Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8721630 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9750 on: October 03, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
Grimes has escaped Lexington. Take this for what it is, but if they made up serious ground on QG during his visit, I would expect at least a few Kentucky "insiders" to switch their crystal ball picks. As Jay Bee often notes, most CB picks are based on readily available information....such as a recruit visiting a blue blood. I think KU remains the school to beat. Hopefully Dotson commits in the coming weeks, it can only help our cause.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9751 on: October 03, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
Good news.  One step at a time.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9752 on: October 03, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
It sounds like Quentin is going to Kansas or Kentucky.
Brinks truck in reverse in Lawrence or Lexington?

MuMark

• All American

Galway Eagle

• All American
Maigh Eo for Sam

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #9755 on: October 03, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
Hedging bets or writing is on the wall?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9756 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
We were heavily involved with Ramey before he committed to Louisville. I'd assume Grimes is still the primary target and his recruitment is likely to wrap up before Ramey's is. Can still tell Grimes that he is the first, second, and third priority while keeping up with Ramey just in case.

Mizzou seems like the early leader to pick up Ramey on the rebound. They're local and Martin showed up at Ramey's place with his entire staff on Monday.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:57:09 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9757 on: October 03, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
We were heavily involved with Ramey before he committed to Louisville. I'd assume Grimes is still the primary target and his recruitment is likely to wrap up before Ramey's is. Can still tell Grimes that he is the first, second, and third priority while keeping up with Ramey just in case.

OK, but some here (I don't think you) insisted we had nothing to lose recruiting Q. He was a special player but if he said no it was no biggie - we were full anyway and would be fine with that. Clearly, Wojo won't be fine with that. He wants a point guard, and if it isn't Q he'll look elsewhere.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9758 on: October 03, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
OK, but some here (I don't think you) insisted we had nothing to lose recruiting Q. He was a special player but if he said no it was no biggie - we were full anyway and would be fine with that. Clearly, Wojo won't be fine with that. He wants a point guard, and if it isn't Q he'll look elsewhere.

From what I remember, the people saying "we had nothing to lose" were saying there's little to no opportunity cost for recruiting Grimes. Until Ramey reopened his recruitment, he was quite literally the only 2018 player we were recruiting after Joey.

I'm personally of the mindset that any individual player saying no is "no biggie." Recruiting involves a lot more nos than yeses. It's only if you get into a pattern of your top targets saying no that it starts to become a biggie. Losing a recruiting battle to the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, or Texas when the recruit is from Texas? Definition of a no biggie in recruiting IMHO.
TAMU

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #9759 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
The house is not on fire.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

onepost

• All American
« Reply #9760 on: October 03, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
Yeah I don't see where all this sudden pessimism is coming from.
Grimes visited Texas, didn't commit, visited Kentucky, didn't commit, re-affirmed his October 20th visit date with us, and Devon Dotson to Kansas is all but a sure thing at this point.

So a PG who we were initially recruiting rather heavily has now re-opened his recruitment and because we reach back out we've given up on Grimes / it sounds like many are now conceding it just wasn't in the cards?  I'm more confident now than I was even a few weeks ago.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9761 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
Yeah I don't see where all this sudden pessimism is coming from.
Grimes visited Texas, didn't commit, visited Kentucky, didn't commit, re-affirmed his October 20th visit date with us, and Devon Dotson to Kansas is all but a sure thing at this point.

So a PG who we were initially recruiting rather heavily has now re-opened his recruitment and because we reach back out we've given up on Grimes / it sounds like many are now conceding it just wasn't in the cards?  I'm more confident now than I was even a few weeks ago.

My only point of concern is that we were making it a point to outvisit all of the other schools before. I'm pretty sure we haven't been back to Houston since right before his TU visit. In that time, KU has stopped by three times. Now it could be that we feel confident where we are at, and KU is starting to feel some doubt creep in. Don't really know, just making observations.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #9762 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
My only point of concern is that we were making it a point to outvisit all of the other schools before. I'm pretty sure we haven't been back to Houston since right before his TU visit. In that time, KU has stopped by three times. Now it could be that we feel confident where we are at, and KU is starting to feel some doubt creep in. Don't really know, just making observations.

Same

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9763 on: October 03, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
From the MU perspective the recruitment of Grimes is going to come down to a very traditional college  decision assessment. That being can Quentin visualize himself being a student at MU and is their outstanding chemistry with his future teammates.  The answers to these questions can only be ascertained by an on site visit. At this point,more home visits on site visits etc wont help. When Quentin comes to campus I am certain we will roll out Lovell etc to reinforce the attention Quentin is going to get from the school.  Quentin and the family have to walk away from our visit thinking we are a special school and there is a very well defined upside for him.  In some respects we are offering an experience the other three schools can't offer. We just have to be able to communicate that and have the family buy in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:32:40 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9764 on: October 03, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »
From what I remember, the people saying "we had nothing to lose" were saying there's little to no opportunity cost for recruiting Grimes. Until Ramey reopened his recruitment, he was quite literally the only 2018 player we were recruiting after Joey.

I'm personally of the mindset that any individual player saying no is "no biggie." Recruiting involves a lot more nos than yeses. It's only if you get into a pattern of your top targets saying no that it starts to become a biggie. Losing a recruiting battle to the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, or Texas when the recruit is from Texas? Definition of a no biggie in recruiting IMHO.

I think if you put in 30 man hours and send the plane once or twice for a three star that losing him is no biggie, but when you spend maximum time, effort and money going after a five star (no matter where he's from or who else is recruiting him) losing him would most definitely be a biggie.

I'm glad we're all in - and I'm glad Wojo and the staff will be crushed if we don't get Q. I don't understand fans who won't be.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9765 on: October 03, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
I think if you put in 30 man hours and send the plane once or twice for a three star that losing him is no biggie, but when you spend maximum time, effort and money going after a five star (no matter where he's from or who else is recruiting him) losing him would most definitely be a biggie.

I'm glad we're all in - and I'm glad Wojo and the staff will be crushed if we don't get Q. I don't understand fans who won't be.

I think most fans (who follow recruiting at least) will be crushed but get over it pretty quickly. I expect the coaches will too though it will hit them harder. We're just bums on the internet, they're the ones putting in the actual work. I hope they have more of a reaction than we do.

I think we have the same view but maybe disagree on some vocabulary so I will drop it here.
TAMU

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9766 on: October 03, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
Crushed? Lol

Yep...doubt Wojo will be able to go on if he misses out on an out of state 5 star recruit that is also considering Texas(the state school),Kentucky and Kansas.

I mean I'm sure he hasn't even considered the possibility that he might lose out on the kid.....' ::)

If you are crushed when you miss out on a recruit you won't be in the business long. You give it your best shot and see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:50:41 PM by MuMark »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9767 on: October 03, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
Crushed? Lol

Yep...doubt Wojo will be able to go on if he misses out on an out of state 5 star recruit that is also considering Texas(the state school),Kentucky and Kansas.

I mean I'm sure he hasn't even considered the possibility that he might lose out on the kid.....' ::)

If you are crushed when you miss out on a recruit you won't be in the business long. You give it your best shot and see what happens.

Of course I never said Wojo wouldn't "be able to go on" if he missed on Q. He's a competitor and competitors go on regardless. But as all competitors understand it's crushing when when you go all in and lose whether non competitor fans figured you as an underdog or not.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #9768 on: October 03, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9769 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
The good thing is it will be over soon

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/10/03/quentin-grimes-enjoys-kentucky-visit-two-officials-remaining/

Coach says decision will come in the fall.  Grimes also mentioned being the primary ball handler
TAMU

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #9770 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
Not sure you can get crushed by a recruit when you have no ships for this class in question (2018). We're free rolling on Grimes/Ramey guys.

If we get Grimes he sounds like he's 1 and done, don't get too attached.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9771 on: October 03, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »
Crushed? Lol

As I have said many times before, this is EXACTLY the type of recruit, and EXACTLY the type of schools you have to win a recruiting battle against once in awhile to return to elite status..from that perspective, it's a VERY important recruit for MU, and don't think Wojo doesn't realize that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9772 on: October 03, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
I think most fans (who follow recruiting at least) will be crushed but get over it pretty quickly. I expect the coaches will too though it will hit them harder. We're just bums on the internet, they're the ones putting in the actual work. I hope they have more of a reaction than we do.

I think we have the same view but maybe disagree on some vocabulary so I will drop it here.

I'll be disappointed but in no way will I be crushed. I think that's silly. I'm looking at it as if we're playing with house money at this point.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #9773 on: October 03, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »
Look, I don't think I am so in denial that losing Grimes wouldn't lead to some anger.
Landing him would be a great bargaining chip vis a vis other recruits. If he chooses another university, though, it's no cause for depression.
Would his commitment lead to MU's acceptance as a blue blood?

Good grief, no.
These things happen in stages.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9774 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
The good thing is it will be over soon

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/10/03/quentin-grimes-enjoys-kentucky-visit-two-officials-remaining/

It is interesting how business like his discussion of UK is: go there for a year, practice against the best, go to the show. That's it.  Practical, but not very exciting.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

feedback