[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8468955 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/17
« Reply #6400 on: March 28, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
I know this group is more about grad transfers....but Vance Jackson is an intriguing name. Wouldn't mind having him in the fold.

Definitely is. Looks like a left coaster though.  Original offers from the west coast big boys.  My assumption is he'll head that way, but definitely would be a guy to reach out to.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6401 on: March 28, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »
Enes Kanter's younger brother is declaring from the draft, but also received his release and is eligible to play immediately.

We should pursue him and Kostas and field the ultimate team of nepotistic never-weres.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19024395/kerem-kanter-declares-nba-draft-return-college

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #6402 on: March 28, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
Matt Ryan, from Notre Dame, is another non-grad transfer that would be an interesting name.

Big time shooter. Wojo was after him the first time around.

Averaged 14 minutes as a Frosh, but playing time dipped quite a bit this year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6403 on: March 28, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
Matt Ryan, from Notre Dame, is another non-grad transfer that would be an interesting name.

Big time shooter. Wojo was after him the first time around.

Averaged 14 minutes as a Frosh, but playing time dipped quite a bit this year.

When he'd be eligible, he'd be the same class as Sam and play the same position. Both can shoot and Sam does more besides shoot.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6404 on: March 28, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
When he'd be eligible, he'd be the same class as Sam and play the same position. Both can shoot and Sam does more besides shoot.

I thought the same. Poor man's Sam Hauser.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #6405 on: March 28, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Rowsey and Howard play the same position, too. Wojo found ways to get them on the floor at the same time, because they were our* two best scorers.

Rowsey won't be on that 2018-19 team. Neither will Katin. No one in our 2017-18 recruiting class is a shooter (of that caliber).

Wouldn't hurt to have another great shooter on that 18-19 roster.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:18:59 PM by amen426 »

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #6406 on: March 28, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
2017 SG Jemarl Baker is re-opening his recruitment per multiple sources. Backed out of Cal. Schools listed include Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Marquette, and others.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6407 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
Rowsey and Howard play the same position, too. Wojo found ways to get them on the floor at the same time, because they were are two best scorers.

Rowsey won't be on that 2018-19 team. Neither will Katin. No one in our 2017-18 recruiting class is a shooter (of that caliber).

Wouldn't hurt to have another great shooter on that 18-19 roster.

Given the needs of the roster, plus the addition of Brandon Bailey in '18, not sure Ryan is a fit. Not opposed to it per se, not sure it's a priority.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/16
« Reply #6408 on: March 28, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Michael Weathers announced he's transferring from Miami (OH). True freshman PG who led team in Points, Assists, Steals, and Blocks. That's right, a 6"2 PG who led the team in blocks. I mentioned him a while ago as a potential transfer I wouldn't mind snagging:

I've been thinking about this too. I think my priorities are:

1. Defensive Stopper Grad Transfer - Could be a wing or a PF but I think next year's team needs that JFB type lock down defender.
2. Rebounding Grad Transfer - If we can't find a defensive stopper I think the "garbage man" type forward is the second biggest gap. Would love a player who was both.
3. Transfer PG who is a freshman - Looking to the future my biggest concern is the heir to Markus Howard. If we can a find a freshman PG who had a stellar season but is looking for greener grass, I'd take him in heartbeat. Some possible names: Daquan Bracey (Louisiana Tech) Stevie Jordan (Rider), Michael Weathers (Miami-OH) Jordan Bohannon (Iowa), Jaylen Fisher (TCU), Preston Parks (The Citadel). No idea if any of them want to transfer but they are good looking freshmen points.
4. Project/later bloomer. Greg Elliott is definitely the front runner for this spot. May become higher priority if he continues his trajectory.
5. Bank it. We are in on some BIG fish in 2018. Can't hurt to have another schollie.

What I didn't realize at the time was....he has a twin brother. And while he was a starter for the Redhawks, I don't see him being more than a back of rotation player here. With limited scholarship space I don't see us taking a package deal for one good player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6409 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
2017 SG Jemarl Baker is re-opening his recruitment per multiple sources. Backed out of Cal. Schools listed include Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Marquette, and others.

Curious, where did you see us listed with him?
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6410 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »

Originally on his list, or on a new list?

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #6411 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »
Are these return phone calls in response to Marquette reaching out, or are these the grad transfers initiating the first contact made by either side?  Have always wondered how the grad transfer recruitment works.  Does a grad transfer have a school in mind before he even announces it?  Or does he announce and lets programs show interest in him?

Most quality programs will not talk with a player who is still connected to a school. However, there are intermediaries that will call and ask what if.  It is a little more "friendly" with grad transfers.  Now, take a situation like Dayton, if you are reaching out to a player that has not been released it is frowned on.

High school coaches are a very common intermediary in these situations or AAU. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6412 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Michael Weathers announced he's transferring from Miami (OH). True freshman PG who led team in Points, Assists, Steals, and Blocks. That's right, a 6"2 PG who led the team in blocks. I mentioned him a while ago as a potential transfer I wouldn't mind snagging:

What I didn't realize at the time was....he has a twin brother. And while he was a starter for the Redhawks, I don't see him being more than a back of rotation player here. With limited scholarship space I don't see us taking a package deal for one good player.

Are they both transferring? Do you know they want to transfer together?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6413 on: March 28, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6414 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Curious, where did you see us listed with him?

All over Twitter. His AAU program first, then many other recruiting guys.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #6416 on: March 28, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
Given the needs of the roster, plus the addition of Brandon Bailey in '18, not sure Ryan is a fit. Not opposed to it per se, not sure it's a priority.

I always forget about Brendan Bailey. You are right. Definitely not a NEED.

But most people on this board disagreed with Wojo when he added Andrew Rowsey. Of all the needs we had at that time, PG wasn't really one of them.

You never know what the program will look like 2 years from now.

Most assume that we'll find some beasty PF/C as a grad transfer this year. When in reality, the majority of quality grad transfers in recent years have come from Smaller schools. And those small schools generally don't have quality post players. Shonn Miller was one of the few that I can remember in recent years.

Alec Peters was everyone's pipe dream last year, and he never even mentioned transferring after Drew left Valpo. Which just shows you how scarce good bigs are on the Grad Transfer market.

Long story short. You are right. I doubt we really pursue him this time around - since it doesn't make a ton of sense for either side.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6417 on: March 28, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »

This kid is a stud. Interesting a coach as underwhelming as Wojo would draw his interest.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6418 on: March 28, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
This kid is a stud. Interesting a coach as underwhelming as Wojo would draw his interest.

MU has no shot in hell with AZ, UK and Duke on his list. I hope one day MU can win recruiting battles with those types of schools. When they do that, then you will know they are back to being elite.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6419 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
MU has no shot in hell with AZ, UK and Duke on his list. I hope one day MU can win recruiting battles with those types of schools. When they do that, then you will know they are back to being elite.

I have no idea, but it could be they are reaching out to keep tabs on him as a backup plan in case other targets fall through. I wouldn't say we have no chance. It has been an eternity since the Ellenson recruitment where we beat out teams at that level.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #6420 on: March 28, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »
Most quality programs will not talk with a player who is still connected to a school. However, there are intermediaries that will call and ask what if.  It is a little more "friendly" with grad transfers.  Now, take a situation like Dayton, if you are reaching out to a player that has not been released it is frowned on.

High school coaches are a very common intermediary in these situations or AAU.
This sounds exactly like what wojo described to homer on his show last week.  He said coaches reach out to coaches and reps to coaches. Its like a black market.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6421 on: March 28, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »

Lol. Dudes of this guys caliber that go to the Kentuckys and Kansas and Dukes of the world mostly transfer after a year or two because they can't get off the bench. This isn't a sure fire lottery pick. He's a mid tier top 100 guy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6422 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
Are they both transferring? Do you know they want to transfer together?

Yes and yes. They may change their mind on the second part, especially if Michael gets blue blood offers (he said Kansas was his dream school) and Marcus doesn't.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6423 on: March 28, 2017, 08:43:38 PM »

See Ellenson, Henry. Also, I wouldn't call that the best indicator. Mississippi State, LSU, Western Kentucky, Auburn, and many other schools that are nowhere near elite have beaten out blue bloods for recruits in recent years. Every recruitment is different. Not every kid wants to go to a blue blood. Many kids want to play. This kid is towards the back of the top 100. If he goes to a blue blood he runs a big risk of picking splinters out of his butt. That might be a factor. Might not be. Who knows?

I think the biggest competition is probably Mizzou. Wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Cuonzo.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6424 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:10 PM »
See Ellenson, Henry. Also, I wouldn't call that the best indicator. Mississippi State, LSU, Western Kentucky, Auburn, and many other schools that are nowhere near elite have beaten out blue bloods for recruits in recent years. Every recruitment is different. Not every kid wants to go to a blue blood. Many kids want to play. This kid is towards the back of the top 100. If he goes to a blue blood he runs a big risk of picking splinters out of his butt. That might be a factor. Might not be. Who knows?

I think the biggest competition is probably Mizzou. Wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Cuonzo.

I'm talking beating the blue bloods for recruits more often than just one here or there, yes that has happened. I'm talking semi regularly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:25:41 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback