[Today at 02:23:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:59:35 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 64504 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Womens Soccer Championship.
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
I thought I start a thread since the USA team plays their first game today at 3 pm EDT on FOX.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »
Up 7-0 after scoring four goals in a six minute stretch in the second half. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Everytime i watch this team it blows me away the level difference of talent.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »
Everytime i watch this team it blows me away the level difference of talent.

See that a lot in women’s sports.  The depth at the elite levels isn’t there.  It is why only a handful of teams win it each year in NCAA sports like basketball, etc.  It has gotten better with depth, but still a long way to go.

The 100th ranked men’s tennis player can knock off #1.  Same for men’s basketball or golf or you name it.  Just doesn’t happen on the women’s side.

This game is outright embarrassing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
Holy hell, that’s an American football score.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
See that a lot in women’s sports.  The depth at the elite levels isn’t there.  It is why only a handful of teams win it each year in NCAA sports like basketball, etc.  It has gotten better with depth, but still a long way to go.

The 100th ranked men’s tennis player can knock off #1.  Same for men’s basketball or golf or you name it.  Just doesn’t happen on the women’s side.

Mostly, at least internationally, because very few countries actually dedicate resources to women's athletics.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
Mostly, at least internationally, because very few countries actually dedicate resources to women's athletics.

USWNT stalwarts are bringing in high 6, sometimes low 7 figures despite not making less than $50K in the domestic league while the Thai team they just demolished has their top players making less than $8K from the team a year.

Its less about depth and more about resources.  Look at India.  Less Olympic medals in 50 years total than Michael Phelps cause they don't support or fund it.  Yet their premiere sport they do love and support, cricket, they are an absolute powerhouse.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 07:56:23 PM »
Many causes, but resources or lack of them still contributes to the massive lack of quality depth.

I agree it is a major reason why.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:02 PM »

A high school men's team would murder the best college women's team in basketball, possibly a wnba team.

It's closer in sports like golf and tennis.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »

Coleman has it 100%. The US woman's team is by far the most funded, and last I checked (4 years) the only ones who were paid.

The Japanese team they played in the championship were essentially semi pro players who practiced after work. They even had to request off work to go to the world cup, and I believe a couple of players were denied.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »

I would disagree on tennis. Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer have won something like 52 of the last 60 majors. Serena has been pretty dominant, but I feel like there are far more upsets in women’s tennis.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:35 AM »
Any y'all heer woodant like ta due Alex Morgan, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »
Coleman has it 100%. The US woman's team is by far the most funded, and last I checked (4 years) the only ones who were paid.

The Japanese team they played in the championship were essentially semi pro players who practiced after work. They even had to request off work to go to the world cup, and I believe a couple of players were denied.

Guys will use any reason to justify being bested by women.  USMNT just needs to step up.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
Guys will use any reason to justify being bested by women.  USMNT just needs to step up.

I truly hope this is sarcastic. USMNT would step it up fine if they played against Gibraltar, the Faroe Islands, Haiti, and then say Poland, South Korea, and Ivory Coast every year.  Cause thats the discrepancy in resources and funding.  The USWNT is incredible, amazing to watch, and as good an ambassador to youth soccer and girls in sport as you can get.  But the constant comparisons to the mens team is tiresome.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
I truly hope this is sarcastic. USMNT would step it up fine if they played against Gibraltar, the Faroe Islands, Haiti, and then say Poland, South Korea, and Ivory Coast every year.  Cause thats the discrepancy in resources and funding.  The USWNT is incredible, amazing to watch, and as good an ambassador to youth soccer and girls in sport as you can get.  But the constant comparisons to the mens team is tiresome.

Except Poland, South Korea and Ivory Coast would probably beat the US right now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Except Poland, South Korea and Ivory Coast would probably beat the US right now.

Yea, I was thinking the standard USMNT, not the current Berhalter get whomped by Venezuela disarray

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »

Take it from someone who is Male and has scrimmaged the likes of Julie Foudy, Aly Wagner, and Abby Wambauch.....the women could absolutely beat the men. Yes, men have some physical advantages on the field but almost universally the womens players have better touch, control, etc. The US women are the absolute cream of the athletic crop whereas USMNT is generally at least a 3rd tier athletic talent.

I was a 17 year old ODP hot shot that got absolutely destroyed by Aly Wagner a couple of times. The women can absolutely play with the men.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »
Take it from someone who is Male and has scrimmaged the likes of Julie Foudy, Aly Wagner, and Abby Wambauch.....the women could absolutely beat the men. Yes, men have some physical advantages on the field but almost universally the womens players have better touch, control, etc. The US women are the absolute cream of the athletic crop whereas USMNT is generally at least a 3rd tier athletic talent.

I was a 17 year old ODP hot shot that got absolutely destroyed by Aly Wagner a couple of times. The women can absolutely play with the men.

I have never scrimmaged any of those women, and am by no means a soccer expert.  I am, however, extremely skeptical of your claim.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »

I just said it to get a rise out of some of you, and apparently, it worked.

Also yeah, I know firsthand that guys hate it when a woman is better than them in sports.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

you mean like the time the USMNT with a World Cup berth on the line played the backups of an already eliminated and nothing to play for Trinidad and Tobago squad and kicked their.... oh, wait, never mind.

And as much as I enjoy men's soccer, I enjoy even more the lack of diving and players acting like they've been shot in the women's game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:05:42 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »

Also yeah, I know firsthand that some guys hate it when a woman is better than them in sports.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 12:55:25 PM »

So because you, as a HS senior, got beat by a top 3 US women's player in her prime, the Women's team could thus beat the men...ok.  3rd tier athletic talent is also an absolute joke of a statement.

Also yeah, I know firsthand that guys hate it when a woman is better than them in sports.

Get off your high horse.  There are some amazing shooters and overall ballers in the WNBA who would probably fleece me 10-0 in 1v1, that doesn't mean they could cut it in the NBA or should be compared to NBA players.  Serena Williams could murder me in tennis, that doesn't mean she'd be a top 25 player on the Men's tour.  Thats not anti-women or women's sports.  Its just factual.

I have absolutely no problem calling out and acknowledging excellence in women's sports.  I have two different USWNT jerseys and have a good friend who plays in the NWSL.  I have an issue with the constant need to take shots at the USMNT as a result of USWNT success.  They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Its as tired as the old farts complaining that the women celebrated too much yesterday.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
So because you, as a HS senior, got beat by a top 3 US women's player in her prime, the Women's team could thus beat the men...ok.  3rd tier athletic talent is also an absolute joke of a statement.

Get off your high horse.  There are some amazing shooters and overall ballers in the WNBA who would probably fleece me 10-0 in 1v1, that doesn't mean they could cut it in the NBA or should be compared to NBA players.  Serena Williams could murder me in tennis, that doesn't mean she'd be a top 25 player on the Men's tour.  Thats not anti-women or women's sports.  Its just factual.

I have absolutely no problem calling out and acknowledging excellence in women's sports.  I have two different USWNT jerseys and have a good friend who plays in the NWSL.  I have an issue with the constant need to take shots at the USMNT as a result of USWNT success.  They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Its as tired as the old farts complaining that the women celebrated too much yesterday.

Hee hee, it's working even better than I thought.... 

Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »

This is the textbook definition of trolling, just FYI, but

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:20:52 PM by Coleman »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »
The ladies did OK yesterday
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback