[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 6/15/24  (Read 8926911 times)

mugrad_89

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/24
« Reply #36400 on: May 20, 2024, 08:34:16 PM »
The list will get much, much shorter after next year. 2024-25 will be fifth year players who were 2020-21 freshmen. The only players eligible for a COVID year in 2025-26 will be players who played as freshmen in 2020-21 and used an effective redshirt in a subsequent season.

I am so ready for the Covid years to go away - enough with 24-25 year olds playing in college.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36401 on: May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM »
I am so ready for the Covid years to go away - enough with 24-25 year olds playing in college.

This guy sez: "You got that right!"

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuMark

• All American

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #36405 on: May 21, 2024, 10:29:36 PM »
Interesting offer, wasnt expecting another 2025 wing offer.  We are the first P5 offer, which has never scared Shaka.  Looks like he has good size for a wing and can definitely shoot the ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36406 on: May 21, 2024, 10:35:30 PM »
Interesting offer, wasnt expecting another 2025 wing offer.  We are the first P5 offer, which has never scared Shaka.  Looks like he has good size for a wing and can definitely shoot the ball.

Royce and Owens got a good look at him on their way to the championship

https://x.com/0wencarlson/status/1766932836714446950?s=61&t=6XPB8f4sAKmJIzxgMcsCjw

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36407 on: May 21, 2024, 11:41:46 PM »
Shaka right now must think he is behind the eight ball on many of these recruits if he keeps on offering new offers or he sees a better kid then who he has offered already, it will be interesting for sure!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #36408 on: May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM »
Shaka right now must think he is behind the eight ball on many of these recruits if he keeps on offering new offers or he sees a better kid then who he has offered already, it will be interesting for sure!

It seems like Shaka likes early offers and early commits.

Goes hand in hand with the culture aspect of his recruiting style.

You might be thinking well this is a late offer for a 25 kid… sure, but it’s an early offer for a 25 kid to an elite school.
Look at how quickly the recruitment moved for the 7 footer out of Texas.

If Shaka feels like he isn’t getting traction on the kids he made an early and long play on I feel like he moves on to someone he feels like wants to be a part of his Marquette culture.
For good or bad, seems to be a part of his schtick.

Don’t forget, he recruited TyKo, Omax and co for merely a few weeks, and kept Oso and Kam around by selling his vision for only few weeks.
He’s played the long game and lost a few times, and I don’t think he loves that too much anymore.
His long game is centered on keeping a kid inside the Marquette culture and inside his program after he commits

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #36409 on: May 22, 2024, 06:35:06 AM »
I dont think this means we are missing on our top targets at all.  There is a good chance we are going to sign 4 in this class, throwing one additional offer out there to kid putting up huge numbers in AAU isnt crazy.

Plus, we dont even know if the offer is actually committable right now.  This could very well be a plan B offer where we wont bring him in for an OV until all of our top targets have made decisions, this "offer" could be to keep the kid interested just in case.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36410 on: May 22, 2024, 11:44:14 AM »
I dont think this means we are missing on our top targets at all.  There is a good chance we are going to sign 4 in this class, throwing one additional offer out there to kid putting up huge numbers in AAU isnt crazy.

Plus, we dont even know if the offer is actually committable right now.  This could very well be a plan B offer where we wont bring him in for an OV until all of our top targets have made decisions, this "offer" could be to keep the kid interested just in case.

This……people like to make assumptions when this kind of thing happens without information or context. It could be Shaka just starting the relationship with a player he likes before others get in ………he might sign late……and we could easily have another spot open……..you just never want to assume anything so you keep working.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36411 on: May 22, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36412 on: May 22, 2024, 11:52:49 AM »
BC has committed to his doom and gloom bit.    Let him be.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36413 on: May 22, 2024, 01:30:44 PM »
BC has committed to his doom and gloom bit.    Let him be.

No Shaka will get at least 3 players out of the group, which ones who knows

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #36414 on: May 22, 2024, 02:58:28 PM »

The reality is that each year so far at MU Shaka has gone after some higher profile, highly rated, and sometimes even five-star players, not able to land them, and quickly and quietly moved on to someone else (aka Plan B). That doesn't make Shaka a bad coach or recruiter--but it also means he doesn't have some unicorn recruiting strategy of zeroing in on unknown players early in the recruit cycle--he's following the same pattern as just about every D1 coach.

For example, in the class of '24, it's great that Shaka landed Pahram (#83 in 247's rankings), Owens (#65), and Clark (#200).  But Shaka also offered for example, Joson Sanon (#22) and Kon Knuppel (#17).  And to suggest that Shaka passed on Sanon and Knuppel (after offering them, no less!) because they didn't fit with his culture is as ridiculous sounding as Bo cooling on a particular recruit.

