[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8457671 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/17
« Reply #6200 on: March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
I really want Joey here in 2018, but honestly, I think a PG in that class is a bigger need. At least a combo that can grow into the role. We've seen how things can go from bad to disastrous when you don't have a quality PG.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6201 on: March 23, 2017, 07:56:37 AM »
This is the textbook definition of a sexist comment.

Besides, any player who chooses where to play based on the perceived attractiveness of girls on campus is not the kind of player I want at Marquette.
Lighten up Francis. Fact of the matter is 18 year old boys often think with their little head. Besides it was a joke.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6202 on: March 23, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
I really want Joey here in 2018, but honestly, I think a PG in that class is a bigger need. At least a combo that can grow into the role. We've seen how things can go from bad to disastrous when you don't have a quality PG.

We are certain now that Markus can't be our PG? I'm not being a wise-arse, just curious what folks think.

I like to believe he can improve his PG skills - driving/dishing, decision-making, strength with ball, etc. He seems like a hard-working kid and he has occasionally shown some of these skills already.

I understand those who want a more "pure" PG, but I do find it interesting that after all the complaints about our succession of PGs who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, we finally have a kid who can score and now we're looking for something else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6203 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
I think Markus can grow into a point guard role and will be fine.  Getting one in 2018 does make sense, but I wouldn't call it a bigger need than Joey Hauser.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6204 on: March 23, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
It is Year 4 of Wojo and he finally now has his guys here for the Duke system (I have opined before on why it took so long). Combo guards, not pure PGs, are valued in that system. While we could have used Traci with players like Luke, he was not a fit long term and saw it.

Thus, the need is a combo guard for Wojo's system, whether us posters agree with the system or not. Hopefully a combo with a good handle and lateral quickness, something lacking now. And yes, Markus has plenty potential to develop but MU needs the depth.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6205 on: March 23, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
We are certain now that Markus can't be our PG? I'm not being a wise-arse, just curious what folks think.

I am perfectly fine with Markus as our PG. I don't like him being our only PG.

After Rowsey leaves, there is no one who I would trust to play the point other than Markus. Cheatham will be the only guy on the roster who's played the position and it's not exactly his strong suit.

What if Howard goes pro after his sophomore or junior year? You need someone there.

With our roster, Joey Hauser would be really nice, but not make or break. A PG in 2018? Maybe it won't be as sexy a name, but more critical to roster balance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6206 on: March 23, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
I think we sign a point guard to go along with either Joey or Race.

I'm not sure why I'm even entertaining the possibility because unless he's mentioned having interest in looking at MU again I assume there's no mutual interest whatsoever, but my guess is a guard that has played for 3 years in Tony Bennett's system probably has the ability to play on the ball in a backup role.  If we got Shayok here I would guess he could play the point when Howard went to the bench.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6207 on: March 23, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »
It is Year 4 of Wojo and he finally now has his guys here for the Duke system (I have opined before on why it took so long). Combo guards, not pure PGs, are valued in that system. While we could have used Traci with players like Luke, he was not a fit long term and saw it.

Thus, the need is a combo guard for Wojo's system, whether us posters agree with the system or not. Hopefully a combo with a good handle and lateral quickness, something lacking now. And yes, Markus has plenty potential to develop but MU needs the depth.

OT... Is Markus' Duke comparison Jon Scheyer?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6208 on: March 23, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
If Shayok were a grad transfer and eligible immediately, you do it. (OT - do we know he's not graduating in 3?). But he's not worth burning 2 years worth of scholarships for one year of play when you have highly regarded recruits that you can potentially get. I get that it's a risk that those go unfilled with our initial targets, but I'm confident we will fill them with worthy HS candidates in either the short term or with a worthwhile grad transfer if things fall through.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6209 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »
Remind me guys.  Shayok was one of those Buzz commits that left when he did, correct?  And he's a grad or traditional transfer now?  There's any indication we're talking to him?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6210 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
And is Elliott the ONLY 2017 HS grad we're seriously talking to right now?

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #6211 on: March 23, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Remind me guys.  Shayok was one of those Buzz commits that left when he did, correct?  And he's a grad or traditional transfer now?  There's any indication we're talking to him?

Yes, he left when Buzz left -- but Wojo tried hard to keep him in the fold. He's a traditional transfer now as far as I know. No clue if we're talking to him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6212 on: March 23, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
Guaranteed we're passin' on dis dude. Just more Scoop pe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6213 on: March 23, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »

Correct. Looks like he's a traditional transfer though there are rumors he may be able to graduate. I was reading last night he may be a year ahead because of the school he went to in Canada prior to enrolling in the US.

No indication we are talking to him yet, but usually it takes at least a few days before school lists pop up. Especially right now when the tourney is still going on, probably won't see a lot of concrete info until after the NCAA final.

Maybe? I think we may try to get involved with some of the coaching carousel casualties. The kid from Indiana, Clifton Moore, has been mentioned, but at this point, Elliott is the only name we solidly know about. My guess is we'll probably know more on that front in a little over a week (official to MSU on 3/31).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6214 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
That wouldn't matter, we could still get jammed up on scholarships for next year's class, and be left having to dump Bailey who's been counting on a spot and closed his recruiting for two years, tell Joey to go to Wisconsin, go into 2018-19 with Howard the only point guard on the roster, or have Wojo make his first Buzzcut.

Ummm. Not really.  We have three open for this year, one for next year (Bailey).  If we add one grad transfer for next season, we'll have an additional spot for Joey in 18-19.  If we add 2 grad transfers for 17-18, we'll have 3 openings for 18-19 (1 for Bailey, 1 for Joey, 1 for BPA).

Edit: there is also the possibility that we bank of scholarship for 17-18, in addition to grabbing a grad transfer.  Lots of possibilities still, but I am not overly concerned about 18-19 at the moment.  It will work itself out. 

And this all assumes no transfers between now and then.  So not sure what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:50:33 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6215 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »

Looks like Stan is after Clifton Moore.  PF committed to Indiana.  Has already asked for his release. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #6216 on: March 23, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
If Shayok were a grad transfer and eligible immediately, you do it. (OT - do we know he's not graduating in 3?). But he's not worth burning 2 years worth of scholarships for one year of play when you have highly regarded recruits that you can potentially get. I get that it's a risk that those go unfilled with our initial targets, but I'm confident we will fill them with worthy HS candidates in either the short term or with a worthwhile grad transfer if things fall through.
Burning two years for one season on the court worked with Robert Jackson.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6217 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »

That wasn't a universal statement that NO ONE is worth that course of action. Just that I don't believe Shayok is.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6218 on: March 23, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »

It did, but the problem here is the scholarship table. Let's say everything goes swimmingly and we get Elliott and a grad transfer. Here's 2017-18, with Shayok:

Guards (4): Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham, Elliott
Wings (5): Anim, Cain, Hauser, Shayok, Grad Transfer
Bigs (4): Heldt, Froling, John, Eke

If Shayok has to sit out a year, that means we only open up two scholarships, Rowsey and the grad transfer. So in 2018-19, with Bailey taking Rowsey's scholarship, that leaves us with only one scholarship. Do we use that on Joey Hauser and have Howard as our only point guard with Cheatham and Elliott backing him up? Or do we forego Joey in favor of a point guard?

I'm all for Shayok, but if he isn't a grad transfer, it's tough to see him on this roster, unless we miss out on Elliott and don't bring in any other 2017 kids.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6219 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
This is the textbook definition of a sexist comment.

Besides, any player who chooses where to play based on the perceived attractiveness of girls on campus is not the kind of player I want at Marquette.
Bwahahahaha I can't even measure the awesomeness of this take
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6220 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

The only one we are officially talking to.

Unofficially, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some behind the scenes conversations with some recruits who are currently committed to teams that no longer have the coach that originally recruited them. Galan Alexander would look mighty nice in blue and gold.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6221 on: March 23, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
The only one we are officially talking to.

Unofficially, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some behind the scenes conversations with some recruits who are currently committed to teams that no longer have the coach that originally recruited them. Galan Alexander would look mighty nice in blue and gold.

Alexander affirmed his commitment to LSU.  Saw some tweet this morning.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6222 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »

The other thing to consider is that MU would be pretty logjammed at the wing when Shayok becomes eligible.
In 2018-19, MU already has on the wing: Cheatham, Cain, Anim, Bailey, Cain and quite possibly S. Hauser.
Seems like Shayok would at best be a luxury.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6223 on: March 23, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
It did, but the problem here is the scholarship table. Let's say everything goes swimmingly and we get Elliott and a grad transfer. Here's 2017-18, with Shayok:

Guards (4): Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham, Elliott
Wings (5): Anim, Cain, Hauser, Shayok, Grad Transfer
Bigs (4): Heldt, Froling, John, Eke

If Shayok has to sit out a year, that means we only open up two scholarships, Rowsey and the grad transfer. So in 2018-19, with Bailey taking Rowsey's scholarship, that leaves us with only one scholarship. Do we use that on Joey Hauser and have Howard as our only point guard with Cheatham and Elliott backing him up? Or do we forego Joey in favor of a point guard?

I'm all for Shayok, but if he isn't a grad transfer, it's tough to see him on this roster, unless we miss out on Elliott and don't bring in any other 2017 kids.

This is true, but roster spots can be made to appear when you need them to. If you have a chance at a guy who can help you now, you take him and figure out roster space later. Not saying that Shayok is a guy we should get but  I'm not worried about not having enough scholarships in 18-19.

I'm also not sold on the Elliot kid making it here. I think an MSU offer will be too much to pass up. They only have 10 players on the roster for next season and are likely to drop to 9. I think Izzo will want some depth. Though that number could go up if Ben Carter gets a 6th year on his clock. He's got a pretty good case for it.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6224 on: March 23, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »

Alexander affirmed his commitment to LSU.  Saw some tweet this morning.

You are correct. Corey Evans tweeted it. So probably unlikely. A few other names that would be interesting though.
TAMU

feedback