[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz  (Read 27678 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Buzz
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:37 AM »
Ha!  As John Wayne and Buddy Holly said, “That’ll be the day.”

Thanks for quoting Mutaman, as he is on ignore and I would not have seen his response typical brilliance on display.

Aug 2012 for starters, that is what was publicly stated.  The rest....MU is glad he is gone.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
Thanks for quoting Mutaman, as he is on ignore and I would not have seen his response typical brilliance on display.

Aug 2012 for starters, that is what was publicly stated.  The rest....MU is glad he is gone.

Mutaman charges $500 an hour, donchaknow? Wonder how many clients he actually has, though. Likely not many Native Americans.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Mutaman charges $500 an hour, donchaknow? Wonder how many clients he actually has, though. Likely not many Native Americans.

I though u and I had reached a place where we could argue issues w/o getting into the ad hominems. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Problem is, every time you post, we all have to do a search to see who you are plagiarizing.
Busy busy- you can have the last word.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »

Chicos' only problem with Buzz was the complexion of the guys he recruited.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »

Wow.  Apparently your commitment to avoid ad hominems was either narrowly-tailored or short-lived.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »
Wow.  Apparently your commitment to avoid ad hominems was either narrowly-tailored or short-lived.

Never made a commitment to avoid pointing out Chico's bigotry.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
So when you take people out on the company dime, you feel fine only leaving your server -- who probably makes $3/hour -- a 10% tip?

If how I'm reading that is right, TAMU, I'm quite shocked by it.

You would be shocked by how loudly people complain about how universities spend "tax payer dollars." I had a colleague who was a police offer at the University of Connecticut before moving to Texas. A common practice for officers on traffic duty in the winter was for them to leave their squad cars running while they were directing traffic, so they could quickly duck inside the car and warm up when they had a break. Someone driving by noticed an officer doing this, and made enough of a stink that "tax payer dollars were being wasted by squad cars idling" that the officers were told that they couldn't do this anymore. Instead, they just had to freeze their a$$es off because of the one thousandth of a penny it was costing each tax payer.

As for me personally, I honestly don't lose any sleep over it. I worked a waiter job for 4 years and regularly got 10% tips, 30% tips, and sometimes no tips. It's part of the job. Also, the few times I've gotten to use a company card for a meal, it's not for my own benefit. I'm usually buying meals for students, or for an event that my office is hosting. I myself am not eating or if I am eating, it's 1 box lunch in an order of 100 box lunches. I don't feel obligated to put up my personal cash because the university is cheap.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
Never made a commitment to avoid pointing out Chico's bigotry.

So, narrowly-tailored. Got it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »

Come on now.  If that were true he would have a problem with Wojo as well wouldn't he?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
You would be shocked by how loudly people complain about how universities spend "tax payer dollars." I had a colleague who was a police offer at the University of Connecticut before moving to Texas. A common practice for officers on traffic duty in the winter was for them to leave their squad cars running while they were directing traffic, so they could quickly duck inside the car and warm up when they had a break. Someone driving by noticed an officer doing this, and made enough of a stink that "tax payer dollars were being wasted by squad cars idling" that the officers were told that they couldn't do this anymore. Instead, they just had to freeze their a$$es off because of the one thousandth of a penny it was costing each tax payer.

As for me personally, I honestly don't lose any sleep over it. I worked a waiter job for 4 years and regularly got 10% tips, 30% tips, and sometimes no tips. It's part of the job. Also, the few times I've gotten to use a company card for a meal, it's not for my own benefit. I'm usually buying meals for students, or for an event that my office is hosting. I myself am not eating or if I am eating, it's 1 box lunch in an order of 100 box lunches. I don't feel obligated to put up my personal cash because the university is cheap.

Interesting.

You also are not a multimillionaire who has stated publicly and proudly to being an advocate for the common man/woman.

Finally, on the list of taxpayer complaints, I would think giving a server an 18% tip on top of her $3/hour job would be pretty low on the list. But maybe I'm wrong and your anecdote "proves" it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
I claim no knowledge of NCAA compliance issues. I have much more important issues to deal with.

just pointing out that Rick was not as innocent as he represented himself to be to the public. Buying players dinner on even a couple occasions would never result in NCAA investigators visiting campus or writing a violation report...unless it was part of an epidemic of violations.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Last summer I was having dinner at Mo's (not a Meat Summit, FYI) and the entire #mubb team + coaches came in for dinner.  They had the private room upstairs.  It must be completely legal bc they eventually shared it on IG, etc.

