[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184067 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #750 on: July 11, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
I was riding down the Edens on a nice sunny afternoon, in the right lane, going about 60. The person driving the car in the next lane over just didn't see me (I assume), and decided to change lanes, cutting me off. I had to pull into the shoulder, where there was all kinds of loose gravel. It was pretty amazing that the bike didn't go down; obviously relieved it didn't. I was so shaken up after that, I couldn't really ride with confidence again. About 2 months later, I sold the bike (a sweet BMW) and all my gear. I had 2 little kids and didn't want them to grow up fatherless.

I don't ride anymore either, and it's because (partly) of drivers like this. I was taught to ride with the mindset that I should assume nobody in the other vehicles could see me, so be as defensive as possible. It's crazy how often that assumption was actually true.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #751 on: July 12, 2019, 07:40:16 AM »
In California it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to drive between lanes.
I understand it's "perfectly legal", but that doesn't mean I "get" it.   Driving between lanes going exceedingly fast in relation to everyone else around you seems to be a foolish thing.  As I said, it wouldn't take more than a driver veering either direction by a foot or less to make Tower get out there to clean it up.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #752 on: July 12, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
I don't get people driving the speed limit in the far left lane. 

Same here.  I'd really like to get a dozen of them together and interview them. 

I mean .. Are they oblivious to their surroundings and the rules of the road?  Do they know the anger they are causing?   Are they dumb?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #753 on: July 12, 2019, 08:11:09 AM »
Need a car with a muzzle launcher on the hood to take out these knuckleheads.

I always think "if I just had one of those James Bond cars"...................

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #754 on: July 12, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

I mean .. Are they oblivious to their surroundings and the rules of the road?  Do they know the anger they are causing?   Are they dumb?
Yes

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #755 on: July 12, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
I understand it's "perfectly legal", but that doesn't mean I "get" it.   Driving between lanes going exceedingly fast in relation to everyone else around you seems to be a foolish thing.  As I said, it wouldn't take more than a driver veering either direction by a foot or less to make Tower get out there to clean it up.

And it really pisses me off that I could be held legally responsible and/or have someone's death on my conscience for the rest of my life because they insisted on straddling two lanes at 70 mph.  I'm a great driver with a clean record, but even so - crap is dangerous enough with two ton death machines flying around at 60-80 mph everywhere.  Everyone shouldn't then be expected to be extra preoccupied with guys in sleeveless tanks straddling lanes at 75 mph because they like the rush of riding a small rocket through rush hour traffic.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #756 on: July 12, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
And it really pisses me off that I could be held legally responsible and/or have someone's death on my conscience for the rest of my life because they insisted on straddling two lanes at 70 mph.  I'm a great driver with a clean record, but even so - crap is dangerous enough with two ton death machines flying around at 60-80 mph everywhere.  Everyone shouldn't then be expected to be extra preoccupied with guys in sleeveless tanks straddling lanes at 75 mph because they like the rush of riding a small rocket through rush hour traffic.
Yep.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #757 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #758 on: July 12, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
How anyone could still defend this goon.

https://deadspin.com/grayson-allen-ejected-from-summer-league-game-for-you-1836299774

Yet somehow, they do.  Honestly, when I first started reading this, it was so over-the-top that I thought it was satire.  Incredibly, I don't think it is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:01:15 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #759 on: July 12, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
How anyone could still defend this goon.

https://deadspin.com/grayson-allen-ejected-from-summer-league-game-for-you-1836299774

Yet somehow, they do.  Honestly, when I first started reading this, it was so over-the-top that I thought it was satire.  Incredibly, I don't think it is.

I think Grayson is a steaming pile of dog crap and a dirty player, but honestly watching that video, neither deserved a flagrant.

Both stemmed from illegal screens. The first, I've seen Lebron react that same exact way when someone sets the same type of illegal screen, and they blow the whistle and call a foul on the other guy.

The second one, meh, he was clearly going for the ball and unintentionally hit him in the head. I do think it was unintentional, but he just isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt, because he is known as a steaming pile of dog crap.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #760 on: July 12, 2019, 05:25:37 PM »
I think Grayson is a steaming pile of dog crap and a dirty player, but honestly watching that video, neither deserved a flagrant.

Both stemmed from illegal screens. The first, I've seen Lebron react that same exact way when someone sets the same type of illegal screen, and they blow the whistle and call a foul on the other guy.

The second one, meh, he was clearly going for the ball and unintentionally hit him in the head. I do think it was unintentional, but he just isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt, because he is known as a steaming pile of dog crap.

I've got kids his age.  If either one was a steaming pile of crap like that there would be absolute hell to pay.  I promise you that they don't doubt it.  Punks aren't born, they're enabled.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #761 on: July 12, 2019, 08:03:08 PM »
1. Dakich cracked me up. Was funny when the ref came over to tell him about the first flagrant and Dakich told the ref to throw Allen out of the game.

