collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz  (Read 27701 times)

tower912

• All American
Buzz
« on: August 18, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Buzz
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:20:57 PM »

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:39:24 AM »
Actually, the subsequent article on the page was more interesting.

Everyone knows the shoe companies are dirty. Something really needs to be done.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Article on Buzz is nothing new, but enjoyed it. Love the fact that he relates with the "brothers". That probably was what I loved the most about him. I do believe that chip on his shoulder goes a long way with the type of player he recruits. No doubt he will take the A&M program on a fun ride.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
Article on Buzz is nothing new, but enjoyed it. Love the fact that he relates with the "brothers". That probably was what I loved the most about him. I do believe that chip on his shoulder goes a long way with the type of player he recruits. No doubt he will take the A&M program on a fun ride.

Bert will win. He is a great coach. He knows who he is, a paranoid Asperger's obsessive compulsive, and recruits kids who will buy into his victimhood narrative.

I feel sorry for the A&M administration, though, as Bertram brings a lot of issues they will be forced to deal with.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
Half this board hates buzz for some reason. The guy may be awkward and a pain to work with. But he has proven he can win, he can recruit, and he can put together teams that are better then the sums of their parts.

His story isn't done yet, and I believe in 20 years that Marquette will regret ever letting him go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
Half this board hates buzz for some reason. The guy may be awkward and a pain to work with. But he has proven he can win, he can recruit, and he can put together teams that are better then the sums of their parts.

His story isn't done yet, and I believe in 20 years that Marquette will regret ever letting him go.

It's pretty easy to understand why people at MUScoop don't like Buzz.  He gave up on his team after Vander left, he left Marquette with a bare cupboard, he might as well have just announced his exit from Marquette when he was on the set during the NCAA Tournament with his VT pin on his suit, he trashed the Big East on his way out, and he had player and/or NCAA issues seemingly every season he was here.

Not to mention his "aw shucks look at me I'm just the little guy from JUCO who doesn't know any better than wiping down floors and writing a letter a day to every coach I've ever come across" (but will demand a private jet on call to be ready within the hour of his need) got a little old.

He's a good coach.  He'll also bring you a ton of baggage and, by his own admission, he'll only be around for 5-8 years, and he'll leave your program with very little talent remaining.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »

Not many people here hate Buzz, certainly not half of Scoopers. Some of us love the work he did here, but don't appreciate the way he took shots at MU and the Big East on his way out the door.
Say what you want about Crean and his "It's Indiana" routine, but at least he never spoke ill of Marquette and continues to speak highly of his experience there.

And no, Buzz wasn't let go. He chose to leave, even after the university gave him what he wanted.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »

And no, Buzz wasn't let go. He chose to leave, even after the university gave him what he wanted.

I appreciate what Buzz did for Marquette and I loved the ferocity of his teams. In many ways, it was the best run we have had since Al.

But Buzz didn't go with dignity and there were many problems which were unacceptable from any perspective.

I have a colleague who played ball for Dean Smith at UNC. When the fake course story broke I ribbed him about that. His reply was that everyone cheats. In some way. And he specifically mentioned Buzz.

He also has maintained over the years that Coach K is far from the saint people have made him out to be. I think some of that evidence is now coming out.

As an aside, his father went to vet school at Auburn so he follows Auburn sports, too. He has met Pearl and thinks The Bruce has one of the finest tactical minds in college ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »

Marquette didn't let him go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »

Marquette didn't let him go.

So Marquette did all in their power to have him stay? No? Then they let him go.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »
So Marquette did all in their power to have him stay? No? Then they let him go.

That's really poor logic.  Buzz used his own free will to leave Marquette.  The choice was entirely his.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Buzz sucks.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed most of Buzz's tenure as MU coach. I thought he did a poor job in Year 6, and his departure sucked -- he looked like a hypocrite, among other things. But by and large, I appreciate what he did for Marquette basketball, and I'd love to see Wojo's teams be a little more "rough and ready" the way Buzz's guys were.

Still about Buzz but not related to this article ...

A friend of mine has a daughter who went to VaTech and graduated in 2016. I met her last week and we were talking about Buzz. She said that he totally energized the program and brought a lot of excitement to the school.

She also said she was a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings in Blacksburg in 2014 when Buzz was just getting started. "He brought his whole team in, including coaches. 20-some people. I waited on them hand and foot, took extremely good care of them. They were my only table -- I waited only on them during the hour-plus they were there. The bill comes, and he pays it with a university credit card. He left me a 10% tip. I couldn't effen believe it. So while I liked watching his team play, I never really felt like rooting for a guy who is so cheap and clueless that he leaves a great server a 10% tip."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed most of Buzz's tenure as MU coach. I thought he did a poor job in Year 6, and his departure sucked -- he looked like a hypocrite, among other things.

It is funny to see how many people cite the departure as a factor in whether you like the coach's time at a university.  To me the only time you are satisfied with 'the departure' is if they are Al (retiring) or getting fired (finally time to look forward to the future).

Other than that, there really isn't a great way to break-up/leave.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 12:52:50 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed most of Buzz's tenure as MU coach. I thought he did a poor job in Year 6, and his departure sucked -- he looked like a hypocrite, among other things. But by and large, I appreciate what he did for Marquette basketball, and I'd love to see Wojo's teams be a little more "rough and ready" the way Buzz's guys were.

Still about Buzz but not related to this article ...

A friend of mine has a daughter who went to VaTech and graduated in 2016. I met her last week and we were talking about Buzz. She said that he totally energized the program and brought a lot of excitement to the school.

She also said she was a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings in Blacksburg in 2014 when Buzz was just getting started. "He brought his whole team in, including coaches. 20-some people. I waited on them hand and foot, took extremely good care of them. They were my only table -- I waited only on them during the hour-plus they were there. The bill comes, and he pays it with a university credit card. He left me a 10% tip. I couldn't effen believe it. So while I liked watching his team play, I never really felt like rooting for a guy who is so cheap and clueless that he leaves a great server a 10% tip."

Buzz's life lessons.  Tipping the water bottle half full of sand to see how you respond.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
Other than that, there really isn't a great way to break-up/leave.

I'm pretty sure there are better ways to leave than taking a dump (and not flushing, of course) on the people who gave you an opportunity that, by your own admission, you probably didn't deserve.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 02:13:33 PM »
Buzz the coach ----- great coach, Final Four type of coaching mind

Buzz the university representative(commercial) ---- mixed bag, it'll work out great as long as the representation aligns with how and what Buzz things is the way to go

Buzz as a university employee --- Highest of high maintenance. His way or the highway and unless you can work within his framework of right and wrong, etc you'll be ok

Buzz as someone who'll run a "clean program" --- no way in hell. And I mean this sincerely it's not because he is trying to cheat but he has total OCD around fighting for the underprivledged within the context of basketball and it absolutely takes priority over any other concern.

Buzz is a great coach, solid talent evaluator, etc but at the end of the day if your objectives/goals don't line up with his expectations things will blow up. He is not one to compromise or see the other side of the coin. I don't ascribe any of it really to malice(in the moment, after the fact he'll burn you for sure because he feels wronged) I simply think he has a certain point of view and no real ability to see any other point of view.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »

Curious what the rules are there. Is it a violation for the coach to buy dinner for his entire team?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
Curious what the rules are there. Is it a violation for the coach to buy dinner for his entire team?

I was thinking the same thing.

Rick got dinged by the NCAA for buying dinners for his guys in the Marriott restaurant. Majerus argued, correctly, that the Marriott was his home. (As I understand, a coach having a kid over for dinner is NOT a violation of NCAA rules.)

Since Rick was busted for buying dinner for players how did Bert get away with this?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Rick got dinged by the NCAA for buying dinners for his guys in the Marriott restaurant. Majerus argued, correctly, that the Marriott was his home. (As I understand, a coach having a kid over for dinner is NOT a violation of NCAA rules.)

Since Rick was busted for buying dinner for players how did Bert get away with this?
If it’s a university credit card then he didn’t pay for anything.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »
He also has maintained over the years that Coach K is far from the saint people have made him out to be. I think some of that evidence is now coming out.

As an aside, his father went to vet school at Auburn so he follows Auburn sports, too. He has met Pearl and thinks The Bruce has one of the finest tactical minds in college ball.

Coach K cares about Coach K far and away above all else.  So writers, students, players, parents, etc... who potentially tarnish that brand in any way, will be subject to hellfire.  And he sold his sold to the 1 and Done game awhile ago, so Duke is a slimy and dirty as they come in that space.  They are the smartest about it though, letting the shoe companies handle the dirty work IMO.

And speaking of slimy, Pearl is 100% and can't stop getting in trouble for skirting the edges, but there is zero doubt he can coach.  He's won everywhere.  You could put him at Depaul and he'd have a winner in a couple years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »
That's really poor logic.  Buzz used his own free will to leave Marquette.  The choice was entirely his.

I actually think you're both right. Buzz left of his own free will and MU let him go.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »
I actually think you're both right. Buzz left of his own free will and MU let him go.

Exactly, purest example of mutual separation I've ever seen
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback