Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8755380 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/20
« Reply #26650 on: June 17, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
nm

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #26651 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
At least this old timer was around MU's golden age of basketball when men could slug it out in the locker room or even with the coach without quitting the team or disciplined. I was around when players or coach's could express their opinions or wear t-shirts without fear of getting fired; or Editors losing their job because the news reporters at their newspaper did not like the opinion of an editorial.  Its the times we live in and Scoop is just a microcosm. At least here we can express unpopular opinions, and I hope Scoop sticks around because I would miss it.

Omitting 99% of what happened in those instances is not a good look for the foundation of your opinion.

To stay on thread, recruiting is an exercise in habit these days. Everything is at a standstill.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26652 on: June 17, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
And Gundy wasn't in trouble simply because he wore an OAN shirt.  That became obvious from all the Tweets from alums of the program that followed.  Same with Iowa.

If anything, this movement is allowing people who have had bad experiences to be empowered to speak out.  And that's good!  Coaches who have built a comfortable little empire aren't untouchable.  And they should run their programs ethically.

This isn't a widespread movement against college football coaches.  I'm sure there are plenty of coaches that have a zero tolerance for racial statements, etc.  (Sad sentence to have to type.)  In fact the number of coaches that AREN'T being called out is much greater than those who are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26653 on: June 17, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
Since there's been flurry of activity in the past few days, here's a list of all the recent contacts (credit to mostly muguru for posting them here as they come in):

2021:
Lucas Taylor: SG from NC, ranked #132 by Rivals.
Kameron Jones: PG from TN, unranked by 247. Only high major offers are MU and Florida

2022:
Gradey Dick: SF from KS, ranked #34 by 247
Kamari Lands SF from IN, ranked #37 by 247
Camden Heide: SF from MN, ranked #39 by 247
Roddy Gayle: SG from NY, ranked #43 by 247
Justin Taylor SF from VA, ranked #48 by 247
Noah Batchelor: SF from MD, ranked #52 by 247
Rodney Rice: CG from MD, ranked #54 by 247
Prince Aligbe: SF from MN, ranked #58 by 247
Judah Mintz: PG from DC, ranked #61 by 247
Zocko Littleton: PG from GA, ranked #64 by 247.
Ty Rodgers: SF from MI, ranked # 65 by 247
Jameel Brown CG from PA, ranekd #71 by 247
Willie Lightfoot: PG from KS, ranked #84 by 247
Mason Manning: PG from MS, ranked #87 by 247
JJ Starling: PG from NY, ranked #91 by Rivals
Tamin Lipsey: PG from IA, ranked #93 by 247
Kendall Blue: SG from MN, ranked #93 on Rivals
Alex Karaban: SF from NH, ranked #99 by Rivals
Jasen Green: SF from NE, ranked #116 by Rivals
Jaquan Harris: PG from NJ, ranked #125 by Rivals
Perry Smith Jr SF from SC, ranked #145 by Rivals
Jaden Schutt: SG from IL, ranked #146 by Rivals
Fletcher Loyer: SG from MI, unranked by 247. High major offers from Michigan, Nebraska, and Purdue
Kyle Filipowski: C from MA, unranked by 247. High major offers from UCLA, UConn, Maryland, Providence, and Xavier
JaVaughn Hannah: SG from MI, ranked by 247. High major offers from MU, TAMU, Arizona State, Ole Miss, DePaul, and Washington State
Elvis Nnaji: PF rom MN, unranked by 247. High major offers from MU and Minnesota
Trey Pettigrew: CG from IL, unranked by 247. High major offers from Illinois and Penn State
Danilo Jovanovich SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Leon Bond: SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Jeffrey Brazziel: SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Nik Graves: PG from NC, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Jack Rose: SG from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Cade Tyson: SF from NC, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Danny Wolf PF from IL, unranked by 247. No high major offers
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26654 on: June 17, 2020, 11:00:05 AM »
Nice
Thx TAMU

Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26655 on: June 17, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
I have a few first thoughts as I look at that list all together.

1. Either Wojo is very confident about landing a big man in 2021, or he is fully embracing the small ball strategy. Only 1 C and 2 PFs on that entire list, and all 3 of those are currently unranked by both 247 and Rivals
2. Those who had concerns that Wojo isn't checking in on local talent can rest easy. Staying in contact with a bunch of recruits from the area who aren't at high major level yet but may develop there
3. I think Wojo has offered Kendall Brown's entire team at Sunrise Academy. Didn't work with Jalen Johnson, maybe it will work here.
4. This one comes with a huge grain of salt because I think the pandemic will have a huge impact on the accuracy of recruiting services, but it seems Wojo may be settling into the same recruiting sweet spot that Crean and Buzz did. 3 and 4 star recruits, topping out at #30 and ranging down to the 300s. In past years, Wojo spent a lot of time on home runs that never panned out (Grimes, Mannion, Suggs, etc). Maybe he's embraced focusing on the top talent in the next layer and developing it. This list is hardly definitive proof, just musing out loud
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26656 on: June 17, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

1. Either Wojo is very confident about landing a big man in 2021, or he is fully embracing the small ball strategy. Only 1 C and 2 PFs on that entire list, and all 3 of those are currently unranked by both 247 and Rivals
2. Those who had concerns that Wojo isn't checking in on local talent can rest easy. Staying in contact with a bunch of recruits from the area who aren't at high major level yet but may develop there
3. I think Wojo has offered Kendall Brown's entire team at Sunrise Academy. Didn't work with Jalen Johnson, maybe it will work here.
4. This one comes with a huge grain of salt because I think the pandemic will have a huge impact on the accuracy of recruiting services, but it seems Wojo may be settling into the same recruiting sweet spot that Crean and Buzz did. 3 and 4 star recruits, topping out at #30 and ranging down to the 300s. In past years, Wojo spent a lot of time on home runs that never panned out (Grimes, Mannion, Suggs, etc). Maybe he's embraced focusing on the top talent in the next layer and developing it. This list is hardly definitive proof, just musing out loud

Was just going to comment on this.  Maybe all those posts about how bridges have been burned regarding in-state recruiting have been overblown hey?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26657 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
I wonder how self aware you are.  You post nothing but 'witty' commentary.

I'm not excusing their behavior, but come on man.

As far as I know there is no Scoop rule prohibiting "witty" comments. As for political comments, that's a horse of a different feather, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #26658 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
2022:

Really hope we get these two guys!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26659 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »

As far as I know there is no Scoop rule prohibiting "witty" comments. As for political comments, that's a horse of a different feather, aina?

If there is no prohibition, what has been stopping you from making a comment approaching witty?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26660 on: June 17, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »

eye dohnt unnerstand wat ewe r sayin heer, hey-ho?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26661 on: June 17, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »

3. I think Wojo has offered Kendall Brown’s entire team at Sunrise Academy. Didn't work with Jalen Johnson, maybe it will work here.

Great list and supplemental info. I don’t see a Kendall Brown on your list, though. I see Jameel Brown and Kendall Blue. Are you referring to one of them in your observations?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26662 on: June 17, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
Great list and supplemental info. I don’t see a Kendall Brown on your list, though. I see Jameel Brown and Kendall Blue. Are you referring to one of them in your observations?

Kendall Brown is a 5-star 2021 recruit that has been MU's top target in that class for awhile. He's not on the list I posted because he wasn't one of the new contacts in the past week.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26663 on: June 17, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
Endless Motor Sports
@endless_motor
·
52s
The most recent programs to contact 2022 Jason Drake of Orchard Lake St Mary’s (MI) since the direct contact period commenced:

Michigan State
Marquette
Cincinnati
Ohio U.
Western Michigan
VCU
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26664 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:35 PM »
Since there's been flurry of activity in the past few days, here's a list of all the recent contacts (credit to mostly muguru for posting them here as they come in):

2021:
Lucas Taylor: SG from NC, ranked #132 by Rivals.
Kameron Jones: PG from TN, unranked by 247. Only high major offers are MU and Florida

2022:
Gradey Dick: SF from KS, ranked #34 by 247
Kamari Lands SF from IN, ranked #37 by 247
Camden Heide: SF from MN, ranked #39 by 247
Roddy Gayle: SG from NY, ranked #43 by 247
Justin Taylor SF from VA, ranked #48 by 247
Rodney Rice: CG from MD, ranked #54 by 247
Judah Mintz: PG from DC, ranked #61 by 247
Zocko Littleton: PG from GA, ranked #64 by 247.
Ty Rodgers: SF from MI, ranked # 65 by 247
Jameel Brown CG from PA, ranekd #71 by 247
Willie Lightfoot: PG from KS, ranked #84 by 247
Mason Manning: PG from MS, ranked #87 by 247
JJ Starling: PG from NY, ranked #91 by Rivals
Tamin Lipsey: PG from IA, ranked #93 by 247
Kendall Blue: SG from MN, ranked #93 on Rivals
Alex Karaban: SF from NH, ranked #99 by Rivals
Jasen Green: SF from NE, ranked #116 by Rivals
Jaquan Harris: PG from NJ, ranked #125 by Rivals
Perry Smith Jr SF from SC, ranked #145 by Rivals
Jaden Schutt: SG from IL, ranked #146 by Rivals
Fletcher Loyer: SG from MI, unranked by 247. High major offers from Michigan, Nebraska, and Purdue
Kyle Filipowski: C from MA, unranked by 247. High major offers from UCLA, UConn, Maryland, Providence, and Xavier
JaVaughn Hannah: SG from MI, ranked by 247. High major offers from MU, TAMU, Arizona State, Ole Miss, DePaul, and Washington State
Elvis Nnaji: PF rom MN, unranked by 247. High major offers from MU and Minnesota
Trey Pettigrew: CG from IL, unranked by 247. High major offers from Illinois and Penn State
Danilo Jovanovich SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Leon Bond: SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Jeffrey Brazziel: SF from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Nik Graves: PG from NC, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Jack Rose: SG from WI, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Cade Tyson: SF from NC, unranked by 247. No high major offers
Danny Wolf PF from IL, unranked by 247. No high major offers

Outstanding work TAMU, thanks for doing this...I was going to do it myself, so you just saved me a ton of work.  8-)

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #26666 on: June 17, 2020, 08:56:18 PM »
I don't understand recruiting. I see a dozen tweets from players excitedly announcing their "offer" from Marquette. What would happen if a dozen players all said at the same time, "That's great, Marquette. I accept your offer!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26667 on: June 17, 2020, 10:46:10 PM »
I don't understand recruiting. I see a dozen tweets from players excitedly announcing their "offer" from Marquette. What would happen if a dozen players all said at the same time, "That's great, Marquette. I accept your offer!"

All offers are contingent upon other offers.  There is a pecking order.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #26668 on: June 18, 2020, 06:12:18 AM »
We change our name to Texas Tech.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26669 on: June 18, 2020, 06:51:24 AM »
All offers are contingent upon other offers.  There is a pecking order.

I agree that making "numerous offers" seems to devalue them. Prefer to see offers that mean something and ask for a prompt acceptance or denial. The "too numerous" offer approach is expensive and too time consuming.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26670 on: June 18, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »
I agree that making "numerous offers" seems to devalue them. Prefer to see offers that mean something and ask for a prompt acceptance or denial. The "too numerous" offer approach is expensive and too time consuming.

That would be a good way to end up with a roster full of low major talent.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26671 on: June 18, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
That would be a good way to end up with a roster full of low major talent.

Bucky does okay with that method. They put their energy into molding them into a team and coaching them up. As opposed to a group of more talented players who want to turn pro asap and/or are unhappy with playing time.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26672 on: June 18, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
Bucky does okay with that method. They put their energy into molding them into a team and coaching them up. As opposed to a group of more talented players who want to turn pro asap and/or are unhappy with playing time.

Bucky doesn't have as many spots to fill.  I think they only have one left for 2021 so they can be selective.

But when they do have a larger number of openings, they pretty much do the same thing.  And the idea that they don't have talent and are simply "coached up" is largely a myth.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26673 on: June 18, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »

Name another that does it well and is a successful high major.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26674 on: June 18, 2020, 07:57:40 AM »

Bucky doesn't have as many spots to fill.  I think they only have one left for 2021 so they can be selective.

But when they do have a larger number of openings, they pretty much do the same thing.  And the idea that they don't have talent and are simply "coached up" is largely a myth.

While they certainly have talent and get their share of former top 100s I do think they still get more out of player than most schools do.
Maigh Eo for Sam