Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8723681 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/17
« Reply #8100 on: July 04, 2017, 01:58:44 PM »
He may be looking at one and done. Maybe two and done.  In that case he might want to be on a team that has a chance the couple of years he plays.  Maybe that's Marquette.  Maybe it is elsewhere.   We will know soon   Would like ver to have him at MU.
I think you exagerated in your mind how good Joey is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8101 on: July 04, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »

I think a lot of people are guilty of this. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8102 on: July 04, 2017, 02:09:30 PM »

He's just about a consensus 5 star and is rated as high as 15 in the country by scouting services. He might not end being a one and done but it's certainly not an unreasonable guess.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8103 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »

A year ago, I think Marquette fans in general massively underrated how good Sam is. It's possible we're overrating Joey, but the consensus since the start has been that Joey is the better player.

I'm trying to base expectations on the players we already have. That way anything Joey adds is icing. Maybe that impact would be minimal, less than what Sam had. But maybe it will be more.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8104 on: July 04, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
I know many here want to "brace themselves" incase he goes elsewhere, and I realize it's totally Joey's decision where he goes, but to poo poo it like if he goes elsewhere it's no big deal...well whatever floats your boat. But, as hard as Wojo has worked to recruit him, and the other built in advantages Wojo has...to lose him WOULD be a blow, spin it any way you want, but that's the reality.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:38:01 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8105 on: July 04, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »
Of course it will be a loss if goes elseware.....but when you have done everything you can to recruit a player you can live with the result.

If we get him...it will be great....if we don't it will hurt.....but it is the nature of recruiting.....you are going to lose some that you really want to win.

Happens to everybody.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8106 on: July 04, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »
I know many here want to "brace themselves" ibcase he goes elsewhere, and I realize it's totally Joey's decision where he goes, but to poo poo it like if he goes elsewhere it's no big deal...well whatever floats your boat. But, as hard as Wojo has worked to recruit him, and the other built in advantages Wojo has...to lose him WOULD be a blow, spin it any way you want, but that's the reality.

Here's the deal:

Wojo has done pretty much all he can.

Wojo has shown the ability to recruit so I feel confident he will find someone else.

No recruit makes or breaks a program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8107 on: July 04, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »
Yes, Wojo has done all he can, relentlessly recruiting Joey for 2+years. Here's the thing:

Some top recruits are long shots, especially for a program like Marquette. Once in a while, though, the stars align to actually make us prohibitive favorites.That's the case here. If we land him it's big. Lose him and it could be even bigger - might convince Wojo that the ceiling at Marquette is lower than he thought.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8108 on: July 04, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »
Yes, Wojo has done all he can, relentlessly recruiting Joey for 2+years. Here's the thing:

Some top recruits are long shots, especially for a program like Marquette. Once in a while, though, the stars align to actually make us prohibitive favorites.That's the case here. If we land him it's big. Lose him and it could be even bigger - might convince Wojo that the ceiling at Marquette is lower than he thought.

+1000...Joey's brother is at MU, he's very good friends with Markus, etc. If there was ever an in state recruit that SHOULD be heading to MU it's Joey..If Wojo loses him, then he needs to figure out why. I would GUESS one of the ONLY reasons he would lose Joey is the lack of success Wojo has had(relatively speaking). That's on Wojo and Wojo only.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8109 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
He's just about a consensus 5 star and is rated as high as 15 in the country by scouting services. He might not end being a one and done but it's certainly not an unreasonable guess.

Joey's most recent rankings:

Scout 18
247    32
Rivals  41
ESPN   49

247 composite    38

So, yeah I'd call it a stretch to say Joey will be one and done.  A very good player but his size, length, athleticism, and quickness aren't quite elite.  His shooting isn't quite as good as Novak, Diener, or even Sam.

A very nice player but not one on the fast track to the NBA.  Will need 3-4 years in college, likely all four.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8110 on: July 04, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
The Hauser brothers will both collect an NBA paycheck in the next half decade.

And the thing we least need to worry about with Wojo is his recruiting, Joey or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8111 on: July 04, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
+1000...Joey's brother is at MU, he's very good friends with Markus, etc. If there was ever an in state recruit that SHOULD be heading to MU it's Joey..If Wojo loses him, then he needs to figure out why. I would GUESS one of the ONLY reasons he would lose Joey is the lack of success Wojo has had(relatively speaking). That's on Wojo and Wojo only.

Lol what?

He's improved every year and his brother is in the team. Lack of success?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8112 on: July 04, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »

Because he couldn't land a recruit that the more successful state school went hard after?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8113 on: July 04, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
Because he couldn't land a recruit that the more successful state school went hard after?

THIS is the problem...it should NEVER be this way, but it has been for several years..It's up to Wojo to change that dynamic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8114 on: July 04, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »
THIS is the problem...it should NEVER be this way, but it has been for several years..It's up to Wojo to change that dynamic.

No kidding. One recruit isn't going to do that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8115 on: July 04, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »

Lol what?

He's improved every year and his brother is in the team. Lack of success?

Lack of success...1 tournament appearance in 3 years, and quite possibly a 4th this year. And this last year they barely got in. You are judged by tourney success at the high major level. That's just the way it is. Save me the "look what he started with"..other coaches have done more with less. Yes, this past year was a SMALL step in the right direction, but if they miss the tourney again this year..that success is wiped away..

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8116 on: July 04, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »

No kidding. One recruit isn't going to do that.

No..but it starts with getting the really good in state recruits to go to MU. You need to make it cool to go to MU again. Unfortunately it's the opposite with some in state kids now "it's a dream school" for some of them. Should NEVER be that way. Losing Joey to them would NOT help MU's perception at all..especially since his brother is at MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8117 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
Nobody was going to get to the tourney  In Wojo's first year......quit whining.

Buzz left and the cupboard was bare.....it happens. Deal with it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8118 on: July 04, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
Lack of success...1 tournament appearance in 3 years, and quite possibly a 4th this year. And this last year they barely got in. You are judged by tourney success at the high major level. That's just the way it is. Save me the "look what he started with"..other coaches have done more with less. Yes, this past year was a SMALL step in the right direction, but if they miss the tourney again this year..that success is wiped away..

Nope. Progress isn't linear. KO took a step back before moving forward again.

And how is it all on Wojo?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:44:49 PM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8119 on: July 04, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
No..but it starts with getting the really good in state recruits to go to MU. You need to make it cool to go to MU again. Unfortunately it's the opposite with some in state kids now "it's a dream school" for some of them. Should NEVER be that way. Losing Joey to them would NOT help MU's perception at all..especially since his brother is at MU.

Well it is that way with some.

Rome wasn't built in a day. But I'm sure one of your ancestors was around back then bitching about it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8120 on: July 04, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »

No kidding. Holy crap. Some chicken littles in the Marquette fan base...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8121 on: July 04, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »

Whose older brother is a happy and successful team member who will be a junior upon your arrival?

Yes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8122 on: July 04, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »

Your right, and I fully understood that...but I'd be willing to bet there were a lot of coaches that could have gotten them in the second year with an all american and lottery pick.

Mark, we have gone on and on about this for years..I understand you are content with MU's program being a "nice" program that has some tourney success every once in awhile..But i have always said...I want MU to be elite again..as do MANY others. I get it doesn't happen overnight, but it CAN happen at MU again, and it HAS to start with consistency. Are they getting there?? Hopefully. But my biggest complaint is still that they should have NEVER left that tier(when Buzz was here). Whoever's fault it was (LW and Pilarsz).what they did to MU BB was a travesty and could have been avoided. Wojo was put in a tough spot..and left to clean up the mess...my point being, a mess that should have NEVER happened in the first place.

But, I will tell you what...they will NEVER get back to elite status playing second fiddle in their own state like they have been. It HAS to start by retaking their rightful place as the top program in the state.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8123 on: July 04, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »
But it did happen.....look forward not back.....appreciate what you have and hope for better. Nobody on this board can change what happened or what will happen.

Happy Independence Day everyone.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8124 on: July 04, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
But it did happen.....look forward not back.....appreciate what you have and hope for better. Nobody on this board can change what happened or what will happen.

Happy Independence Day everyone.

This is the most Scoop-appropriate gif I could come up with for Independence Day.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback