[July 26, 2024, 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[July 26, 2024, 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[July 26, 2024, 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[July 26, 2024, 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 7/15/24  (Read 9170406 times)

seakm4

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/23
« Reply #35300 on: September 29, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the summary!

I second this.  Time to move on to the future

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35301 on: September 29, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
What happened to Shaka can choose who he wants now….. seems we lost out on last two recruits.    It is a tough row to ho3, but there was all this talk about how we can pick and choose which does not seems to be the case.   Thoughts?

We’re not there yet, 3 or 4 more final fours  and a couple more national championships and we’re selecting anyone we want. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35302 on: September 29, 2023, 07:16:58 PM »
What happened to Shaka can choose who he wants now….. seems we lost out on last two recruits.    It is a tough row to ho3, but there was all this talk about how we can pick and choose which does not seems to be the case.   Thoughts?

Lol.

We’re stacked. You’d have to believe you’re the best of the best to commit with a desire for huge minutes day 1
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35303 on: September 29, 2023, 10:43:38 PM »
Nobody gets anyone they want……..not Duke…..not Kentucky……

If that is anyone’s expectation now or in the future they will be disappointed

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #35304 on: September 30, 2023, 09:28:03 AM »

Agree.  Shaka isn't going to get everyone he targets and not every player he does sign is going to be a rotation player and I don't think you can point to any program in the country who is going to be able to do both.

This staffs strength seems to be that they target players early and are able to sign a majority of these players.  Now, can these players be productive players and keep Marquette near the top of the Big East?  Time will tell. 

What I can tell you from watching the 2022-23 team in an open practice and comparing that team to the 2023-24 team I saw in the open practice before the team went to Italy is that the 2023-24 team looked farther along, more athletic and deeper than the 2022-23 team.  I had some concerns with the depth a year ago and I have less concerns about the depth in 2023-24.  Even if you added Wrightsel in 2022-23, I still had concerns that they could go deeper than 9 players after that October practice in 2022.  Amadeu, Lowery and Norman all looked farther ahead of the freshman group last year and although Gold wasn't playing in the scrimmage this past August, I felt Chase Ross and Sean Jones looked improved.  OMax will be missed, but this team might look stronger overall than a year ago.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 09:32:55 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35305 on: September 30, 2023, 10:23:33 AM »

So true. Ted Baxter expanded on this theme and his observations about this season's players make me even more excited about our team. I thought that Shaka's MO made it clear that he was not relying on landing top 25-50 recruits to build his teams. This does not mean that he is not interested in them- just that they are not essential to his MO. I guess quite a few scoopers did not get the memo.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35306 on: September 30, 2023, 10:30:24 AM »
Agree.  Shaka isn't going to get everyone he targets and not every player he does sign is going to be a rotation player and I don't think you can point to any program in the country who is going to be able to do both.

This staffs strength seems to be that they target players early and are able to sign a majority of these players.  Now, can these players be productive players and keep Marquette near the top of the Big East?  Time will tell. 

What I can tell you from watching the 2022-23 team in an open practice and comparing that team to the 2023-24 team I saw in the open practice before the team went to Italy is that the 2023-24 team looked farther along, more athletic and deeper than the 2022-23 team.  I had some concerns with the depth a year ago and I have less concerns about the depth in 2023-24.  Even if you added Wrightsel in 2022-23, I still had concerns that they could go deeper than 9 players after that October practice in 2022.  Amadeu, Lowery and Norman all looked farther ahead of the freshman group last year and although Gold wasn't playing in the scrimmage this past August, I felt Chase Ross and Sean Jones looked improved.  OMax will be missed, but this team might look stronger overall than a year ago.
Actually MU targeted Kon early and, from what I have read, we were his first offer. Kon blew up and then got an actionable Blue Blood offer. That happens .

I think MU hit their sweet spot on timing with respect to Zaide , Al and Tre. Got in very early and got them committed , and signed ,before they started developing their skills and bodies to another level.

The difference between this coaching staff ,and the prior coaching staff, is Shakas ability to get everyone to buy into a system and match the individual players talented to the system
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #35307 on: September 30, 2023, 03:21:32 PM »
Winning brings players!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35308 on: October 02, 2023, 01:29:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/nyklewis/status/1708587665262592199?t=OyNf-mV-9wa8KYaiqO08XQ&s=19

New offer, Nyk Lewis. Top 50 PG in the 2025 class from DC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35309 on: October 03, 2023, 07:50:29 AM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35310 on: October 03, 2023, 09:14:39 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35311 on: October 03, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
TLDW-did he discuss the silent verbal?

- Uncle at Toledo gave him his first offer then Marquette after he played well at Marquette team camp
- Doesn't like being on phone a lot and asked coaches not to constantly contact him
- Bad part of recruiting is he likes being at home and didn't like traveling for visits
- Sounds like he had a school in mind and it changed after visits
- Liked attention to detail and analytics at Alabama
- Wisconsin has good people on team
- He's most familiar with Marquette because he got to go there and play a lot
- Coolest thing is their ability to compete everyday
- Duke was amazing with their culture around basketball and campus
- Liked how small Duke is
- Tony Bennett special to him
- Had a pro and con slideshow of each school
- Coaches told him when you know you know and when he visited Duke he had that
- Decided a day before and lived with that decision
- Main things he looked at was 1) getting better 2) relationships 3) winning 4) having fun
- Tried to take the "It's Duke" factor out
- Thought about announcing at school but not his style
- Third day of Duke visit he thought that was the place
- Didn't realize he was a D1 player until he got his first offer and didn't realize he could get to Duke until this past spring
- Duke reached out a little bit but didn't offer until July

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #35312 on: October 03, 2023, 09:33:03 AM »
- Uncle at Toledo gave him his first offer then Marquette after he played well at Marquette team camp
- Doesn't like being on phone a lot and asked coaches not to constantly contact him
- Bad part of recruiting is he likes being at home and didn't like traveling for visits
- Main things he looked at was 1) getting better 2) relationships 3) winning 4) having fun
- Didn't realize he was a D1 player until he got his first offer and didn't realize he could get to Duke until this past spring

Thank you Titan, doing the Lord's work here, it's appreciated.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35313 on: October 03, 2023, 09:55:54 AM »

Appreciate that summary. Sounds like the "It's Duke" factor wasn't totally factored out, though! Not saying I blame him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35314 on: October 03, 2023, 10:39:45 AM »
Appreciate that summary. Sounds like the "It's Duke" factor wasn't totally factored out, though! Not saying I blame him.

Also, factoring in relationships only to go with a school that had a much shorter relationship than mist of the other finalists?

I guess relationship length was determined to be not much of a factor.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35315 on: October 03, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
Also, factoring in relationships only to go with a school that had a much shorter relationship than mist of the other finalists?

I guess relationship length was determined to be not much of a factor.

I'm far closer to some people who I've met over the last year than I am with some friends I've known for my entire life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35316 on: October 03, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
I'm far closer to some people who I've met over the last year than I am with some friends I've known for my entire life.

That's pretty much what I'm saying.  Having a longer recruiting relationship doesn't mean you have a better relationship with that recruit than a later arriving team.

Sometimes a great relationship can be built quickly.  For example, Shaka and staff basically did just that with Caedin Hamilton.  Obviously, Kon felt his relationship with the Duke coaches was good enough.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #35317 on: October 03, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »
That's pretty much what I'm saying.  Having a longer recruiting relationship doesn't mean you have a better relationship with that recruit than a later arriving team.

Sometimes a great relationship can be built quickly.  For example, Shaka and staff basically did just that with Caedin Hamilton.  Obviously, Kon felt his relationship with the Duke coaches was good enough.

In many cases it seems to matter with a lot of recruits. Getting in early has been Shakas path for many of his best recruits at Marquette.

For KK, as he prefers to be called, it didn’t matter as much at the end of the day.

This of course is speculation, but my best guess is that the kid grew up idolizing Duke- I mean how could he not? When he was in his prime childhood years of picking up a basketball Duke under coach K was THE legendary program in college basketball.
Marquette was Marquette, just another good local basketball school. Duke was Duke, the best of the best and a pipe dream.
When it became a reality as an option I’m sure it made a lifelong dream come true.

I liken it to being an elite student and idolizing a place like Harvard, having Marquette in your back pocket and then Harvard says we would love to have you.
Being an elite soccer player and always wanting to play in the EPL. You’ve got the MLS youth programs in your back pocket and Arsenal academy comes calling, etc.

Sometimes that’s just how it goes

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35318 on: October 03, 2023, 12:06:19 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to make this summary.

Kon would have been a nice addition to MU but a Blue Blood actionable offer hard for a kid to turn down.
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

nyg

• All American
« Reply #35319 on: October 03, 2023, 02:06:51 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-rankings-week-storylines-surrounding-2024-rivals150-update-7

Here's something on a guy that actually chose MU.
Owens with a lightning bolt from 95 to 38 in early 2024 rankings from Rivals. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #35320 on: October 03, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/rivals-rankings-week-storylines-surrounding-2024-rivals150-update-7

Nice! 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35321 on: October 03, 2023, 02:41:34 PM »

Is this a typo?

Marquette pledge Damarius Owens saw his stock soar in the refresh as he jumped from No. 95 up to the 38 line. The 6-foot-8 Owens spent the summer running with City Rock in the Nike EYBL, averaging 41.5 PPG and 4.8 RPG while shooting better than 50 percent from the floor in 16 games.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #35322 on: October 03, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »

Meh, just the MU/Shaka factor. This happens any time a kid commits to MU or Duke.  ;D

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #35323 on: October 03, 2023, 02:47:47 PM »
In many cases it seems to matter with a lot of recruits. Getting in early has been Shakas path for many of his best recruits at Marquette.

For KK, as he prefers to be called, it didn’t matter as much at the end of the day.

This of course is speculation, but my best guess is that the kid grew up idolizing Duke- I mean how could he not? When he was in his prime childhood years of picking up a basketball Duke under coach K was THE legendary program in college basketball.
Marquette was Marquette, just another good local basketball school. Duke was Duke, the best of the best and a pipe dream.
When it became a reality as an option I’m sure it made a lifelong dream come true.

I liken it to being an elite student and idolizing a place like Harvard, having Marquette in your back pocket and then Harvard says we would love to have you.
Being an elite soccer player and always wanting to play in the EPL. You’ve got the MLS youth programs in your back pocket and Arsenal academy comes calling, etc.

Sometimes that’s just how it goes

Disagree. When I was in grade school Marquette was my dream basketball school above the rest. Duke was a small far away school that I thought was military.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35324 on: October 03, 2023, 02:48:43 PM »
Is this a typo?

The 6-foot-8 Owens spent the summer running with City Rock in the Nike EYBL, averaging 41.5 PPG and 4.8 RPG while shooting better than 50 percent from the floor in 16 games.

Yes. Duke’s guy kon led the league in the low 20s. Owens averaged 14.5.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback