[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198180 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1025 on: August 12, 2021, 11:17:48 PM »
Anyone done high speed trains in Italy?

They look like they are really something. And, are strikes a real threat nowadays?

They are nice.  I'd recommend them.

As for strikes, yes, but with the trains, its not always terrible.  The random WTF air traffic controller strikes in France and Spain over the last decade are far worse and far more spontaneous.  Don't even get me started on how much that has cost me.  A $100 EasyJet flight from Basel to London turned into a $750 Lufthansa flight through Munich cause France had a fun little strike one day and the entire country's airspace was out of commission.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: August 16, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
Have even more respect for United Airlines today as a result of their consideration.

As other posts have shown, my wife and I are headed to Italy in early October. We paid for two business class seats, round-trip via Frankfurt. The fare was $3,325 each when we booked last May.

In the past few days, United lowered the posted business class fair on United.Com to $2,200 round-trip. I saw it and immediately called the 1K desk trying to figure out how to take advantage of the lower fare. The agent looked and within a couple of seconds, acknowledged that the fare was quite a bit less expensive and issued us a flight credit for the difference.

I was pleasantly stunned. With no change penalty, we received over $2,200 in flight credits good until next May.

Hats off to United! It's why I fly United!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
Have even more respect for United Airlines today as a result of their consideration.

As other posts have shown, my wife and I are headed to Italy in early October. We paid for two business class seats, round-trip via Frankfurt. The fare was $3,325 each when we booked last May.

In the past few days, United lowered the posted business class fair on United.Com to $2,200 round-trip. I saw it and immediately called the 1K desk trying to figure out how to take advantage of the lower fare. The agent looked and within a couple of seconds, acknowledged that the fare was quite a bit less expensive and issued us a flight credit for the difference.

I was pleasantly stunned. With no change penalty, we received over $2,200 in flight credits good until next May.

Hats off to United! It's why I fly United!

I'm a fellow 1K as you know, so its not like I'm anti-United, however, they have no change fees for any flights originating in the US, and have been that way since COVID got rolling.  So good on the agent for doing it herself and being upfront about it, but you could have booked to a different flight or moved around and taken advantage of the lower fare given no change fees anymore  8-)

That being said, Ive been pleasantly surprised by the Scott Kirby-led United as of late.  They've been proactive and customer focused which is a nice change.  Being the first US airline to require employee vaccination is a good PR as well.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: August 16, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »
I'm a fellow 1K as you know, so its not like I'm anti-United, however, they have no change fees for any flights originating in the US, and have been that way since COVID got rolling.  So good on the agent for doing it herself and being upfront about it, but you could have booked to a different flight or moved around and taken advantage of the lower fare given no change fees anymore  8-)

That being said, Ive been pleasantly surprised by the Scott Kirby-led United as of late.  They've been proactive and customer focused which is a nice change.  Being the first US airline to require employee vaccination is a good PR as well.

I probably could have done it myself and it's theoretically easy to do. But, geez, ya never know how it will sort out digitally.

The agent was really nice about it.

I have mixed feelings about the Kirby-led United. I really appreciate the vaccination mandate and I see some of what you're saying. But, I also think they have used Covid-19 to get cheap at times. Not opening the United Clubs until recently and not opening Polaris lounges is kinda dumb.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: August 16, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
I probably could have done it myself and it's theoretically easy to do. But, geez, ya never know how it will sort out digitally.

The agent was really nice about it.

I have mixed feelings about the Kirby-led United. I really appreciate the vaccination mandate and I see some of what you're saying. But, I also think they have used Covid-19 to get cheap at times. Not opening the United Clubs until recently and not opening Polaris lounges is kinda dumb.

I think all major US airlines are doing this for non basic economy airfares. I know Delta is.
As for doing it via agent rather than electronically, I am right there with you. So many times I have had them make changes where it should be straight forward, yet isn't.

Enjoy your trip, it is a great time of year to see Italy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: August 19, 2021, 09:34:11 AM »

They look like they are really something. And, are strikes a real threat nowadays?

The trains are great.  Used them in Nov 2019 to crisscross the country.  On time, clean, simple.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: August 26, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »
Has anyone been to Easter Island?  Can you get MU games there?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: September 16, 2021, 03:54:53 PM »
Has anyone spent much time in Atlanta?  I've been there but it's been awhile.  Restaurants?  Any recommendations besides the Aquarium?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: September 16, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »
Has anyone spent much time in Atlanta?  I've been there but it's been awhile.  Restaurants?  Any recommendations besides the Aquarium?

If you don't have a car, just bum around downtown.  The city is a sprawling mess.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1034 on: September 16, 2021, 06:24:33 PM »

I've done the high speed trains, and they're great. But I question how Italian they are, since they always seem to be on time...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: September 16, 2021, 07:00:45 PM »
If you don't have a car, just bum around downtown.  The city is a sprawling mess.

Okay.  Ty HA.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: September 16, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »
Where are you staying and do you have a car? 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: September 16, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
Where are you staying and do you have a car?

Loews Atlanta.  I think it's in Midtown?  I can get a car if neccessary.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: September 16, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »

Take the train from the airport to the Midtown station (unless you need a car otherwise). I always hit up The Varsity, but I’m a sucker for those kinds of places.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: September 16, 2021, 08:11:16 PM »
Yes that’s midtown which is good. Lot’s of restaurants and cool neighborhoods around there. I will throw out a few types of places/locations. Wouldn’t hurt to have a car but all of the below are walkable or a short Uber ride away.

CAVEAT:  I haven’t been down to that area since pre-COVID so I think these all of these places are all still around but not really sure tbh.

JCT Kitchen - great restaurant and rooftop bar with city view
Piedmont Park / Park Tavern - well-known park with good spot to drink outside if weather is nice (and you like dogs)
South City Kitchen
Nan Thai
The Vortex - Atlanta institution for burgers
College football hall of fame
World of Coke
Ponce City Market- converted Sears warehouse building with multiple restaurants/drinking spots both outside and in. Rooftop bar/mini golf is pretty cool. Also located on the BeltLine which is a 20+ mile system of former railways which are now walking trails. Lots of cool restaurants and a good brewery are right there.
Rathbun’s Steak
Virginia highlands neighborhood
Inman Park neighborhood

Without knowing how much time you are spending and interests, the above is a good starting point to get out and explore and have some good eats. If I had to pick two of the above it would be Piedmont Park and Ponce City Market/beltline for good Atlanta experiences.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: September 16, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »
Take the train from the airport to the Midtown station (unless you need a car otherwise). I always hit up The Varsity, but I’m a sucker for those kinds of places.
No bueno

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: September 16, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
Yes that’s midtown which is good. Lot’s of restaurants and cool neighborhoods around there. I will throw out a few types of places/locations. Wouldn’t hurt to have a car but all of the below are walkable or a short Uber ride away.

CAVEAT:  I haven’t been down to that area since pre-COVID so I think these all of these places are all still around but not really sure tbh.

JCT Kitchen - great restaurant and rooftop bar with city view
Piedmont Park / Park Tavern - well-known park with good spot to drink outside if weather is nice (and you like dogs)
South City Kitchen
Nan Thai
The Vortex - Atlanta institution for burgers
College football hall of fame
World of Coke
Ponce City Market- converted Sears warehouse building with multiple restaurants/drinking spots both outside and in. Rooftop bar/mini golf is pretty cool. Also located on the BeltLine which is a 20+ mile system of former railways which are now walking trails. Lots of cool restaurants and a good brewery are right there.
Rathbun’s Steak
Virginia highlands neighborhood
Inman Park neighborhood

Without knowing how much time you are spending and interests, the above is a good starting point to get out and explore and have some good eats. If I had to pick two of the above it would be Piedmont Park and Ponce City Market/beltline for good Atlanta experiences.

Tyvm!!  I will have about 1.5 or 2  days where I'm free.  Are the restaurants in Buckhead any better than Midtown?  I noticed a Greek place that looked good.  That Ponce City Market sounds very cool.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: September 16, 2021, 08:20:10 PM »
Was it Kyma?  Was there once but we’ll over ten years ago. Was fantastic then.

Honestly, Atlanta is known for having TONS of good and mostly affordable restaurants. It is hard to go wrong.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: September 16, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »
Was it Kyma?  Was there once but we’ll over ten years ago. Was fantastic then.

Honestly, Atlanta is known for having TONS of good and mostly affordable restaurants. It is hard to go wrong.

Yes!   Kyma!  I thought the menu was impressive.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: September 16, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »
Yes.  There appear to be a ton of excellent dining options.  Brunch thoughts on a Sat?  Ty.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: September 16, 2021, 08:33:40 PM »
Einsteins
Flying biscuit
South city kitchen

All are very good

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: September 16, 2021, 08:37:14 PM »
Einsteins
Flying biscuit
South city kitchen

All are very good

Sounds great.  I may have to do double workouts when I get home!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: September 16, 2021, 11:01:53 PM »
Tyvm!!  I will have about 1.5 or 2  days where I'm free.  Are the restaurants in Buckhead any better than Midtown?  I noticed a Greek place that looked good.  That Ponce City Market sounds very cool.
Ponce is worth it for sure. Check out Biltong  Bar there, a South African jerky place.
Also, if you are comfortable with MARTa, there are some great restaurants and bars in Decatur. Brick Store Pub is a legendary beer bar.
I spend a ton of time in Atlanta. When I get in front of a computer, I’ll throw out more suggestions.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: September 16, 2021, 11:03:06 PM »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2021, 06:22:03 AM »
Es la verdad!
It is an Atlanta institution…but gross IMO

feedback