collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184099 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #725 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
In California, everything in the world can cause cancer but please race your crotch rocket between 2 trucks at 80 mph.

That's California in a nut shell.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #726 on: July 11, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
When you think about it, it's kind of crazy that seat belts are mandatory for drivers and passengers in 4000-pound SUVs that are loaded with every airbag and safety device known to man ... but there are just about no requirements for a motorcycle rider's safety.

Many states don't have helmet laws, seat belts obviously can't be used, and, as has been pointed out, Cali allows bikes to ride between lanes of traffic.

FWIW, I am a former rider myself. Always wore a helmet and never drove between lanes but still had a couple of close calls. Close enough that I decided to become an ex-biker.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #727 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
Is this the kind of stuff you text when you are chatting up a girl on Tinder?  No wonder you're single.  ::)

No, I’d need a girl to swipe right on me in order to talk with her. If that ever happens, then yes I will
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #728 on: July 11, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
I don't get motorcyclists who use the center lines in traffic to pass cars.  The first time I saw it happen was on a California freeway and it freaked me out.  A week ago in heavy traffic, a motorcycle came screaming by me, in between me and another car on my left.  All it would have taken would be me to veer a foot to the left or the guy to my left to veer a foot or so to his right and the biker would have been roadkill.

And yet Captain Kirk woulda been coming after your ass, aina? Motorcyclists can somehow rev and backfire up and down quiet streets and streets with lots of restaurants and pedestrian traffic, weave in and out of traffic, and ride around with no helmet, and yet from all the plaintiff's firm commercials, you'd think they're right up there with folks unwittingly exposed to asbestos as a maligned group.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
When you think about it, it's kind of crazy that seat belts are mandatory for drivers and passengers in 4000-pound SUVs that are loaded with every airbag and safety device known to man ... but there are just about no requirements for a motorcycle rider's safety.

Many states don't have helmet laws, seat belts obviously can't be used, and, as has been pointed out, Cali allows bikes to ride between lanes of traffic.

FWIW, I am a former rider myself. Always wore a helmet and never drove between lanes but still had a couple of close calls. Close enough that I decided to become an ex-biker.

I, too, rode as a young man.  It was stunning how often motorists simply didn't see you.  In fact, for whatever reason I have maintained my license.  I'm pretty sure I won't own one again.  We get almost the same experience out of our little convertible so that's probably my 'countryside ride of choice' from here on out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
You don't get people who clean up after their dogs? What don't you get? We're being good citizens.

It's like saying you don't get people who flush after taking a dump in the toilet of a public rest room.

So, you don’t get Buzz Williams?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #731 on: July 11, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
I think he meant he doesn't get people who are willing to pick up after dogs.

I love dogs.  A lot.  But I play with everyone else's dog so that I don't have to actually take care of one.
The positives of dog ownership significantly outweigh the negatives.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #732 on: July 11, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:02:01 PM by CreightonWarrior »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
And yet Captain Kirk woulda been coming after your ass, aina? Motorcyclists can somehow rev and backfire up and down quiet streets and streets with lots of restaurants and pedestrian traffic, weave in and out of traffic, and ride around with no helmet, and yet from all the plaintiff's firm commercials, you'd think they're right up there with folks unwittingly exposed to asbestos as a maligned group.

Yup, all of us motorcyclists behave exactly like that!
I've been riding cycles since 1980 and have close to 300K experience on a bike but I have been hit twice by oncoming blind cagers that each turned left across my lane because they apparently didn't see me.

Yes I wear a helmet and a ballistic mesh jacket, on long rides I wear kevlar lined jeans, my Harley has stock pipes (I can't stand loud pipes either). I doubt I'd have the balls to lane-split if I ever rode in CA. Our HOG chapter just rode in the Tosa & Greenfield 4th of July parades, channel 6 interviewed the Marine we had leading the Tosa parade.
The EPA has been pressuring H-D about loud pipes, dealers have stopped selling them and some will void the warranty if its been re-tuned and is then exceeding the emission laws.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:45:56 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »

Sadly, lately I've been finding myself questioning this^^ statement, which I have generally regarded as an undeniable truth for most of my life.  My wife and I have had dogs pretty much our entire married life.  Currently we have two.  While I really love our dogs, I cannot wait to be dog-free.  I know that sounds awful, but it's true.  I'm very happy that our kids grew up with dogs -- I think that is fantastic.  But for the last couple years, the negatives have outweighed the positives.  Our older dog is getting very close to the end.  On a regular basis, we find ourselves confronting that very difficult "is it time" question.  We were discussing it again just this morning.  So far, we're thinking "no."  But, it's getting close and we're revisiting it often.  As awful as it is to say, we both just kind of hope he goes comfortably in his sleep.  The younger one is still going to be with us for a few years, I think.  There will be no more dogs in our house after he goes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
Sadly, lately I've been finding myself questioning this^^ statement, which I have generally regarded as an undeniable truth for most of my life.  My wife and I have had dogs pretty much our entire married life.  Currently we have two.  While I really love our dogs, I cannot wait to be dog-free.  I know that sounds awful, but it's true.  I'm very happy that our kids grew up with dogs -- I think that is fantastic.  But for the last couple years, the negatives have outweighed the positives.  Our older dog is getting very close to the end.  On a regular basis, we find ourselves confronting that very difficult "is it time" question.  We were discussing it again just this morning.  So far, we're thinking "no."  But, it's getting close and we're revisiting it often.  As awful as it is to say, we both just kind of hope he goes comfortably in his sleep.  The younger one is still going to be with us for a few years, I think.  There will be no more dogs in our house after he goes.
Sorry to hear that man. Ours just turned 6 months old and is really starting to hit her stride.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »

ZFB told me the same thing. When asked to explain, he got excited and kept saying, “peanut butter trick! Peanut butter trick!!”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2019, 03:40:43 PM »

Not if you travel as much as we do and have no one to look after the dog when you are gone.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2019, 04:00:38 PM »
I don't get people driving the speed limit in the far left lane.  Then there are 20 cars behind all trying to pass, but skittish about doing so on the right hand side and/or are unable to do so because the people in the middle are doing what they exactly are supposed to be doing - traveling in the travel lane.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
I don't get people driving the speed limit in the far left lane.  Then there are 20 cars behind all trying to pass, but skittish about doing so on the right hand side and/or are unable to do so because the people in the middle are doing what they exactly are supposed to be doing - traveling in the travel lane.
Especially annoying on the Merritt Parkway.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »
Cleaned up too many gory motorcycle accidents to ever get on one.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
ZFB told me the same thing. When asked to explain, he got excited and kept saying, “peanut butter trick! Peanut butter trick!!”

BAAAAaaaaaaa...goat.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
Especially annoying on the Merritt Parkway.

Which occurs every time you are on the Merritt.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #743 on: July 11, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »
Motorcycle owners are called organ donors by ER nurses.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #744 on: July 11, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »

Need a car with a missile  launcher on the hood to take out these knuckleheads.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:02:08 AM by real chili 83 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #745 on: July 11, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
I've been riding cycles since 1980 and have close to 300K experience on a bike but I have been hit twice by oncoming blind cagers that each turned left across my lane because they apparently didn't see me.

I really, really try to keep a good eye out for motorcycles.  As soon as I spot one in traffic, I make extra effort to always know where he is because it is easy to lose them in a blind spot.  That said, whenever I see the "look twice" bumper stickers, it makes me want to go out and get a "don't ride like an idiot" bumper sticker.  I'll do my part and keep a look out for you.  Some of these idiots -- not saying you, Waldo -- need to do their part and not drive 30 mph faster than everyone else weaving in and out of traffic, popping wheelies, etc.  And yes, I'm very aware that many drivers are oblivious to motor cycles...and other cars...and traffic lights...and...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #746 on: July 11, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »

they have these doggie ice cream cups too.  our dog sits by the freezer waiting for us to open it, but yeah, peanut butter probably works better ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #747 on: July 11, 2019, 07:22:48 PM »
they have these doggie ice cream cups too.  our dog sits by the freezer waiting for us to open it, but yeah, peanut butter probably works better ;)

Plus ice cream presents a shrinkage issue....or so I've been told
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #748 on: July 11, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
I was riding down the Edens on a nice sunny afternoon, in the right lane, going about 60. The person driving the car in the next lane over just didn't see me (I assume), and decided to change lanes, cutting me off. I had to pull into the shoulder, where there was all kinds of loose gravel. It was pretty amazing that the bike didn't go down; obviously relieved it didn't. I was so shaken up after that, I couldn't really ride with confidence again. About 2 months later, I sold the bike (a sweet BMW) and all my gear. I had 2 little kids and didn't want them to grow up fatherless.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #749 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »
Thank God ya didant go down Nads, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback