'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1941718 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #3800 on: July 24, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
Anyone into CoQ10?

Due da grain-free thang, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3801 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
Best evidence is improvement of congestive heart failure, but there is also evidence of lowering BP, slowing the symptoms of early Parkinson’s, and helping with migraines.

It’s generally quite safe, so I’ve pondered seeing if it helps my BP.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-coenzyme-q10/art-20362602
I'm assuming y'all have your fitness, weight and diet in check before leaning on supplements.  I'm not a physician but, if your BMI is in good shape (if you don't know your BMI look up a hight/weight/age/BMI chart.  Spoiler....you're not as lean as you think you are and neither am i) then look at supplements, otherwise it's a temporary fix at best.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3802 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
I'm assuming y'all have your fitness, weight and diet in check before leaning on supplements.  I'm not a physician but, if your BMI is in good shape (if you don't know your BMI look up a hight/weight/age/BMI chart.  Spoiler....you're not as lean as you think you are and neither am i) then look at supplements, otherwise it's a temporary fix at best.

Totally with you there.

I’m 5’9”, 155lbs and I workout daily. Lots of lean protein, fruits and veggies in my diet. My doc says I’m doing pretty much as much as I can without giving up chocolate chip cookies...and that ain’t gonna happen.   :D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3803 on: July 24, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Totally with you there.

I’m 5’9”, 155lbs and I workout daily. Lots of lean protein, fruits and veggies in my diet. My doc says I’m doing pretty much as much as I can without giving up chocolate chip cookies...and that ain’t gonna happen.   :D

155? I've got turds that weigh that much.   ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3804 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:36 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3805 on: July 25, 2018, 05:20:42 AM »

do they still use bmi as a reference?  i thought they were abandoning it for something a little more realistic. 
   about 20 years ago when i had A LOT more spring in my step,  at 6'0'' i weighed 215-220 and people were asking me if i was ok.  i was in some of the best shape of my life since high school and i was considered "over weight with a bmi of around 29.  i was actually pretty buff and didn't even look close to being over weight.  i was working out 5x/week.  cardio, weights, etc...i'd consider giving my left one to be back at that, but according to the bmi, i'm still a "fatso"  if that was overweight, i'd have to say that 95% of society is grossly way way overweight.  in order to even be at the high end of healthy, i would have had to have been around 180-seriously??  at 180,  people would have been giving me the scraps off their plate, donating food to me   
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3806 on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:48 AM »
do they still use bmi as a reference?  i thought they were abandoning it for something a little more realistic. 
   about 20 years ago when i had A LOT more spring in my step,  at 6'0'' i weighed 215-220 and people were asking me if i was ok.  i was in some of the best shape of my life since high school and i was considered "over weight with a bmi of around 29.  i was actually pretty buff and didn't even look close to being over weight.  i was working out 5x/week.  cardio, weights, etc...i'd consider giving my left one to be back at that, but according to the bmi, i'm still a "fatso"  if that was overweight, i'd have to say that 95% of society is grossly way way overweight.  in order to even be at the high end of healthy, i would have had to have been around 180-seriously??  at 180,  people would have been giving me the scraps off their plate, donating food to me

BMI is just a quick and dirty calculation if you aren't able to determine body fat percentage. Based on BMI, most NFL players would be considered obese.

Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3807 on: July 25, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
BMI is just a quick and dirty calculation if you aren't able to determine body fat percentage. Based on BMI, most NFL players would be considered obese.

Is it true that the only way to accurately pinpoint %age or qty of body fat is via submersion tank?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3808 on: July 25, 2018, 03:28:55 PM »
Is it true that the only way to accurately pinpoint %age or qty of body fat is via submersion tank?

Depends on what margin of error you are willing to live with.

I would say that using calipers are close enough for most folks who want to measure it for general health reasons.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3809 on: July 25, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »

+1

I had a friend who did bodybuilding as a hobby. Competed in shows, really got into it. He was obese by BMI standards despite being the most ripped human I've ever seen in person. Comparing weight to height is a sketchy measurement because muscle weighs more than fat, so heavily muscled people will be just as "obese" as people with excess fat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3810 on: July 25, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
+1

I had a friend who did bodybuilding as a hobby. Competed in shows, really got into it. He was obese by BMI standards despite being the most ripped human I've ever seen in person. Comparing weight to height is a sketchy measurement because muscle weighs more than fat, so heavily muscled people will be just as "obese" as people with excess fat.

You would have to be an idiot to use it as a stand-alone.  There are way too many other factors involved.

Glow jr. was always on the skinny-looking side, but in those percentile measurements they do at the pediatrician's office, his weight percentile was always significantly higher than his height percentile (like 40 points).  The doctor would give me the side-eye as he read them to me.  I would respond with, "Look at him!  You can see his ribs!" 

I am still convinced that it was because of the weight of his skull.  Kid had the hardest head (literally) of any human being I have known.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:55:41 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3811 on: July 25, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »

You would have to be an idiot to use it as a stand-alone.  There are way too many other factors involved.

Yep. It’s a decent, cheap and easy screening tool, but nothing more. Any competent doc would take into account many other factors before concluding anything from just that number.

Fortunately, other than a slightly elevated BP, most of my other measurables for cardiovascular health are fine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3812 on: July 25, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Glad I got rid of my Facebook stock a few weeks ago. I thought it was getting a bit overpriced, but the reaction to the post-market numbers and news conferences have been pretty dramatic. Down 20% last I saw. Maybe a buying opportunity…

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3813 on: July 25, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »
2008 civic. Need to test high pressure switch for ac.  Anyone try jumping switch?

Real question is....does it have 2 wires or three?  If three, which two do I jump???

Not sure you want to jump:

1) I wouldn't bypass unless you know the switch is bad.  If your AC clutch is dropping out because pressure is too high or low, fix that, not the switch.  Only way to know is with a set of manifold gauges.

2) I think most R-134 systems have triple pressure switches, i.e. combination high/low pressure switches, that measure on resistance; so even if you're trying to test the switch, jumping the circuit (0 ohm) will probably be read as a malfunction/fault, which won't do you any good.  At the very least, you'd have to use a resistor with the same resistance that corresponds to a pressure within the spec range.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3814 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
Yep. It’s a decent, cheap and easy screening tool, but nothing more. Any competent doc would take into account many other factors before concluding anything from just that number.

Fortunately, other than a slightly elevated BP, most of my other measurables for cardiovascular health are fine.
totally agree but the vast majority of Americans are not 155, physically fit, and eat a balanced diet let alone consult with a Dr on how to move towards a level of fitness that would be even close to 'healthy'.  Just like there are may diets with pros and cons to each, there are many measures and each has its limitations. 

The majority of people fool themselves into thinking they are in shape or not overweight by comparing themselves to their peer group, of which, 33% of the adult population is obese and another 40% is overweight.  The portion of the 75% of adults that don't have socioeconomic barriers to obtaining healthy food need to pick a metric, any metric, and use it to improve their health.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3815 on: July 25, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
totally agree but the vast majority of Americans are not 155, physically fit, and eat a balanced diet let alone consult with a Dr on how to move towards a level of fitness that would be even close to 'healthy'.  Just like there are may diets with pros and cons to each, there are many measures and each has its limitations. 

The majority of people fool themselves into thinking they are in shape or not overweight by comparing themselves to their peer group, of which, 33% of the adult population is obese and another 40% is overweight.  The portion of the 75% of adults that don't have socioeconomic barriers to obtaining healthy food need to pick a metric, any metric, and use it to improve their health.

Agree completely. I would never advocate getting rid of quick and easy measures like BMI. Imperfect, but it clearly serves a useful purpose.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3816 on: July 25, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »
Agree completely. I would never advocate getting rid of quick and easy measures like BMI. Imperfect, but it clearly serves a useful purpose.

If you get rid of BMI, then you have to get rid of Arby’s.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3817 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
Was Ann-Margret the 1st celebrity in the 20th century to not use a last name professionally?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:44:30 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3818 on: July 26, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »
Was Ann-Margret the 1st celebrity to not use a last name prefessionally?

Pebbles?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3819 on: July 26, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Was Ann-Margret the 1st celebrity to not use a last name prefessionally?

Eve

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #3820 on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3821 on: July 26, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
Was Ann-Margret the 1st celebrity in the 20th century to not use a last name professionally?

Liberace

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3822 on: July 26, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
Pebbles?

Ann-Margret started before Pebbles and I'd wager you knew Pebbles last name but not necessarily Ann-Margret's.

So far 1 answer found: a French actress named Annabella.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3823 on: July 26, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »
Opted for 2 beef and cheddars for lunch today, instead of the beef and cheddar meal.  Plus an orange shake.  (just wasn't feeling the curly fry vibe today)

Verdict:  serious gut rot, dry heaves and meat sweats.

Eat at Arby's.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3824 on: July 26, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
Opted for 2 beef and cheddars for lunch today, instead of the beef and cheddar meal.  Plus an orange shake.  (just wasn't feeling the curly fry vibe today)

Verdict:  serious gut rot, dry heaves and meat sweats.

Eat at Arby's.

Sounds like a natural expansion of their advertising campaign:  "Arby's!  You'll Get the Meat (Sweats)!"

Honestly, I think that would play pretty well with the Arby's crowd.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback