collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz  (Read 27697 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Buzz
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed most of Buzz's tenure as MU coach. I thought he did a poor job in Year 6, and his departure sucked -- he looked like a hypocrite, among other things. But by and large, I appreciate what he did for Marquette basketball, and I'd love to see Wojo's teams be a little more "rough and ready" the way Buzz's guys were.

Still about Buzz but not related to this article ...

A friend of mine has a daughter who went to VaTech and graduated in 2016. I met her last week and we were talking about Buzz. She said that he totally energized the program and brought a lot of excitement to the school.

She also said she was a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings in Blacksburg in 2014 when Buzz was just getting started. "He brought his whole team in, including coaches. 20-some people. I waited on them hand and foot, took extremely good care of them. They were my only table -- I waited only on them during the hour-plus they were there. The bill comes, and he pays it with a university credit card. He left me a 10% tip. I couldn't effen believe it. So while I liked watching his team play, I never really felt like rooting for a guy who is so cheap and clueless that he leaves a great server a 10% tip."

If Buzz left a 10% tip on his personal credit card you could say he was cheap. University credit card? Most guys are heroes when it's not their money. Maybe there were restrictions, maybe someone embellished a little to you. Either way, unless there were restrictions (by the university) this doesn't make sense/pass the smell test.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
If it’s a university credit card then he didn’t pay for anything.

Right but my understanding is that an institution can only pay for restaurant meals in certain situations - like the evening before a home game.  Unless the rules adopted a few years ago changed that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
If Buzz left a 10% tip on his personal credit card you could say he was cheap. University credit card? Most guys are heroes when it's not their money. Maybe there were restrictions, maybe someone embellished a little to you. Either way, unless there were restrictions (by the university) this doesn't make sense/pass the smell test.

There are almost always tipping limitations with public university credit cards.  But that doesn't mean you can't exceed them and pay the difference.  Or maybe Buzz is just bad at math.  Or maybe his friend's daughter is a bad waitress.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
Seattle has an almost universal policy of restaurants adding 20% to the check. I actually prefer this since that's what i usually leave and, with my diminishing low light near vision, i don't have to break out the iPhone flashlight app.

My view on tipping is that if I intend to return to a place I tip properly. Wait staff are bringing you your food. Always consider that fact.

If Buzzard goes back to Wild Wings in Blacksburg he might get some additional protein in his dipping sauce.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Half this board hates buzz for some reason. The guy may be awkward and a pain to work with. But he has proven he can win, he can recruit, and he can put together teams that are better then the sums of their parts.

His story isn't done yet, and I believe in 20 years that Marquette will regret ever letting him go.

Coaches come and go, he has shown he isn’t long for anywhere.  What makes you think he was going to stay at a Marquette?  What coaches have stayed a long time?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 06:56:03 PM »
Half this board hates buzz for some reason. The guy may be awkward and a pain to work with. But he has proven he can win, he can recruit, and he can put together teams that are better then the sums of their parts.

His story isn't done yet, and I believe in 20 years that Marquette will regret ever letting him go.

i agree and i also said the same thing about rick back in 1986
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 10:15:08 PM »

As Fluffy said, there may be a limit to what can be reimbursed, but you can always tip more and pay the difference out of pocket.

I do that all the time since my organization allows a 15% limit, but I never tip less than 20%. I just pay the extra out of my own pocket.

That said, it doesn't surprise me at all that Buzz would be cheap on a tip. It's consistent with other similar stories I've heard.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:57:10 PM by forgetful »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
Tangent: IMO, tipping, as a means of compensation to make-whole a service industry employee, is bullcrap.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:11 PM »
Tangent: IMO, tipping, as a means of compensation to make-whole a service industry employee, is bullcrap.

Mr. Pink....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
Coaches come and go, he has shown he isn’t long for anywhere.  What makes you think he was going to stay at a Marquette?  What coaches have stayed a long time?

We have a bingo.  The man is a nomad and he does his thing, starts to ware on the staff and finds the cowboy shtick starts to run out of steam and moves on to the next girl.

Avg coach at MU the last 30 years is not that long in tenure.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Cheeks1 to Cheeks2, come in please...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2019, 12:19:53 AM »
Cheeks1 to Cheeks2, come in please...

Don’t forget Billy and the others.....we’re all the same...lol

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 12:28:11 AM »
Don’t forget Billy and the others.....we’re all the same...lol

#truth

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:48:23 AM by Jon »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Buzz is a stud, top 15 in the country type of coach.  He’ll win wherever he goes, no excuses.  He also brings a ton of personality to the table.  Sometimes his shtick is grating, and sometimes he dances a two step on the opponent’s home court after a huge win.  I’ll take that any day over a bland jock who, between sips from his unnecessarily large glass of ice water, talks about how someday, at some point although no one’s really sure when, this will be a program that wins games in March.

All that said, Buzz was never going to stay here long term.  He would’ve left for Texas or Louisville or a blue blood, just like Crean.  But it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Buzz is a stud, top 15 in the country type of coach.  He’ll win wherever he goes, no excuses.  He also brings a ton of personality to the table.  Sometimes his shtick is grating, and sometimes he dances a two step on the opponent’s home court after a huge win.  I’ll take that any day over a bland jock who, between sips from his unnecessarily large glass of ice water, talks about how someday, at some point although no one’s really sure when, this will be a program that wins games in March.

All that said, Buzz was never going to stay here long term.  He would’ve left for Texas or Louisville or a blue blood, just like Crean.  But it was a fun ride while it lasted.

He killed it here his last year at MU when he mailed it in.....what a stud.

I suggest you and some others maybe find a new program to cheer for because his type isn’t going to be hired at MU.  Why continue to put yourself through so much misery.  Cut bait and go with the win at all costs, rules be damned, you ain’t trying if you ain’t cheating crowd...you will be way more happy.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
Like him, dislike him, be indifferent to him, but.....Buzz’ on the court results are in line with my year to year expectations for Marquette as a program.  Can Wojo start to achieve that before he runs out of time? We’ll see.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
Like him, dislike him, be indifferent to him, but.....Buzz’ on the court results are in line with my year to year expectations for Marquette as a program.  Can Wojo start to achieve that before he runs out of time? We’ll see.

Wojo has also been asked not to do some of the things Buzz did.....which according to some here make it more difficult to achieve those results.  Wojo also didn’t walk into a ready made top 15 team like Buzz did. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 09:34:43 AM »

How much time is left at this point.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Wojo has also been asked not to do some of the things Buzz did.....which according to some here make it more difficult to achieve those results.  Wojo also didn’t walk into a ready made top 15 team like Buzz did.

What about the year where Lazar played center? People love to talk about buzz's cupboard. He won with what he had.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
What about the year where Lazar played center? People love to talk about buzz's cupboard. He won with what he had.

Well, what he had that year were two future NBA first-round picks and two other guys who would go on the play in the NBA.
Buzz did a great job that year and all, but let's not overlook the fact that the team - while absolutely lacking size and depth - was plenty talented.
And let's not forget that Lazar was forced to play in the post because Buzz's plan to backup the injury-prone Chris Otule was Youssoupha Mbao.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
I think Buzz is a great coach. I also doubt Buzz can sustain a program. He even said when he left the pressure of expectations were getting to him. He left VA Tech right around the time of expectations changing from “gosh, it’s nice to be in the tournament” to “how far can we go each year.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »
As Fluffy said, there may be a limit to what can be reimbursed, but you can always tip more and pay the difference out of pocket.

I do that all the time since my organization allows a 15% limit, but I never tip less than 20%. I just pay the extra out of my own pocket.

That said, it doesn't surprise me at all that Buzz would be cheap on a tip. It's consistent with other similar stories I've heard.

15%?!  Thats ridiculous.  Good on you for making the rest up.  I could understand 18% as its the standard group rate tip, but 15% is TIGHT.

And not to tangent, but I agree about tipping.  Bouncing around Europe and Asia on work, its great to tip and have it be very appreciated as a true bonus as opposed to a "make good" as it was aptly described.

feedback