collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 186334 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #825 on: September 22, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
Awfully good timing with the Carlin talk.

https://twitter.com/mcjesse/status/1174938294603247616?s=21

What kills me is all the memes I see where someone puts a "quote" in a picture of George Carlin where the subject of the joke is something that happened after George Carlin died.
Have some patience, FFS.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #826 on: September 22, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
2 things I don’t get.

1) how cheeks is allowed to ruin every thread and is on his 5th username.

2) what happened to hoopaloop. was a great poster. where did he go?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #827 on: September 22, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
2 things I don’t get.

2) what happened to hoopaloop. was a great poster. where did he go?

I am answering other people’s posts.  Takes two to tango, funny how that is always missed.  There are 100’s of threads I do not even participate in. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #828 on: September 22, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »
I am answering other people’s posts.  Takes two to tango, funny how that is always missed.  There are 100’s of threads I do not even participate in.

It’s like talking to a 4 year old. “But mom he did it first!” Sometimes when you’ve gotten in trouble for the same thing over and over (banned multiple times here yet here we are) the person who is showing that behavior for the first time gets a little more leash than the one who constantly is acting out. But no, just chicos being the innocent bystander being unfairly called out again! Life is so unfair to you.

PS you must know given how close you and your back yard beer drinking buddy is. What’s hoopaloop up to these days?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #829 on: September 22, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
2 things I don’t get.

1) how cheeks is allowed to ruin every thread and is on his 5th 15th username.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #830 on: September 23, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »

Two words: Page views! 

Three more: Winter is coming.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #831 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #832 on: September 23, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »

It also helps when one of the many aliases has/had mod status.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #833 on: September 23, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »
It also helps when one of the many aliases has/had mod status.

Chicos was a mod?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #834 on: September 23, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
I've been on some Arby's benders before so take this with a grain of salt, but I think I'd remember that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #835 on: September 23, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
What kills me is all the memes I see where someone puts a "quote" in a picture of George Carlin where the subject of the joke is something that happened after George Carlin died.

Do you mean like this?

There are people who only reply to things in memes and think if they've been created their obviously true.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #836 on: September 23, 2019, 06:15:05 PM »
Do you mean like this?

There are people who only reply to things in memes and think if they've been created their obviously true.

They're vs. their
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #837 on: September 25, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
Sushi
IPAs
Golf

Oh, and Seinfeld
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:09:49 PM by mr.MUskie »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #838 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
Well, I agree with you on 2 out 3.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #839 on: October 01, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
Inspired by the gadgets thread...

I don't get why some people enjoy cutting their lawns.  It's an exercise in futility... within a day or two of cutting the grass, it starts to need it again.  Over and over again.  The short term satisfaction of it looking nice is overshadowed by the repetitive waste of time it is. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #840 on: October 01, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »

I don't get why some people enjoy cutting their lawns.  It's an exercise in futility... within a day or two of cutting the grass, it starts to need it again.  Over and over again.  The short term satisfaction of it looking nice is overshadowed by the repetitive waste of time it is.

Eh, it's a good excuse to listen to podcasts and not be in the house/dealing with kids
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #841 on: October 01, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »

I kinda enjoy cutting the grass.  Lots of things are repetitive wastes of time.  All outdoor gardening .. everything eventually dies.   Making your bed.  Vacuuming the carpet.  Cleaning the dishes.  Eating Arby's.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #842 on: October 01, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

I kinda enjoy cutting the grass.  Lots of things are repetitive wastes of time.  All outdoor gardening .. everything eventually dies.   Making your bed.  Vacuuming the carpet.  Cleaning the dishes.  Eating Arby's.

I agree with this. Doing the lawn (kind of crappily, like I do it) is to cooking what gardening is to baking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #843 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »

When my wife and I were a young couple, about to move from Madison to Minneapolis, she said she wanted a house (vs. an apartment). I said, "OK, but I really hate shoveling snow and mowing the lawn." And she said, "Well that's great, because I love doing that."

And she has held up her end of the bargain. When she was really pregnant, had just given birth or had knee surgery, I of course stepped in and did it. But otherwise, for nearly 35 years now, she has done just about all of mowing and shoveling. Says she likes the exercise, and likes to make the lawn look really nice. Thankfully, haven't had snow to shovel since we left Chicago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #844 on: October 01, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
I don't get lawns.  And by this I mean mass expanse of lawn.  Most of the lawn is not used for anything.  It is just there.  To be mowed.  Weeded.  Sprayed.  Whatever.  It is a waste.  It is sterile.  Dead.

I get lawn immediately around the house.  Where you are outside and moving.  We purchased a house on 1.85 acres last year and as per normal residential use, the majority of the land is, yup, lawn.  We are going to convert over an acre of it specifically to natural prairie.  It will  be a living piece of land again with bugs and birds and butterflies and life.  It won't need near the care and attention of the lawn once established.  Better all the way around.  We will probably even cut a trail through it so that we can walk through the prairie and enjoy it.  I cannot wait to be done with the lawn.....

So yeah, I don't get lawns.....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #845 on: October 01, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
I don't get lawns.  And by this I mean mass expanse of lawn.  Most of the lawn is not used for anything.  It is just there.  To be mowed.  Weeded.  Sprayed.  Whatever.  It is a waste.  It is sterile.  Dead.

I get lawn immediately around the house.  Where you are outside and moving.  We purchased a house on 1.85 acres last year and as per normal residential use, the majority of the land is, yup, lawn.  We are going to convert over an acre of it specifically to natural prairie.  It will  be a living piece of land again with bugs and birds and butterflies and life.  It won't need near the care and attention of the lawn once established.  Better all the way around.  We will probably even cut a trail through it so that we can walk through the prairie and enjoy it.  I cannot wait to be done with the lawn.....

So yeah, I don't get lawns.....

I agree with that to a point....I don't get lawns that are big enough that you have to use a riding mower. I've got a nice little quarter acre.....gives plenty of space for the door, keeps the neighboring houses a reasonable distance away, and gives me plenty of space for outdoor events like the bags tournament(for adults) and bounce house(for kids) event I'm hosting this weekend.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #846 on: October 01, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
When my wife and I were a young couple, about to move from Madison to Minneapolis, she said she wanted a house (vs. an apartment). I said, "OK, but I really hate shoveling snow and mowing the lawn." And she said, "Well that's great, because I love doing that."

And she has held up her end of the bargain. When she was really pregnant, had just given birth or had knee surgery, I of course stepped in and did it. But otherwise, for nearly 35 years now, she has done just about all of mowing and shoveling. Says she likes the exercise, and likes to make the lawn look really nice. Thankfully, haven't had snow to shovel since we left Chicago.

Many years ago, I came home after work in the middle of a horrible snow storm.  My next door and across the street neighbors were shoveling my driveway.  I learned that my wife - 8+ months pregnant at the time -- had been out shoveling.  They sent her inside.  For a while, I thought they might kick my ass for "letting" my wife shovel in that condition.  They didn't know my wife very well; nobody really "lets" her do anything.  A couple cases of beer and we were all square.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #847 on: October 01, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
I've been a 100% cut your own grass guy. I've got a 42" zero turn for two acres. I'm at the point of possibly looking at a service. This summer has been brutal, first year my lawn hasn't gone brown for a period of time. I've been cutting twice a week, on a pretty high setting.

It's calming and nice 85 minute break from my house. I also do a way better job than the neighbors' landscapers.

Do I drop $6k on a quality 52" zero turn? I estimate it'll cost me $3,000/year to get my lawn cut by someone else. Financially makes total sense, but valuing my time for the mid-week cut is where I'm stuck.

What I really don't get it is people with underground sprinklers that use them on a nightly basis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #848 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
The nice thing about mowing and shoveling is the quiet.  My wife does neither, and leaves me alone when I am doing it.   Sometimes I will shovel one or two of the neighbor's sidewalks in addition to my own just so I can have a few more minutes of quiet.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #849 on: October 01, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
    one of the reasons i love Az.  i can leave for extended periods of time and not worry about a lawn.  just kill the weeds a couple times a year...more pool & golf time
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback