[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 184079 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 10:28:10 PM »
elvis
butternut squash
prince
the kardashians
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
Oh and I don't get country music either. Sounds like something right out of my dog's howling.

And, yes, I grew up in Nashville. I went to school with the children of country music stars; lived around the corner from one of the pioneers of the form of music and I still hate it.

I don't get the Kardashians, legalized marijuana and Illinois' propensity to tax anything that moves. The Kardashians impress me as a bunch of spoiled brats who leveraged their Dad's OJ fame.

I don't really like country music, either, but I should. Anybody can sing country. You don't need a voice at all. Much of it is just talkin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
Scoop.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2019, 04:49:47 AM »
Billy Madison

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:48 AM »
Clubs
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2019, 05:09:40 AM »
U2
Sweet potato fries
Julia Roberts

2 out of 3 aint bad.  Sweet Potato Fries are God's gift to the world... unless they are a soggy disgusting mess.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2019, 05:13:54 AM »
Decaf coffee
CBS sitcoms

I'll go one step further.  Almost all network television.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2019, 06:16:33 AM »
The Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Bands
IPAs
Complaining about April 15
Pets, especially considering them family members

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2019, 06:56:22 AM »
Some of these things that people get or don't get are because they are of an era. Take Dumb and Dumber, that movie was on near constant rotation in our apartment when we stumbled back home on the weekends (along with the South Park movie and Billy Madison). Those movies are hilarious and nostalgic to me but I also get why people don't get them because they saw them once or something and just think they are silly.

Things I don't get:
Youtube viral videos
Slime
People who enjoy yard work
Anything by U2
Quentin Terintino films
Judging something retro-actively
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »
The Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Bands
IPAs
Complaining about April 15
Pets, especially considering them family members

Gotta see them live. I pretty much don't listen to them anymore and still wouldn't miss an Alpine Valley show
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »
Cher
Kathy Gifford
Kathy Griffin
Roseanne
Mike and Ikes
Ben and Jerrys
Jim Carrey
Sarah Silverman
Kardashian of all walks of life
George Clooney
Bette Midler
Amy Schumer
Regular season NBA
Neil Young
This is a great list except for Neil Young (and Mike and Ikes).  Roseanne's early stand-up before her original TV show was very funny, but agree since her show made her famous.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 07:18:57 AM »
Decaf coffee
CBS sitcoms
I disaghree on decaf coffee. I have a condition where I cannot have much caffeine, but I love coffee. So, it has to be good decaf. Not the crap in diners, which ntastes metallic, but a good Nespresso decaf, either in espresso form (latte's, flat whites) or a good heary cup o Joe.

Things I don't get. The NFL (about 30 minutes of action spread over 3 hours). The SuperBowl-most specifically halftime shows and commercials (way overrated), and grown men wearing their favorite players jersey.-Going to a game is even worse for me...there is way too much dead time, and I cannot change the channel

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Some of these things that people get or don't get are because they are of an era. Take Dumb and Dumber, that movie was on near constant rotation in our apartment when we stumbled back home on the weekends (along with the South Park movie and Billy Madison). Those movies are hilarious and nostalgic to me but I also get why people don't get them because they saw them once or something and just think they are silly.

Things I don't get:
Youtube viral videos
Slime
People who enjoy yard work
Anything by U2
Quentin Terintino films
Judging something retro-actively

I was out of town on assignment (I believe in Boston) when the South Park movie came out. I had an afternoon to kill and, even though I had only seen bits and pieces of the series, I decided to go to the movie. I expected it to be so stupid that I would hate it. It was stupid, of course, but I loved it. I have rewatched it a couple of times since and still think it is very funny, and I'm still not a regular watcher of the show. Dumb and Dumber is just bad.

I like most of the Tarantino films I've seen, especially Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I admit I "don't get" the fascination with Reservoir Dogs (I thought it was rather boring) and he's had a few clunkers, but he's made some very good stuff IMHO.

Otherwise, I totally get your list of things you don't get.

And not you but ...

Surprised by the level of dislike for the Stones. Crazy.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
Coffee.

I tried it once, 25 years ago.   Awful.  So I put some sugar in it.  It was 3% less awful. 

So I put some more sugar in it, and it was 5% less awful.   Thinking about others I've seen, I dumped 4-5 more spoons of sugar in there and it was almost OK, but it was too much work.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
This is a fun thread.

I love Neil Young, especially 70s era but he made a lot of great stuff much later, too.

Neil Young is great in any era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Any talent show like American Idol etc. The only good talent show was the Gong Show.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
I don't really like country music, either, but I should. Anybody can sing country. You don't need a voice at all. Much of it is just talkin'.

Country music stars were the first rappers.

Boy Named Sue
Uneasy Rider
Devil Went Down to Georgia
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
And not you but ...

As the person who started this -- and specifically started it with a reference to the Stones -- I wouldn't say that I "dislike" them.  I just find them...meh.  My reaction to the stones is, "this is an all-time classic band?  Really?"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »

And not you but ...

Would be me too (didn't want to pile on) I really like maybe 3 Stones songs the rest is garbage to me and the general fanboying about them just mystifies me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
I'm with you on Amy Schumer. She wasn't bad in her acting roles but I don't think her standup is particularly strong. Your comedian selection has a certain pattern though...

I do not get:
Facebook for your newborn children
Posting hundreds of pictures in the middle of a vacation
Cleanses
Being rude to service workers
Big Bang Theory
Aversion to advanced statistics

The pattern is they are not funny.  Add Dane Cook, Whoopi, Wanda Sykes, AZiz Ansari.   Comedians are brutal.  Could add 20 more easily.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »
Coffee.

I tried it once, 25 years ago.   Awful.  So I put some sugar in it.  It was 3% less awful. 

So I put some more sugar in it, and it was 5% less awful.   Thinking about others I've seen, I dumped 4-5 more spoons of sugar in there and it was almost OK, but it was too much work.

Great one.  Haven’t had a cup in 30 years.  The smell of it still nauseates me.  Same for Kona ice cream
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
I think the stones are very hit or miss. I actually have a playlist I made on Spotify called "Good Stones" It's 13 songs.

The band I really never "got" was Led Zeplin.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
Coffee.

I have had 2 sips of coffee in my life. I tried a sip of my mom's coffee when I was about 13 and almost had to go puke. My wife LOVES coffee and seems so happy drinking it that I decided to try a sip of hers about 4 years ago. Just putrid. It's like toxic sludge.

I don't like coffee ice cream, coffee candies, coffee in my beer, anywhere.

However ...

I do like the idea of coffee, the idea of the coffeeshop as a place to just chill out with friends or a book -- Howard Schultz was a genius to recognize the appeal and to make it into "a thing."

I also like being at a restaurant or cafe with a friend who says something like this to the server: "Oh, nothing for me ... just coffee." Kinda cool.

But coffee itself? Ugh.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
This is a great list except for Neil Young

I would rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard than Neil Young's whiny voice.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »
I actually have a playlist I made on Spotify called "Good Stones" It's 13 songs.

Listen to "Jigsaw Puzzle" on Beggars Banquet.  It's the best track on one of my favorite albums.

feedback