[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8430636 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/20
« Reply #25275 on: April 07, 2020, 09:40:44 PM »
I read as he would consider going to a school he hasnt visited not as he is not going to a school that he has visited. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25276 on: April 07, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25277 on: April 07, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »
Absolutely NOT...dumbest idea ever. If you fill the 3 scholarships and Mane wants to come..you take him. Period. You'd be an absolute damn fool as a Coach to turn down that kind of talent. You get the most talented players you can, and figure it out.
No you are a damn fool to fill the 13th scholarship, if you had a chance at Mane. My point is not to fill the scholarship and then have to cut somebody. Leave it open and if you do not get Mane then you have a chance at a mid-season transfer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25278 on: April 07, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »
Mediocrity sucks. But I digress. Couldn’t Mane come to Milwaukee on his own? Walk the campus. Check-out Fiserv. Doesn’t mean Wojo & Co have to be involved since we are in a dead zone. It would be no different than me walking around showing my nephew the Union, over to the library, the rec center etc. However, Wojo and staff have been on Mane’s turf before any other program. If that means anything, and campus visits are out the window, it should tip the scale in MU’s favor, IMO.
Mane visited Marquette. Sounds like he might commit to Michigan St. without visiting. MU might have a better chance, if he actually visits Michigan St.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #25279 on: April 07, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »
Mane never was coming here.  I’d bet a lot on it that he doesn’t, nor wanted to for a long time now.

Hope I’m wrong, but highly doubt it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #25280 on: April 07, 2020, 10:41:00 PM »
Is Mane still exploring playing pro? Wouldn't be surprised to see him go that route.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #25281 on: April 07, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »
Is Mane still exploring playing pro? Wouldn't be surprised to see him go that route.

Wouldn’t be smart without a first round guarantee.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25282 on: April 08, 2020, 07:07:42 AM »
If I was an adult who a teenager was looking to for advice and guidance? Helllllllll no. That would literally be the very last program in this country I would ever advise my child to attend. That entire university is as bad as it comes. Covering up child abuse, sexual abuse, etc. all for what? A leg up on some athletic fields? Screw that entire university and the East Lansing justice system.

Izzo, like D’Antonio, can play the innocent victim, ignorance is bliss game. They’re as dirty and corrupt as anyone not named Nassar in that city. And that’s saying A LOT.
I'll see your Michigan State and raise you Baylor.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25283 on: April 08, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Congrats, Doc.

Old knews, Nads, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25284 on: April 08, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »
If I were a basketball player looking to spend a year or two in college before heading to the NBA, I would go to MSU and play for Izzo before coming to MU to play for Wojo.  I said the same thing when we lost out on Winston, Tillman and Watts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #25285 on: April 08, 2020, 08:19:58 AM »
Mane never was coming here.  I’d bet a lot on it that he doesn’t, nor wanted to for a long time now.

Hope I’m wrong, but highly doubt it.

considering that there's no way to prove or disprove anything, this is a pretty stupid post.

If I were a basketball player looking to spend a year or two in college before heading to the NBA, I would go to MSU and play for Izzo before coming to MU to play for Wojo.  I said the same thing when we lost out on Winston, Tillman and Watts.

Wasn't it pretty much confirmed that Tillman's pregnant girlfriend staying in Michigan a larger factor in his recruitment, than his chance as an NBA prospect.  Not saying we would have got him had that not happened, but I seem to remember us being considered the front-runner until she started tweeting pro MSU stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25286 on: April 08, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »
Wouldn’t be smart without a first round guarantee.

Not saying you're wrong, but several players who have nothing close to that kind of guarantee already have declared for the draft.

Successful athletes are confident-going-on-cocky. They think they can achieve even if "experts" say they can't. Some also have people in their ears giving them incorrect information.

I don't know Mane at all -- none of us do -- but given the little bit I have read, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he goes pro.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25287 on: April 08, 2020, 08:42:07 AM »
Not saying you're wrong, but several players who have nothing close to that kind of guarantee already have declared for the draft.

Successful athletes are confident-going-on-cocky. They think they can achieve even if "experts" say they can't. Some also have people in their ears giving them incorrect information.

I don't know Mane at all -- none of us do -- but given the little bit I have read, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he goes pro.

Beyond this, there are ways to make good money playing basketball that don't involve being a first-round NBA pick.
I have no idea what Mane's family situation is like, but it may be that earning six figures to play for a year or two in Europe or Australia (often tax-free, with housing provided) is more appealing than playing for free and attending classes in which you have no interest.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25288 on: April 08, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »
Beyond this, there are ways to make good money playing basketball that don't involve being a first-round NBA pick.
I have no idea what Mane's family situation is like, but it may be that earning six figures to play for a year or two in Europe or Australia (often tax-free, with housing provided) is more appealing than playing for free and attending classes in which you have no interest.

Yep. Sometimes we -- and I include myself -- apply way too much logic when discussing this stuff.

"So-and-so shouldn't leave X University because he is not ready for the NBA and won't be drafted."

Well sure. That's probably true. I mean, Vander Blue was a perfect example of this. But many of these kids don't think logically. And, as I said, they are supremely confident in their ability. And, as you said, some have no interest in going to college either at all (perhaps in Mane's case) or any longer (in Blue's case).

So should Mane go pro? Probably not. Will he? Nobody here knows.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #25289 on: April 08, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
If Mane is so hell-bent on signing with the alleged criminal Izzo, why does he need a visit? I am sure it cannot be the chance to see the 8th wonder of the world, East Lansing.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #25290 on: April 08, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
If Mane is so hell-bent on signing with the alleged criminal Izzo, why does he need a visit? I am sure it cannot be the chance to see the 8th wonder of the world, East Lansing.

I listened to the interview he did. A few takeaways:

1. I gathered that he is a lean to MSU or at least somewhere that he hasn't visited. Emphasis on visiting places/
2. He made a lot of reference to wanting to understand the fanbase and the support they provide the team. While I also think that every song is about me, I could see this as a jab to the Marquette fanbase about the social media and booing campaigns (our fanbase can't even celebrate an All American properly, instead call him selfish and a cancer)
3. He has all the time in the world. Taking all the time he needs for this.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #25291 on: April 08, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »
If Turner signs, you could forget about Mane.  I think that is how it goes down, not sure about Carton, but I could see his signing as a positive if Turner signs.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #25292 on: April 08, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
If Mane is a supposed one-and-done then I'll take a year of Turner over him anyway.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #25293 on: April 08, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Yep. Sometimes we -- and I include myself -- apply way too much logic when discussing this stuff.

"So-and-so shouldn't leave X University because he is not ready for the NBA and won't be drafted."

Well sure. That's probably true. I mean, Vander Blue was a perfect example of this. But many of these kids don't think logically. And, as I said, they are supremely confident in their ability. And, as you said, some have no interest in going to college either at all (perhaps in Mane's case) or any longer (in Blue's case).

So should Mane go pro? Probably not. Will he? Nobody here knows.

In Blue's case, he was supremely confident his "stock" wouldn't be any higher than after hat Elite 8 run. Additionally, Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with Buzz or knew the following year's team couldn't and wouldn't be able to replicate the success of the previous three years.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #25294 on: April 08, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
In Blue's case, he was supremely confident his "stock" wouldn't be any higher than after hat Elite 8 run. Additionally, Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with Buzz or knew the following year's team couldn't and wouldn't be able to replicate the success of the previous three years.

Sounds logical.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #25295 on: April 08, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »

Good to hear from you again, REALwrk!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #25296 on: April 08, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
If Mane’s goal is to be a one and done and first round draft pick, I can’t see how MU or MSU are good options for him. Has Wojo even put a guard in the NBA in his 6 years here? MSU doesn’t have much better of a track record either with one and dones. If he is as good as advertised, I predict some blue bloods will start sniffing around late and scoop him up last minute. Hope I’m wrong but I’ve definitely become more invested in the Turner/Carton recruitment as I think we have a more legit shot at them. Nothing against Mane and he’d be a terrific get. There’s other really good options out there though.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #25297 on: April 08, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »
If Mane’s goal is to be a one and done and first round draft pick, I can’t see how MU or MSU are good options for him. Has Wojo even put a guard in the NBA in his 6 years here? MSU doesn’t have much better of a track record either with one and dones. If he is as good as advertised, I predict some blue bloods will start sniffing around late and scoop him up last minute. Hope I’m wrong but I’ve definitely become more invested in the Turner/Carton recruitment as I think we have a more legit shot at them. Nothing against Mane and he’d be a terrific get. There’s other really good options out there though.

No one does more to hurt one and dones than Tom Izzo.  If Karim Mane wishes to be a one and done, Michigan State isn’t the place to be showcased.
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

muguru

• All American
« Reply #25298 on: April 08, 2020, 11:49:48 AM »
No one does more to hurt one and dones than Tom Izzo.  If Karim Mane wishes to be a one and done, Michigan State isn’t the place to be showcased.

I'm honestly not sure Mane would even start for MSU. I say that in all honesty. Izzo does NOT start freshman. He's not going to play PG for MSU, not with Rocket Watts and AJ Hoggard there. I think he'd be a bench player.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25299 on: April 08, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback