[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336428 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/17
« Reply #6175 on: March 22, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »

The only problem is with only one senior next year, it could clog stuff up come 2018 especially if Elliott comes here.  With Bailey on board, and a spot set aside for Hauser, we probably wouldn't want to fill out the sole remaining spot for this coming year.

We will have at least one grad transfer.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6176 on: March 22, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

How do you know this?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #6177 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
How do you know this?

Because we always do?  Maybe...?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6178 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
How do you know this?

I don't.  But an obvious need mixed with three available scholarships and only one maybe two current highschoolers looking at Marquette, and Wojos past of hunting big fish on the grad transfer market,  it paints a pretty clear picture.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6179 on: March 22, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
I'm sure we will be fishing in the pond.......catching 1 is far from a sure thing.

We got 1 in Wojo's first year......missed on the 2 we tried for the following year and got 1 of the 2 or 3 we tried for last season.

Grads have lots of options if they are worth taking.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6180 on: March 22, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »
I'm sure we will be fishing in the pond.......catching 1 is far from a sure thing.

We got 1 in Wojo's first year......missed on the 2 we tried for the following year and got 1 of the 2 or 3 we tried for last season.

who were the other players we tried getting last year i forgot

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #6181 on: March 22, 2017, 07:13:13 PM »
who were the other players we tried getting last year i forgot

L.G. Gill who went to Maryland

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6182 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
L.G. Gill who went to Maryland
Oh yeah, he did nothing this year

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6183 on: March 22, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
Another familiar face is transferring. Josh Nebo from St. Francis (PA). Not sure of fit....banger type PF, no outside shot....but NEC Defensive player of the year
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6184 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »

MU is also far more attractive than it's been the past 3 years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6185 on: March 22, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »

The only problem is with only one senior next year, it could clog stuff up come 2018 especially if Elliott comes here.  With Bailey on board, and a spot set aside for Hauser, we probably wouldn't want to fill out the sole remaining spot for this coming year.

I hear what you're saying, Sultan, but haven't we learned that there's pretty much always going to be a scholarship open? Someone will leave or get Pole Axed or something, no?

I would take Shayok in a heartbeat. In 2018-19, with the others we'll have returning (led by Sam, Markus, Theo and Froling) and the other newbies arriving (Bailey and hopefully Joey and Elliott), Shayok could be a major part of a Final Four run.

You don't pass on proven talent. And you gotta know Shayok would love to play in an offensive system like Wojo's after the slo-mo crap he endured at Va.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6186 on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:50 PM »
'member Shayok was a Bumstead recruit, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6187 on: March 22, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
'member Shayok was a Bumstead recruit, ai na?
so what, he can't go to VPI.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6188 on: March 22, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
Another familiar face is transferring. Josh Nebo from St. Francis (PA). Not sure of fit....banger type PF, no outside shot....but NEC Defensive player of the year

We could use the defensive player of the the year from any conference.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6189 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:12 PM »
If Shayok decided not to come to MU after meeting Wojo three years ago, why would he suddenly want to play here now?  I'd love to see him here, but I'm not holding my breath.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6190 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
If Shayok decided not to come to MU after meeting Wojo three years ago, why would he suddenly want to play here now?  I'd love to see him here, but I'm not holding my breath.

He likely doesn't.  If MU is even interested.  But Wojo was a brand new coach that he had no relationship with.  Now he has been there three years and has a track record. 

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6191 on: March 22, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »
I hear what you're saying, Sultan, but haven't we learned that there's pretty much always going to be a scholarship open? Someone will leave or get Pole Axed or something, no?

I would take Shayok in a heartbeat. In 2018-19, with the others we'll have returning (led by Sam, Markus, Theo and Froling) and the other newbies arriving (Bailey and hopefully Joey and Elliott), Shayok could be a major part of a Final Four run.

You don't pass on proven talent. And you gotta know Shayok would love to play in an offensive system like Wojo's after the slo-mo crap he endured at Va.
I feel like he would play great in the open court. Can he shoot the 3 ball?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6192 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
I feel like he would play great in the open court. Can he shoot the 3 ball?

Career .374, though he tailed off to .328 this past season after .436 as a soph. Fairly limited sample size - has attempted only 1.4 per game over career.

As for him having "rejected" Wojo after Buzz left, very different circumstance. He obviously liked Marquette (even if he committed here mostly because of Buzz), and one certainly would think he'd like Wojo's offense and the opportunity he'd have here.

And yes, the man can play D.

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to see Wojo make a run at him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6193 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
I don't know Joey or Sam or anybody named Hauser. I don't pretend to have any insight into Marquette recruiting or to recruiting within the state of Wisconsin, nor do I talk to "insiders" who claim to have such insight.

So I just ask a series of questions to determine likelihood of Joey choosing Marquette:

Did Sam have a good experience with the team this season?

Do his parents believe he had a good experience?

Does Sam like Marquette as an educational institution?

Do his parents like what Sam is getting academically out of Marquette?

Does Joey like the idea of being Sam's teammate in college?

If the answers to all 5 questions are "yes" then I would think that would put Marquette firmly in the driver's seat for Joey.

If the answer to even one of those questions is "no," it would not be a great sign for Marquette landing Joey.

Keep it simple.
Add item number 6: What is the quality of the Marquette Coeds. That is usually the clincher for a teenager.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6194 on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:35 AM »

What if "pretty much always" becomes not this time the one year you're counting on it?  Then Wojo will have to cut a kid, something most programs are loath to do when the kid is putting in the time and effort in the classroom and on the court.  I think that Sultan's point is that if we take Shayok, no one leaves, and Bailey and Joey come on board (as appears likely) then we go into 2018-19 with Howard the only point guard on the team's roster.  I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  Is it fair to ask Sacar to take a powder when he's already used up what would have been his transfer year here as a redshirt trying to get better, so that he's left with only three years to play?  What might that do to Minnesota recruiting?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6195 on: March 23, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »

That wouldn't matter, we could still get jammed up on scholarships for next year's class, and be left having to dump Bailey who's been counting on a spot and closed his recruiting for two years, tell Joey to go to Wisconsin, go into 2018-19 with Howard the only point guard on the roster, or have Wojo make his first Buzzcut.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #6196 on: March 23, 2017, 06:36:06 AM »
Add item number 6: What is the quality of the Marquette Coeds. That is usually the clincher for a teenager.
This is the textbook definition of a sexist comment.

Besides, any player who chooses where to play based on the perceived attractiveness of girls on campus is not the kind of player I want at Marquette. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6197 on: March 23, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
This is the textbook definition of a sexist comment.

Besides, any player who chooses where to play based on the perceived attractiveness of girls on campus is not the kind of player I want at Marquette.

K.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6198 on: March 23, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »
What if "pretty much always" becomes not this time the one year you're counting on it?  Then Wojo will have to cut a kid, something most programs are loath to do when the kid is putting in the time and effort in the classroom and on the court.  I think that Sultan's point is that if we take Shayok, no one leaves, and Bailey and Joey come on board (as appears likely) then we go into 2018-19 with Howard the only point guard on the team's roster.  I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  Is it fair to ask Sacar to take a powder when he's already used up what would have been his transfer year here as a redshirt trying to get better, so that he's left with only three years to play?  What might that do to Minnesota recruiting?

Yes this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6199 on: March 23, 2017, 07:49:39 AM »

I'd take the chance and get Shayok. You don't make the Final Four by being afraid.

Having said that ...

I certainly understand and respect your viewpoint, and it wouldn't bother me in the least if Wojo agrees with you. It's probably the more pragmatic option, whereas mine is bolder and leaves open the possibility of the kind of situation you describe.