2. They say basketball is now positionless, but according to Deadspin, Allen has a position: Former Duke sh!thead Grayson Allen

3. I didn't think the first one was a flagrant, frankly. That was a reputation call. (And I'm glad it went against him.)

4. The second one, absolutely. Allen took a wild, full-arm swing at the offensive player and hit the offensive player in the head. That's a flagrant 100% of the time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #762 on: July 12, 2019, 08:36:10 PM »

Maybe, BUT if Allen was such a f#*kin butt head...

I know Lebron James and Grayson Allen is no lebron james ;)

I am very surprised Allen can still take in solids
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #763 on: July 12, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »

Both were clearly flagrant and in no way was he going for the ball on the last one.  It wasn't even close.

Honestly it baffles me that you would even question those calls.  Pretty much everyone outside of poor ole Grayson saw them the exact same way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:41:44 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
1. Dakich cracked me up. Was funny when the ref came over to tell him about the first flagrant and Dakich told the ref to throw Allen out of the game.

2. They say basketball is now positionless, but according to Deadspin, Allen has a position: Former Duke sh!thead Grayson Allen

3. I didn't think the first one was a flagrant, frankly. That was a reputation call. (And I'm glad it went against him.)

4. The second one, absolutely. Allen took a wild, full-arm swing at the offensive player and hit the offensive player in the head. That's a flagrant 100% of the time.

I probably should have qualified my statement regarding the 2nd one. I understand why it was called a flagrant, but if it was any other player I'd say it was incidental and an accident.

That exact same type of foul happens all the time. In my opinion, he was out of position, and tried to aggressively go for the ball. Because of his position, he ended up hitting him in the head instead. Understand its a flagrant, but any other player and I'm saying 100% accidental.

Heck, I take the same hit every couple games in pickup ball, defenders always extremely apologetic. Accidental, it just happens when you are out of position.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I probably should have qualified my statement regarding the 2nd one. I understand why it was called a flagrant, but if it was any other player I'd say it was incidental and an accident.

That exact same type of foul happens all the time. In my opinion, he was out of position, and tried to aggressively go for the ball. Because of his position, he ended up hitting him in the head instead. Understand its a flagrant, but any other player and I'm saying 100% accidental.

Heck, I take the same hit every couple games in pickup ball, defenders always extremely apologetic. Accidental, it just happens when you are out of position.

Many times every college basketball season, that second one is called a flagrant after a review. Wild swing, contact to the head, flagrant. I happen to think it wasn't accidental in this case because Allen was pissed and he's a douchebag. But even if it was accidental, it's a flagrant every time.

Your Y is not organized ball, with replays. Irrelevant. Which of course you know.

Oh, and Allen wasn't apologetic. Douchebags don't apologize.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Many times every college basketball season, that second one is called a flagrant after a review. Wild swing, contact to the head, flagrant. I happen to think it wasn't accidental in this case because Allen was pissed and he's a douchebag. But even if it was accidental, it's a flagrant every time.

Your Y is not organized ball, with replays. Irrelevant. Which of course you know.

Oh, and Allen wasn't apologetic. Douchebags don't apologize.

Agreed on all accounts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #767 on: July 13, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »

This is my father.  He just doesn't get it.  Smart guy, thinks the speed limit is the speed limit.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #768 on: July 13, 2019, 05:49:41 PM »
This is my father.  He just doesn't get it.  Smart guy, thinks the speed limit is the speed limit.

My dad always said speed limit signs were just “suggestions”.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #769 on: July 15, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
I don't get people driving the speed limit in the far left lane.  Then there are 20 cars behind all trying to pass, but skittish about doing so on the right hand side and/or are unable to do so because the people in the middle are doing what they exactly are supposed to be doing - traveling in the travel lane.

came across that last night, which was particularly annoying as the guy seemed to be deliberately stopping me from passing him as he was going the same speed as a truck in the center lane.  Does it really offend you to have another car pass you on an expressway?  Then, after the car in the right lane took an exit lane I was able to pass the truck by using the right lane and then move back to the middle lane and the idiot blocking the left lane sped up to over 85 and blow by me.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #770 on: July 15, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
came across that last night, which was particularly annoying as the guy seemed to be deliberately stopping me from passing him as he was going the same speed as a truck in the center lane.  Does it really offend you to have another car pass you on an expressway?  Then, after the car in the right lane took an exit lane I was able to pass the truck by using the right lane and then move back to the middle lane and the idiot blocking the left lane sped up to over 85 and blow by me.

It annoys the hell out of me when I've got the car on cruise control and catch up to someone; move into the left lane to pass; pass; and then move back into the right lane when I'm well past them, only to have them immediately speed up; pass me; get in front of me; and slow down again.  It makes me say words I shouldn't say in front of the kids.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #771 on: July 15, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »
When that happens with me, I use it as a teaching moment for the 12 year old.   Highlight the stupidity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #772 on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
George Carlin.

I get that he stood up for free speech and all, but the guy was just not funny.  Not even a little.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #773 on: September 14, 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
George Carlin.

I get that he stood up for free speech and all, but the guy was just not funny.  Not even a little.

Wrong.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #774 on: September 14, 2019, 10:53:08 PM »
George Carlin.

Really? Hall of Famer IMHO.