[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8432836 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20550 on: September 18, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
I have a slight preference for Davis but would take Hoggard in a heartbeat.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #20551 on: September 18, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
Lots of Pitt fans (or those that remain) are convinced that Davis is theirs to lose, and a few "crystal ball-y" types in the media are figuring as much, as well.  If Capel has done one thing well thus far, it has been guard development, so I suppose it wouldn't be too big of a shock. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20552 on: September 18, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
Lots of Pitt fans (or those that remain) are convinced that Davis is theirs to lose, and a few "crystal ball-y" types in the media are figuring as much, as well.  If Capel has done one thing well thus far, it has been guard development, so I suppose it wouldn't be too big of a shock.

I think that might be the most crucial recruit in terms of getting him to the "visit" stage. While Pitt can offer time and Capel is a good coach, I think that Marquette has a lot more wow factor in terms of the Fiserv and the ability to show what the staff has done with Rowsey and Howard, relatively similar players, would be big. I think that recruitment could slant in our favor pretty quickly if we get him on campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20553 on: September 18, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
Obviously an official visit is better but he has been on campus......they have made a strong pitch already about how Davis could play a similar role at MU to Howard....which included video examples.....Davis said he was impressed by the presentation.

Not sure if he saw the Fiserv on an unofficial or not.....

Ps obviously meeting the players( including Markus) coukd be key .......you just never know what will be deciding factor or factors for a kid........everyone is different.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20554 on: September 18, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
I think there's time yet because I'm ASSUMING neither Davis or Hoggard pull the trigger for at least a couple more weeks yet, but...I would like to know where things stood with Suggs in the meantime. Because if I can reel him in, he's my #1 PG preference by far.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20555 on: September 18, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
You can reel him? Why didn’t you say so?
What in the world are you waiting for guru?
GO. GET. SUGGS!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20556 on: September 18, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
I'll take 3 or 4 years of Davis or Hoggard over 1 year of Suggs.

As Wojo has said MU needs to be old.......I'd rather have this next class grow together for 2-4 years then have to replace my point guard after living with his freshman growing pains.......

I understand others may have a different view.......which is fine.

Any one of them would be a fantastic get......I think Davis is my slight preference because of his scoring ability but give me any of them and I'm happy.

Hopefully one wants to come.........but at least we have some good guards returning if they don't.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20557 on: September 18, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »
Have seen RJ play several times live over the last few years . He is a legit NYC style point guard . Going to set the Catholic League all time scoring record . Believe he could lead MU to promised land .

We don’t know if UNC offer is truly actionable . They have him pretty far out on their official visit list. They have two spots left and let’s hope they accept those two before RJ.

It is a fair fight between MU Pitt and Georgetown if no UNC in picture .  I think we can knock out Georgetown because they have Akinjo and MC Clung soaking up playing time and ball.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20558 on: September 18, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Have seen RJ play several times live over the last few years . He is a legit NYC style point guard . Going to set the Catholic League all time scoring record . Believe he could lead MU to promised land .

We don’t know if UNC offer is truly actionable . They have him pretty far out on their official visit list. They have two spots left and let’s hope they accept those two before RJ.

It is a fair fight between MU Pitt and Georgetown if no UNC in picture .  I think we can knock out Georgetown because they have Akinjo and MC Clung soaking up playing time and ball.

Good post Herman.......I'd love to have RJ

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20559 on: September 18, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »
I hope they land an exemplary young man that represents the university well on and off the court and represents what the NCAA student ideal is
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20560 on: September 18, 2019, 05:57:16 PM »
I hope they land an exemplary young man that represents the university well on and off the court and represents what the NCAA student ideal is

With a good jump shot, deep range and a killer cross over........ ;D

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20561 on: September 18, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
2....I will take the 14% chance, because to me it's simple...as I said earlier about it's like an investment..If i take the 14% Garcia, and the 0% Osa, I will be betting on, the bigger prize coming my way...and even if I'm wrong, well, I am also betting on being able to recoup what I lost on the sure thing(Osa) by being able to find an investment just as good or better at some point down the line. And...let's for argument's sake say that as of now the 14% you list are the ACTUAL odds you have of getting Garcia(and that is just based on math by narrowing it to 7), but what if that's how he is actually handicapping it that way.."Mu has about a 14% chance of landing me now". What if those odds were 90%+ BEFORE the Osa commit, then what??
We can debate this all we want. However, we really do not know who in the long run will be the better player. The coaches have a better idea about this.
What if Garcia is a one and done, while Osa projects to be a very good four year player. Maybe Osa's versatility make him the better player. Also, just because we are 1 of 7 does not mean we have a 14% chance. I am guessing the coaches have an idea whether are chances are closer to 10% or 20%. I would take Osa and oversign, if we could also get Garcia.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20562 on: September 18, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
We can debate this all we want. However, we really do not know who in the long run will be the better player. The coaches have a better idea about this.
What if Garcia is a one and done, while Osa projects to be a very good four year player. Maybe Osa's versatility make him the better player. Also, just because we are 1 of 7 does not mean we have a 14% chance. I am guessing the coaches have an idea whether are chances are closer to 10% or 20%. I would take Osa and oversign, if we could also get Garcia.

