[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8432408 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/22
« Reply #32925 on: September 15, 2022, 10:26:37 AM »
No one said it was "out of the respect for a silent verbal commitment" that no one reached out.  And no one even claimed that coaches of top programs didn't make a ten minute phone call!  I am sure some of them did.  What people are saying is that he committed to Marquette and stuck with that commitment despite putting up some head turning numbers this summer.  I think at one point, some recruiting guy said that Norman is "a very loyal kid" (or something similar) when asked why other offers didn't seem to be coming.

You do realize that not every "ten minute phone call" is reported out to recruiting gurus right?

I think you need to read some of the posts here more closely.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32926 on: September 15, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »

"thought the recruitment was over"? and this from people who should know better than most? 

MUFan12 posted the tweet I think both Sultan and I were referencing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32927 on: September 15, 2022, 10:28:18 AM »
Coaches aren't allowed to comment on unsigned recruits and Tre's camp didn't report additional interest after they committed. That's why there was no perceived blowup.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32928 on: September 15, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »
I'm OK with accepting the fact that Tre Norman was recruited by the schools he was recruited by. It doesn't mean he won't be a great player for Marquette.
I don't need to come up with a fanciful tale in which better programs chose not to get involved with a potential top 15, 5-star talent out of respect for a silent verbal commitment.
Or that coaches of top programs won't make a 10-minute phone call to a potential top 15, 5-star talent and extend an offer because it's just such a big waste of time.

No one is coming up with a fanciful tale. We got the commitment before Norman's big summer. Other programs did come calling but Norman made it clear he was committed. Schools can't announce who they are talking to or offering. It is up to the recruit to announce it.

Where did you get "coaches of top programs won't make a 10-minute phone call to a potential top 15, 5-star talent and extend an offer because just such a big waste of time"? No one has said anything remotely close to that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32929 on: September 15, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
Where did you get "coaches of top programs won't make a 10-minute phone call to a potential top 15, 5-star talent and extend an offer because just such a big waste of time"? No one has said anything remotely close to that.

Several posts in the thread argue that coaches didn't offer or recruit Norman because they didn't want to waste their time.
How they knew it would be a waste of time without recruiting him is a mystery.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32930 on: September 15, 2022, 11:09:14 AM »
Several posts in the thread argue that coaches didn't offer or recruit Norman because they didn't want to waste their time.
How they knew it would be a waste of time without recruiting him is a mystery.

...You do realize that coaches usually don't just cold call kids with an offer right? Usually there are several phone calls, texts, visits to practices/games/home before offers happen. So if Norman committed back in April/May and then blew up in June/July, there were likely coaches who called for the first time in June/July after he was committed. Yes, sometimes a player will go back on a verbal commitment, but if a player's response to your first call is, "sorry coach, I'm committed to Marquette and I'm not changing my mind", most probably aren't going to pursue any further.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32931 on: September 15, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
...You do realize that coaches usually don't just cold call kids with an offer right? Usually there are several phone calls, texts, visits to practices/games/home before offers happen. So if Norman committed back in April/May and then blew up in June/July, there were likely coaches who called for the first time in June/July after he was committed. Yes, sometimes a player will go back on a verbal commitment, but if a player's response to your first call is, "sorry coach, I'm committed to Marquette and I'm not changing my mind", most probably aren't going to pursue any further.

Makes sense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32932 on: September 15, 2022, 11:16:06 AM »

You do realize that the "several phone calls, texts, visits to practices/games/home before offers happen" is what we often refer to as "recruiting."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #32933 on: September 15, 2022, 11:33:27 AM »
You do realize that the "several phone calls, texts, visits to practices/games/home before offers happen" is what we often refer to as "recruiting."
Only if the texts states "I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32934 on: September 15, 2022, 11:36:43 AM »
Only if the texts states "I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. A whole lot."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32935 on: September 15, 2022, 11:54:40 AM »

...exactly. What I and others have been trying to tell you is that there were a few schools that tried to start recruiting Norman in June/July but he shut them down because he was already committed by the time they reached out, hence no more offers. It was a fait accompli as Andrew Slater put it.

If you want to say that you don't believe that other schools contacted Norman in June/July because it wasn't reported publicly, that's fine, it's your prerogative.  Brew and JFP have given good recruiting information in the past but you're under no obligation to believe them.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32936 on: September 15, 2022, 12:09:21 PM »
Scoopers pick the oddest hills to make their stand.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32937 on: September 15, 2022, 12:26:10 PM »
...exactly. What I and others have been trying to tell you is that there were a few schools that tried to start recruiting Norman in June/July but he shut them down because he was already committed by the time they reached out, hence no more offers. It was a fait accompli as Andrew Slater put it.

