collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 64698 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
soccer player from LA Galaxy is her husband.

Married girl u say? Oooh yeah!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2019, 11:21:05 AM »
Carli Lloyd continues to be absurdly talented and immune to the aging process.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Carli Lloyd continues to be absurdly talented and immune to the aging process.

This is basically their second XI as well

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
This is basically their second XI as well

Chile's goalkeeper has been really good today. 3 sensational saves. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Sweden. Big step up in class.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2019, 12:25:13 PM »
Chile's goalkeeper has been really good today. 3 sensational saves. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Sweden. Big step up in class.

Different coach, but I wonder if he will employ the Pia method vs the US. Just refuse to attack the entire match.

Is this their first match against each other since the 2016 Olympics?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »
No, USA beat them in 2017 1-0. But in competitive matches, the US is on a 3-match winless streak against the Swedes. They lost in the 2011 WC group, drew in 2015, and Sweden knocked us out in penalties at the 2016 Olympics.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
Oh I suspect there will be many because they are paid more than the women and the revenues generated by the men’s teams in FIFA dwarf the women’s side.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-womens-soccer-games-out-earned-mens-games-11560765600

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 11:58:10 AM »
*golf clap*
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-womens-soccer-games-out-earned-mens-games-11560765600

The article really only focuses on ticket sales revenue.  In a period where the USMNT hasn't played meaningful games in a few years and the USWNT is excelling.  Its interesting but an altogether misleading article.

Again, the USMNT stinks out loud right now, and the USWNT is one the most fun American representatives on an international stage since the Dream Team, but its purely an argument of economics and this article is taking some creative liberties.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »
The article really only focuses on ticket sales revenue.  In a period where the USMNT hasn't played meaningful games in a few years and the USWNT is excelling.  Its interesting but an altogether misleading article.

Again, the USMNT stinks out loud right now, and the USWNT is one the most fun American representatives on an international stage since the Dream Team, but its purely an argument of economics and this article is taking some creative liberties.

The period cited was the three years after the 2015 Women's World Cup.
In that time, competitive USMNT matches at home have included:
- Mexico (CONACAF Cup)
- Colombia (x2), Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ecuador and Argentina (Copa America)
- Two Gold Cups
- Six World Cup qualifiers

And that's not to mention friendlies against the likes of Brazil, Serbia, Ghana, Mexico, and Bosnia and Herzegovina ... matches that, while not "meaningful," should be expected to draw a crowd.

So, to dismiss these results as a result of a lack of meaningful games is altogether misleading.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:37 PM »
The period cited was the three years after the 2015 Women's World Cup.
In that time, competitive USMNT matches at home have included:
- Mexico (CONACAF Cup)
- Colombia (x2), Costa Rica, Paraguay, Ecuador and Argentina (Copa America)
- Two Gold Cups
- Six World Cup qualifiers

And that's not to mention friendlies against the likes of Brazil, Serbia, Ghana, Mexico, and Bosnia and Herzegovina ... matches that, while not "meaningful," should be expected to draw a crowd.

So, to dismiss these results as a result of a lack of meaningful games is altogether misleading.

Hand up, I completely forgot Copa America was in the US that year. I also didn’t believe the 2015 GC was included given the WWC overlap. So I was looking at a couple WC qualifiers, the Mexico match, and friendlies during a time when optimism about the USMNT was at a significant low.

Regardless, ticket revenue is still a metric that ignores the main drivers of revenue in sports today. There are AAA baseball teams that outdraw some MLB teams. That doesn’t mean those players should be making 7 figures

In WWC discussion, lot of analysts are predicting Sweden to park the bus in kinder terms. Really hope they are mistaken. Two of the premiere women’s teams in the world deserve an entertaining match, not Mourinho ball
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:07:04 PM by JWags85 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:58 PM »
Regardless, ticket revenue is still a metric that ignores the main drivers of revenue in sports today. There are AAA baseball teams that outdraw some MLB teams. That doesn’t mean those players should be making 7 figures

