[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205810 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1550 on: August 01, 2022, 06:44:40 AM »
What recommendations do you guys have for the greater Minocqua area?

Leaving tomorrow with the kids, have a rental.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1551 on: August 01, 2022, 07:07:28 AM »

Booze.  Lots of it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: August 01, 2022, 07:13:30 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: August 01, 2022, 09:31:42 AM »

How old are the kids?
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: August 01, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: August 01, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
5 and almost 9.

We have been going up to that area for 30 years.

The kids may enjoy the lumberjack show.
http://www.scheerslumberjackshow.com/woodruff-wi-lumberjack-show.html

Also, this is a pretty decent petting zoo

https://wildwoodwildlifepark.com/

This place has good go-karts.  I don't believe we have done horseback riding or minigolf there.

https://www.holidayacresminocqua.com/

Supper Clubs I like:  Marty's Place North,  Norwood Pines

Minocqua Brewing has good beer and food.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: August 01, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »
We have been going up to that area for 30 years.

The kids may enjoy the lumberjack show.
http://www.scheerslumberjackshow.com/woodruff-wi-lumberjack-show.html

Also, this is a pretty decent petting zoo

https://wildwoodwildlifepark.com/

This place has good go-karts.  I don't believe we have done horseback riding or minigolf there.

https://www.holidayacresminocqua.com/

Supper Clubs I like:  Marty's Place North,  Norwood Pines

Minocqua Brewing has good beer and food.

Awesome, thanks!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: August 01, 2022, 06:38:19 PM »
I see that St. Pierre and Miquelon on the CDC Covid 3 warning places.  I've never heard of this archipelago but it looks pretty damn cool.  I guess it's the last bastion of French territory in Canada?  I wonder if you can plan a Newfoundland/St. Pierre itinerary?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:42:35 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: August 01, 2022, 07:09:58 PM »
I see that St. Pierre and Miquelon on the CDC Covid 3 warning places.  I've never heard of this archipelago but it looks pretty damn cool.  I guess it's the last bastion of French territory in Canada?  I wonder if you can plan a Newfoundland/St. Pierre itinerary?

I mean there is nothing really there.  Miquelon just got some shine during the last season of Peaky Blinders as a bit of it took place there.  Its just an old fishing colony with terrible weather.  I think PEI and Nova Scotia would be much cooler.  Quebec probably has more French culture and influence.

If you want a French Overseas Collective worth visting, might as well go to Martinique or Reunion

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: August 01, 2022, 07:17:01 PM »

I mean there is nothing really there.  Miquelon just got some shine during the last season of Peaky Blinders as a bit of it took place there.  Its just an old fishing colony with terrible weather.  I think PEI and Nova Scotia would be much cooler.  Quebec probably has more French culture and influence.

If you want a French Overseas Collective worth visting, might as well go to Martinique or Reunion

Ya..I suppose.  I've been to Nova Scotia quite a bit.  It's one of my favorite places.  I'd like to find time to explore PEI more and Newfoundland.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1560 on: August 01, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »

I'm halfway through the last season. Had no idea the history of those islands until I looked it up after the first episode
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: August 02, 2022, 05:26:03 AM »

I've been to the Canadian Maritimes before.  Was supposed to make a return trip in 2020 because our kids really wanted to visit.

New/Nouveau Brunswick is really Canada's only bilingual province.  Loaded with French Acadians and Royalists who left the American colonies during the revolution.

PEI is the best.  Kind of like a Martha's Vineyard and pock marked with French settlements.  The red cliffs and soil like Utah contrasted with the green and ocean is a beautiful site.  Anne of Green Gables takes place here as is the authors house.  The island is overrun with Japanese tourists who are enamored with the books.  Potatoes are grown everywhere and go great with the lobster.  And you get to drive 30 minutes over the Confederation Bridge to get there.  Or a ferry.

Nova Scotia (Nouvelle Ecosse) is great too.  Halifax is a gem.  Oak Island was on the visit agenda.  The far end of Nova Scotia the mammoth French fort that fell during the French and Indian War.  We took a boat tour that took us around the Bird Islands that contain one of the few puffin colonies in North America.  You can go fossil digging in NS too.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:32:02 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: August 02, 2022, 09:27:33 AM »
I'm halfway through the last season. Had no idea the history of those islands until I looked it up after the first episode

Yea, thats what sort of colored my post.  Was like "oh interesting", id only briefly heard of St Pierre as they randomly have a small airline (Air St Pierre) that actually flies to Paris in the summer, looked it up, read a bit, and was like oh...there is nothing there.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: August 02, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
I've been to the Canadian Maritimes before.  Was supposed to make a return trip in 2020 because our kids really wanted to visit.

New/Nouveau Brunswick is really Canada's only bilingual province.  Loaded with French Acadians and Royalists who left the American colonies during the revolution.

PEI is the best.  Kind of like a Martha's Vineyard and pock marked with French settlements.  The red cliffs and soil like Utah contrasted with the green and ocean is a beautiful site.  Anne of Green Gables takes place here as is the authors house.  The island is overrun with Japanese tourists who are enamored with the books.  Potatoes are grown everywhere and go great with the lobster.  And you get to drive 30 minutes over the Confederation Bridge to get there.  Or a ferry.

Nova Scotia (Nouvelle Ecosse) is great too.  Halifax is a gem.  Oak Island was on the visit agenda.  The far end of Nova Scotia the mammoth French fort that fell during the French and Indian War.  We took a boat tour that took us around the Bird Islands that contain one of the few puffin colonies in North America.  You can go fossil digging in NS too.

How is the golf in PEI?  Maybe I'll take a mussels vacation there and then golf in Caoe Breton.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: August 03, 2022, 05:41:44 AM »
How is the golf in PEI?  Maybe I'll take a mussels vacation there and then golf in Caoe Breton.

Unsure but there are plenty of courses in both

At the time, my wife bought me a t-shirt with potato people (a PEI thing) playing golf!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: August 03, 2022, 06:55:28 PM »
Unsure but there are plenty of courses in both

At the time, my wife bought me a t-shirt with potato people (a PEI thing) playing golf!

I wonder why the mussels are so much better there??

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: August 03, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
Have any of you scoopesr been to Cyprus?  I'm reading a novel which partly takes place there.  Fascinating history. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: August 03, 2022, 10:04:20 PM »
Have any of you scoopesr been to Cyprus?  I'm reading a novel which partly takes place there.  Fascinating history.
In other words, do we have any Russian Oligarch scoopers who go there to visit their money??
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: August 04, 2022, 05:01:59 AM »
My daughter who did study abroad in France this past semester in conjunction with some of her new friends decided on Malta over Cyprus.  Cyprus has nicer beaches Malta doesn't really have them but it was deemed safer for college kids per the British woman who ran my kids program and my wife's friend in Poland who frequently travels somewhere beachy.
FWIW

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: August 04, 2022, 08:37:06 AM »

An extremely good mosquito repellant.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: August 04, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »

Its a cool island with some interesting cultural history.  I mean its an island a bit bigger than Delaware that is essentially split in half, Greek and Turkish.  But its a very pretty resort island with great climate.

My daughter who did study abroad in France this past semester in conjunction with some of her new friends decided on Malta over Cyprus.  Cyprus has nicer beaches Malta doesn't really have them but it was deemed safer for college kids per the British woman who ran my kids program and my wife's friend in Poland who frequently travels somewhere beachy.
FWIW

Malta on the other hand is INCREDIBLE.  If you want a chill, resort vacation, go to Cyprus.  If you want an island with a fascinating history and so much stuff to see and read about, Malta all the way.  I spent my entire transit back from the Med a few years ago just reading endless Wiki articles after spending a few days in Malta.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: August 04, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »
Its a cool island with some interesting cultural history.  I mean its an island a bit bigger than Delaware that is essentially split in half, Greek and Turkish.  But its a very pretty resort island with great climate.

Malta on the other hand is INCREDIBLE.  If you want a chill, resort vacation, go to Cyprus.  If you want an island with a fascinating history and so much stuff to see and read about, Malta all the way.  I spent my entire transit back from the Med a few years ago just reading endless Wiki articles after spending a few days in Malta.

Tyvm JWags. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: August 25, 2022, 11:15:56 AM »
The new LGA…OMG. I honestly thought I flew to the wrong airport this morning.

Excited to see what Queens has to offer over next two days.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: August 25, 2022, 12:51:21 PM »

Is that good or bad?

I regularly fly from LGA and it's vastly improved getting in and out despite ongoing terminal construction.

You may not have this issue, since you flew into LGA and your return flight may involve a car rental drop-off and not use of the parking garage.
I parked in the parking garage on the same floor (5th?) as the new pedestrian entrance ramp.  The ramp dumps you into the security line entrance, then using escalators you have go awkwardly around it and down another flight for check-in/luggage drop-off then back up a flight for security.

Because the terminals are still under construction my gate happened to be in the mostly closed old section, so I had walk across an old and very long temporarily spruced up hallway that dumps you into an area with about 16 gates.  You can see the original entrance ramp closed off.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: August 25, 2022, 01:00:40 PM »

Main problem I have with LGA is how difficult it is to get to Manhattan.  $50 for a cab ride into downtown through traffic sucks donkey balls.   Which is why I usually fly into EWR for this reason and take the train into Penn Station.