Even all the board excitement over Joshua Clark belies the fact that we had previously offered #110 ranked 6'11" Josh Hill.  Again, great the Shaka got the commitment, and I hope Clark develops into a Big East quality center.  But I don't believe that Shaka pulled Hills' offer because he saw Clark coming down the pike.

Like just about every college coach, Shaka recruits (and offers) a number of players, including many that are highly rated.  Like most other coaches doesn't always land his first choices.  Admitting that isn't a sign of gloom and doom.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36415 on: May 22, 2024, 03:07:23 PM »
And to suggest that Shaka passed on Sanon and Knuppel (after offering them, no less!) because they didn't fit with his culture is as ridiculous sounding as Bo cooling on a particular recruit.

Good thing...because no one suggested that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #36416 on: May 22, 2024, 04:05:56 PM »
In fairness...you've been wrong about Shaka from the start...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #36417 on: May 22, 2024, 04:19:09 PM »
The reality is that each year so far at MU Shaka has gone after some higher profile, highly rated, and sometimes even five-star players, not able to land them, and quickly and quietly moved on to someone else (aka Plan B). That doesn't make Shaka a bad coach or recruiter--but it also means he doesn't have some unicorn recruiting strategy of zeroing in on unknown players early in the recruit cycle--he's following the same pattern as just about every D1 coach.

For example, in the class of '24, it's great that Shaka landed Pahram (#83 in 247's rankings), Owens (#65), and Clark (#200).  But Shaka also offered for example, Joson Sanon (#22) and Kon Knuppel (#17).  And to suggest that Shaka passed on Sanon and Knuppel (after offering them, no less!) because they didn't fit with his culture is as ridiculous sounding as Bo cooling on a particular recruit.

Even all the board excitement over Joshua Clark belies the fact that we had previously offered #110 ranked 6'11" Josh Hill.  Again, great the Shaka got the commitment, and I hope Clark develops into a Big East quality center.  But I don't believe that Shaka pulled Hills' offer because he saw Clark coming down the pike.

Like just about every college coach, Shaka recruits (and offers) a number of players, including many that are highly rated.  Like most other coaches doesn't always land his first choices.  Admitting that isn't a sign of gloom and doom.

No it’s more likely that Shaka pulled Hill’s offer when Parham committed because he viewed them as similar players.

As far as Sanon……MU got in early and was one of his favorites but somewhere along the lines things changed……could have been on Sanon’s end ……or MU’s end or maybe both……….no matter what the rating coaches are always evaluating where a guy fits going forward…….i’m sure recruits do the same with the school’s recruiting them……..don’t assume that just because a guy is highly rated that a coach won’t cool,on them for reasons that might have nothing to do with talent…………

As far as Kon…..MU wanted him and went all out…….were in it to the end …..and missed……..it happens.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36418 on: May 22, 2024, 05:02:46 PM »
Good thing...because no one suggested that.

Correct. What has been suggested that Equalizer may be conflating is that Shaka is focused on players who will be at MU for multiple years.  Being a 5 star doesn't necessarily mean you will be one and done in college.  I don't know Sanon and Kon's plans but neither are sure fire one and done. Both were also rated lower when Shaka initially offered them. Kon I know we wanted until the bitter end. Sanon my understanding is that the relationship cooled pretty early on.  I don't know who did the cooling or why
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36419 on: May 22, 2024, 05:34:19 PM »
In fairness...you've been wrong about Shaka from the start...

Wrong about what, yes not signing another forward after OMax left, was a bad decision, people say if they did Joplin would have left, oh well, so what. This year not signing another guard with experience might be another mistake.  Time will tell on that.  As a hire Shaka was a great choice, maybe the best coach since Al, time will tell on that, because Tom Crean recruited DWade, he might be ahead of him.  But Crean was never able to recruit a big after the Wade year.  Wojo big mistake.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #36420 on: May 22, 2024, 06:11:30 PM »
The truth is that Shaka has his pick of the litter. There are a lot of kids that want to play for him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36421 on: May 22, 2024, 06:15:17 PM »
He is looking for talented high schoolers willing to run through walls for their teammates.   He signed a lot of size in the last two classes.   Now, it is time to develop it.   And to sign some guards and wings to replace the 3 seniors to be.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36422 on: May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM »
I really think it is hard to be a senior now as recruiting has changed so much, if I was a good player, I would have to wait til April to see how the roster will be
shaped.  This should be a benefit to Shaka as he right now is not looking for portal players.  And there is opportunity at the guard position.

WhiteTrash

• All American

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback