[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers  (Read 3701 times)

MU82

• All American
Thoughts and prayers
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »
There ... problem solved again!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Thoughts and prayers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
I just wonder why we have laws against things like opioids.  After all, just like guns don't kill people, it's people that kill people, opioids don't kill people, people kill people.

How dumb is that argument?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »

^^^ ban dis gf individual
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
I just wonder why we have laws against things like opioids.  After all, just like guns don't kill people, it's people that kill people, opioids don't kill people, people kill people.

How dumb is that argument?

Lots of things kill people. Let's ban everything that has/does.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »

C'mon, Lenny. You're smarter than that. On 2nd thought, I'm 99% sure that your post is just making fun of the chico/jb's of the world. I'm thinking a tad slow today.

How about we do something about things that kill large quantities of people? On a daily basis?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »

But what about Chicago?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 03:14:14 PM »
But what about Chicago?

Things would be better if surrounding states had more comprehensive laws, IMO.

Having said that, imo, gang shootings are vastly different than mass terror shootings.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »

Having said that, imo, gang shootings are vastly different than mass terror shootings.

Not to the victims
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »

My bad.
Following the lead, I thought this is where we posted brainless non sequiturs about gun violence.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »

Mike,

...and you wonder why people give you sh1t on this board.  Please post on a political board.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
And.....in before the lock.   :D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »
Perhaps the answer is to make the consequences of having an unregistered firearm or using a firearm of any kind in the commission of a felony so steep as to create a deterrent for use of firearms in criminal acts.

I know there is much concern in society about "locking 'em up and throwing away the key," but what we have seen lately is for real. Too many people are dying from illegal firearms use that we need to take sensible steps to ensure the carnage stops.

The severe penalties would be prison without parole for anything from illegal possession of a firearm (and an unregistered firearm) up to capital murder.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »
Perhaps the answer is to make the consequences of having an unregistered firearm or using a firearm of any kind in the commission of a felony so steep as to create a deterrent for use of firearms in criminal acts.

I know there is much concern in society about "locking 'em up and throwing away the key," but what we have seen lately is for real. Too many people are dying from illegal firearms use that we need to take sensible steps to ensure the carnage stops.

The severe penalties would be prison without parole for anything from illegal possession of a firearm (and an unregistered firearm) up to capital murder.

First extensive background checks in order to get into an extensive class on how to properly use, handle, etc. guns/gun safety class (meaning it would be a multi-week process).

Then severe penalties for those who find themselves with a gun without that original background.  And severe punishments for people/stores that sell those guns to people who do not take those steps first.

And maybe getting assault rifles off the market entirely.  There's one purpose for an assault rifle and we're seeing it take lives way too often.  There's really no need for them whatsoever.

Just some common sense laws.  "Anti gun" people are willing to meet somewhere in the middle.  Unfortunately there's too much money going into the pockets on the other side for any common sense to come into play here.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:17:11 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »
Remember when 82 wasnt allowed to start topics?  I do.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
Make bullets $10 apiece

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 05:47:18 PM »

Certainly da Squad will figure it out, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
IBTL

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »
guns don't kill people, but they allow people to kill people.

I hate to wade into the political topics but I feel this is more societal than political. I own a gun (hunting rifle) so it isn't like I'm anti-gun. But, I'd have to shoot then reload after three shots. If the shooter in the Wal-Mart on Saturday was using my gun then far fewer people are dead.

My uncle owns probably close to 100 handguns and rifles. He collects them and shoots some of them at ranges. No problem with that. He goes through background checks with each purchase.

I also have no issues with background checks. If you have an issue then perhaps there's something in your background to make you scared and thus you shouldn't have access to guns.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
guns don't kill people, but they allow people to kill people.

I hate to wade into the political topics but I feel this is more societal than political. I own a gun (hunting rifle) so it isn't like I'm anti-gun. If the shooter in the Wal-Mart on Saturday was using my gun then far fewer people are dead and he'd have to reload after three shots.

My uncle owns probably close to 100 handguns and rifles. He collects them and shoots some of them at ranges. No problem with that. He goes through background checks with each purchase.

I also have no issues with background checks. If you have an issue then perhaps there's something in your background to make you scared and thus you shouldn't have access to guns.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
Guns don't kill people this is a mental health issue... but by the way we should take away affordable care and allow for insurance discrimination based on preexisting conditions like mental illnesses. That way they won't get treatment and the problem will fix itself. At least the pro gun control are fighting it on two sides not using an excuse like it's mental health and then not trying to aid the treatment of it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »
this is more societal than political.

Yep.

Guns don't kill people this is a mental health issue... but by the way we should take away affordable care and allow for insurance discrimination based on preexisting conditions like mental illnesses. That way they won't get treatment and the problem will fix itself. At least the pro gun control are fighting it on two sides not using an excuse like it's mental health and then not trying to aid the treatment of it.

Agree with much of this.

Still, it seems that if the gunman is black or Hispanic, the perpetrator often is labeled a "criminal" or an "animal." If the gunman is a Muslim, naturally he is a "terrorist."

The white guy? "Mentally ill," of course.

I have a Muslim friend whose idea of thoughts and prayers after every one of these incidents is, "Allah, please don't let the shooter have been a Muslim."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
No other countries in the world have video games or mental health problems.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
You'll have to kill me to pry away my video games.