collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186585 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #675 on: July 08, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
I suggest 10 Cloverfield Lane with John Goodman. Not really horror like Cloverfield was, really a very good suspense flick that seems plausible (until the end scene).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #676 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
That's the funny thing, I LOVE Stranger Things but none of it is horror to me. I get that it's gory and I'm only through Episode 5 of Season 3 but I don't "put myself" in that show like I do horror/slasher films.

Take the Annabelle horror franchise or whatever, just the trailers creep my out and I hate it.....ain't no way you are gonna get me to watch any of those movies.

I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon.....f'ing hated both of them (not because they were bad, they of course weren't) because I was creeped out for days. Do not get why people want to feel that way.

I definitely don't like slasher films like Chucky, Friday 13th, Halloween, etc. But I loved Get Out, Silence of the Lambs, The Blob, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #677 on: July 08, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
There is something specific to horror movies that I just don't get.....why does anyone want to scare themselves? I've never watched Get Out or Us.....the way people talk about it, sounds like great films but I have ZERO interest in scary movies. Some people love scary movies and I just don't get it.

I love movies that make you feel like that. I guess I'm not sure why, its just feels like it taps into a very basic, fight or flight response or something? I'm not exactly sure tbh.

For fans of horror - not just gore movies - I'd recommend The Witch. Everyone either loves or hates that movie, and I'm very firmly in the loves camp. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #678 on: July 08, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
I don't get horror movies and why people like them. I saw Saw in the theaters and didn't sleep for like 10 days. It's not a gore thing, I can watch war movies, etc all day long. There is something specific to horror movies that I just don't get.....why does anyone want to scare themselves? I've never watched Get Out or Us.....the way people talk about it, sounds like great films but I have ZERO interest in scary movies. Some people love scary movies and I just don't get it.

I was on a flight yesterday and one of the movie options was Us.  It's a movie I have wanted to watch, but something about watching a scary movie on a plane didn't feel right to me.  I didn't want to look like wimp to my fellow passengers if it got really scary.  I ended up watching Aquaman.  I chose badly (although still not sure about watching a scary movie on a plane).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #679 on: July 08, 2019, 06:32:10 PM »
I was on a flight yesterday and one of the movie options was Us.  It's a movie I have wanted to watch, but something about watching a scary movie on a plane didn't feel right to me.  I didn't want to look like wimp to my fellow passengers if it got really scary.  I ended up watching Aquaman.  I chose badly (although still not sure about watching a scary movie on a plane).

One of the dumbest things I ever did was read Jaws while vacationing in Miami when I was a teenager. I loved the movie and I really wanted to read the book (which was outstanding, for those who haven't read it). But every time I went into the water, every effen shadow I saw made me think I had "company."

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #680 on: July 08, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »

Interesting coincidence. I was on a flight last Wednesday. I was working but both they guy next to me and the guy in front of me and one seat to the left decided out of all the movies to watch Us. The guy next to me kept laughing, don't know if it was nervous laughter or genuine laughter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #681 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »
I once watched Flight on a flight.....got some weird looks but I was like whatever I want to see it and I got 3 hours to kill
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #682 on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
I once watched Flight on a flight.....got some weird looks but I was like whatever I want to see it and I got 3 hours to kill
I watched "Almost Famous" for the first time on an airplane.  They cut out the entire scene when they were on the plane near the end.  Without that scene, the end of the movie didn't make a lot of sense.  I always wondered why they bothered to show it if they were going to cut that scene out.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #683 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
I watched "Almost Famous" for the first time on an airplane.  They cut out the entire scene when they were on the plane near the end.  Without that scene, the end of the movie didn't make a lot of sense.  I always wondered why they bothered to show it if they were going to cut that scene out.

Remember the scene in "Rain Man" where Raymond freaks out at the airport and starts spouting plane crash statistics and wanted to fly on Qantas because "Qantas never crashes"?

Every airline cut out that scene, except for Qantas.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #684 on: July 09, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

I watched Step Brothers for the first time flying to Amsterdam. It was my second movie of the night (after Role Models) and I woke everyone up around me laughing so hard.  On the flight back I watched Revolutionary Road and that just depressed me. Comedy every time.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #685 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:22 PM »
Game Night was a highly enjoyable airplane movie.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #686 on: July 09, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
Game Night was a highly enjoyable airplane movie.

I think that's where I watched also.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #687 on: July 09, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »
I only have one watching a movie on a plane story. I went to the Maui Invitational not this most recent time but the time before that. On the flight there I was seated next a woman about my age and we hit it off. I'm usually not the talking to strangers on a plane type of person but she initiated and was very easy to talk to. We chat for the first hour or so, split a few overpriced plane cocktails and exchange phone numbers thinking we could hang out on the island.

We then decide to watch our own movies. I don't remember what she put on but it looked high brow and sophisticated. Like others here, I usually go for comedies on flights. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was trying to impress the woman next to me and decided to put on Ted because I had been wanting to see it. I was about halfway through the movie when I realized that she was looking over at my screen every few seconds and kind of had this look of disgust with a touch of horror.

At the end of the flight, I said I'd text her, she said she was looking forward to it. I texted her, she never texted back. Fing Seth McFarlane.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #688 on: July 09, 2019, 11:19:20 PM »
I only have one watching a movie on a plane story. I went to the Maui Invitational not this most recent time but the time before that. On the flight there I was seated next a woman about my age and we hit it off. I'm usually not the talking to strangers on a plane type of person but she initiated and was very easy to talk to. We chat for the first hour or so, split a few overpriced plane cocktails and exchange phone numbers thinking we could hang out on the island.

We then decide to watch our own movies. I don't remember what she put on but it looked high brow and sophisticated. Like others here, I usually go for comedies on flights. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was trying to impress the woman next to me and decided to put on Ted because I had been wanting to see it. I was about halfway through the movie when I realized that she was looking over at my screen every few seconds and kind of had this look of disgust with a touch of horror.

At the end of the flight, I said I'd text her, she said she was looking forward to it. I texted her, she never texted back. Fing Seth McFarlane.

If she can't appreciate the low key genius of Seth McFarlane she would have been a disaster to date anyway

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #689 on: July 10, 2019, 03:56:00 AM »

Probably pissed y'all didn't join the mile high club, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #690 on: July 10, 2019, 06:50:37 AM »

Probably pissed y'all didn't join the mile high club, aina?

does this count if you're flying oh solo mio?  ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #691 on: July 10, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
If she can't appreciate the low key genius of Seth McFarlane she would have been a disaster to date anyway

My thoughts exactly.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #692 on: July 10, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
My thoughts exactly.

Eh, there is a lot of "hot or miss" in Seth McFarlane's humor.  I can see why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #693 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:58 AM »
Eh, there is a lot of "hot or miss" in Seth McFarlane's humor.  I can see why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Take away Family Guy and American Dad, and there's not much miss.

Although, if you've ever been written a script for Ritalin, Family Guy is 100% hit.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #694 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:14 AM »
I don't own: A dog.
I don't get: People who clean up after dogs.
I don't like: People who don't clean up after their dogs.

I don't get the people I like, and I don't like the people I get.  But evidently, fecalpheliacs make the best dog owners.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #695 on: July 10, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

You're not wrong, but you got to keep in mind that we were on a plane. To appreciate the low key genius, you need to hear the dialogue. Without sound Ted is just an overweight teddy bear having sex with a grocery clerk in the back of a grocery store.
TAMU

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #696 on: July 10, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
I don't "get" the love for that guy. I thought Seth McFarlane was hilarious for a couple weeks when I was maybe 13. I don't think he's funny at all anymore; he just comes off so smug to me.

I get it, you watched a lot of tv in the 80s. Not my cup of tea
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #697 on: July 10, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
I don't "get" the love for that guy. I thought Seth McFarlane was hilarious for a couple weeks when I was maybe 13. I don't think he's funny at all anymore; he just comes off so smug to me.

I get it, you watched a lot of tv in the 80s. Not my cup of tea

Agreed, except never liked him. Would rather listen to a 72 yo man strain to take a dump than SM’s schtick
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #698 on: July 10, 2019, 05:20:05 PM »

I don't get: People who clean up after dogs.

You don't get people who clean up after their dogs? What don't you get? We're being good citizens.

It's like saying you don't get people who flush after taking a dump in the toilet of a public rest room.

Benny, Benny, Benny.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #699 on: July 10, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »
You don't get people who clean up after their dogs? What don't you get? We're being good citizens.

It's like saying you don't get people who flush after taking a dump in the toilet of a public rest room.

Benny, Benny, Benny.

I think he meant he doesn't get people who are willing to pick up after dogs.

I love dogs.  A lot.  But I play with everyone else's dog so that I don't have to actually take care of one.
Have some patience, FFS.