If you want to say that you don't believe that other schools contacted Norman in June/July because it wasn't reported publicly, that's fine, it's your prerogative.  Brew and JFP have given good recruiting information in the past but you're under no obligation to believe them.

This isn't what I'm saying at all. I'd be very surprised if other schools didn't contact Norman in June/July. I just don't buy that they were somehow deterred by a secret silent verbal to Marquette. We know coaches continue to recruit kids after public verbals. But this secret silent verbal was a force shield around Tre.
If you choose to believe that, it's your prerogative.
I'm glad Tre Norman is coming to Marquette, regardless of who recruited him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32938 on: September 15, 2022, 12:36:35 PM »
Not asking re Norman but recruiting in general in this new landscape ...

An athlete officially commits in November on the first day of the early signing period but then decides a few months later that he really wants to go elsewhere. He asks out of his letter of intent but the school says no. Can he enter the transfer portal the way a college player does even though he's still in HS?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32939 on: September 15, 2022, 12:37:06 PM »
Pakuni providing quality entertainment at least
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32940 on: September 15, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
This isn't what I'm saying at all. I'd be very surprised if other schools didn't contact Norman in June/July. I just don't buy that they were somehow deterred by a secret silent verbal to Marquette. We know coaches continue to recruit kids after public verbals. But this secret silent verbal was a force shield around Tre.

How many kids a year switch schools after a commitment? A small handful a year? My guess is that those that do switch probably gave some indication of being open to hearing other offers. If a recruit tells a coach full stop that he is committed elsewhere and not changing his mind, that probably is going to deter 99% of coaches.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32941 on: September 15, 2022, 12:49:45 PM »
...You do realize that coaches usually don't just cold call kids with an offer right? Usually there are several phone calls, texts, visits to practices/games/home before offers happen. So if Norman committed back in April/May and then blew up in June/July, there were likely coaches who called for the first time in June/July after he was committed. Yes, sometimes a player will go back on a verbal commitment, but if a player's response to your first call is, "sorry coach, I'm committed to Marquette and I'm not changing my mind. Green weenie, aina?", most probably aren't going to pursue any further.

FIFY

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #32942 on: September 15, 2022, 12:58:38 PM »
How many kids a year switch schools after a commitment? A small handful a year? My guess is that those that do switch probably gave some indication of being open to hearing other offers. If a recruit tells a coach full stop that he is committed elsewhere and not changing his mind, that probably is going to deter 99% of coaches.

How many kids a year get a call from a blue blood offering them $500K more than whatever school they are silently verbally committed to?

And if so much focus by these coaches that know more than us, so thus know the numbers Tre put up and what kind of company that puts him in, I do think an offer comes VERY early in their communication to that kid.  I don't think coaches who know they're behind on recruiting a kid wait around and try to build a relationship if they're trying to get in, knowing it's last minute.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:00:37 PM by WithoutBias »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32943 on: September 15, 2022, 01:02:32 PM »

How many kids switch after a secret verbal?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32944 on: September 15, 2022, 01:03:13 PM »
How many kids a year get a call from a blue blood offering them $500K more than whatever school they are silently verbally committed to?

And if so much focus by these coaches that know more than us, so thus know the numbers Tre put up and what kind of company that puts him in, I do think an offer comes VERY early in their communication to that kid.  I don't think coaches who know they're behind on recruiting a kid wait around and try to build a relationship if they're trying to get in, knowing it's last minute.

Who's saying that Norman got a blue blood offer and $500K?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32945 on: September 15, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »

I included that in "commitments". A small handful.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32946 on: September 15, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
Pakuni providing quality entertainment at least

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32947 on: September 15, 2022, 01:06:25 PM »
I included that in "commitments". A small handful.

Sounds like these verbals aren't so secret and silent if you know about them.
Then again, you are a wizard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32948 on: September 15, 2022, 01:06:54 PM »

Maybe they were, maybe they weren't, but the Norman family didn't pass significant information along after May and certainly not in June/July when people were asking when more offers would come in.

Remember, the vast majority of recruiting info that makes it to 247, On3, and other recruiting sites or Twitter is because the family or coaches are talking. That didn't happen with Tre and multiple people here are telling you it's because the recruitment was done. I don't know exactly when he committed, but I do know that in early July the Marquette staff was certain he WAS committed.

Maybe Few and Bennett and others were texting or calling every day until September and the texts were left unread while the calls went to voicemail. Or maybe they talked seriously to those programs and kept it quiet while choosing to stick with Marquette.

But as Andrew Slater said, this was a fait accompli in July (and probably long before) and there was knowledge that no matter what happened, Norman was coming here, even if he waited until Clarke's birthday to make that Facebook official.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #32949 on: September 15, 2022, 01:26:05 PM »

Depends if it is a secret verbal or a super secret double probation verbal. The latter--about 50% of the time. Secret verbals though are generally respected.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback