Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8755873 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/17
« Reply #8125 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
Nope. Progress isn't linear. KO took a step back before moving forward again.

And how is it all on Wojo?

?? Agree with the first part but KO?
Crean yes but KO?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8126 on: July 04, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
?? Agree with the first part but KO?
Crean yes but KO?

NIT first year.

Losing record the next.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8127 on: July 04, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »
Your right, and I fully understood that...but I'd be willing to bet there were a lot of coaches that could have gotten them in the second year with an all american and lottery pick.

Mark, we have gone on and on about this for years..I understand you are content with MU's program being a "nice" program that has some tourney success every once in awhile..But i have always said...I want MU to be elite again..as do MANY others. I get it doesn't happen overnight, but it CAN happen at MU again, and it HAS to start with consistency. Are they getting there?? Hopefully. But my biggest complaint is still that they should have NEVER left that tier(when Buzz was here). Whoever's fault it was (LW and Pilarsz).what they did to MU BB was a travesty and could have been avoided. Wojo was put in a tough spot..and left to clean up the mess...my point being, a mess that should have NEVER happened in the first place.

But, I will tell you what...they will NEVER get back to elite status playing second fiddle in their own state like they have been. It HAS to start by retaking their rightful place as the top program in the state.

I know you'll feel better about life if your daugther, Muguruza, advances far in Wimbledon. So I'm not gonna get on you for another series of typical, over-the-top, sky-is-falling, Wojo-sucks-if-he-whiffs-on-Joey rants.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8128 on: July 04, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
I know you'll feel better about life if your daugther, Muguruza, advances far in Wimbledon. So I'm not gonna get on you for another series of typical, over-the-top, sky-is-falling, Wojo-sucks-if-he-whiffs-on-Joey rants.

It should be noted, and I have said this before...I'm okay with it if Joey goes to MSU. I am NOT okay with it if he goes to UW however.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8129 on: July 04, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
Lack of success...1 tournament appearance in 3 years, and quite possibly a 4th this year. And this last year they barely got in. You are judged by tourney success at the high major level. That's just the way it is. Save me the "look what he started with"..other coaches have done more with less. Yes, this past year was a SMALL step in the right direction, but if they miss the tourney again this year..that success is wiped away..
I do not agree with this.This team may not make the tournament this year, but it has only one senior on it. A year from now, we could actually be the best team in the Big East. The only thing at this point the team will be missing is a true back up point guard. It is too bad that Traci Carter left.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8130 on: July 04, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
It should be noted, and I have said this before...I'm okay with it if Joey goes to MSU. I am NOT okay with it if he goes to UW however.
That is exactly how I feel.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8131 on: July 04, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »

I have gotten word to the basketball gods, warning them to not cross you on this one. I told them that some anonymous interwebs dweeb who has nothing in his life except Marquette basketball would be "NOT okay" if a teenager opts to go to the state university that has done nothing but win the last two decades.

The gods responded: "Duly noted."

So take that for what it's worth.

Now go enjoy watching your daughter play tennis.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8132 on: July 04, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
What about Iowa, heyna?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8133 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Yes, Wojo has done all he can, relentlessly recruiting Joey for 2+years. Here's the thing:

Some top recruits are long shots, especially for a program like Marquette. Once in a while, though, the stars align to actually make us prohibitive favorites.That's the case here. If we land him it's big. Lose him and it could be even bigger - might convince Wojo that the ceiling at Marquette is lower than he thought.

Good lord Lenny. Are you the prohibitive favorite to nail Mrs. Lenny tonight? What does that mean?

Good luck, by the way

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8134 on: July 04, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
What about Iowa, heyna?

unnatural carnal knowledgein' hell, Fran.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8135 on: July 05, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
I know many here want to "brace themselves" ibcase he goes elsewhere, and I realize it's totally Joey's decision where he goes, but to poo poo it like if he goes elsewhere it's no big deal...well whatever floats your boat. But, as hard as Wojo has worked to recruit him, and the other built in advantages Wojo has...to lose him WOULD be a blow, spin it any way you want, but that's the reality.

Thank God.  For a minute there, I was afraid that we might lose a recruit without the appropriate hand wringing and gnashing of teeth.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8136 on: July 05, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »
Good lord Lenny. Are you the prohibitive favorite to nail Mrs. Lenny tonight? What does that mean?

Good luck, by the way

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #8137 on: July 05, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Yes, Wojo has done all he can, relentlessly recruiting Joey for 2+years. Here's the thing:

Some top recruits are long shots, especially for a program like Marquette. Once in a while, though, the stars align to actually make us prohibitive favorites.That's the case here. If we land him it's big. Lose him and it could be even bigger - might convince Wojo that the ceiling at Marquette is lower than he thought.

How does it make us prohibitive favorites when the flagship university in the state has done this since the kid was a teenager

4th in Big Ten, Sweet 16
4th in Big Ten, First Round
2nd in Big Ten, Final Four
1st in Big Ten, NCAA Runner-Up
3rd in Big Ten, Sweet 16
2nd in Big Ten, Sweet 16

These things go in cycles, and right now Wisconsin is the best team in the state.  We're good, trying to become very good.  They have a leg up on is and all while Joey and players are developing, watching, cheering on the flagship school.  This is why O'Neill's accomplishments are lesser in my book than people give credit for, because Wisconsin absolutely sucked when he was the coach. That has not been the case any coach that followed him.

Having his brother at MU may be an advantage or may not.  None of us know this.  Why did the Barry brothers not play together, instead splitting between Oregon State and Georgia Tech?  Luke and Tyler Zeller? Trufant brothers? Rush brothers (Kareem went to Missouri, JaRon UCLA), Sterling and Shannon Sharpe? Remember Horace and Harvey Grant - they went to Clemson together for only a year, then split ways. Wilkins bros. 

The list of bros going to school together is much longer, but nothing is definite.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8138 on: July 05, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
How does it make us prohibitive favorites when the flagship university in the state has done this since the kid was a teenager

4th in Big Ten, Sweet 16
3rd in Big Ten, Sweet 16
2nd in Big Ten, Sweet 16

These things go in cycles, and right now Wisconsin is the best team in the state.  We're good, trying to become very good.  They have a leg up on is and all while Joey and players are developing, watching, cheering on the flagship school.  This is why O'Neill's accomplishments are lesser in my book than people give credit for, because Wisconsin absolutely sucked when he was the coach. That has not been the case any coach that followed him.

Having his brother at MU may be an advantage or may not.  None of us know this.  Why did the Barry brothers not play together, instead splitting between Oregon State and Georgia Tech?  Luke and Tyler Zeller? Trufant brothers? Rush brothers (Kareem went to Missouri, JaRon UCLA), Sterling and Shannon Sharpe? Remember Horace and Harvey Grant - they went to Clemson together for only a year, then split ways. Wilkins bros. 

The list of bros going to school together is much longer, but nothing is definite.

Or how about Jeff and Jason Capel?

Jeff went to Duke.  Jason went to the in-state, public university archrival. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8139 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »

Whoever said it was definite? But, as you point out, the list of brothers going to school together is MUCH LONGER than the list of brothers going to different schools. That's the primary reason we should be prohibitive favorites for Joey. Thanks for (however unintentionally) reinforcing my point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8140 on: July 05, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
Whoever said it was definite? But, as you point out, the list of brothers going to school together is MUCH LONGER than the list of brothers going to different schools. That's the primary reason we should be prohibitive favorites for Joey. Thanks for (however unintentionally) reinforcing my point.

Is the list of brothers going to school together "much longer?"  I'm not sure that's a statement I agree with.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8141 on: July 05, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Is the list of brothers going to school together "much longer?"  I'm not sure that's a statement I agree with.

That what Chico said - just taking him at his word.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8142 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »

4th in Big Ten, Sweet 16
3rd in Big Ten, Sweet 16
2nd in Big Ten, Sweet 16

Is Bo still coaching? Gard has been coaching Bo's recruits and just lost his best recruiting assistant. Wisconsin completely ignored Sam. The recruits coming in for Wisconsin are question marks, whereas Sam and Markus are a proven young core. In many ways, this is a must win recruit for Gard as this upcoming season is a major rebuild for him. Lots of uncertainty to the West if you are a recruit of Joey's caliber, while there is close (family) intel on Marquette.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:46:14 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8143 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
you forgot Cody Zeller......all 3 went to different schools.

Mike Brey was a prohibitive favorite after landing Luke to get all 3 obviously..........amazing that he let Tyler go to NC and Cody go to IU.

I guess ND did ok after Brey didn't close the deal on the trifecta.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8144 on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:48 AM »

4th in Big Ten, Sweet 16
3rd in Big Ten, Sweet 16
2nd in Big Ten, Sweet 16

Never miss a chance to defend Crean.
Never miss a chance to pump up Wisconsin.

Got it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8145 on: July 06, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
how pointing out a fact that Wisconsin has been better is defending them? They're on an incredible run it'd be defending them is someone pointed out how we've been better historically and he countered they've been better recently or said something about higher academic standards or something. That's defending them. The fact is WI has been better during Joeys life especially recently
Maigh Eo for Sam

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #8146 on: July 06, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »

Or how about Jeff and Jason Capel?

Jeff went to Duke.  Jason went to the in-state, public university archrival.

My focus was on brothers that could actually play together (Joey & Sam).  Jason and Jeff were separated by too much age.  That is also why I didn't include the third Zeller brother because of age gap. Same for Bruce and Clay Matthews at USC, and others.

You are welcome. 

I didn't say anyone implied or stated it was definite.  The term prohibitive favorite is where my focus was.  That's a speculative term at best.  It may be true, may not, but unless we're inside the mind and heart of Joey Hauser, it cannot be anything more than that.  Examples provided to show where brothers capable of playing with one another chose not to, for whatever reason.

Purely an opinion of mine based on a degrading memory bank (my brain).   Some of these are twins, which rarely go in different directions to play when both have same opportunity at same school.

Ellensons (Marquette)
Lope brothers (Stanford)
Three Plumlee brothers (Duke)
Mikans (DePaul)
OBannons (UCLA)
Collins (Stanford)
Morris (Kansas)
Van Arsdales (Indiana)
Grahams (Oklahoma State)
Barbers (Virginia)
McCourtys
Pounceys
Balls (UCLA, remains to be seen if any play together)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8147 on: July 06, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
McCray brothers, who might of went to MU had Al not retired.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8148 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Yeah, Balls playin' tagether bares watchin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8149 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »
Yeah, Balls playin' tagether bares watchin', hey?

If you're into that kinda thing I guess...