[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186825 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #650 on: July 02, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »
They dive less than their male counterparts.    The World Cup is just great competition.   Finally, Americans are softies for winners.  The USWNT are among the best in the world.   The men are not.   So.....during the Women's World Cup, interest spikes.

To expand.... Curling is not on anybody's radar except for two weeks every 4 years.   And there aren't a million young girls participating in youth curling in America.  With their snowplow parents.   A built in fanbase for women's soccer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:44:29 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #651 on: July 02, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
I don't get the love for women's soccer.  I mean, soccer in general is something that most Americans don't care about.  And women's sports is something that most American's don't care about.  So one would think the overlap would be really small, yet, it seems to multiply the fandoms of women's sports and soccer.  I find it very weird.

Personally, I watched the '99 cup and it was entertaining, but at the time very rarely watched soccer (so olympics effect).  Fast forward to today, I watch more world cup/international soccer, but can now appreciate that the woman's game is quite good/entertaining.  I will likely take in more US Woman's international games and would consider going to a match before the next World Cup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #652 on: July 02, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »
Finally, Americans are softies for winners.  The USWNT are among the best in the world.   The men are not.   So.....during the Women's World Cup, interest spikes.

This.

Hardly anybody gave a rat's rump about the America's Cup sailing thing until "we" didn't have it any more and then "we" got it back. Then it became a thing for awhile. Now, nobody cares again.

Soccer, in general, is only moderately more popular than it was before the USWNT did anything. But when they are in the World Cup, and winning it, popularity spikes.

Same when there is a horse going for the Triple Crown. Otherwise, saying there is apathy toward horse racing in the U.S. is an insult to the word "apathy."

If the men's soccer team ever wins a World Cup, they will get plenty of plaudits, at least as many as the women's team gets now, IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #653 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
I don't get the love for women's soccer.  I mean, soccer in general is something that most Americans don't care about.  And women's sports is something that most American's don't care about.  So one would think the overlap would be really small, yet, it seems to multiply the fandoms of women's sports and soccer.  I find it very weird.

I enjoy watching Women's soccer more than Men's. Reasons have largely been discussed.

1. They are really damn good.
2. Men dive to much.
3. Possibly related to 2, but I find the recent men's teams generally unlikeable. The women's team is very easy to like and root for.
4. Related to 3. Brandi Chastain. Iconic individual. Hero. Role model. Got people hooked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:32:30 PM by forgetful »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #654 on: July 02, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
Gotta do it before doc gets here-

“Men dive to much.”

And that’s NOT what she said ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #655 on: July 03, 2019, 01:04:10 AM »
Technically there are events that go through the next weekend but most were checked out by then.

If I had to go to Creighton, I’d probably check out within a week, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
If I had to go to Creighton, I’d probably check out within a week, too.
Haha fair. However, Creighton was much more generous with grants and aid.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
Haha fair. However, Creighton was much more generous with grants and aid.

kind of wish I'd looked more closely at Creighton for grad school.  I dismissed it almost immediately because it was in Nebraska. A friend is a former prof there and has nothing but great things to say about his time at CU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #658 on: July 03, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
Omaha really isn't that different from Milwaukee. It is a cool town. They don't have any major league sports teams but the College World Series is a pretty awesome sports event they host every year. I don't regret going to MU but Creighton was on the short list, along with SLU and Loyola Chicago.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #659 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:17 PM »
Omaha really isn't that different from Milwaukee. It is a cool town. They don't have any major league sports teams but the College World Series is a pretty awesome sports event they host every year. I don't regret going to MU but Creighton was on the short list, along with SLU and Loyola Chicago.

Yo... what???

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »
Humidity can suck, I miss the lake effect, but it’s changed significantly in the 13 years I’ve lived here since I moved here for school.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
People hoo give a chit how many states dave bin inn, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
Peeps hoo spelz rong for onlyne schtick, aina?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #663 on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
Fake eyelashes. I know they’ve been around forever, but when did they become a thing?  And, why?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »
Gymnastics. What is that sh1t?!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
Gymnastics. What is that sh1t?!

Thought the young competitors would be right up your alley, aina.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
Thought the young competitors would be right up your alley, aina.

More likely the muscular young men, aina?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »
I don't get horror movies and why people like them. I saw Saw in the theaters and didn't sleep for like 10 days. It's not a gore thing, I can watch war movies, etc all day long. There is something specific to horror movies that I just don't get.....why does anyone want to scare themselves? I've never watched Get Out or Us.....the way people talk about it, sounds like great films but I have ZERO interest in scary movies. Some people love scary movies and I just don't get it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #669 on: July 08, 2019, 12:45:48 PM »
I don't get horror movies and why people like them. I saw Saw in the theaters and didn't sleep for like 10 days. It's not a gore thing, I can watch war movies, etc all day long. There is something specific to horror movies that I just don't get.....why does anyone want to scare themselves? I've never watched Get Out or Us.....the way people talk about it, sounds like great films but I have ZERO interest in scary movies. Some people love scary movies and I just don't get it.

+1 though i suppose for some it's the same thrill as roller coasters, skydiving and other adrenaline junkie things that I love. Different strokes for different folks
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »

You should watch Get Out. It is not a horror movie in the Saw genre. May actually be more of a political movie than horror - making fun of fake do-gooder libs.

OTOH, there are really very few good horror movies. Saw, Scream, and Halloween aren't horror movies to me - just slasher films. There has to be a psychological aspect to the movie for it to be true horror.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #671 on: July 08, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
You should watch Get Out. It is not a horror movie in the Saw genre. May actually be more of a political movie than horror - making fun of fake do-gooder libs.

OTOH, there are really very few good horror movies. Saw, Scream, and Halloween aren't horror movies to me - just slasher films. There has to be a psychological aspect to the movie for it to be true horror.

Agree 100%.  I am not much of a slasher movie fan, but I love a good horror thriller.  And I have always love the monster movie genre.  And I especially love the bad horror movies.  They are the best.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #672 on: July 08, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »

Just finished watching Stranger Things season 3. They used lots of elements from classic horror movies during the season, including The Blob, slasher flicks, etc. It was interesting to pick them out ... when I wasn't covering my face to hide from the gory violence.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #673 on: July 08, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
Just finished watching Stranger Things season 3. They used lots of elements from classic horror movies during the season, including The Blob, slasher flicks, etc. It was interesting to pick them out ... when I wasn't covering my face to hide from the gory violence.

That's the funny thing, I LOVE Stranger Things but none of it is horror to me. I get that it's gory and I'm only through Episode 5 of Season 3 but I don't "put myself" in that show like I do horror/slasher films.

Take the Annabelle horror franchise or whatever, just the trailers creep my out and I hate it.....ain't no way you are gonna get me to watch any of those movies.

I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon.....f'ing hated both of them (not because they were bad, they of course weren't) because I was creeped out for days. Do not get why people want to feel that way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #674 on: July 08, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
That's the funny thing, I LOVE Stranger Things but none of it is horror to me. I get that it's gory and I'm only through Episode 5 of Season 3 but I don't "put myself" in that show like I do horror/slasher films.

Take the Annabelle horror franchise or whatever, just the trailers creep my out and I hate it.....ain't no way you are gonna get me to watch any of those movies.

I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon.....f'ing hated both of them (not because they were bad, they of course weren't) because I was creeped out for days. Do not get why people want to feel that way.

The Annabelle series and all the other related scary ghost stuff is based on the real life stories of the now (as of 2 weeks ago) deceased local (to me) Warren Family.   Around Halloween they would always give presentations in the area on stories from past investigations that I heard were extremely creepy just seeing photos, objects and hearing the story behind it.