[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 205844 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1500 on: July 07, 2022, 08:45:10 PM »
I'm your huckleberry.   I will be gone next week or I would be your tour guide.
Breweries:  Founders.  Perrin. ( Try the Perrin Black).  New Holland.   The Bridge Street Corridor.

Breakfast:  Sundance Grill, Real Food Cafe, Anna's house, Wolfgang's, Cherie Inn.

Dinner:  Mitten brewing.  River North Public House.  The Green Well.   Honey Creek Inn

Golf course you should play that is probably not on your itinerary:   Cedar Chase.   Ask the owner about going to high school with Brad Galli.

Enjoy.   I don't know your specific tastes, but this is a good start.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: July 07, 2022, 08:47:22 PM »
Let’s go! That’s what I needed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: July 07, 2022, 08:50:45 PM »
Where are you already playing?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: July 07, 2022, 09:05:12 PM »
Where are you already playing?

Pilgrims, Mines and Diamond Spring

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: July 07, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »
Worthy choices.   Not a huge fan of The Mines.   The location is a unicorn.  Building a course 2 miles from downtown in 2000 is amazing.   I shot my personal best on a good course at Diamond.   A pleasant course through 13.   Hold on to your ass from there.    Pilgrims is fun.  It feels like it could be 100 miles further north.  Very wooded.

I had to check.  All 3 designed by the same guy.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 09:19:35 PM by tower912 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: July 07, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »
Worthy choices.   Not a huge fan of The Mines.   The location is a unicorn.  Building a course 2 miles from downtown in 2000 is amazing.   I shot my personal best on a good course at Diamond.   A pleasant course through 13.   Hold on to your ass from there.    Pilgrims is fun.  It feels like it could be 100 miles further north.  Very wooded.

I had to check.  All 3 designed by the same guy.

Yep, it’s a DeVries trip pretty much. That and beer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: July 07, 2022, 09:27:21 PM »
After Pilgrim's Run, stop at Cedar Springs brewery.  In the style of a Bavarian Bierhaus, in atmosphere, menu, and brewing style.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: July 08, 2022, 05:35:08 AM »
After Pilgrim's Run, stop at Cedar Springs brewery.  In the style of a Bavarian Bierhaus, in atmosphere, menu, and brewing style.

Second time this has been said to me now. On the list.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: July 08, 2022, 05:36:03 AM »
Ty!!  I remember it's honestly very simple ingredients.  I appreciate any recipe you might have!
Following up with this. Found a recipe for garlic soup in one of my cookbooks (The Family Meal by Ferran Adria). Ingredients for 2:
1/3 cup olive oil
4 slices country bread
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp mild paprika
1 3/4 cup chicken stock

It has pictures:  Fry the bread in half the oil, remove
Coarsley crush the garlic, fry in the other half of the oil, until golden, then add the paprika
Add the fried bread and chicken stock
Season with salt and pepper
Simmer for 20 minutes, then blend with a hand mixer

Top with a poached egg

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: July 08, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »
Anyone been to an all-inclusive they'd recommend in the last couple of years?

Looking at no more than 4-5 hour non-stopper flight out of ORD/MKE/MDW. DR, Cancun, Cabo, etc.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1510 on: July 08, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »
Anyone been to an all-inclusive they'd recommend in the last couple of years?

Looking at no more than 4-5 hour non-stopper flight out of ORD/MKE/MDW. DR, Cancun, Cabo, etc.

Wife and I honeymooned at Excellence Punta Cana. It was fantastic.

https://www.excellenceresorts.com/punta-cana/excellence-punta-cana/?gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEkgNHstWJlxXVHE1aGxK4e0Vbnp-gpD5cIk-5Yb3MKpfl744Cg9qSxRoCq5wQAvD_BwE
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: July 08, 2022, 01:44:13 PM »
When you were at GVSU, did you play the Meadows very often?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1512 on: July 08, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
When you were at GVSU, did you play the Meadows very often?

I was paid in tuition, room, and board. Does that answer your question?
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: July 08, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »
Indeed. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1514 on: July 08, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
Indeed.