That last line should be a philosophy of recruiting anyway. 

“Never Stop Recruiting”

Projecting next year’s roster is just guesswork in today’s college basketball landscape. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20563 on: September 18, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »

MARKUS HOWARD
DWYANE WADE
JULIANNA HORNING
MORGAN PROFITT
MEGHAN NIEMANN

ETc, etc.  Lots of people like this at MU over the years, represent us well
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #20564 on: September 18, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
With a good jump shot, deep range and a killer cross over........ ;D

...who can stay in front of his man on defense, create his own shot on offense, move without the ball and make the extra pass, w/excellent speed, and lateral quickness. 👍

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20565 on: September 18, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
...who can stay in front of his man on defense, create his own shot on offense, move without the ball and make the extra pass, w/excellent speed, and lateral quickness. 👍
and not be a cancer, nor a letter writer

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20566 on: September 18, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »

All American who leads us to the National Championship but never graduates

or

Guy who graduates with a 3.5, is in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, averages 9 points and 4 rebounds and plays in one NCAA tourney winning game in 4 years.

I'll take "A"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20567 on: September 18, 2019, 07:26:53 PM »

or

Guy who graduates with a 3.5, is in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, averages 9 points and 4 rebounds and plays in one NCAA tourney winning game in 4 years.

I'll take "A"

Which is A and which is B?

What do you do with the cancerous player C who is an All American, presumably a 3.5 GPA student, and leads a Catholic group on campus, all while being a year younger than his class?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20568 on: September 18, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »

or

I'll take "A"

Fortunately it isn't this false choice and there are plenty of excellent players that also go to class, don't sexually assault people, get good grades and are true leaders on and off the court.

As for graduating, that's definitely a goal, but plenty of great people never graduated college.  More important to me is while you are enrolled, you take it seriously, and attend class, put in the work, don't drop all classes in the second semester on your way out the door.  The school is investing in you as a player and as a person, have the respect to honor what the school has given you.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20569 on: September 18, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
Fortunately it isn't this false choice and there are plenty of excellent players that also go to class, don't sexually assault people, get good grades and are true leaders on and off the court.

As for graduating, that's definitely a goal, but plenty of great people never graduated college.  More important to me is while you are enrolled, you take it seriously, and attend class, put in the work, don't drop all classes in the second semester on your way out the door.  The school is investing in you as a player and as a person, have the respect to honor what the school has given you.

Blah, blah, blah.

"A" or "B"? Championships with good kids/average at best students (my preference) or average teams with GPAs you can brag about/feel superior about. They're both fine. Given the choice, I'll take "A" - you can have "B". We'll both be happy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20570 on: September 18, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »
Which is A and which is B?

What do you do with the cancerous player C who is an All American, presumably a 3.5 GPA student, and leads a Catholic group on campus, all while being a year younger than his class?

If you don't know whether A or B comes first I can't help you.

"C" wasn't one of the choices, but you never want a cancer on your team. I'm sure you agree. Thankfully, player "C" is a hypothetical.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #20571 on: September 18, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »
Settle the issue, why not get Davis, Hoggard and Garcia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20572 on: September 18, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »
Settle the issue, why not get Davis, Hoggard and Garcia.

+1

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20573 on: September 18, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20574 on: September 18, 2019, 11:44:18 PM »
If you don't know whether A or B comes first I can't help you.

"C" wasn't one of the choices, but you never want a cancer on your team. I'm sure you agree. Thankfully, player "C" is a hypothetical.

B has never come before A?

Agreed on C.  Change the cancerous part out and add in mental health advocate and Big East student athlete representative on NCAA panels and you have Markus Howard. A once in a generation kid, and some people want to believe he's a cancer.

I'll take Markus.  I don't know if he's player A or B or Z.  But whatever letter he is, give me that letter.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:57:30 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter