collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 206745 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1600 on: December 13, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »
Yeah I mean Barcelona would be stop no 1 then we'd head east if it was included.

Thanks a lot, Milan's not necessarily locked in stone we may just take the drive down the west coast of Italy.

If the choice is Milan or Portifino and/or Cinque Terre, I highly suggest the latter.  Unless you're very interested in fashion and its history, Milan is a pretty nondescript, fairly dirty big city.  Rome is dirty...but its Rome.  Milan is a dirtier NYC without the cache of NYC.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: December 13, 2022, 03:36:50 PM »
If the choice is Milan or Portifino and/or Cinque Terre, I highly suggest the latter.  Unless you're very interested in fashion and its history, Milan is a pretty nondescript, fairly dirty big city.  Rome is dirty...but its Rome.  Milan is a dirtier NYC without the cache of NYC.

Gotcha then maybe we'll lean that route.  I've done Rome before, she hasn't but we were gonna skip it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: December 13, 2022, 03:43:29 PM »
Gotcha then maybe we'll lean that route.  I've done Rome before, she hasn't but we were gonna skip it.

We did our honeymoon in Italy after my wife had already studied abroad there. We skipped Milan due to similar reasons above. Her favorite place was Cinque Terre which was awesome.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: December 13, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
Trying to plan my honeymoon to match our year anniversary. Thinking a treck along the Mediterranean from nice to Milan maybe a brief stop in Monaco just to say we did it.

Anyone familiar with this area? Recommended villages/towns? Recommended Michelin restaurants to a local dive spot?

Is it possible to include Barcelona or would I be stretching us too thin?

That's a very aggressive itinerary, and likely stressful and tiring. Honestly, that's three or four trips.

That said, you can see most of that and more on a cruise from Marseille to Venice. I am not a cruise guy typically but that is a great way to discover the Mediterranean the first time (to decide what you want to see the next trip). Your cabin is your luggage and transport.  It's touristic for sure but after the stress of a wedding, it might find it the most rewarding, especially on an aggressive agenda.

Milan is the gate to Lake Como, that's about it. Marseille is mostly a dump, btw. Aux en Provence is the place to stay.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: December 13, 2022, 03:52:51 PM »
That's a very aggressive itinerary, and likely stressful and tiring. Honestly, that's three or four trips.

That said, you can see most of that and more on a cruise from Marseille to Venice. I am not a cruise guy typically but that is a great way to discover the Mediterranean the first time (to decide what you want to see the next trip). Your cabin is your luggage and transport.  It's touristic for sure but after the stress of a wedding, it might find it the most rewarding, especially on an aggressive agenda.

Milan is the gate to Lake Como, that's about it. Marseille is mostly a dump, btw. Aux en Provence is the place to stay.

While I appreciate the advice I really really hate cruises, plus we got married Memorial Day weekend last year so no recent wedding stress.

We both work remote so are probably going to just work there for about a month.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: December 13, 2022, 04:00:32 PM »
While I appreciate the advice I really really hate cruises, plus we got married Memorial Day weekend last year so no recent wedding stress.

We both work remote so are probably going to just work there for about a month.

Awesome! Cinque Terra. Florence. Sorrento. Barca.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: December 13, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »

I second this, Milan was a wasted stop for me years ago, it was just boring as heck, relative to the rest of the Mediterranean and Italy for sure.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: December 13, 2022, 07:30:29 PM »
I know there has been a ton of Hawaii discussion but I couldn't find it.

Going to Maui and Kauai in late March. Any recommendations beyond Haleakala and Hana? Has anyone done a guided excursions that they enjoyed? Maybe one that included snorkeling?

Where are you staying in Maui?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: December 13, 2022, 07:52:06 PM »

Going to Maui and Kauai in late March. Any recommendations beyond Haleakala and Hana? Has anyone done a guided excursions that they enjoyed? Maybe one that included snorkeling?

You are going to miss the whales but just about any tour will be good. Maui is about food and drink which there are many choices.

That said, when in Maui I hike. Big fan of the Waihee Ridge Trail when it's not wet. First 30 minutes straight up are tough, then it's bliss.

https://www.prideofmaui.com/blog/activities/top-10-hikes-in-maui

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: December 13, 2022, 09:35:16 PM »

My advice is to consider a cruise that hits both of these ports. If you dont mind spending only 6 or 8 hours in those ports that would be the way to go
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: December 14, 2022, 07:47:10 AM »
Mrs pbiflyer loved the amalfi coast. My standard Europe travel advice is almost always you are visiting too many places. Wastes too much time in transit. You don’t  get to see other than the highlights. And this is from the voice of experience. We did Rome, Siena, Florence, and Venice is a week. Flew out of Milan. We were exhausted. This year, we did a week each in Cologne, Antwerp, and Paris. Much more relaxing. Milan was just a place to fly out of and that didn't even work out so well, as the airport is a good hour outside of Milan.

BTW, we lived in Hawaii, albeit long ago. Hiking in the Na Pali coast in Kauai is amazing. On Haleakala, the silversword plants exist nowhere else in the world, make sure you check them out.
If you see huli huli chicken somewhere, especially on a roadside stand, get it, it’s delicious.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 08:06:54 AM by pbiflyer »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: December 14, 2022, 10:24:56 AM »
I haven’t flown in/out of TPA in a long time until this morning. I forgot this is a top 5 US airport, so nice.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: December 14, 2022, 12:30:45 PM »
Trying to plan my honeymoon to match our year anniversary. Thinking a treck along the Mediterranean from nice to Milan maybe a brief stop in Monaco just to say we did it.

Anyone familiar with this area? Recommended villages/towns? Recommended Michelin restaurants to a local dive spot?

Is it possible to include Barcelona or would I be stretching us too thin?

Milan sucks, don't go.  It's probably a nice city to live, but there just isn't that much to DO.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: December 14, 2022, 01:51:53 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: December 14, 2022, 01:53:11 PM »
You are going to miss the whales but just about any tour will be good. Maui is about food and drink which there are many choices.

That said, when in Maui I hike. Big fan of the Waihee Ridge Trail when it's not wet. First 30 minutes straight up are tough, then it's bliss.

https://www.prideofmaui.com/blog/activities/top-10-hikes-in-maui

This list is great, thanks. Hiking is a priority for the week we'll be there. We were already going to Iao Valley and Sliding Sands. I'll add Waihee Ridge Trail to the list.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: December 14, 2022, 03:00:36 PM »

Mama's Fish House

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: December 14, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »
Kauai is my and Mrs. 82's favorite vacation spot.

You'll want to spend an entire day at Waimea Canyon -- it's spectacular, like the Grand Canyon. Lots of great hiking.

The Poipu Beach area is the most sunny part of the island; if the rest is cloudy, very possible Poipu is sunny and warm. Occasionally sea mammals are on the sand sunning themselves; they'll be roped off by wildlife officials.

Gillen's Beach is right near Poipu. It's an awesome beach and much quieter; you can hike the shoreline going east for a couple miles.

Up north by Princeville is beautiful. Craggy cliffs and some amazing shoreline. Secret Beach is up that way -- it's nice but there usually are more people there than one would think for a place called Secret Beach!

Up that way is one of my favorite spots on earth, Queen's Bath. It's a bit of an effort to find, and takes a little courage (lunacy?) to jump into the lava pool, but I've only half-jokingly said I want my ashes spread there after I die.

A day or early-evening cruise to see the Napali Coast is pretty amazing.

So much more. Just a beautiful island, a nature-lovers paradise, and one could spend a month on Kauai and not run out of things to do even though it's less developed than Maui (which we also love). There are busier areas, too, with nice restaurants and more touristy things if folks want to spend some time that way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: December 15, 2022, 01:41:31 PM »
UK announces by 2024 no more liquid limitations for security.  Up to 2L is fine.  Also won't need to remove laptops or electronics.  Supposedly Ireland already has the liquid rules at some aiports?

Technology has definitely got to the point where the liquid limits are antiquated and unneeded, for sure.  Amusing its the UK, cause Ive always found them to be amongst the most stingy and meticulous.  If your liquid plastic bag isn't sealed, you have an issue.  They will notice even an eye drop bottle in a random pocket you forgot to put in the plastic bag.

Meanwhile, in the US with precheck, I haven't put a liquid in a special bag for years, just put it all in my dopp kit.  Pretty sure Ive taken 4-5 oz multiples times, intentionally or otherwise.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: December 15, 2022, 01:51:56 PM »
UK announces by 2024 no more liquid limitations for security.  Up to 2L is fine.  Also won't need to remove laptops or electronics.  Supposedly Ireland already has the liquid rules at some aiports?

Technology has definitely got to the point where the liquid limits are antiquated and unneeded, for sure.  Amusing its the UK, cause Ive always found them to be amongst the most stingy and meticulous.  If your liquid plastic bag isn't sealed, you have an issue.  They will notice even an eye drop bottle in a random pocket you forgot to put in the plastic bag.

Meanwhile, in the US with precheck, I haven't put a liquid in a special bag for years, just put it all in my dopp kit.  Pretty sure Ive taken 4-5 oz multiples times, intentionally or otherwise.

For me, the rules seem to be all over the place and change depending on who is working.  I had to trash an almost new tube of toothpaste because it was 3.4oz or something ridiculous.  Before they threw it out they asked if I wanted to go run it out to my car.  I guess they weren't worried about it that much since at that point if it were an explosive, it would have been a car bomb in their lot.  ::)

Sometimes remove shoes, sometimes remove electronics, sometimes remove liquids.  Great federal agency we have here, huh?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: December 15, 2022, 02:47:36 PM »
Dude, if ya kneed a shiny knew tube of toothpaste, eye kan gift ya won. Consitter it my holiday offerin' two ya. Kinda a Scoop brotherhood thang, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: December 15, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
For me, the rules seem to be all over the place and change depending on who is working.  I had to trash an almost new tube of toothpaste because it was 3.4oz or something ridiculous.  Before they threw it out they asked if I wanted to go run it out to my car.  I guess they weren't worried about it that much since at that point if it were an explosive, it would have been a car bomb in their lot.  ::)

Sometimes remove shoes, sometimes remove electronics, sometimes remove liquids.  Great federal agency we have here, huh?
Entitled much? When was the last terrorist attack on a plane? I think they are doing a pretty good job.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: December 15, 2022, 02:55:09 PM »
Entitled much? When was the last terrorist attack on a plane? I think they are doing a pretty good job.

I've got a cheetah repelling rock to sell you if you think the TSA is an effective terrorist deterrent.

I'll cost ya tho.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: December 15, 2022, 02:56:36 PM »
Dude, if ya kneed a shiny knew tube of toothpaste, eye kan gift ya won. Consitter it my holiday offerin' two ya. Kinda a Scoop brotherhood thang, aina?

I'll take a 4-pack of the Arm and Hammer Advanced Care.  That or a bag of sand and glue will do.

I ain't picky

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: December 15, 2022, 02:58:54 PM »
I've got a cheetah repelling rock to sell you if you think the TSA is an effective terrorist deterrent.

I'll cost ya tho.
You cant prove otherwise. No terrorist attacks since 9/11?I think they do a good job, along with the ALA's the FBI uses.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: December 15, 2022, 03:05:28 PM »
You cant prove otherwise. No terrorist attacks since 9/11?I think they do a good job, along with the ALA's the FBI uses.

And you can't prove that they've been effective.  Terrorists, like all people and animals, adapt.

TSA is theater.  Securing the doors on the cockpits of airplanes, and the public's willingness to fight back has stopped hijacking of American flights since 9/11.

Prior to 9/11 it wasn't as if flights were being constantly blown up either... so uhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.  Great job, good effort TSA.

feedback