: we just had NMD day before the Superbowl in 2018...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:58:05 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
Honest question from a Milwaukee area resident that really doesn't care when NMD is.  If you're an "out of towner" that was planning on going to the game, meeting up with old friends, etc. can't you just agree to do that for the DePaul game anyways?  Sure there are food and drink specials going on around the city on NMD, but it's not like we transform into a dry county as soon as NMD is over.  Just do everything you normally do on unofficial National Marquette Day instead of the official one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »

National Marquette Day is supposed to be about the Marquette community getting together. It being on a Saturday is the best day for the Marquette community to get together. That's indisputable.

No one disagrees with that.  No doubt the switch to Sunday is a sacrifice.  The only question is how big. 

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
No one disagrees with that.  No doubt the switch to Sunday is a sacrifice.  The only question is how big.
We had it the Saturday before the Superbowl in 2018 with a crowd of 18,958. I think it did okay.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
Wasn’t National Marquette day on super bowl Sunday two years ago when the super bowl was in Minnesota of all places. And the Vikings should’ve been in the game for crying out loud.

They could have easily scheduled it for DePaul
Bring back FFP!!!

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
Wasn’t National Marquette day on super bowl Sunday two years ago when the super bowl was in Minnesota of all places. And the Vikings should’ve been in the game for crying out loud.

They could have easily scheduled it for DePaul
Yup, 2018 100%

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
Honest question from a Milwaukee area resident that really doesn't care when NMD is.  If you're an "out of towner" that was planning on going to the game, meeting up with old friends, etc. can't you just agree to do that for the DePaul game anyways?  Sure there are food and drink specials going on around the city on NMD, but it's not like we transform into a dry county as soon as NMD is over.  Just do everything you normally do on unofficial National Marquette Day instead of the official one.

I think there’s more university sponsored activities. Typically the young alumni or business school alums rent out a bar. I feel like that is tougher to do on a random game day. I also think the crowds for those will be pretty sparse this year.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »

That’s my plan. I’m going to go to DePaul and Seton Hall. There’s no denying that there’s more buzz around the city and stadium during NMD though
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Wolfgang, we get that you're upset.  But let's think about your Senior Day idea.  That's already guaranteed to be 100% sold out, especially with M2N graduating.  So again, I think many of us are simply asking you to be open minded.  We get that you don't like the decision.  But MU had relatively poor alternatives this year.

Having it the same day as Seton Hall would be a waste. If you want two sold-out events, NMD has to be different than Senior Day. That's likely the reason they haven't combined them in Wojo's tenure.

It was on a Super Bowl Saturday 2 years ago against Providence. It wouldn't surprise me if there were complaints about that. I think people are missing the point of the Super Bowl. The whole "you can be home by 5:30" thing is a pretty hollow argument. The Super Bowl isn't a 4-hour televised affair, it's an all-day bacchanalia of football. Parties are starting by noon. And as much as we might like to think the Marquette community is wholly football agnostic, that's simply not true. All the evidence I need is my Twitter timeline, which is now chock full of college football and NFL discussion, despite the fact that I put absolutely zero effort into following either. That's simply what all the CBB people are talking about right now.

Edit: we just had NMD day before the Superbowl in 2018...

It's not ideal. I agree with that. Just like DePaul isn't ideal and Senior Day isn't ideal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were complaints about the 2018 one, though there were no other home weekends in February. Would a Saturday with a quality opponent be ideal? Yes. But that doesn't exist. So you put the majority of the celebrations throughout the day on Saturday, push a "brunch and buckets" theme on Sunday morning, get everyone out the door and headed home by 2:00 pm so they can be up for work on Monday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
My point: would anyone really have been actually upset if NMD was scheduled on 2/1? Would this post have even been made? Would people actually consider writing letters/phone calls to voice their displeasure? We'd just be excited we knew what day it was.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
Having it the same day as Seton Hall would be a waste. If you want two sold-out events, NMD has to be different than Senior Day. That's likely the reason they haven't combined them in Wojo's tenure.

It was on a Super Bowl Saturday 2 years ago against Providence. It wouldn't surprise me if there were complaints about that. I think people are missing the point of the Super Bowl. The whole "you can be home by 5:30" thing is a pretty hollow argument. The Super Bowl isn't a 4-hour televised affair, it's an all-day bacchanalia of football. Parties are starting by noon. And as much as we might like to think the Marquette community is wholly football agnostic, that's simply not true. All the evidence I need is my Twitter timeline, which is now chock full of college football and NFL discussion, despite the fact that I put absolutely zero effort into following either. That's simply what all the CBB people are talking about right now.

It's not ideal. I agree with that. Just like DePaul isn't ideal and Senior Day isn't ideal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were complaints about the 2018 one, though there were no other home weekends in February. Would a Saturday with a quality opponent be ideal? Yes. But that doesn't exist. So you put the majority of the celebrations throughout the day on Saturday, push a "brunch and buckets" theme on Sunday morning, get everyone out the door and headed home by 2:00 pm so they can be up for work on Monday.
So now we're treating NMD like a prop to sell out games? It's supposed to be for the Alumni who have donated how much money towards the school? You're putting the Superbowl above NMD which is just wrong and I'm sure most people who actually care about NMD won't agree with.