I had two thoughts:

1) Imagine being a server with a party of twenty but no booze to help the bill
2) Imagine being Wojo / Stan / Brett and having to sit through an entire steak dinner with no bourbon or wine.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
Last summer I was having dinner at Mo's (not a Meat Summit, FYI) and the entire #mubb team + coaches came in for dinner.  They had the private room upstairs.  It must be completely legal bc they eventually shared it on IG, etc.

I had two thoughts:

1) Imagine being a server with a party of twenty but no booze to help the bill
2) Imagine being Wojo / Stan / Brett and having to sit through an entire steak dinner with no bourbon or wine.

Is there some rule against alcohol?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »

You may not have heard but Markus graduated HS earlier and turns 21 later than the usual college student.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2019, 03:49:42 PM »

My guess is they coaches can order alcohol if they pay for it themselves.  My other guess is that they don't drink alcohol when they are with the team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:10 PM »

You mean like Native Americans?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2019, 04:32:58 PM »
just pointing out that Rick was not as innocent as he represented himself to be to the public. Buying players dinner on even a couple occasions would never result in NCAA investigators visiting campus or writing a violation report...unless it was part of an epidemic of violations.

Got it. Thanks for that as I do know you this is your area of expertise.

The Majerus story was fairly well publicized as the press picked up on it and made anti-NCAA hay out of it.

I have posted here a few times that one of my colleagues hooped at UNC for Smith and even got in a year overseas before he got an MBA at Wharton.

He maintains with a straight face that everyone who wins bends the rules. Some wittingly and others unwittingly. Cheating in college ball is a fact.

The NCAA can be obtuse but they are there for a reason.

Obviously, the rule about buying dinners came about because of some abuse in the past. Majerus treating in his "dining room" got some media run and I was relating just that.

Was Majerus dirty? I don't know. Did Rick likely bend some rules? Since he competed at the highest level I would guess yes.

Fact is, anyone who thinks that Al was a saint needs a reality check. Marquette players were paid. Period. Philosophically, does the fact that UCLA was 5 times worse than Marquette back then make Marquette any less guilty?

I am hearing on very good authority some crazy stories about Duke abuses, generally filtered through 3-4 layers of cutouts from K. And according to one who knows, and who admittedly does not like Wojo, our own Boy Wonder was involved in a few shenanigans at Duke.

Since you are in the business I have to ask how UNC runs a sham academic program for years and gets away with it? Cleveland State gets the death penalty for crazy stuff which, in the larger context, is nothing compared with a nationally recognized university committing fraud.

Thoughts? (sincerely posed)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
I though u and I had reached a place where we could argue issues w/o getting into the ad hominems. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Problem is, every time you post, we all have to do a search to see who you are plagiarizing.
Busy busy- you can have the last word.

As part of our giveback our fund does investment in Indian Country in the lower 48 and AK. We do this for the sole purpose of helping improve the lives of the underserved. There are Scoopers who know the details of this and can confirm what we are doing.

I am familiar with Indian Country and have an awareness of their sensitivities. One of them is how Mainstream America has portrayed them in the media and popular culture.

When I tell you that The Searchers is deeply offensive to the Native community you argue otherwise. As a "Progressive Liberal" I would think you would be deeply ashamed for championing a film which degrades the dignity of an entire ethnic group.

As a work of art it is insipid, overwrought, and droll. As a cultural statement it is an outrageous depiction which strips away the dignity of a people who have been brutalized by the white colonists.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
I am hearing on very good authority some crazy stories about Duke abuses, generally filtered through 3-4 layers of cutouts from K. And according to one who knows, and who admittedly does not like Wojo, our own Boy Wonder was involved in a few shenanigans at Duke.

I've heard that Wojo wasn't very happy with what had become a growing problem at Duke, it is one of the reasons he looked at Marquette, and that both parties could never see him returning to Duke. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »

I've heard that Wojo wasn't very happy with what had become a growing problem at Duke, it is one of the reasons he looked at Marquette, and that both parties could never see him returning to Duke.

I haven't heard it stated as strongly as that, but I have heard that Wojo was not happy with what Capel was doing.

My personal best guess would be Wojo would be willing to (and possibly does) let the game be the game in terms of shoe companies leading kids a certain direction (and maybe even boosters having some "influence") but the blatant involvement by staff members might have crossed a line.

I am in no way surprised that Keefe's coworker who is a Tar Heel is saying Duke and Wojo are as bad as they come.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2019, 05:18:02 PM »

I think it is a lot deeper than is public. My colleague doesn't like Duke but he is a fair guy who has related some of the shenanigans at UNC (which is a lot worse on the football side than hoops.)

I don't think Wojo was a saint but he wasn't the worst offender in Durham.

Philosophically, was the Party functionary in a mid-sized German city performing a bureaucratic function that in someway indirectly made possible the Final Solution any less guilty than Eichmann, Heydrich, or the goon in the camp?

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2019, 05:23:25 PM »
I think it is a lot deeper than is public. My colleague doesn't like Duke but he is a fair guy who has related some of the shenanigans at UNC (which is a lot worse on the football side than hoops.)

I don't think Wojo was a saint but he wasn't the worst offender in Durham.

Philosophically, was the Party functionary in a mid-sized German city performing a bureaucratic function that in someway indirectly made possible the Final Solution any less guilty than Eichmann, Heydrich, or the goon in the camp?

Godwin's Law aside, everyone has done something during their careers they aren't proud of.  We have all at one time crossed ethical and/or legal boundaries for a customer, to hide something from a regulator, etc.  So it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wojo did stuff against NCAA regulations.

But perhaps he didn't want to consistently go down that path and grew from the experience.  Or maybe he wasn't all that concerned about it and took at job simply because he was ready for one.  I have no idea.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
Got it. Thanks for that as I do know you this is your area of expertise.

The Majerus story was fairly well publicized as the press picked up on it and made anti-NCAA hay out of it.

I have posted here a few times that one of my colleagues hooped at UNC for Smith and even got in a year overseas before he got an MBA at Wharton.

He maintains with a straight face that everyone who wins bends the rules. Some wittingly and others unwittingly. Cheating in college ball is a fact.

The NCAA can be obtuse but they are there for a reason.

Obviously, the rule about buying dinners came about because of some abuse in the past. Majerus treating in his "dining room" got some media run and I was relating just that.

Was Majerus dirty? I don't know. Did Rick likely bend some rules? Since he competed at the highest level I would guess yes.

Fact is, anyone who thinks that Al was a saint needs a reality check. Marquette players were paid. Period. Philosophically, does the fact that UCLA was 5 times worse than Marquette back then make Marquette any less guilty?

Since you are in the business I have to ask how UNC runs a sham academic program for years and gets away with it? Cleveland State gets the death penalty for crazy stuff which, in the larger context, is nothing compared with a nationally recognized university committing fraud.

Thoughts? (sincerely posed)

I'll try point by point:

Majerus used his PR people and his "jolly fat man" reputation to spin things his way, focusing on the minor things. Again, the NCAA doesn't do an investigation for buying a team dinner. 

Yes, there is cheating. Coach friends have been open saying who cheats and who does not. Nothing they can do. Think about it, Dave Bliss tried to smear a dead kid and the coach who turned him in was the one blacklisted.  Honor amongst thieves.

Al was not a saint, nor was Wooden. But that was a different time.  I had a Washington football player from the '60s telling a few of us about the cars he got to use back in the day. That was rampant and not frowned upon. I would imagine that at the time there was no NCAA rule book. There weren't even academic standards for initial eligibility (see: Chris Washburn and Dexter Manley) or continuing eligibility (see: Len Bias) until the late '80s.

I've heard plenty about Duke too. Their (alleged) scheme is a good one!  I have never heard anything about Wojo.

The UNC approach that they took was brilliant. It wasn't athletics, it was the school and those classes were offered by everyone. It became an issue of jurisdiction. Since UNC was able to prove every student had access to the courses and athletes were not the disproportionate population taking the classes the NCAA didn't have the power to sanction them; it was for their Accreditation organization to do that. remember how the NCAA's penalties against Penn State were overturned by the courts - the judge determined the violations were not those found in NCAA bylaws. UNC was hit a few years earlier for academic and agent issues in football.

There have only been three D1 programs given the Death Penalty, the last being SMU. If Baylor didn't get it back in 2005 then nobody will. The NCAA does go after big schools. They wanted to nail Miami so bad the lead investigator got himself fired for his tactics. What hamstrings the NCAA is that they don't have subpoena power.

It's funny that Tark, one of the dirtiest coaches in history, used the Cleveland State example right when they were rightfully nailed for paying recruits in the mid 80's - Manute Bol was at the center of the violations.  He was trying to play the victim and the myth survives to this day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:41:32 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
As a work of art it is insipid, overwrought, and droll. As a cultural statement it is an outrageous depiction which strips away the dignity of a people who have been brutalized by the white colonists.

Well I know you didn't plagiarize that statement because nobody else would write something so foolish. Might have to agree with "droll" -("funny, humorous, amusing, comic, comical, mirthful") Even when Ford is treating issues as serious as racism and miscegenation, he manages to mix in comedic elements. Just like Twain. 

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
Wonder how many clients he actually has, though. Likely not many Native Americans.

Do Nuyoricans count?

feedback