Fun story though about the Meadows. One of my coworkers ended up getting himself fired for something he did at the Meadows. There's a clubhouse that serves well, not good food, but good for grad students food. Part of my compensation was an allocation of dining dollars and they actually worked at the Meadows clubhouse. Whenever my coworkers and I wanted an upgrade from dorm food (though GVSU's dining is one of the better ones that I've experienced) we'd head over to the Meadows for steaks. One of my coworkers got the bright idea of using his dining dollars to give the waiter at the Meadows a massive (4 digit) tip. The waiter than gave him the majority of the tip back in cash and pocketed a few hundred for himself as way to turn dining dollars into cash. I have no idea how he got caught but they bounced him from the program.
TAMU

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: July 08, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »
Fun story though about the Meadows. One of my coworkers ended up getting himself fired for something he did at the Meadows. There's a clubhouse that serves well, not good food, but good for grad students food. Part of my compensation was an allocation of dining dollars and they actually worked at the Meadows clubhouse. Whenever my coworkers and I wanted an upgrade from dorm food (though GVSU's dining is one of the better ones that I've experienced) we'd head over to the Meadows for steaks. One of my coworkers got the bright idea of using his dining dollars to give the waiter at the Meadows a massive (4 digit) tip. The waiter than gave him the majority of the tip back in cash and pocketed a few hundred for himself as way to turn dining dollars into cash. I have no idea how he got caught but they bounced him from the program.

Big numbers get caught, should have just gone more slowly.  ;D

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: July 08, 2022, 02:27:26 PM »
Anybody with good restaurant recommendations for Indianapolis (Carmel) and Louisville?  Going for work next week and other than one trip to Indianapolis around 20 years ago, have only ever driven through.

Thanks

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: July 08, 2022, 02:44:23 PM »
Anybody with good restaurant recommendations for Indianapolis (Carmel) and Louisville?  Going for work next week and other than one trip to Indianapolis around 20 years ago, have only ever driven through.

Thanks
The obvious-St Elmo's for steak/shrimp cocktail
Pizza-Diavola
Aside from that, what type of food?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
The obvious-St Elmo's for steak/shrimp cocktail
Pizza-Diavola
Aside from that, what type of food?
Yeah, did St. Elmo last time I was there many years ago. Would go again but curious about any other options closer to where I am staying.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: July 08, 2022, 03:07:55 PM »

Bwahahaha.   Kids.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: July 08, 2022, 04:19:04 PM »
Following up with this. Found a recipe for garlic soup in one of my cookbooks (The Family Meal by Ferran Adria). Ingredients for 2:
1/3 cup olive oil
4 slices country bread
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp mild paprika
1 3/4 cup chicken stock

It has pictures:  Fry the bread in half the oil, remove
Coarsley crush the garlic, fry in the other half of the oil, until golden, then add the paprika
Add the fried bread and chicken stock
Season with salt and pepper
Simmer for 20 minutes, then blend with a hand mixer

Top with a poached egg

Ty lawdog.  I like the idea of using the immersion blender.  I peeked at a few other recipes and they seem to generally have white wine in them.  I think I'll double the paprika and triple the garlic portion.  Also one recipe I saw baked the croutons in the oven with olive oil and paprika.  I think this makes the most sense.  I also think it has to be smoked paprika.   I'll figure it out.  Tyvm.  :)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: July 08, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »
Ty lawdog.  I like the idea of using the immersion blender.  I peeked at a few other recipes and they seem to generally have white wine in them.  I think I'll double the paprika and triple the garlic portion.  Also one recipe I saw baked the croutons in the oven with olive oil and paprika.  I think this makes the most sense.  I also think it has to be smoked paprika.   I'll figure it out.  Tyvm.  :)
My unsolicited advice. Try it how Ferran Adria makes it before messing with the recipe. I think he knows what he is talking about.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: July 08, 2022, 04:35:39 PM »
My unsolicited advice. Try it how Ferran Adria makes it before messing with the recipe. I think he knows what he is talking about.

Okay....fair enough.  I'll give it a whirl.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: July 08, 2022, 04:43:57 PM »

Does he though?  I guess El Bulli was ok.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1524 on: July 08, 2022, 07:15:44 PM »

Thanks

I just got back from a week in Louisville for my son’s travel baseball tournament. Surprisingly had a great meal at Against The Grain at Louisville Slugger Field. The restaurant is apart of the baseball stadium, but you can eat there at anytime (and don’t ever have to actually go in the stadium). We went to a Bats/Cubs game, and ate at Against The Grain afterwards. Fantastic beers and BBQ.

Also recommend Nord’s Bakery, Yelp recently came out with top 100 donut places in the US, and Nord’s was like 13th. It was really good.

feedback