That's fair. I'm not arguing the compensation issue, nor do I believe gate revenue alone should determine that.
But those numbers do at least contradict the notion that the men's revenues "dwarf" that of the women, at least here in the U.S.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
In WWC discussion, lot of analysts are predicting Sweden to park the bus in kinder terms. Really hope they are mistaken. Two of the premiere women’s teams in the world deserve an entertaining match, not Mourinho ball

That's how Sweden has been able to stick with us in the past. Even though they're a top-10 side, I think the talent gap is larger than that would normally indicate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
Technically the right call, but a crappy way for Nigeria to lose.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
Technically the right call, but a crappy way for Nigeria to lose.   

If they're going to call that, they should also call the two French players in the box before the shot was taken.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
VAR is gross. Keepers coming off their line early has been a part of soccer since the beginning of time - if its not blatantly obvious, can't call it. VAR should be restricted to whether goals crossed the line and that's it. A very passionate argument might be able to talk me into offsides.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
It took VAR to get the PK called.    Then, VAR called the violation on the Nigerian goal keeper.    Odd that it would help out the home team. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
USA soccer prices out their own fans, and especially potential fans, for usmnt games. So unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
If they're going to call that, they should also call the two French players in the box before the shot was taken.

Agreed.  VAR should have made the call on the French in the box.

I'm fine with very limited VAR, checking for penalties and/or cards, if called by the field refs, offsides on a goal and very little else.  Afraid it's going to turn footie into the NFL.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2019, 06:17:04 AM »
USA soccer prices out their own fans, and especially potential fans, for usmnt games. So unnatural carnal knowledgeing stupid

Yeah, even the American Outlaws seats have skyrocketed in price. I shudder in advance what USMNT home matches will cost in 2026.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »
This US team is so good at changing the point of attack. The way they make cross-pitch passes, not just in terms of accuracy but hitting targets in rhythm. Love watching this team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »
Hosts France survive and advance with a 2-1 win over Brazil after added time. It took 120 minutes and a wrong footed volley from Amandine Henry that managed to sneak in at the 106 mark, but they will await the winner of tomorrow's USA/Spain match. If we advance, that will be a quarterfinal worthy of being a title decider.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »

I stand by my statement.  One year in the last 10 the women exceeded the men in ticket revenue, by a fraction.  The men have dwarfed the women in revenue despite being not nearly as heralded as the women.  The article also does not mention media rights, they simply are not even on the same planet.  The revenues for FIFA men’s World Cup are many X more valuable than the women’s tournament.  This is why prize money for the last men’s World Cup was close to half a billion dollars, but on the women’s side it was $30 million.  Those dollars are derived from television and digital rights, and the interest level for the men’s product is derived from there.

Let’s also look at ticket prices for the men and women.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
What an absolute embarrassing display by Cameroon.  Elbowing players in the face, spitting on players, throwing tantrums on the field, refusing to kick off after a goal was correctly given, and then claiming that the refs/VAR were acting racist against you.  I'm amazed that 93rd minute tackle wasn't a straight red; late, high, clearly intent to injure.  I don't blame Phil Neville, or the head of CAF for wanting punishment to come down on the players and coach.  You're representing your country at the World Cup, not a Middle School pick-up game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2019, 10:22:52 AM »
What an absolute embarrassing display by Cameroon.  Elbowing players in the face, spitting on players, throwing tantrums on the field, refusing to kick off after a goal was correctly given, and then claiming that the refs/VAR were acting racist against you.  I'm amazed that 93rd minute tackle wasn't a straight red; late, high, clearly intent to injure.  I don't blame Phil Neville, or the head of CAF for wanting punishment to come down on the players and coach.  You're representing your country at the World Cup, not a Middle School pick-up game.

The best take I saw on the situation was that you can praise their struggle and perseverance to qualify for the tourney but still condemn their complete lack of professionalism and childish actions once they got their.  People were acting like by calling out the latter, you negated the former, which is just silly.

feedback