[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186635 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
Do you all conduct body checks on your adult kids or just take them at their word. I mean I 100% plan on getting a tattoo... my mum will not be told so how do you know you aren't on the receiving end of that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
When my son was 13, he tried to "get" me by asking: "What would you say if I got my ear pierced?"

I smiled and said, "Go for it. Pierce both of them. And your nose. And your scrotum, for all I care."

He's 31 now. Still no piercings.

Nads double-checks weekly.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
Do you all conduct body checks on your adult kids or just take them at their word. I mean I 100% plan on getting a tattoo... my mum will not be told so how do you know you aren't on the receiving end of that?

I just let mine notice it on their own. During breakfast one day when they were visiting it peeked out from my shirt sleeve. “Wait a minute, what is that?” I actually thought they’d be upset but they understood the meaning it had to me so the next question was “do you have any more?”
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #628 on: June 27, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
Some tattoos and piercings are functional. ZFB often brags about his several well-placed bullseye tatts. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2019, 10:26:43 PM »
I always told my kids that the day any of them got a tattoo or a piercing in a place other than an ear, it was time to move out of the house.  My two sons and a daughter made it through without having to move out....

And ear gauges.  I don't get it.

I read this, and I 100% thought you where chicos before I read the name.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #630 on: June 28, 2019, 04:00:14 AM »
Pretty sure BeeJay and F*ckin' dig tramp stamps, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #631 on: June 28, 2019, 05:08:00 AM »
Some tattoos and piercings are functional. ZFB often brags about his several well-placed bullseye tatts. 

Yep, just like multiple gecko tattoos indicates desert trash, not Great Plains trash.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:19 PM »
No tats or piercings on this physical specimen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
Favorite tramp stamp of all time .

"Thick and Juicy"

Apt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #634 on: June 30, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
Colleges that have a mandatory one-day orientation-ish event in the middle of the summer. Sure, we’re having a good time, but what a pain in the ass.

Does Marquette do this?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #635 on: July 01, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »
Colleges that have a mandatory one-day orientation-ish event in the middle of the summer. Sure, we’re having a good time, but what a pain in the ass.

Does Marquette do this?

Marquette's is just before school starts. 
Xavier's is just before school starts.

I think large schools do it to break up the number of students going to orientation at once and maybe are limited on student group leaders.  Other than that it makes no sense.

College of Charleston was rational.  They had an orientation in the middle of summer unless you lived more than 75 miles away then you would come just before school started.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #636 on: July 01, 2019, 05:41:09 AM »
Xavier's is just before school starts.

I think large schools do it to break up the number of students going to orientation at once and maybe are limited on student group leaders.  Other than that it makes no sense.

College of Charleston was rational.  They had an orientation in the middle of summer unless you lived more than 75 miles away then you would come just before school started.

Purdue also has an extended orientation right before school starts. It’s optional, but I loved orientation so I wouldn’t let her miss it. The one today - which is billed as mandatory unless you claim hardship - is for advising, course selection/registration, financial and other info. We’ll see how useful it is.

My daughter is thrilled to be on campus again, so there’s that...I guess.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2019, 06:00:54 AM »
Does Marquette still do the Preview days? They had a few of those throughout the summer and served as sort of a pre-orientation.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #638 on: July 01, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »

Actually Marquette started having sessions throughout the summer a number of years ago.

One of the sessions is right before school starts, but you can't attend that one unless you are coming from a long distance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:58:25 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #639 on: July 01, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Marquette's program now looks more like other schools.  The initial orientation is a two day required event called SPARK where things like academic advising and registration take place.  Beginning the first weekend in June, the university has 4-5 sessions scattered throughout the summer and students/parents attend one at their convenience. (There is one final SPARK session the couple days before orientation for those folks traveling from great distance who choose not to make two summer trips.)  Orientation itself now begins on Thursday the week prior to school (used to be Wednesday but some of those functions have shifted to SPARK.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:01:05 AM by jsglow »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #640 on: July 01, 2019, 07:09:41 AM »

Does Marquette do this?

Schools do this early in the summer because it gives them a more firm picture of their fall enrollment, financial position and what class sections they may need to add or delete.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:13:03 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #641 on: July 01, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »

Schools do this early in the summer because it gives them a more firm picture of their fall enrollment, financial position and what class sections they may need to add or delete.

There's truth in that.  They've also learned that it has improved Frosh retention rates which is better for all involved.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
Purdue also has an extended orientation right before school starts. It’s optional, but I loved orientation so I wouldn’t let her miss it. The one today - which is billed as mandatory unless you claim hardship - is for advising, course selection/registration, financial and other info. We’ll see how useful it is.

My daughter is thrilled to be on campus again, so there’s that...I guess.

This is to break up the visits, so everyone can get adequate advising before registration. The reason it is important, is many classes have a limited number of seats, particularly if there are preferred instructors. Getting there early guarantees you a seat in the classes/sections you want.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
Creighton has an optional summer preview, multiple sessions you can choose from and then a required welcome week at move-in Saturday that goes through the start of classes the next Wednesday

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
Creighton has an optional summer preview, multiple sessions you can choose from and then a required welcome week at move-in Saturday that goes through the start of classes the next Wednesday

Do the folks at Creighton realize that Saturday-Wednesday is not a week?
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #645 on: July 01, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »
I'm still buds with my Preview roommate from 1996.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #646 on: July 01, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »

I know two married couples that met at Freshman Orientation (1980) and Preview (2010), respectively. 
Have some patience, FFS.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #647 on: July 01, 2019, 03:13:51 PM »
Do the folks at Creighton realize that Saturday-Wednesday is not a week?
Technically there are events that go through the next weekend but most were checked out by then.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #648 on: July 01, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

what I remember about my Preview roommate is me being woken up by the RA in the middle of the night to be informed "you're roommate is in bad shape and really sick in the bathroom, you better keep an eye on him." Welcome to college, Billy! Our families had coffee in the Brew Bayou the next morning and he was in rough shape!

He owns a brewery now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:50:51 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #649 on: July 02, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
I don't get the love for women's soccer.  I mean, soccer in general is something that most Americans don't care about.  And women's sports is something that most American's don't care about.  So one would think the overlap would be really small, yet, it seems to multiply the fandoms of women's sports and soccer.  I find it very weird.

feedback