Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8724816 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9800 on: October 04, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
As TAMU said, I couldn't disagree more with the bolded.  The influx of talent Marquette has seen in the last 2 years has been really impressive and I think with the commitment of Joey we're now right around that Sweet Sixteen range when he, Bailey, Froling, Morrow all hit the court: our ceiling with Jae, DJO, Jimmy.  Throw in a Grimes, Ramey, or Simons and we are comfortably ahead of 5-6 years ago, IMO.

I would like to point out that none of the players mentioned have suited up for us. We’ve seen Morrow be great at Nebraska and Froling is all a guess that he should be good when he’s in shape.

Remember the 2013 class? It was the highest rated in mu history (of national rankings and such don’t come at me with old time rankings)  then we added fischer and made it higher.  That class made one NCAA tournament so let’s pump the breaks a bit before proclaiming it better than three of the best players in MU history.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9801 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
I would like to point out that none of the players mentioned have suited up for us. We’ve seen Morrow be great at Nebraska and Froling is all a guess that he should be good when he’s in shape.

Remember the 2013 class? It was the highest rated in mu history (of national rankings and such don’t come at me with old time rankings)  then we added fischer and made it higher.  That class made one NCAA tournament so let’s pump the breaks a bit before proclaiming it better than three of the best players in MU history.

They also committed to one coach and ended up with a different coach, which resulted in many of them leaving the school and not even being part of our one NCAA Tournament in that time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9802 on: October 04, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
They also committed to one coach and ended up with a different coach, which resulted in many of them leaving the school and not even being part of our one NCAA Tournament in that time.

Fair enough, it’s not a perfect comparison but still i would pump the breaks on the “we’re on the verge of surpassing that DJO, Jimmy, Jae era”
Maigh Eo for Sam

onepost

• All American
« Reply #9803 on: October 04, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Fair enough, it’s not a perfect comparison but still i would pump the breaks on the “we’re on the verge of surpassing that DJO, Jimmy, Jae era”

The initial post said "if we don't get Grimes we will be well behind where we were 5-6 years ago."
I thought that was an absolutely ridiculous take, and pointed out that our ceiling with said three of the best players to come through MU was the Sweet Sixteen.  Obviously the Elite Eight the year after, but the point remains we were a "second weekend" team.  I think the current group going into 2018-2019 is a "second weekend" team.

My choice of words in "comfortably ahead" could have been tempered, and you're right that it's anyone's guess what guys like Froling, Cain, Theo, Elliot come to be.  But in talking to people who are at practice every single day and hearing their substantial optimism about Froling, Cain, Theo, etc., in addition to proven upperclass commodities in Hauser, Morrow, and Howard (and to a lesser extent Haanif) and a recruit in Joey, I am very bullish on MUBB.  Also, comparing this group coming in to Buzz' 2013 group is apples and oranges: as was stated we never once got to see McKay, saw Deonte for 1 year, and Duane for 3 with a completely different scheme than what he'd signed up for.  Their surrounding talent after Buzz left was decimated and couldn't hold a candle to what group these guys are joining.  To make a "one NCCA bid" quip is unfair.  That, and I don't care what Deonte, Duane, Jajuan's rankings were, none of those 3 are in the small ballpark as Joey Hauser.

Finally, you add a Quentin Grimes into the mix, arguably the best recruit Marquette has ever had if he commits (*knocking on wood*), and IMO you're looking at a Final Four-caliber team.  Impossible to guess how things play out once the Dance comes but that's a Final Four/"third weekend" team in my mind, hence it "surpassing" our prior Sweet Sixteen teams.  That's my logic.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:38:20 PM by onepostgrimes »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9804 on: October 04, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
We had everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose going after Grimes.

Did we "lose" some money from our recruiting budget? I suppose, but that doesn't appear to be a problem at Marquette. So otherwise, what did we have to lose?

Those who play poker know this really isn't an all-in bet. In poker, if you go all-in and get beaten by an opponent, you have lost everything. I like to think even the most pessimistic Scooper out there won't think all is lost if we don't get Grimes.

It was more of a full-court press than an all-in bet. And sometimes - often, in fact, even for the best teams - a full-court press doesn't succeed.

It was worth the full-court press effort on Grimes. I hope it pays off.

As an aside, although I'm too lazy to go back and check, I seem to recall these exact same kind of posts - some with almost the exact same wording - regarding our recruitment of Joey just a few months back.

We HAD to get Joey if we were going to be elite again. Now, I guess, we HAVE to get Grimes so we can be what? Secret-double-elite?

I will not be "crushed," not even close. I was crushed when I found out my dad had cancer. This is just basketball, not real life.

1. Declarative statement backed up by nothing.

2.Whoops, so it did cost us time, effort and money. AND our team won't be as good without him. So we most definitely DO have something to lose.

3. I actually have played a lot of poker and the analogy fits. We're "all in" for this particular recruiting battle just like a poker player is all in for a particular poker game. Win and the pot (Grimes) is yours. Lose and go home empty handed. But a poker player's career isn't OVER because of a big loss - just diminished. Same goes for our basketball team.

4. I prefer the "all in" analogy to the "full court press" one, but to say that basketball strategies don't have upside or downside to them is wrong. When employed, there's something to gain and something to lose if you're keeping score.

5. Joey was a huge get for us - but the deck was stacked somewhat in our favor. With QG it's fair to say the deck is stacked somewhat against us. And he's a PG. And he's a 5*. He would be the final piece in the puzzle, the most important (IMO) recruit in Wojo's era. Maybe we had to get Joey to have a CHANCE to be top 10 but adding QG to what we have would make that chance a likelihood.

6. Your Dad's cancer, my brother's suicide, etc., etc. - I would have thought it would go without saying that real life tragedy trumps basketball.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:16:45 PM by Quentin's Tap »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9805 on: October 04, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
The initial post said "if we don't get Grimes we will be well behind where we were 5-6 years ago."
I thought that was an absolutely ridiculous take, and pointed out that our ceiling with said three of the best players to come through MU was the Sweet Sixteen.  Obviously the Elite Eight the year after, but the point remains we were a "second weekend" team.  I think the current group going into 2018-2019 is a "second weekend" team.

My choice of words in "comfortably ahead" could have been tempered, and you're right that it's anyone's guess what guys like Froling, Cain, Theo, Elliot come to be.  But in talking to people who are at practice every single day and hearing their substantial optimism about Froling, Cain, Theo, etc., in addition to proven upperclass commodities in Hauser, Morrow, and Howard (and to a lesser extent Haanif) and a recruit in Joey, I am very bullish on MUBB.  Also, comparing this group coming in to Buzz' 2013 group is apples and oranges: as was stated we never once got to see McKay, saw Deonte for 1 year, and Duane for 3 with a completely different scheme than what he'd signed up for.  To make a "one NCCA bid" quip is unfair.  That, and I don't care what Deonte, Duane, Jajuan's rankings were, none of those 3 are in the small ballpark as Joey Hauser.

Finally, you add a Quentin Grimes into the mix, arguably the best recruit Marquette has ever had if he commits (*knocking on wood*), and IMO you're looking at a Final Four team.  Impossible to guess how things play out once the Dance comes but that's a Final Four/"third weekend" team in my mind, hence it "surpassing" our prior Sweet Sixteens.
This in the end may be true, but right now Joey Hauser is an unproven talent.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #9806 on: October 04, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
This in the end may be true, but right now Joey Hauser is an unproven talent.

Fine, if I can't project than were in the same ballpark while being recruited as high school players as Joey*.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9807 on: October 04, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »

Finally, you add a Quentin Grimes into the mix, arguably the best recruit Marquette has ever had if he commits (*knocking on wood*), and IMO you're looking at a Final Four-caliber team.  Impossible to guess how things play out once the Dance comes but that's a Final Four/"third weekend" team in my mind, hence it "surpassing" our prior Sweet Sixteen teams.  That's my logic.

I've been banging the drum forever that QG is huge for us.

But NO WAY is he the best recruit MU has ever had. You obviously aren't familiar with our history.

Everyone is freaking out because I said without QG we will be "well behind" where we were when we went S16, S16, E8 back to back to back from 2010- 2011 to 2012-2013. We won 7 NCAA tourney games in those 3 years. If QG goes elsewhere I'll take under 7 NCAA wins from 2018-19 to 2020-21. Takers?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9808 on: October 04, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
But a poker player's career isn't OVER because of a big loss - just diminished. Same goes for our basketball team.

This is the only part I really disagree with.  The recruitment of Quentin Grimes can only help our program at this point. We don't become lesser than we currently are if we miss on QG. We miss the opportunity to become better than we currently are.

Missing on QG doesn't makes us worse. It keeps us where we currently are. Getting him could mean taking us to another level. A true low risk high reward situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9809 on: October 04, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
1. Declarative statement backed up by nothing.

2.Whoops, so it did cost us time, effort and money. AND our team won't be as good without him. So we most definitely DO have something to lose.

3. I actually have played a lot of poker and the analogy fits. We're "all in" for this particular recruiting battle just like a poker player is all in for a particular poker game. Win and the pot (Grimes) is yours. Lose and go home empty handed. But a poker player's career isn't OVER because of a big loss - just diminished. Same goes for our basketball team.

4. I prefer the "all in" analogy to the "full court press" one, but to say that basketball strategies don't have upside or downside to them is wrong. When employed, there's something to gain and something to lose if you're keeping score.

5. Joey was a huge get for us - but the deck was stacked somewhat in our favor. With QG it's fair to say the deck is stacked somewhat against us. And he's a PG. And he's a 5*. He would be the final piece in the puzzle, the most important (IMO) recruit in Wojo's era. Maybe we had to get Joey to have a CHANCE to be top 10 but adding QG to what we have would make that chance a likelihood.

6. Your Dad's cancer, my brother's suicide, etc., etc. - I would have thought it would go without saying that real life tragedy trumps basketball.

We disagree on much of this, and that's cool. Have a good one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9810 on: October 04, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »

My choice of words in "comfortably ahead" could have been tempered, and you're right that it's anyone's guess what guys like Froling, Cain, Theo, Elliot come to be.  But in talking to people who are at practice every single day and hearing their substantial optimism about Froling, Cain, Theo, etc., in addition to proven upperclass commodities in Hauser, Morrow, and Howard (and to a lesser extent Haanif) and a recruit in Joey, I am very bullish on MUBB.  Also, comparing this group coming in to Buzz' 2013 group is apples and oranges: as was stated we never once got to see McKay, saw Deonte for 1 year, and Duane for 3 with a completely different scheme than what he'd signed up for.  Their surrounding talent after Buzz left was decimated and couldn't hold a candle to what group these guys are joining.  To make a "one NCCA bid" quip is unfair.  That, and I don't care what Deonte, Duane, Jajuan's rankings were, none of those 3 are in the small ballpark as Joey Hauser.

I agree that take is idiotic. We have a great cake QG is icing. That being said our “ceiling” was not the sweet 16, maybe specifically for that 2011 team but the 2012 team was FF caliber and essentially needed someone big (Otule) to block out Young on Florida and we would’ve had a nice shot at the FF.

As I said it’s not a perfect comparison but I still don’t want everyone to be all “the sky is falling” next year. I remember when one of Cracked Sidewalks Anonymous Eagle or Paint Touches mentioned how Jamil Wilson was other worldly and the last time they heard rumblings like this about a practice player was Wade. Jamil certainly was not Wade.

Anyways I don’t want to derail the thread anymore but it seems like people are all yelling buy buy buy for 2018-2019 without remembering loads of recruits that didn’t pan out, and times injuries derailed us (James, Otule)
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9811 on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
Stan going to Houston

His tweet included a plane, basketball, 5 stars, prayer and a thinking emoji.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9812 on: October 04, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
Stan going to Houston

Beat me to it

Stan Johnson @MUCoachJohnson
1m
HOUSTON bound!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9813 on: October 04, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
QG seems to be a great prospect and would be a fantastic recruiting win for MU.
But there seems to be some overdramatization of what it all means.
MU has been "all in" on better recruits before, lost them (see: Brian Butch, Michael Snaer, Iman Shumpert) and survived just fine. The same will be true if Grimes chooses Kansas or Kentucky.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9814 on: October 04, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Old Redford Academy/The Family duo Rocket Watts (2019 PG) & Isaiah Jackson (2020 F) are visiting Marquette Friday, then U of M Saturday.

https://twitter.com/braedenp_3/status/915663099956428802

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9815 on: October 04, 2017, 04:57:35 PM »
Old Redford Academy/The Family duo Rocket Watts (2019 PG) & Isaiah Jackson (2020 F) are visiting Marquette Friday, then U of M Saturday.

https://twitter.com/braedenp_3/status/915663099956428802

I don't care if he's terrible, I want Rocket Watts on my team.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9816 on: October 04, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »
I don't care if he's terrible, I want Rocket Watts on my team.

Fortunately you wouldn’t have to make that sacrifice—he’s pretty good. It seems like we might have an OK chance at either him or Devion Harmon for a point guard in the ‘19 class.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9817 on: October 04, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »

Next year, MU will have 10 kids back, add Morrow who I thought was one of the best players on Nebraska's team.  I remember watching him and hearing he was from
Simeon, same school as Jabari, wondering why he went to Nebraska, a non traditional basketball school, and why did MU not recruit him?  Parents, understand.  Now
add Joey and maybe Bailey.  Grimes is icing on the cake, MU will be fine with or without him.

Bailey's coming, deal with it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:09:24 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9818 on: October 04, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Beat me to it

Stan Johnson @MUCoachJohnson
1m
HOUSTON bound!
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9819 on: October 04, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
John Steppe
@JSteppe1
2018 target Quentin Grimes is hosting the entire #mubb staff tonight for another in-home visit, per a source.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #9820 on: October 04, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
John Steppe
@JSteppe1
2018 target Quentin Grimes is hosting the entire #mubb staff tonight for another in-home visit, per a source.

I love it! Keep up the full court press and have a great official visit and I think we'll be in a good spot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9821 on: October 04, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
John Steppe
@JSteppe1

Glad they're keeping the pressure on. Keep in his ear as he gets ready for Lawrence.

Devon Dotson eliminated Florida and is expected to make a decision in the next week. If he decides before Grimes goes to Kansas, that would put us in as good of position as we could hope for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9822 on: October 04, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
Glad they're keeping the pressure on. Keep in his ear as he gets ready for Lawrence.

Devon Dotson eliminated Florida and is expected to make a decision in the next week. If he decides before Grimes goes to Kansas, that would put us in as good of position as we could hope for.

That's actually big news.  Daddy, when do we head to the bunker?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9823 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »
That's actually big news.  Daddy, when do we head to the bunker?

Corey Evans reported this after two guards committed the Florida in the past few days. Dotson is definitely the next domino to watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9824 on: October 04, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
Corey Evans reported this after two guards committed the Florida in the past few days. Dotson is definitely the next domino to watch.

Down to Maryland and Kansas. Dumb, average, and smart money says Kansas. Dotson's dad is out of town this week. Scuttlebutt is that the decision will come when the dad gets home next week.
TAMU