collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 207889 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1625 on: December 15, 2022, 03:18:20 PM »
You cant prove otherwise. No terrorist attacks since 9/11?I think they do a good job, along with the ALA's the FBI uses.

some studies found that TSA has cost more lives than it has saved
 https://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11687014/tsa-against-airport-security

One paper by economists Garrick Blalock, Vrinda Kadiyali, and Daniel Simon found that, controlling for other factors like weather and traffic, 9/11 provoked such a large decrease in air traffic and increase in driving that 327 more people died every month from road accidents. The effect dissipated over time, but the total death toll (up to 2,300) rivals that of the attacks themselves.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: December 15, 2022, 03:33:57 PM »
And you can't prove that they've been effective.  Terrorists, like all people and animals, adapt.

TSA is theater.  Securing the doors on the cockpits of airplanes, and the public's willingness to fight back has stopped hijacking of American flights since 9/11.

Prior to 9/11 it wasn't as if flights were being constantly blown up either... so uhhhhhhhhhhh yeah.  Great job, good effort TSA.
You sound like a bad stand up comedian when you complain about your toothpaste. There have been thousands of arrests as the result of TSA screenings. You don't know if one of those was a potential terrorist. The FBI does.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1627 on: December 15, 2022, 04:10:59 PM »
I'll take a 4-pack of the Arm and Hammer Advanced Care.  That or a bag of sand and glue will do.

I ain't picky

Your British teeth resemble that remark.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #1628 on: December 15, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »
Hey all!

Thinking about heading to Napa/Sonoma next summer/fall. Any recommendations on places to stay, taste, and eat?

A must for me is going to Seghesio which is on the Sonoma side. Appreciate it!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1629 on: December 15, 2022, 04:25:58 PM »
Hey all!

Thinking about heading to Napa/Sonoma next summer/fall. Any recommendations on places to stay, taste, and eat?

Everything as far as accommodations will be too much.  Avoid the hotel in downtown Napa unless you really don’t care where you stay.  I’d recommend staying in Sonoma, tbh, though I like Napa better overall as a place to explore

There really aren’t any bad food places but two places in Napa you should go to.  Go to Jax’s White Mule Diner for breakfast.  The food is great and you get a lot of it.  For lunch or casual dinner, go to Gott’s Roadside in downtown or in St. Helena.  The mahi mahi tacos or Baja fish tacos are wildly delicious.

Mumm Napa on the Rutherford Trail is an underrated gem as far as views and experience and guest dinners/tastings
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: December 15, 2022, 04:35:12 PM »
You sound like a bad stand up comedian when you complain about your toothpaste. There have been thousands of arrests as the result of TSA screenings. You don't know if one of those was a potential terrorist. The FBI does.

Ah, so you agree, you don't know if the TSA and its $10 billion annual budget have actually caught any terrorists.

You just *think* that it's possible.  The TSA is there to make you feel safe, and it exists because of an attack that worked once, and cannot possibly work again.  It exists to solve a problem that does not exist.

I wasn't trying to be funny about my toothpaste, it was an honest story about how stupid of an organization the TSA is.

If you really want to cry about how much terrorism they prevent, consider that leaving a backpack with an explosive in the lengthy TSA line is just as effective an attack as putting the bomb on an airplane.  Jesus Christ, it's as if you haven't even given this a moment of thought until today.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: December 15, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
Ah, so you agree, you don't know if the TSA and its $10 billion annual budget have actually caught any terrorists.

You just *think* that it's possible.  The TSA is there to make you feel safe, and it exists because of an attack that worked once, and cannot possibly work again.  It exists to solve a problem that does not exist.

I wasn't trying to be funny about my toothpaste, it was an honest story about how stupid of an organization the TSA is.

If you really want to cry about how much terrorism they prevent, consider that leaving a backpack with an explosive in the lengthy TSA line is just as effective an attack as putting the bomb on an airplane.  Jesus Christ, it's as if you haven't even given this a moment of thought until today.
I have thought about it, and I wont go full blown Chicos about what I know. Just, that TSA has assisted ALA's in more cases than you know. You just sound like a whiny little bitch having to spend an extra 15 minutes in a line.If you don't like it, don't fly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: December 15, 2022, 06:08:26 PM »
Hey all!

We stayed at the Geyserville Inn and thought it was exceptional. 

Breweries:  Lagunitas and Russian River (Do not miss)
Wineries: Sterling and Castello de Amorosa are cool spots... Personally, I like Vincent Arroyo. 

Also, watch out for Black Porsches
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 06:17:53 PM by Hards Alumni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: December 15, 2022, 06:10:53 PM »
I have thought about it, and I wont go full blown Chicos about what I know. Just, that TSA has assisted ALA's in more cases than you know. You just sound like a whiny little bitch having to spend an extra 15 minutes in a line.If you don't like it, don't fly.

Damn, who shat in your cheerios today?  Or is does your kid work for the TSA? 

The TSA isn't worth its budget.  Period.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1634 on: December 15, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »
Hey all!

Yountville is great for food and wine

Breakfast
Model bakery
Bouchon bakery

RH (lunch and dinner)

Lunch
Oakville Grocery
Gotts Roadside

Dinner
bouchon
Rutherford Grill
R&D kitchen
French Laundry
Anything else Thomas Keller

Wineries
We also try to do boutique wineries (no distribution) but there’s millions and most are good. I can send recommendations if needed

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: December 15, 2022, 07:42:01 PM »
Anyone been to Fredericksburg in Texas outside Austin? Recommendations?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: December 15, 2022, 08:02:32 PM »
Anyone been to Fredericksburg in Texas outside Austin? Recommendations?

I’d probably avoid Chris Beard.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: December 15, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »
Hey all!

Applewood Inn in Guerneville in the Russian River Valley
Harvest Inn in St. Helena
The Lodge at Sonoma Resort

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: December 15, 2022, 09:01:06 PM »
Yountville is great for food and wine

Breakfast
Model bakery
Bouchon bakery

RH (lunch and dinner)

Lunch
Oakville Grocery
Gotts Roadside

Dinner
bouchon
Rutherford Grill
R&D kitchen
French Laundry
Anything else Thomas Keller

Wineries
We also try to do boutique wineries (no distribution) but there’s millions and most are good. I can send recommendations if needed

I was going to suggest Taylor’s Refresher until I googled it and saw they changed their name to Gotts

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1639 on: December 15, 2022, 09:02:56 PM »
Hey all!

I also recommend flying into Oakland instead of San Francisco

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: December 15, 2022, 11:39:33 PM »
Hey all!

Let's start with what type of wines you like?  I see Mumm's and Rutherford mention here, if that's the case, go to Binny's instead.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #1641 on: December 16, 2022, 09:18:54 AM »
I also recommend flying into Oakland instead of San Francisco

I heard the complete opposite from a few others. Reasoning?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1642 on: December 16, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
Smaller, less traveled airport that I've found a lot easier to get out of.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: December 16, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »
And closer to Napa. Less traffic. But I would pick flight times over airports. If Oakland lines up with the times, a better choice.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1644 on: December 16, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »
And closer to Napa. Less traffic. But I would pick flight times over airports. If Oakland lines up with the times, a better choice.

You also may want to look at Sacramento, which is further away but going to generally have a lot less traffic.

If you do fly into San Francisco, and you have time and not been there prior, its kind of fun to drive through the city and across the Golden Gate.  Depending on traffic, may add a half-hour or so?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1645 on: December 16, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »
Great point...SW into OAK works great for us and the free checked bags allow us to bring more wine back.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: December 16, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
While I appreciate the advice I really really hate cruises, plus we got married Memorial Day weekend last year so no recent wedding stress.

We both work remote so are probably going to just work there for about a month.

Cool a month in Italy!

I would skip Milan, unless the flights are just so great versus other options.

The Amalfi coast is great, very romantic, lots to do. Blue grotto is amazing. Portofino was mrs pbiflyer's favorite city.
If you are in that area and choose to do Pompeii, get a guide to show you around. Also Herculaneum is a less visited, great alternative. https://www.visitpompeiivesuvius.com/en/herculaneum

Almost anywhere in the Tuscany area is great. Maybe a farmhouse/vineyard (with wifi to work remotely).

An off the wall idea if you do fly into Milan - Switzerland? Stunningly beautiful. Train ride is stunning.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1647 on: December 16, 2022, 11:25:33 AM »
You also may want to look at Sacramento, which is further away but going to generally have a lot less traffic.

If you do fly into San Francisco, and you have time and not been there prior, its kind of fun to drive through the city and across the Golden Gate.  Depending on traffic, may add a half-hour or so?

I did that once and it was great, flying into Sacramento.

San Francisco is a fun drive, imo, too.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: December 16, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »
The Amalfi coast is great, very romantic, lots to do. Blue grotto is amazing. Portofino was mrs pbiflyer's favorite city.
If you are in that area and choose to do Pompeii, get a guide to show you around. Also Herculaneum is a less visited, great alternative. https://www.visitpompeiivesuvius.com/en/herculaneum

Almost anywhere in the Tuscany area is great. Maybe a farmhouse/vineyard (with wifi to work remotely).

Co-sign.  Capri is also a very cool day trip.  Rent a boat, see the grotto, stop off at Capri and roam around.

Herculaneum is also an awesome trip, a little less touristy.

Can't co-sign Tuscany enough.  Florence is beyond incredible, obviously, but that whole region is sublime.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: December 16, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »

When we did our trip, we flew into SF and then out of Sacramento.  Sacramento was far easier.

feedback