[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Womens Soccer Championship.  (Read 63944 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Womens Soccer Championship.
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
All it takes is one careless second in an elimination game.   

Spain more physical through 56 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:15:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
Weak penalty call on Spain.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
Weak penalty call on Spain.

Agree completely.  Really weak
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
What a weird/bad game all round. 

First off, for all the offensive records broken in the group stage, our only 2 shots on target came from the spot.  Our willingness to continue to blast from outside the box when we couldn't even one one on frame was puzzling to say the least. 

You cannot make defensive mistakes like that and win a tournament like the World Cup.  I'm all for playing it out from the back, but that was just baffling. 

Why it took until the 85th minute to make a sub is another questionable decision.  With the attacking options sitting on the bench and us struggling to score, I would have brought either Lloyd or Press in significantly sooner (60th minute or so).

Like far too many games this WC, officiating comes into question.  The second penalty was a tough break, because it's a situation where there is contact, and also a dive.  If it hadn't been called on the field, VAR would not have awarded that penalty IMO (although the ref did miss a penalty against Ertz earlier).  You know Spain was going to be more physical, but the ref lost control.  It should not take 15 fouls before a yellow is issued against a team.  If players know that no punishment is forthcoming, then they'll continue to become more and more aggressive.

Bottom line, we advanced, but will need a better performance against France on Friday.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
What a weird/bad game all round. 

First off, for all the offensive records broken in the group stage, our only 2 shots on target came from the spot.  Our willingness to continue to blast from outside the box when we couldn't even one one on frame was puzzling to say the least. 

You cannot make defensive mistakes like that and win a tournament like the World Cup.  I'm all for playing it out from the back, but that was just baffling. 

Why it took until the 85th minute to make a sub is another questionable decision.  With the attacking options sitting on the bench and us struggling to score, I would have brought either Lloyd or Press in significantly sooner (60th minute or so).

Like far too many games this WC, officiating comes into question.  The second penalty was a tough break, because it's a situation where there is contact, and also a dive.  If it hadn't been called on the field, VAR would not have awarded that penalty IMO (although the ref did miss a penalty against Ertz earlier).  You know Spain was going to be more physical, but the ref lost control.  It should not take 15 fouls before a yellow is issued against a team.  If players know that no punishment is forthcoming, then they'll continue to become more and more aggressive.

Bottom line, we advanced, but will need a better performance against France on Friday.

Hope Solo May be right on the coaching staff acumen.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »

Jill Ellis was ATROCIOUS today.  Vilda outactic'd her from the opening whistle.  Rapinoe slotted home two PKs, fine, but she was horrible with her touches and passing all match.  By 5-10 min into the second half, it was apparent that Spain was in Morgan's head, the rough play would be allowed, and she was thrown off by it and couldn't stop complaining.  Dunn, Mewes, and Lavalle made good runs, but there was a complete lack of offensive and attacking creativity...so Jill Ellis took a nap on the bench and did absolutely nothing.

Bring on Lloyd, bring on Press, bring on Pugh.  Inject some life.  Take off Rapinoe and Morgan who had been really bad.  Move Heath around.  DO SOMETHING.  She was coaching super arrogantly as if "we have the best talent, this will be fine."  And honestly, Naeher has been incredibly shaky.  She has a good back line in front of her, but she is WAY too nervy.  I wouldn't mind seeing Harris out there instead.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:52 PM »
Agreed.  VAR should have made the call on the French in the box.

I'm fine with very limited VAR, checking for penalties and/or cards, if called by the field refs, offsides on a goal and very little else.  Afraid it's going to turn footie into the NFL.

VAR is already far beyond what the NFL has. The NFL has routinely stepped on its own dick overacting to 'bad' outcomes without thought of the broader implications, but VAR has applied a level of precision that was really never intended, and the Cameroon goal that was called back is exhibit A, B, and C.

Best summed up by my favorite GIF

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:08 AM »
Will be in Europa to cheer on Team USA

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2019, 10:05:06 PM »
Not a soccer fan, but I find myself becoming a Rapinoe fan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:56 PM »

No one is shocked in the least

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »

She’s the captain, the point guard out there. The engine of the team. Love her hustle, attitude and grit too. Cool in person too. It’s going to be one hell of a game on Friday.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2019, 05:49:00 AM »

Proud to have her as our captain. She's been my favorite player for a long time now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33:35 AM »
I like the 'Space 1999' hair.   Great player.    Great leader.    Should have been subbed out earlier on Monday.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Can we take the bickering to the other 140 threads where guys do what you do.

Big match - hoping for good showing by the ladies.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:35:29 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
Can we take the bickering to the other 140 threads where guys do what you do.

Big match - hoping for good showing by the ladies.

I agree with this analysis. 

I actually think that it'll end up being a let down, since it has been the most hyped match since before the tournament even started.  France won't try to slow the game down with fouls the way Spain did.  They'll try to out-talent us.  I actually think that both of the Saturday games will be better. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
We all know why you chose yesterday to make this statement about your admiration for her, but you know....politics not allowed.   Turnip trucks in high gear apparently.

Because she's the captain of the USA women's soccer team and they are currently playing in the FIFA World Cup and this thread is all about that?

Megan Rapinoe is a shining example of everything that makes America great. That's why she's deserving to be captain for all of us.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
Because she's the captain of the USA women's soccer team and they are currently playing in the FIFA World Cup and this thread is all about that?

Don’t need to play dumb, dude.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »

Megan Rapinoe is a shining example of everything that makes America great. That's why she's deserving to be captain for all of us.

Im loath to agree with your opponent here, but its blatantly obvious.  I love Rapinoe as a player, but she was absolutely horrid on Monday. And hasn't been good most of the tourney.  So to choose now as a time to call her out as a favorite, especially when off the pitch stuff is flying about, doesn't need a detective to suss out.

But I think she's a fantastic ambassador for Women's soccer, a fearless individual in general, and the way she worked herself back onto the roster over the last few years is very impressive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »

LOL....your truthiness is hurting bigly right now and you know it.  But carry on. Mike knows exactly what he did, when he did it and why he did it.  Play dumb all you wish, not a single person is buying it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »
LOL....your truthiness is hurting bigly right now and you know it.

Not hurting at all. I'm proud she's my captain. And proud she's your captain.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
Im loath to agree with your opponent here, but its blatantly obvious.  I love Rapinoe as a player, but she was absolutely horrid on Monday. And hasn't been good most of the tourney.  So to choose now as a time to call her out as a favorite, especially when off the pitch stuff is flying about, doesn't need a detective to suss out.

But I think she's a fantastic ambassador for Women's soccer, a fearless individual in general, and the way she worked herself back onto the roster over the last few years is very impressive.

Converted both penalties. Only reason USA is still alive in the tournament. Pretty good "horrid" game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »
Converted both penalties. Only reason USA is still alive in the tournament. Pretty good "horrid" game.

If Steph Curry hit 2 technical FTs to break a tie game in the Finals that the Warriors won by 2, but was 1-15 from the field with 8 TOs, would you say he played a good game?

Credit to her for slotting them home, but top penalty takers, which she is, usually average around 75-80% conversion rates. She's supposed to make those kicks.  Sans those two kicks, neither of which she generated or contributed to drawing, she probably rates out to a 5 for the match, which is not good.

Again, love her as a player, she's clearly one of the emotional rocks of the team, but until that second kick, which Morgan almost took until she was clearly too rattled from the rest of the match, she had not been very good at all.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
Whatever, Morgan looked great ALL GAME
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »
LOL....your truthiness is hurting bigly right now and you know it.  But carry on. Mike knows exactly what he did, when he did it and why he did it.  Play dumb all you wish, not a single person is buying it.

Go Rapinoe, a great American soccer player!

And Happy Xmas!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
Go Rapinoe, a great American soccer player!

And Happy Xmas!!!

She is a great American soccer player, no one is arguing that.  Doesn't change why you did what you did and when you did it.  Your favoritest guy got called out by her, so you couldn't help yourself to play your games.  100% truthful and you know it, but don't have the cajones to admit it.  People know what your intent was, but keep playing your games and maybe find where you placed your stones.   

feedback