Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8719013 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16550 on: March 01, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
I realize he is scoring 26 points a game but i honestly see nothing about his game that makes me think he is ready to play in the NBA.   Flip on TBS any night of the week and look at the size and athleticism of those guys and then watch Markus play against guards with size n athleticism  look rushed and panicked while having an “off” night with 6-8 turnovers.  Hes had a number of really bad nights this year all against long athletic potential pros.
I really dont see.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16551 on: March 01, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »
I realize he is scoring 26 points a game but i honestly see nothing about his game that makes me think he is ready to play in the NBA.   Flip on TBS any night of the week and look at the size and athleticism of those guys and then watch Markus play against guards with size n athleticism  look rushed and panicked while having an “off” night with 6-8 turnovers.  Hes had a number of really bad nights this year all against long athletic potential pros.
I really dont see.

He's going against the longest, best defender every night for every team. He's our only capable ball handler. NBA teams have 3-4 guys who can handle the ball, he will never see double teams, he'll be a floor spacer. There are many reasons he'll be able to play in the NBA. Without a doubt he gets drafted whenever he enters the draft. I hope it's not until next year

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #16552 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »
He's going against the longest, best defender every night for every team. He's our only capable ball handler. NBA teams have 3-4 guys who can handle the ball, he will never see double teams, he'll be a floor spacer. There are many reasons he'll be able to play in the NBA. Without a doubt he gets drafted whenever he enters the draft. I hope it's not until next year

The NBA also has much more NBA length and NBA defense.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #16553 on: March 01, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Wow, after watching a couple of videos of Dainja, I can't help but think how good he would look on MU.  Soft hands, great handle for his size, definitely got some Davante Gardner to him.  His size alone occupies the lane, and regardless of where he ends up will be interested to see what a college strength and conditioning program does for him.  More recent videos he also seemed to be starting to really be more assertive.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16554 on: March 01, 2019, 03:37:56 PM »
Wow, after watching a couple of videos of Dainja, I can't help but think how good he would look on MU.  Soft hands, great handle for his size, definitely got some Davante Gardner to him.  His size alone occupies the lane, and regardless of where he ends up will be interested to see what a college strength and conditioning program does for him.  More recent videos he also seemed to be starting to really be more assertive.

I see a poor man's Omari Spellman.  Would be a very good player to land.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #16555 on: March 01, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »
Can definitely see the comparison to the Big Sheesh.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #16556 on: March 01, 2019, 04:09:28 PM »
I see a poor man's Omari Spellman.  Would be a very good player to land.

Cmon Lazar. You've got to NY-Post things these days.
You see a Poormari Spellman.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16557 on: March 01, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
On Markus, I think he will absolutely have a place on an NBA team and make some good money. Too good of a shooter not to. But I do think he is a low ceiling NBA prospect. I have a hard time ever seeing him as more than an NBA role player unless he can become a much better point and defender. As such, I think if he leaves early it will be as a second round pick.

There is a theoretical situation where he could come back for his senior year and show improved point guard and defensive skills and possibly turn himself into a late first round pick. I don't think it is likely, but it is possible that a strong senior year could get him into the first round. I don't follow the draft enough to know what the overall strength of the draft classes are but that could have an impact as well.

Ultimately, he will have a difficult but great decision to make. Come back for his senior year for a shot at a Final Four, NPOY, and first round pick. Or go to the NBA early and start making $$$.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16558 on: March 01, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
According to this from CBS Sports, early entrants have until June 10 to withdraw from the draft and return to college:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/

However, I also have seen May 29 listed elsewhere, stating that they have until 10 days after completion of the combine, which will end May 19

Either way, the fact is that a player must declare by mid-April and then can go to the combine (if invited), work out for teams, consult with teams, etc. But a player must make his final decision well before the draft, which is on June 20.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16559 on: March 01, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »
On Markus, I think he will absolutely have a place on an NBA team and make some good money. Too good of a shooter not to. But I do think he is a low ceiling NBA prospect. I have a hard time ever seeing him as more than an NBA role player unless he can become a much better point and defender. As such, I think if he leaves early it will be as a second round pick.

There is a theoretical situation where he could come back for his senior year and show improved point guard and defensive skills and possibly turn himself into a late first round pick. I don't think it is likely, but it is possible that a strong senior year could get him into the first round. I don't follow the draft enough to know what the overall strength of the draft classes are but that could have an impact as well.

Ultimately, he will have a difficult but great decision to make. Come back for his senior year for a shot at a Final Four, NPOY, and first round pick. Or go to the NBA early and start making $$$.
Plenty of great College Shooters not translating to the NBA so I'm not sure about that argument

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #16560 on: March 01, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
I really dont see.
I don't post much, read often, typically don't agree with you Sand Knit, but you nailed this one right on the head. I agree with this 100% - couldn't have said it any better myself.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16561 on: March 01, 2019, 04:50:23 PM »
Plenty of great College Shooters not translating to the NBA so I'm not sure about that argument

Sure, a lot of great college shooters haven't translated to the NBA. Not many Markus level shooters haven't translated to the NBA.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16562 on: March 01, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
According to this from CBS Sports, early entrants have until June 10 to withdraw from the draft and return to college:

Where do you see this?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16563 on: March 01, 2019, 04:52:04 PM »

Definitely a more svelte Davante in him, I also see a bit of Xavier Tillman, the one that got away. It's his destiny to lace 'em up at the Fiserv, I'd love to lock him up early

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16564 on: March 01, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
Will be interesting to see how often Dain winds up pulling from deep in college. Gonna depend on the team, but he could certainly be a 20-25% 3FGA/FGA guy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16565 on: March 01, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »

However, I also have seen May 29 listed elsewhere, stating that they have until 10 days after completion of the combine, which will end May 19

Either way, the fact is that a player must declare by mid-April and then can go to the combine (if invited), work out for teams, consult with teams, etc. But a player must make his final decision well before the draft, which is on June 20.

According to this, they may RETURN if undrafted post draft.....maybe I'm reading it incorrectly or the timing has changed

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/sports/ncaa-basketball-agents.html

"In a stark departure from the N.C.A.A.’s longtime ban on agents’ involvement, the reforms would permit college players who declare for the draft to employ agents, and they would extend the same exception to certain high school seniors whom U.S.A. Basketball deems elite — but only if the N.B.A. changes draft rules that currently bar players from going directly from high school to the pros.

Also notable: Players who declare for the N.B.A. draft but are not selected will be allowed to return to their college teams. Under previous rules, players with college eligibility remaining who wanted the option of returning to college could not hire an agent and had to withdraw from the N.B.A. draft well before it took place."

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16566 on: March 01, 2019, 05:01:20 PM »

Where do you see this?

82, that is the NBA's deadline for withdrawl, not the NCAA's. In order for an early entrant to keep their eligibility is to return within 10 days after the NBA combine. So the effective deadline is May 29th.

So from April 21st (deadline to declare) to May 29th (deadline to return), Marquette fans are going to be  nervously hitting refresh on scoop!
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16567 on: March 01, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
FIFY. This only applies if you don't get drafted at all, right? So if Markus goes through the process and gets picked 60th, he could not come back to MU. At least, that is my understanding. However if he didn't get drafted at all, he'd be able to return.

Got it, thanks
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16568 on: March 01, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
According to this, they may RETURN if undrafted post draft.....maybe I'm reading it incorrectly or the timing has changed

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/sports/ncaa-basketball-agents.html

"In a stark departure from the N.C.A.A.’s longtime ban on agents’ involvement, the reforms would permit college players who declare for the draft to employ agents, and they would extend the same exception to certain high school seniors whom U.S.A. Basketball deems elite — but only if the N.B.A. changes draft rules that currently bar players from going directly from high school to the pros.

Also notable: Players who declare for the N.B.A. draft but are not selected will be allowed to return to their college teams. Under previous rules, players with college eligibility remaining who wanted the option of returning to college could not hire an agent and had to withdraw from the N.B.A. draft well before it took place."

I'm not sure that this change is official yet. From the NCAA's Website:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

"College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

Does anyone know if the NBA/NBPA actually made this "expected rule change"?
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16569 on: March 01, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »

I guess i watch a guy like justin simon physically envelope him and completely shut him down and it gives me real concern. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16570 on: March 01, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »
Where do you see this?

It's just a little from the top of the page under the headline "2019 NBA Draft" and subhead "NBA Draft Key Dates." It says: "June 10: NBA EARLY ENTRANT WITHDRAWAL DEADLINE."

82, that is the NBA's deadline for withdrawl, not the NCAA's. In order for an early entrant to keep their eligibility is to return within 10 days after the NBA combine. So the effective deadline is May 29th.

So from April 21st (deadline to declare) to May 29th (deadline to return), Marquette fans are going to be  nervously hitting refresh on scoop!

Thanks.

I'm not sure that this change is official yet. From the NCAA's Website:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

"College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

Does anyone know if the NBA/NBPA actually made this "expected rule change"?

Speaking only for myself, I do not know if they made that rule change, which also was supposed to allow "elite" players to hire agents. All I've seen is the kind of "pending a rule change" language you showed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16571 on: March 01, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
I wouldn't be concerned......he will get feedback and make an informed decision.

Nobody here knows what's best for him. That's for Markus and his family to decide.

He isn't going to grow......he might think that this is his best chance to get drafted.....'.he might want to come back.....graduate....and play on a great MU team next season.

Either way I'm good.......he has been a joy to watch and will be a great ambassador for MU going forward.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:41:52 PM by MuMark »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16572 on: March 01, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
My guess is he’s waiting on Howard, whom I believe is 99% gone. He’s not going to grow 3 inches his senior year. His team is going to win big east, he’s going to be Big East POY, he averaging 26 a game and will finish his career 2nd (maybe 1st) on the all time scoring list. What else can he do? If he comes back scouts will only pick apart his game. Plus he’s a small guy, risk for injury. He’s be foolish to come back if he’s guaranteed to get drafted.

What else can he do?? Uh, how about win a National Championship next year. Markus is a different kid, He came in with Sam(his best friend), and just can't see him leaving Sam. I mean, he didn't even put his name in the draft last year(which was surprising to me, why not get an evaluation?).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16573 on: March 01, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »
It's just a little from the top of the page under the headline "2019 NBA Draft" and subhead "NBA Draft Key Dates." It says: "June 10: NBA EARLY ENTRANT WITHDRAWAL DEADLINE."

No. You didn’t address my question. See the bolded part.

Tbh, there is mass confusion about where things are. Most people look to the re-gurg articles from August.

Another example of crappy journalism.

Someone should step up and give a good status update in a national publication so people like MU82 aren’t quoting weird tables from random websites.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16574 on: March 01, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
What else can he do?? Uh, how about win a National Championship next year. Markus is a different kid, He came in with Sam(his best friend), and just can't see him leaving Sam. I mean, he didn't even put his name in the draft last year(which was surprising to me, why not get an evaluation?).

I agree plays as a front runner for national player of the year, breaks all kinds of records, demonstrates another year of growth as a ball handler and facilitator and he becomes a for sure first round player as opposed to a probable second round draftee and embarks on the Vander Blue journey.  Id rather see him take the Henry Ellenson route in regards to draft choice positioning.