[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186378 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #775 on: September 14, 2019, 11:20:33 PM »
George Carlin.

I get that he stood up for free speech and all, but the guy was just not funny.  Not even a little.

WTF?

One of the all time greats
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #776 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:55 AM »
George Carlin.

I get that he stood up for free speech and all, but the guy was just not funny.  Not even a little.

Andrew Dice Clay was not funny. Carlin was a comedic genius.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #777 on: September 15, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »
Andrew Dice Clay was not funny. Carlin was a comedic genius.

Gilbert Gottfried has made a living as a duck. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #778 on: September 15, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
George Carlin.

Are you effing kidding me.

The man was an absolute genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #779 on: September 15, 2019, 02:37:15 PM »

I'm not much of a Gilbert Gottfried fan, but I laughed hysterically while watching his take on the big joke in The Arisocrats.

And Carlin ... an American treasure. Until Eldon, I literally had never heard a single person say they didn't think he was funny. I'm sure there are more folks like Eldon out there, but I don't know 'em. He (Carlin, not Eldon) would be having a heyday now, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #780 on: September 15, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »
I'm not much of a Gilbert Gottfried fan, but I laughed hysterically while watching his take on the big joke in The Arisocrats.

And Carlin ... an American treasure. Until Eldon, I literally had never heard a single person say they didn't think he was funny. I'm sure there are more folks like Eldon out there, but I don't know 'em. He (Carlin, not Eldon) would be having a heyday now, that's for sure.

Carlin always had a heydey, that was the point.  He called BS on the entire elitist ruling class and it was gorgeous every time he did it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #781 on: September 15, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »
George Carlin.

I am curious who are your favorite comedians, ie IYO some guys who are funny?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #782 on: September 15, 2019, 07:24:48 PM »

He got fired from that gig a number of years ago.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #783 on: September 15, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »
funny, the 7 words ya can't say on tv got him thrown out/arrested of summerfest(not televised) back in the 70's...

sh!t   p!$$   F**k    c**t    co**sucker    motherf***  and t!ts?    wow, some of those are regular banter on the cartoon network and snl today

the guy talked about things most others were afraid to talk.  he was an independent thinker who questioned things others just accepted.  a little bit like lenny bruce
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:27:44 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #784 on: September 15, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

-George Carlin

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #785 on: September 16, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »

I believe it the Hugh Hefner roast (few months after 9/11) where he heckled and booed for his "my plane had a connection at the Empire State Building" joke, so he launched into his Aristocrats joke... not sure if it was the same as the documentary or a new variant, but some lauded it as one of the best of all time; unfortunately, the whole thing was cut from the roast and has never been seen.

On that note, for those who "get" celebrity roasts, check out Jeff Ross's Historical Roasts on Netflix... Gottfried had a couple hilarious moments on the Anne Frank episode.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #786 on: September 16, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
I believe it the Hugh Hefner roast (few months after 9/11) where he heckled and booed for his "my plane had a connection at the Empire State Building" joke, so he launched into his Aristocrats joke... not sure if it was the same as the documentary or a new variant, but some lauded it as one of the best of all time; unfortunately, the whole thing was cut from the roast and has never been seen.

On that note, for those who "get" celebrity roasts, check out Jeff Ross's Historical Roasts on Netflix... Gottfried had a couple hilarious moments on the Anne Frank episode.

I have seen Gottfried on a couple of those roasts and agree he was hilarious. I find myself being almost surprised that I'm laughing because, again, I haven't loved his body of work.

Anybody who doesn't laugh at his take in The Aristocrats needs to go to the hospital, stat, and get a new sense of humor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
Jim Jeffries. Don't hate.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #788 on: September 16, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
He got fired from that gig a number of years ago.

Duck, parrot, whatever,  they all look the and sound the same.  The dude has the bird voice over market to himself.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #789 on: September 16, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

-George Carlin

My favorite:  "Somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor. The scariest part is that someone has an appointment with him tomorrow."

I discovered Carlin in 9th grade when a friend gave me the cassette "What the Hell Am I Doing in New Jersey?" Funniest stuff I'd ever heard!  But, my parents being very strict and straight-laced, would kill me for listening to something so "vulgar." A while later my dad and I are going to an even to an event on a Saturday evening and I ask if we'll be home by 10.  He asks why and I tell him there's a comedian on HBO I want to see, hoping to put that to rest. "Who is it?" "George Carlin." He responds "I love George Carlin" and brings me some George Carlin records he had from college. My mom, dad and I watched the special together.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
Jim Jeffries. Don't hate.

He swings back and forth.  He can be very funny and insightful, and he can be obnoxiously over the top for a reaction.  His comedic take on gun control is unnatural carnal knowledgeing hilarious and brilliant.  His early stuff, unsurprisingly, is better.  He got famous and found the need to live up to his over the top persona, and its hurt his comedy, IMO.

Legit was a fantastic show.  Based around some of his early material.  Its really funny and surprisingly poignant in a lot of parts.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »
funny, the 7 words ya can't say on tv got him thrown out/arrested of summerfest(not televised) back in the 70's...

sh!t   p!$$   F**k    c**t    co**sucker    motherf***  and t!ts?    wow, some of those are regular banter on the cartoon network and snl today

the guy talked about things most others were afraid to talk.  he was an independent thinker who questioned things others just accepted.  a little bit like lenny bruce

And after he lists the "7 words" he says "I can understand why you can't say co**sucker and motherf***er - there's a lot going on there. But tits? What's the big deal? Sound like it should be a tasty snack - new and delicious from Nabisco - "Corn Tits" - what could be wrong with that?"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2019, 05:19:56 PM »
He swings back and forth.  He can be very funny and insightful, and he can be obnoxiously over the top for a reaction.  His comedic take on gun control is unnatural carnal knowledgeing hilarious and brilliant.  His early stuff, unsurprisingly, is better.  He got famous and found the need to live up to his over the top persona, and its hurt his comedy, IMO.

Legit was a fantastic show.  Based around some of his early material.  Its really funny and surprisingly poignant in a lot of parts.

I saw Jefferies live last year. His comedy has "matured" as he's become a father and therefore isn't as edgy, but he definitely has "did he really say that" moments.  Yes, the gun control bit was amazing, as was his earlier bit on religion from "I Swear to God." And his "good girls and sluts" bit.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »
Bean Salad
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #795 on: September 16, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
I am curious who are your favorite comedians, ie IYO some guys who are funny?

Dave Chappelle is my personal favorite. I'm talking just his standups alone (to say nothing of Chappelle Show).

Others mentioned in this thread, Lewis Black, Jeffries are also good. I'd add Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Russell Peters. All of them are good. Each one is light years ahead of Carlin, IMO.

I say to myself: "hey, these newer comics are from your own generation. Carlin was a different era. Thats why you don't find him funny."

But then I think "no, no. Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor standups are still funny to this day."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #796 on: September 16, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Dave Chappelle is my personal favorite. I'm talking just his standups alone (to say nothing of Chappelle Show).

Others mentioned in this thread, Lewis Black, Jeffries are also good. I'd add Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Russell Peters. All of them are good. Each one is light years ahead of Carlin, IMO.

I say to myself: "hey, these newer comics are from your own generation. Carlin was a different era. Thats why you don't find him funny."

But then I think "no, no. Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor standups are still funny to this day."

Super interesting.

I am an avid Chappelle, Burr, Black, Gaffigan, etc fan.   And I love Carlin.

Pryor and Murphy, I feel like their humor is mostly fart humor...it’s funny and stuff, but Carlin makes one think.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #797 on: September 16, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
Der iz know blue food, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #798 on: September 16, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »

I think you haven't seen enough Carlin.  He is on Comedy Rushmore.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #799 on: September 16, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
Der iz know blue food, aina?

psh.  you haven't had blue raspberries then.

feedback