collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz  (Read 27702 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Buzz
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
Well, what he had that year were two future NBA first-round picks and two other guys who would go on the play in the NBA.
Buzz did a great job that year and all, but let's not overlook the fact that the team - while absolutely lacking size and depth - was plenty talented.
And let's not forget that Lazar was forced to play in the post because Buzz's plan to backup the injury-prone Chris Otule was Youssoupha Mbao.

Actually Buzz's first back-up plan was Liam McMorrow, but he had the medical issues.  Then his second back-up plan was Jeronne Maymon, who's dad wanted no part of that plan.

Yous was a late addition who signed just before the news on Liam came out. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
Cheeks1 to Cheeks2, come in please...

LOL

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »

And let's not forget that Lazar was forced to play in the post because Buzz's plan to backup the injury-prone Chris Otule was Youssoupha Mbao.

Well, no.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2019, 01:46:36 PM »
Well, no.

Well, yes.
The staff knew about McMorrow's health condition in the spring before that season. Knowing he couldn't play, they went out and signed Mbao.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 02:16:54 PM »
Buzz is one of those guys who actually looks older with hair
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
Was on the road and just got back to read responses to my post about Buzz tipping poorly.

I have absolutely no reason to believe the young woman who told me this was lying. She had absolutely no motive to lie. None. We were having a discussion, and she told me what happened.

She told me that BWW (at least the one in Blacksburg) does not have a minimum tipping requirement for a large party. I was surprised by that.

I have no idea if VaTech restricted the amount university employees could tip in such a situation, but if it did ... 10%? Really? And given that Buzz makes upwards of $3M and always paints himself as a friend of "average Joe," why wouldn't he reach into his pocket to leave a legit tip if that were the policy?

Again, unlike some Scoopers, I am a big fan of what Buzz accomplished as Marquette's coach. I LOVED watching his teams play most years, I went to the Elite 8 round in DC, and I was disappointed when he left because I thought he was an outstanding coach.

He obviously is a bad tipper, though, or at least he was that day.

The one out I will give him is that maybe he's just bad at math, or at least he was that day. It happens. I certainly don't doubt what the young woman told me is 100% true.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »
Was on the road and just got back to read responses to my post about Buzz tipping poorly.

I have absolutely no reason to believe the young woman who told me this was lying. She had absolutely no motive to lie. None. We were having a discussion, and she told me what happened.

She told me that BWW (at least the one in Blacksburg) does not have a minimum tipping requirement for a large party. I was surprised by that.

I have no idea if VaTech restricted the amount university employees could tip in such a situation, but if it did ... 10%? Really? And given that Buzz makes upwards of $3M and always paints himself as a friend of "average Joe," why wouldn't he reach into his pocket to leave a legit tip if that were the policy?

Again, unlike some Scoopers, I am a big fan of what Buzz accomplished as Marquette's coach. I LOVED watching his teams play most years, I went to the Elite 8 round in DC, and I was disappointed when he left because I thought he was an outstanding coach.

He obviously is a bad tipper, though, or at least he was that day.

The one out I will give him is that maybe he's just bad at math, or at least he was that day. It happens. I certainly don't doubt what the young woman told me is 100% true.

Maybe she was a bad waitress. Or was one of say 4. The biggest question I have on that is what kind of establishment sends one person to wait on 20+ people. Something isn't adding up

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
Well, yes.
The staff knew about McMorrow's health condition in the spring before that season. Knowing he couldn't play, they went out and signed Mbao.

So they found out about mcmorrows health issues in the spring, when nearly every good center was locked up? Damn. If that's your case against buzz you should crucify wojo every post.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
Cut bait and go with the win at all costs, rules be damned, you ain’t trying if you ain’t cheating crowd...you will be way more happy.

Could we have some examples of how Williams "cheated" and what rules he broke?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »

Ha!  As John Wayne and Buddy Holly said, “That’ll be the day.”

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 09:09:05 PM »
Ha!  As John Wayne and Buddy Holly said, “That’ll be the day.”

The Searchers is to American cinema what Not Fade Away is to Ameircan music.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
Maybe she was a bad waitress. Or was one of say 4. The biggest question I have on that is what kind of establishment sends one person to wait on 20+ people. Something isn't adding up

So based on all the information you have, the obvious conclusion is that either she was lying or she was a bad waitress (or both)? It couldn't possibly have been that she had no motivation to lie, that she was telling the truth and that Buzz (for whatever reason) left a bad tip?

OK then.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
So based on all the information you have, the obvious conclusion is that either she was lying or she was a bad waitress (or both)? It couldn't possibly have been that she had no motivation to lie, that she was telling the truth and that Buzz (for whatever reason) left a bad tip?

OK then.

A party of six or more commands a 20% automatic tip at 97% of restaurants I frequent. I blame BWW.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
The Searchers is to American cinema what Not Fade Away is to Ameircan music.

The Searchers is pure, unadulterated crap

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/04/the-searchers-john-ford-john-wayne-mediocre-western/

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Rick got dinged by the NCAA for buying dinners for his guys in the Marriott restaurant. Majerus argued, correctly, that the Marriott was his home. (As I understand, a coach having a kid over for dinner is NOT a violation of NCAA rules.)

Since Rick was busted for buying dinner for players how did Bert get away with this?

A - the rule has changed over time.

B - Rick did lots more than just buy dinner to get in trouble.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:45:41 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:14 PM »
A - the rule has changed over time.

B - Rick did lots more than just buy dinner to get in trouble.

I claim no knowledge of NCAA compliance issues. I have much more important issues to deal with.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »

As someone who used to work at a BWW during summers in college, B dubs is absolutely the type of establishment who sends one waiter to cover a 20 person table.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »

There you go again, asking for facts. Be patient, shoes are about to drop. Cheeks promised.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
So they found out about mcmorrows health issues in the spring, when nearly every good center was locked up? Damn. If that's your case against buzz you should crucify wojo every post.

Oh, grow the eff up. Newsflash... not every minor criticism of Buzz is sacrilege, and not everything needs to be viewed through a Buzz vs Wojo lens.

And, no, not "every good center" was locked up before the spring signing period. Buzz chose Mbao and it was a poor recruiting decision. He made several of them, just like every other coach. It's OK to admit it.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
The Searchers is pure, unadulterated crap

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/04/the-searchers-john-ford-john-wayne-mediocre-western/

Who you going to believe , National Review (Are they still around) or the fellow who directed Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Good Fellows?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/review-martin-scorsese-searchers-426059

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:51 AM »
I can't speak for other universities, but TAMU's policy is to only tip 10% when using university funds. As others have said, we are free to tip more on our own dime. I'll be honest, I never have. Though I've never taken more than 2 or 3 people out to a meal at a time.

To be clear, I'm speaking about my employer, not myself in the 3rd person.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
As someone who used to work at a BWW during summers in college, B dubs is absolutely the type of establishment who sends one waiter to cover a 20 person table.

Don't let facts enter into this, CSFR. Much better for folks to accept as truth what they think should be true.

I can't speak for other universities, but TAMU's policy is to only tip 10% when using university funds. As others have said, we are free to tip more on our own dime. I'll be honest, I never have. Though I've never taken more than 2 or 3 people out to a meal at a time.

To be clear, I'm speaking about my employer, not myself in the 3rd person.

So when you take people out on the company dime, you feel fine only leaving your server -- who probably makes $3/hour -- a 10% tip?

If how I'm reading that is right, TAMU, I'm quite shocked by it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
The biggest question I have on that is what kind of establishment sends one person to wait on 20+ people.

Over the years with countless team meals (often 20+ people), I can say that our best experiences typically were at restaurants who assigned one server to deal with the entire group and didn't have any other tables.  It's the equivalent of having 5-6 tables (which isn't that uncommon).  It was almost always much better than when we had multiple servers who were also responsible for other tables at the same time.  I'd rather have one dedicated server who is accountable for the table than a handful of servers who have other responsibilities and assume someone else will take care of things.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:04:31 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
I claim no knowledge of NCAA compliance issues. I have much more important issues to deal with.

"I am going to speak as though I have the ultimate knowledge on the subject, and then when told I am wrong I am going to tell everyone how important my time is and I don't care about the details to which I just spoke out from the mountaintops."

Over the years with countless team meals (often 20+ people), I can say that our best experiences typically were at restaurants who assigned one server to deal with the entire group and didn't have any other tables.  It's the equivalent of having 5-6 tables (which isn't that uncommon).  It was almost always much better than when we had multiple servers who were also responsible for other tables at the same time.  I'd rather have one dedicated server who is accountable for the table than a handful of servers who have other responsibilities and assume someone else will take care of things.

Agreed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »
Don't let facts enter into this, CSFR. Much better for folks to accept as truth what they think should be true.

I don't think people were asserting the story was false, but that MAYBE she either didn't tell the whole story or embellished it a little.  No need to be defensive about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback