collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz  (Read 27698 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Buzz
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
Here is the Taylor connection to the Hurleys and Joe Dooley who recruited him at Kansas. Perhaps if TT was so in love with CTC, he could have followed Nick Williams to Bloomington?  If only the Hurleys didn’t get in the way.

https://www.theday.com/article/20181015/SPORT07/181019592

As Jerel said recently, perhaps these players appreciated both coaches? I too was in KC when Taylor embraced Buzz and then TT sat with him all game.

His mom was lying and TT loved KU so much he decided not to take his visit and canceled it, only to commit there more than 6 months later after Crean left (his mom apparently lied) and all was good.

LOL

Yes, we all know what Wes said on grad day.  I know I said some things on grad day when I was 22.  We also know what else Wes said with a simple search of Google.  We also know what Wade said and still says...or Diener, Novak, McNeal, etc.  Yup, some coaches piss off their players.  Some coaches are loved by them.  And sometimes, players don’t like their coaches for a time and years later when they mature and grow up, they begin to understand and change their tune.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
This is absolutely correct.

Yup, that’s why his mom was lying apparently and why it took them 4 weeks to commit.  Look, it worked out great for him.  Buzz recruited him, and he committed to MU to play for Crean and Marquette.  Crean left, mom said what she did (apparently lying), Hurley asked for release.  MU says you need to meet with our new head coach.  That ends up being Buzz, who TT already knew well and he said no thanks.  Went to KU.

Worked well for him and unfortunately was a big missing piece for us that first year with DJ’s injury.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
His mom was lying and TT loved KU so much he decided not to take his visit and canceled it, only to commit there more than 6 months later after Crean left (his mom apparently lied) and all was good.

LOL

Yes, we all know what Wes said on grad day.  I know I said some things on grad day when I was 22.  We also know what else Wes said with a simple search of Google.  We also know what Wade said and still says...or Diener, Novak, McNeal, etc.  Yup, some coaches piss off their players.  Some coaches are loved by them.  And sometimes, players don’t like their coaches for a time and years later when they mature and grow up, they begin to understand and change their tune.

Cheeks is the Hermie of the Taylor family.  Mr. Insider of their family workings. Thanks for the 911.

You do remember a Hurley working at CTC's camp during TT's recruitment, right?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »
Cheeks is the Hermie of the Taylor family.  Mr. Insider of their family workings. Thanks for the 911.

You do remember a Hurley working at CTC's camp during TT's recruitment, right?

I simply take the woman at her word...why would she lie and so quickly after incident?

Why would the response not be something like this

“He will be fine, KU and other schools are after my son anyway and he wanted to go there anyway.”

“This is a blessing in disguise, my son will be fine and we have already been contacted by other schools”

Etc

Instead, it was nothing of the kind.  No relief, no excitement, but rather concern....so weird for a kid that had a foot already out the door and was just waiting for this to happen...so weird...eh.  LOL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »
I simply take the woman at her word...why would she lie and so quickly after incident?

Why would the response not be something like this

“He will be fine, KU and other schools are after my son anyway and he wanted to go there anyway.”

“This is a blessing in disguise, my son will be fine and we have already been contacted by other schools”

Etc

Instead, it was nothing of the kind.  No relief, no excitement, but rather concern....so weird for a kid that had a foot already out the door and was just waiting for this to happen...so weird...eh.  LOL

Was Mom the one who got the get out of jail free card and a ticket to Lawrence? She may have been confused and freaking a bit but that doesn't mean Ty and Hurley weren't doing cartwheels.

BTW, any idea why Ty didn't give Crean the courtesy of a meeting regarding blue blood Indiana? I mean, being as he was so heartbroken over TC leaving MU maybe Ty could have "healed" in Bloomington. Nick Williams did. For a year, anyway. LOL.

That's it from me in this thread. I've had it with your irrelevancies, obfuscations and outright lies. I'll let Doc, Titan, MU 12, J Wags, Lens and the the rest of the group who know you're full of sh*t in this discussion take it from here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:33:54 PM by Lennys Tap »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
Was Mom the one who got the get out of jail free card and a ticket to Lawrence? She may have been confused and freaking a bit but that doesn't mean Ty and Hurley weren't doing cartwheels.

BTW, any idea why Ty didn't give Crean the courtesy of a meeting regarding blue blood Indiana? I mean, being as he was so heartbroken over TC leaving MU maybe Ty could have "healed" in Bloomington. Nick Williams did. For a year, anyway. LOL.

That's it from me in this thread. I've had it with your irrelevancies, obfuscations and outright lies. I'll let Doc, Titan, MU 12, J Wags, Lens and the the rest of the group who know you're full of sh*t in this discussion take it from here.

Really?  So again mom is lying is the answer.  Occam’s razor.  He knew Buzz, recruited by Buzz, MU said no release unless you meet with Buzz...that happened....good bye....not playing for Buzz.

As for IU and TT, are you serious.  They were facing major NCAA punishment potentially, a gutting of the roster....gee, why wouldn’t you want to go there for a rebuild and potentially never be able to go to the tournament not knowing what the NCAA verdict was going to be.

Please Lenny, use your brain.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2019, 11:42:08 AM »
Really?  So again mom is lying is the answer.  Occam’s razor.  He knew Buzz, recruited by Buzz, MU said no release unless you meet with Buzz...that happened....good bye....not playing for Buzz.

As for IU and TT, are you serious.  They were facing major NCAA punishment potentially, a gutting of the roster....gee, why wouldn’t you want to go there for a rebuild and potentially never be able to go to the tournament not knowing what the NCAA verdict was going to be.

Please Lenny, use your brain.

TT was going to Kansas after the opportunity presented itself, I agree.  If you remember, Taylor wasn’t even a starter on his high school team but rose up the rankings on that super high school team. And KU had late openings.

Now, in terms of following CTC, he had playing time to sell. MU recruits Nick Williams (signed and released), Bobby Copabianco, Maurice Creek and Luke Fischer all followed Crean to Bloomington despite a cloud or known punishments (btw, did CTC refund part of his MU salary for recruiting them to IU?). So, if Taylor’s mom was that upset with Crean for leaving her son high and dry, then the known Hurley connection helped soothe her anxiety with the safe network of Dooley and Self at Kansas.  As a parent, I think we can all see why she was so upset with Crean, and how she could trust her son’s high school coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »

A smart sentiment. For the life of me, I can’t understand how otherwise smart posters allow themselves to be dragged down the rabbit hole with this kook.

Not a criticism of you, Lenny, as I have done the same in the past. No more, though.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
A smart sentiment. For the life of me, I can’t understand how otherwise smart posters allow themselves to be dragged down the rabbit hole with this kook.

Not a criticism of you, Lenny, as I have done the same in the past. No more, though.

When are you finally moving to Canada....what do you have against Mexico again?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
TT was going to Kansas after the opportunity presented itself, I agree.  If you remember, Taylor wasn’t even a starter on his high school team but rose up the rankings on that super high school team. And KU had late openings.

Now, in terms of following CTC, he had playing time to sell. MU recruits Nick Williams (signed and released), Bobby Copabianco, Maurice Creek and Luke Fischer all followed Crean to Bloomington despite a cloud or known punishments (btw, did CTC refund part of his MU salary for recruiting them to IU?). So, if Taylor’s mom was that upset with Crean for leaving her son high and dry, then the known Hurley connection helped soothe her anxiety with the safe network of Dooley and Self at Kansas.  As a parent, I think we can all see why she was so upset with Crean, and how she could trust her son’s high school coach.

We have some agreement here, but unfortunately this isn’t what some here have been saying....including those claiming lies and when shown how wrong he is he bails.  Some here in the past have even suggested TT was never going to set foot on MU’s campus, which is total crap.

Where I disagree with you is on the playing time to sell...you are not wrong, he had it to sell but if a program may be facing ncaa penalties a player is also going to weigh team success, chance to play in post season, etc.

Taylor got to play major minutes at KU....23 minutes per game as a freshman.  He would unlikely get no more at IU and not have to worry about NCAA sanctions.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »
(btw, did CTC refund part of his MU salary for recruiting them to IU?).

He did. The Arrogant A$$wipe of Athens topped up his check for the Marquette soccer stadium.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
TC cut the same check to MU that Buzz cut to UNO when he pulled Fulce to Milwaukee.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
TC cut the same check to MU that Buzz cut to UNO when he pulled Fulce to Milwaukee.

Joe Fulce committed to Tom Crean.  MU paid a buy-out for an assistant coach?

I know Buzz sued UNO for breach in 2007 and eventually UNO counter-sued. Maybe Strong or someone helped with an eventual settlement. Not sure...but I would be surprised if MU paid directly for an assistant.

Anyone know if VT paid MU or if MU waived the buy-out?  IIRC, MU greatly reduced it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »

I think Buzz then recut that check back to MU for stealing recruits that were going to MU but ended up at VPI.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:26:12 PM by Cheeks »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
Respectfully, this is different from your post that started this back-and-forth.

It is? How? I never said he trashed Crean? I literally said he broke out cause of Buzz and that personally called that out/acknowledged that. If it wasn’t a matter of a change Buzz made, then he would have acknowledged both Crean and Buzz in his development. This discussion took on a great life after my initial comment, but I personally never said anything more than Wes’ senior year breakout being cause of Buzz, and i don’t see how I’ve presented anything but. I’m not speaking for anyone else in this discussion. Unless you want to get into “He didn’t SPECIFICALLY say that, so we can’t interpret his words”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »
It is? How? I never said he trashed Crean? I literally said he broke out cause of Buzz and that personally called that out/acknowledged that. If it wasn’t a matter of a change Buzz made, then he would have acknowledged both Crean and Buzz in his development. This discussion took on a great life after my initial comment, but I personally never said anything more than Wes’ senior year breakout being cause of Buzz, and i don’t see how I’ve presented anything but. I’m not speaking for anyone else in this discussion. Unless you want to get into “He didn’t SPECIFICALLY say that, so we can’t interpret his words”

"Wes Matthews doesn't explode and become 2nd team All-BE if Crean stays either.  He said as much himself."

Wes didn't say this.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »
"Wes Matthews doesn't explode and become 2nd team All-BE if Crean stays either.  He said as much himself."

Wes didn't say this.

Seriously man? I clarified and pointed to what he said in a later post. I’ll be more succinct for the court next time, Counselor  ::)   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
Well this is getting locked now.
If only we were so lucky
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
Wes' situation was interesting... the pro-style sets Crean ran parked him in the corner too much, but he had to learn multiple positions. Buzz took advantage of his size, and helped get him into more advantageous offensive positions.

His senior year got him noticed, but I think the knowledge gained in the prior three helped him stick in the league.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2019, 06:52:16 PM »
Wes' situation was interesting... the pro-style sets Crean ran parked him in the corner too much, but he had to learn multiple positions. Buzz took advantage of his size, and helped get him into more advantageous offensive positions.

His senior year got him noticed, but I think the knowledge gained in the prior three helped him stick in the league.

Excellent observation, and in Wes’s quotes about Crean in 2017 he acknowledged the toughness, etc that Crean as a coach brought him.  Logic would dictate he got good coaching from both staffs and benefitted from them both.