[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1933133 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #7150 on: August 15, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
It's most definitely been the summer of the seltzer.  Press, White Claw, Smirnoff, Truly, Henry's, Svedka.  They're not all going to make it, especially when summer turns to fall.  Not surprised that many here don't like them as they seem to be targeted towards the demographic of female ages 21-30.  What I can't figure out is if natty light released theirs to troll, or if they actually expect them to sell.

Maybe they will go retro and call one Bartles and Jaymes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7151 on: August 15, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
It's most definitely been the summer of the seltzer.  Press, White Claw, Smirnoff, Truly, Henry's, Svedka.  They're not all going to make it, especially when summer turns to fall.  Not surprised that many here don't like them as they seem to be targeted towards the demographic of female ages 21-30.  What I can't figure out is if natty light released theirs to troll, or if they actually expect them to sell.

I think you're off base on the viability of hard seltzer. Their true target is light beer drinkers LDAC - 30 not just females. The only reason people drank light beer was because it was either less calories, filling (bloat), carbs, taste, etc that actual beer but allowed them to drink a bunch and catch a buzz. No one drank light beer because you actual think it's a really good beer. Now you can get something that 1) tastes better 2) has less calories 3) gluten free 4) doesn't bloat you like light beer 5) has a better alcohol to calorie ratio. You can still pound a few, play beer pong, whatever you want without having to have crap light beer.

This is more a generational shift than something that will happen large and fast but will be seen heavily in the next few years as younger drinkers come into the market. It's better to think of dextrose fermented beverages (which hard seltzer is one of) as the light beer for the new generation. I mean dextrose fermentation was invented because the founder of Spiked Seltzer was sick of his wife bringing glass bottles of vodka on his boat.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7152 on: August 15, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
40 year old broads cant get enough of the white claw either.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7153 on: August 15, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
I think you're off base on the viability of hard seltzer. Their true target is light beer drinkers LDAC - 30 not just females. The only reason people drank light beer was because it was either less calories, filling (bloat), carbs, taste, etc that actual beer but allowed them to drink a bunch and catch a buzz. No one drank light beer because you actual think it's a really good beer. Now you can get something that 1) tastes better 2) has less calories 3) gluten free 4) doesn't bloat you like light beer 5) has a better alcohol to calorie ratio. You can still pound a few, play beer pong, whatever you want without having to have crap light beer.

This is more a generational shift than something that will happen large and fast but will be seen heavily in the next few years as younger drinkers come into the market. It's better to think of dextrose fermented beverages (which hard seltzer is one of) as the light beer for the new generation. I mean dextrose fermentation was invented because the founder of Spiked Seltzer was sick of his wife bringing glass bottles of vodka on his boat.

The difference is that light beer is seen as an option 365.  I have no doubt that next summer the seltzers will roar back, but I don't foresee too many people drinking pear chamomile Press in January.  While that inevitable drop is happening, companies that are exclusively seltzer will suffer, while Natty or Smirnoff will just take it out of rotation and make something else.  I have no problem with drinking it myself, and there are some good sip 'n fill combos out there, but I see this as the "summer version" of when every single brewery made a bourbon barrel aged beer during the winter months.  If everyone is doing it, it's not unique.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7154 on: August 15, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Their true target is light beer drinkers LDAC - 30 not just females. The only reason people drank light beer was because it was either less calories, filling (bloat), carbs, taste, etc that actual beer but allowed them to drink a bunch and catch a buzz.

I think one reason for the popularity of the hard seltzers is that they are very low carb.  Lots of people are limiting carbs, and these provide an alcoholic option.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7155 on: August 15, 2019, 01:03:26 PM »
The difference is that light beer is seen as an option 365.  I have no doubt that next summer the seltzers will roar back, but I don't foresee too many people drinking pear chamomile Press in January.  While that inevitable drop is happening, companies that are exclusively seltzer will suffer, while Natty or Smirnoff will just take it out of rotation and make something else.  I have no problem with drinking it myself, and there are some good sip 'n fill combos out there, but I see this as the "summer version" of when every single brewery made a bourbon barrel aged beer during the winter months.  If everyone is doing it, it's not unique.

You're still looking at it wrong - there is a segment of drinkers who now view this as a 365 beverage - just like light beer. I was just reading a research presentation a few weeks ago on it at work it it's all lining up. Your 21-27 drinkers are skewing beer for wine and spirits in droves. And what seltzers do is provide beverage experience that can match that of wine and spirits but in an approachable package.

Many of the same things people are saying today about dextrose beverage were said about light beer in the earlier 80s. Maybe White Claw just needs to get Uecker in commercials.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7156 on: August 15, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
You're still looking at it wrong - there is a segment of drinkers who now view this as a 365 beverage - just like light beer. I was just reading a research presentation a few weeks ago on it at work it it's all lining up. Your 21-27 drinkers are skewing beer for wine and spirits in droves. And what seltzers do is provide beverage experience that can match that of wine and spirits but in an approachable package.

Many of the same things people are saying today about dextrose beverage were said about light beer in the earlier 80s. Maybe White Claw just needs to get Uecker in commercials.

In not disagreeing that seltzer is becoming the new "stock" drink for certain demographics, I just think that it will be much more seasonal than when light beer burst onto the stage.  Maybe it's just that I'm still Milwaukee based, but Miller products seem to do fine at just about any time of the year.  Whereas when your advertising campaign is focused on "exotic" flavors you're gonna take a dip when the temps drop.  Mango is traditionally not a big winter flavor.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:11:09 PM by Its DJOver »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7157 on: August 15, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
Mango is traditionally not a big winter flavor.

Pumpkin Spice Hard Seltzer?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7158 on: August 15, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Pumpkin Spice Hard Seltzer?

Apple pie, peppermint, etc. if La croix can sell a cola flavored one then hard seltzer can sell seasonal flavors
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7159 on: August 15, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
So apparently the hottest new food writer is a guy who tweets out reviews of apples:

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/enjoy-these-heirloom-apple-reviews-by-author-chuck-wend-1837278182
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7160 on: August 15, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
So apparently the hottest new food writer is a guy who tweets out reviews of apples:

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/enjoy-these-heirloom-apple-reviews-by-author-chuck-wend-1837278182

At its core, Scoop has been scooped, hey?

Let's own pear content then.  How about them Anjous?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7161 on: August 15, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
At its core, Scoop has been scooped, hey?

Let's own pear content then.  How about them Anjous?
pears are like eating an apple that fell into the sand at the beach. Especially the Bosc pears

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7162 on: August 15, 2019, 05:10:21 PM »

Can't wait to see if he reviews Red Delicious.

"The consistency of a finely aged styrofoam ball that has been batted about the room by your golden retriever, and a splash of the resplendent aroma of slightly sweetened low-weight motor oil. The taste can best be described as mystifyingly unsatisfying, with a tendency to induce a not-so-subtle gag as you attempt to swallow. The whole experience is followed by a bilious taste that lingers on the palate. This is a "go f yourself" apple, not a "do you wanna f?" apple."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7163 on: August 15, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »

Can't wait to see if he reviews Red Delicious.

"The consistency of a finely aged styrofoam ball that has been batted about the room by your golden retriever, and a splash of the resplendent aroma of slightly sweetened low-weight motor oil. The taste can best be described as mystifyingly unsatisfying, with a tendency to induce a not-so-subtle gag as you attempt to swallow. The whole experience is followed by a bilious taste that lingers on the palate. This is a "go f yourself" apple, not a "do you wanna f?" apple."

Pure poetry

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7164 on: August 15, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
Apples should only be consumed with Nutella.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7165 on: August 15, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »
I needed a drink after reading through the HK thread.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7166 on: August 16, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »
I needed a drink after reading through the HK thread.

I liked it, especially all the political posts. Reading it and not chiming in with my 3 cents let me work on my willpower and discipline.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7167 on: August 16, 2019, 06:20:31 AM »
Yeah, I got to know a few more people...Who probably don’t want to see Christmas cards from me
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7168 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
I liked it, especially all the political posts. Reading it and not chiming in with my 3 cents let me work on my willpower and discipline.

[Somebody help me here with a gif of the baby steps scene from Deadpool 2]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7169 on: August 16, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
[Somebody help me here with a gif of the baby steps scene from Deadpool 2]

I need to see Deadpool 2 so I can get the reference. Enjoyed 1, though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7170 on: August 16, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Yeah, I got to know a few more people...Who probably don’t want to see Christmas cards from me

I think it merely reinforced existing perceptions and reinforced why a politics board is a bad idea.   Nobody changed their mind.  A bunch of people ended up more pissed off at each other than before.   Just another thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #7171 on: August 16, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »
I think it merely reinforced existing perceptions and reinforced why a politics board is a bad idea.   Nobody changed their mind.  A bunch of people ended up more pissed off at each other than before.   Just another thread.

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7172 on: August 16, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »

Those of us that stayed out of the fray learned something.   At least I did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7173 on: August 16, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
Those of us that stayed out of the fray learned something.   At least I did.

Ditto. Although I think it confirmed more things than showed us anything we hadn't seen before.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7174 on: August 16, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
Ditto. Although I think it confirmed more things than showed us anything we hadn't seen before.

Yes, a lot of things were confirmed.  But I try to remind myself that I only see a small part of a Scooper's personality on Scoop.